• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Creating a Bossfight

Level 9
Seems very useful and informative, may teach beginners how to make boss battles. Many of the maps I play are not as entertaining and seem to be escapable etc...

Good tutorial, and seems very useful and uses some evidence, +rep.

Level 12
Not to notice the amount of noobs reading this tut...

Well a simple way to get the boss to cast the abilities would be...
  • Cast Fire
  • Events-
    • Elapsed Game time is <your time here>
  • Conditions
  • Actions-
  • Loop- For each (integer A) 1 to <end number> do actions.
    • Actions-
      • wait 2 seconds
      • Order <Boss Unit> to -Human BloodMage Flamestrike- random point in region
Beware of leaks! And Sorry if this didn't make much sense. Part with the Flamestrike is found in unit- Give Order targeting a point.

Level 12
True. True. But if in a small arena this formula works fine. I created this as just one trigger not a whole bossfight. But thanks for the constructive criticism. One thing though. When using postion of unit, make sure you are using delayed spells like flame strike. Else, you can't avoid and its pointless. +rep to SlayerII

Level 9
You can make every spell delayed :grin:
just give 2 or 3 seconds casting time so you can evade.
In additoion i normaly use some slow spells before the damage spell to mage avoiding harder.

a and im not exactly using poinz of a unit i made a system whoch gives something like the midd of all heros in the boss area. I tested this method and it nearly alwway hitted something(exept when the heros spred to much, but the area was quit small so you cant really spread like that often)

Level 2
question, how do u make the bosses cast the ability?

triggers?:wink:
this much simple as you think there are 2 different boss-abilities
1. is the normal boss ablities that he does in the fight maybe like Firestorm or something

2. is the special/events abilities like "Ultimate Volcano" where every time in the arena Volcano spawn.

i hope that helped you a bit

Level 14
Hmmm, I was looking at my Level 3 Bossfight Video (as it just hit 1000 views) and was looking at insight data, and saw a very interesting trend. There is a tool called on youtube insight called hotspots that show the peaks when people are interested and watching (Hot), and low points when people are leaving or fast forwarding through (Cold). In my Level 3 Bossfight video the peaks were at the EXACT moment when the phases changed!!! As the phase dragged along, it steadily started getting colder, until another phase change instantly made it hot again! This emphasizes greatly the importance on phase changes to make the boss battle fun and attention catching!

~Asomath

Level 1

How to Create a Proper Bossfight

Reason: The reason I am making this tutorial/walkthrough is due to the lack of interesting bossfights in WC3 maps. The thread I made "pieces to a good and interesting bossfight" went very well, so I decided to create a tutorial. I believe that bossfights play a key role in RPG's as well as other maps, and for that, this is created......................

hi m8,
help me a bit because i'm a noob in map making...
your boss fight is good but you don't explain how u do that, you only explain "the idea" and the concept of the fight, but not "how" we can do that.
probably i lost some info...i wondered where i can find the:
1 boss hero settings
2 triggers

than i go little OT and i ask you how can i manage this:
setting up a playable hero hero with 3 autocast spells. def is 1 only right?)
is there a variable to change?
for example, i use a tank at boss and i want an healer (hero) that cast 3 differents heals on me when all 3 spells have "autocast" setting on

can u help me in this?

Level 5
Hi. This might've been a very very long time since this thread was actually replied to. I'm making a map that's solely made for a single, memorable and heart-tearing bossfight.

This is what I did:
The map a rectangular shape, on each end has hills you can climb on to.
There are 4 obelisks aligned like the corners of a square near the boss (Lich).
There are 2 gates on the sides, one swarming with undead and the other empty.
There are 2 statues on the top near the throne.
Passively, frost novas explode around the map every 0.39 seconds. (makes you want to move always)
So far, here's the phases I've made (and very successful in test):
1. The lich becomes invulnerable and starts absorbing energy from the obelisks. Within 30 seconds you have to destroy these.
Each obelisk destroyed lessens the damage dealt by the magic wave after the timer ends. However, if you destroy them all before 30 seconds, the lich stops channeling but gains additional damage for a brief duration.
2. The lich breaks the statues and gargoyles rise from them, making the fight all the more difficult because these gargoyles have a defense aura that affects the lich.
3. This is a surprise phase that will randomly happen. the exploding ice everywhere stops; the players have to be aware of this because after this, one random player will be ejected with a powerful frost nova; this frost nova does not damage the target himself, but autokills his allies nearby.
4. All four hills become available for entrance. However, only one of these hills are safe from the Lich's magic wave. The problem is, only one player is alerted on which hill is safe, and the screen blinks white!
5. Instantly moves players near the Lich, this is a problem because players are taken by surprise. Then the lich will just suddenly burst ice around him. Players need that small time span to move away from the lich. This is a reoccurring event and each time span shorter and shorter.

Sorry if you had to read all that.
My question is, since I'm planning to make even harder events, are these too extreme now?