• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art Contest #9 - Poll

Who shall be crowned winner of this contest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
[CENTER=]
user160036_pic59500_1342547064-png.241100

concept%20art.png
contest.png
number.png
9.png
poll.png

cac9int-jpg.243781

Image is courtesy of Clint Langley.

Overwhelming Odds
Contestants are to create a group of people or a single character faced with insurmountable odds or overwhelming numbers of enemies. For example, a knight vs a demon, a squad of marines vs a swarm. Despite their/his oncoming death, "these/this hero/es" faced it with valor and courage, despising fear as it stares at their/his eyes.
[/CENTER]

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on an award icon. Also the chance of getting a unique thematic rank icon done specifically regarding preference.
    • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
    • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon
judges.png

• Each judge will receive 5 reputation points.
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Theme
Does the artist take advantage of the theme, or is the vision unfitting?/10%

Execution
Does the artist display the design in an effective manner, or is it hard to tell what is what? Are artistic techniques used effectively to make the character interesting, or does the style deteriorate the concept? Is the appearance of the design objectively pleasing, or is it of low quality?/25%

Concept
Does the design offer a new creative approach, or is it generic and cliché? Does it have character, or is it just another boring design? Does the design make sense and fit the description, or is it necessary to read the title to understand?/40%

Realism
Does the design balance, or are the proportions impractical? Is the anatomy or construction correct, does it allow the character to move as it should, or is functionality disregarded entirely?/25%

• 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
entries.png

ContestantEntry
Mr.GoblinClick
GunSlingerClick
Edge45Click
HappyCockroachClick
SanClick
deepstraszClick
TheKurt009Click
FlyphorClick
NazeClick

disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs. <3

Last edited:
Reactions: ILH

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Oh my, why am I on the poll? It's just a wip, not finished yet...

Most entries look very fantastic, and fancy. But I don't feel anything "odd" about them, maybe because I often saw similar occurrences in games and some movies. I find San's entry is the oddest one (in a good way of course), very nice concept, very nicely done.

Last edited:
Reactions: San
Oh my, why am I on the poll? It's just a wip, not finished yet...

Most entries look very fantastic, and fancy. But I don't feel anything "odd" about them, maybe because I often saw similar occurrences in games and some movies. I find San's entry is the oddest one (in a good way of course), very nice concept, very nicely done.

compare to the other one who only sudmited WIPs you were the only one who didn't specify you wanted to be out of the competition. :S

another contest where mr.goblin is, for me, one of two in contention for deserving my vote.

and just like the last one, while i can easily say his work is on another level in terms of polish, detail, composition etc. (i.e. he wins in execution and realism categories), another entry stole my vote via its concept (and it also, imo, embodied the theme slightly better). gj kurt

didn't know the hive still had so many damn good artists tho, respect to all entrants.

Last edited:
Level 16
another contest where mr.goblin is, for me, one of two in contention for deserving my vote.

and just like the last one, while i can easily say his work is on another level in terms of polish, detail, composition etc. (i.e. he wins in execution and realism categories), another entry stole my vote via its concept (and it also, imo, embodied the theme slightly better). gj kurt

didn't know the hive still had so many damn good artists tho, respect to all entrants.

that was...
actually that was the first time i've been complemented like that. I've never joined contests because i thought i wasn't good enough and it won't be worth to put up.
All the learning i have done have been building up to this moment, and i'm already proud to just even be joining this contest. You guys don't know how special it was for me to even join haha!
back then in 2011-2013 i only wished to join but now? haha daaamn i'm happy

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
WHAAAT!? I was included as a participant!? But...

So, yeah, my vote goes to Naze (it has pretty much everything: lights, shadows, creatures and whatnot except realistically looking people). I really wanted to go with Mr. Goblin (the water ripple and reflection and the scared look) but parts of the main image were just left sketchy. TheKurt009's has too much ocean rain and the main idea is pretty much cliche.

Please get me out of the contest. I only tried to stir interest. That entry cannot be taken seriously, not even if it were finished.

WHAAAT!? I was included as a participant!?
Please get me out of the contest. I only tried to stir interest. That entry cannot be taken seriously, not even if it were finished.

hey look, even if you don't think you'll get votes, that doesn't mean your drawing doesn'T deserve to be here. + concept-art competitions are a great way to get free critiques from people even if it only goes through the judging.

Level 28
So, yeah, my vote goes to Naze (it has pretty much everything: lights, shadows, creatures and whatnot except realistically looking people). I really wanted to go with Mr. Goblin (the water ripple and reflection and the scared look) but parts of the main image were just left sketchy.

