• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Compo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
I thought of this minor contest while in the chatroom earlier.

The gist of it is, that people draw/paint/assemble some form of concept art -- and the winning entry is turned into a full model by me, and released.

It would be a one-off compo, theme being based around mechanics (of course) -- a vehicle; a giant robot, small robot, legged, wheeled, hovering, perhaps structures; turrets, factories...

For my part, all I would need is a companion to do texture(s) for the final piece (who could, of course, not participate in the competition).

The 'winner' would be judged not only on their drawing/painting/assembling skill, but in the goodness of their idea (ie not carbon-copied off Starcraft); and how well they get that idea across in a single image (that is, the image is clear/concise enough to make assembling a model from it relatively easy).

Participants might be disqualified for ripping straight off other games (including, but not limited to, Starcraft), or for making designs that would be completely impossible to make/animate.

How to judge: a public poll (after impossible entries have been discounted, as above).

---

So, comments, potential participation levels...?:infl_thumbs_up:

Level 23
I have kharma interested, but wanted to keep it open in case he decided to enter. I'll poke him when next he appears.

Horn's got a full-time job now, there's no use annoying him further. I need somebody alive and ready for when the contest is done; while I can guarantee my own activity, I don't want the prize to disappear down a hole because my partner decided to take a six-year excursion to Mars and back.

For rules, I'd say the usual slew; has to be made by you, during the compo time, etc.

As for an actual image, I was thinking either one large image, or up to three or four smaller (less detailed) sketches; so that those of us not so gifted with the pen and paper have a better chance to illustrate just what they're getting at.

Level 6
Would giant/small robots that have the same idea as the movie Transformers but not exactly like the robots themselves count? if they do, I'm in

Level 23
If you can adequately portray both forms and some intermediate stages of the transformation, there is absolutely no reason why not.

Though I might stress that I might have to significantly alter the design in order to make the transformation work, if you fail to draw it in a manner that I can work with.

Level 8
When will this be made into a contest. I am not too good an artist but when I get inspired, I can make some good looking things.

Will you put the model into RDZ Industries, or will it be allied with the RDZ Industries' leading rival?

Level 23
The model will be totally and completely unrelated to the RDZ Industries universe (unless the winning design is so totally awesome that I have to butcher it -- and don't count on that, please, because it's less likely to happen than, say, getting struck by lightning when you're in a concrete bunker three miles underground).

The contest will begin on the 1st of November.

Level 6
Does it have to be colored? from my perspective.. I hate color in my drawings... Also, are there any "penalties" if you get disqualified? say.. This person gets disqualified... does he get neg rep or something?:confused:

EDIT: Also, whats the deadline? you didn't say in the first post

Status
Not open for further replies.