Thank you for the vote deepstrasz! However I think my entry has plenty of spaces looking sketchy if you look closely. Just kidding you don't need to look closely they can be clearly seen from afar lol.

concept-art competitions are a great way to get free critiques from people even if it only goes through the judging.

/\ that.

@TheKurt009 always read the rule-set of contest threads before delving straight in. It is much better for you and for everyone else. :]
Your vote, as we do for first instance, will be ignored. But know this, second time it happens, we won't take it lightly, so do try to avoid doing it in the future.

@deepstrasz that's alright. We're not becoming more skilled by each hour. It takes a lot of time to improve and notice the mistakes that we're making in the process. For now, I think it's best to leave it and instead, focus on bettering yourself given the subsequent judging that will come.

Level 34
voted for flyphor, i like the concept and the style (even for a wip), i hope to see it finished soon.

Also, i'm sorry for not doing an enty for the contest, i said i will participate but in the end i couldn't manage to make any sketch u_u (but i promise that for the next contest i will do my best!)

Level 15
WHAAATT..... WHERE IS MY ENTRY?!?!!

jk i didnt make it lol

Also, i'm sorry for not doing an enty for the contest, i said i will participate but in the end i couldn't manage to make any sketch u_u (but i promise that for the next contest i will do my best!)
Hmmm... I also said this on previous contest and I didnt make it.

But next time I will make it from day 1 (if i remember my words here)

And I can be the judge, but i'm too scared for it. My observing and writing skillxz are suckzz. Also if i be the judge i will say "And the winner is Master Goblin!! He promised to give me 99999reps so i make him as the winner!"

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
So dang, another great Concept Art Contest.

Among the "finished" ones (Mr. Goblin, Gunslinger, Edge45, TheKurt009, Naze), I think it's clear that Mr. Goblin burned down the barn, once again. Special mention to Edge45 (nice colors) & Naze (really creative interpretation), though.

Among the "unfinished" ones (just line-art, LIKE TRUE CONCEPT ART SHOULD BE D: ) (HappyCockroach, San, deepstrasz, Flyphor), San's had the most detail & was the most visually intriguing (HC's was quite creative). However, I really loved yours Flyphor; even unfinished it just looked like something I'd see coming out of Warcraft or some other fantasy. What you finished of the knight had some really schweet definite lines, and that ice/rock/etc golem thing bearing down on him looks positively menacing.

Thus, though it's clear Mr. Goblin owned face yet again, I am going to be contrary and vote for my favorite line-art, San.

Good job to all contestants!

Level 15
Oh my goat!! The Newcomer Kurt beat The Master Goblin. I will vote for Kurt. But i think i will vote deeptraz because he likes to give me reps. Or, Master Goblin because he is Master Goblin. Hmm.... what a dilemma

Eh... where is Nightstalker's entry?

Level 15

deeptraz
I'm not sure what is that. Surely a mage, and books. And he is smoking. I think this is far from complete so i cant say much

edge45
A tentackel man vs a giant turtle monster. Looking badass. But surely it need much more detail on everything, and defining that strange guy more. Proportion looks fine, only that monster stomace looks abit weird. From the perspective it seems that monster has super long legs too, might be more interesting if that monster is climbing that hill. The lighting, well, i think might be need some more reflection, and darken that monster body. You should combine thing with your amazing environment painting!

flyphor
somehow i think this got the best concept. if only this finished.... because this looks so great!! that guy looks lost hope though lol. Proportion is fine, but the perspective got a bit wrong. That guy should be lowered a bit imo. Not much to say...

gunslinger
i have zero idea about this.... lol sorry.

happy cockroach
That cockroach looks totally happy. Very creative.

Master goblin
Got the most pro looking here. But i cant really see the aliens, maybe still unfinished. Still too crowded for now (but his newest progress is totally amazing, surely i'll vote for him if this one finished)

naze
creepy.. a sacrifice and seems someone want to help him. or just watch him for fun.

san
nice and simple. that ginseng looks weird, remind me to something else (cant recall it).

kurt
this scene remind me to Final fantasy 15. this looking pro too. But that girl looks like leaning forward lol.love the atmostpher here (if only edge did the samthing i'll vote for him)

Then my vote goes to...... Nightstalker yay!!!

Level 9
Bok!! Can't believe i missed it. Im still struggling in New York. I need a computer and graphics tablet tho. Tired of ipad craps.. You guys did a great job on this one. Mr.Goblin you just nailed it bro, that work piece im seeing over there my friend.. Is full of Fantasy. I just loved it.

life happened, sorry for the delay. I'll compile the results later tonight.

---

Edit = I have compile the results, but we have some technical issues. You'll have the results before halloween. Till then = don'T eat to many candies :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.