1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Let your favorite entries duke it out in the 15th Techtree Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Weave light to take you to your highest hopes - the 6th Special Effect Contest is here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Concept Art Contest #5 - Mythology

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Pyritie, Oct 12, 2010.

1. M0rbid

M0rbid

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Are you implementing that I should judge the contest? :p

2. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I'd like to state that while understanding whats 'up' with a peice of art is imporant, its fairly imporant to be able to regale your reviewing experience.

3. shiiK

shiiK

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ah, no, not necessarily. It was just the first example that came to mind. ;)

4. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Anatomy is a moot point, this is about mythological creatures.

5. Billy the Cat

Billy the Cat

Resources:
    Resources:
    A lot of creature designs are based of existing species. Just because the creature isn't real doesn't mean it doesn't have to be realistic/believable.

6. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Art and Graphic Design Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    YOU FAIL!

(at least in my book you do)

Making anatomy and bone structure logical: is the different between, cool concepts and Breath taking concept that marks your life. To be a concept artist there's so much more to consider, the different between the professional and the fan boy IS here...

More logical is a creature anatomy wise, bone structure wise, muscle structure wise, and easier it is to imagine this creature COULD live/eat/walk/breath/drink/live/reproduce....

7. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    ... you don't get what i meant by that do you?

Nvm, forget i said it.

one last thing though: Since when does mythology attend to the logical/realistic? I KNOW that somthing can look better or worse if it has acurate anatomical aspects... thats somthing 5th grades know, its common sense... my knowlage of anatomy isnt going to affect my judging of the cold star or the kraken. obviously if the tentacles were attaced by hairs to the main body i would rasie a point, but i'm not jduging the concept am i? i am judging the art. (and if not, then maybe the concept has an explanation for the hairs, its not my place to judge how magic works.)

like i said nvm... forget i said it.

8. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Now that will be tricky to answer..

This is a CONCEPT ART competition, so you have to focus on the concept, more than the art skills.. now, you have to consider that, the art skills also help making the concept look more realistic and logical, those who are skilled in art, usually involve much more hours of practice and drawing and OBSERVATION. Soo logically, they will tend to make a concept more realistics than those who aren't good at drawing. Altough, that last statement is logical in a way, but it doesn't mean that those who aren't good in drawing don't have a good understanding of anatomy and bone structures etc.

Now, that have been said, the point of ''proportions and logical body structure and anatomy'' have been solve I presume, now concerning the textures of the creature that have been concepted. It is hard to tell if a creature is made out of stone with hair over it and a magic shield around it, if the artist doesn't have the skills to represent it, so IN A WAY inded, the art can help the concept artist to get a better understanding of their concept.

So that's usually why concept artists tend to write side notes to indicate diffrent points that aren't clear, next to their concepts and sketch.

Now, you should understand that, even if we are talking about mystical creatures, all those rules should be applyed.

So I presume, the best way for you to judge fairly each contestant is
    = consider the logic of the concept (anatomy wise, how it can eat, breath, reproduce, etc.)
    = consider the look of the concept (look, diffrent features, clothing, etc.)
    = consider the ''general description'' involved around that concept (what is it supose to represent, is it original to represent that creature that way?, etc.)

That's about it... I invite you to comment on this.

9. Zealon

Zealon

Resources:
    Resources:
    Why is this such a big deal? Can't we just let the poor guy judge?

10. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    if he doesn't have what it needs to be a good judge, than I claim someone who has the right knowledges to be judging. (not to discredit you TWIF, or anything, but I still remember that old Concept art competition of yours.)

11. Pyramidhe@d

Pyramidhe@d

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nudl9 wanted to judge
    i guess you guys missed it all in your bickering

12. Dromlexer

Dromlexer

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh! "Cartoonish" are not allowed.... I'm not good at drawing "realistic". =(

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  13. Zealon

Zealon

Resources:
    Resources:
    The contest is over XD

14. 04gusigo

04gusigo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I don't really get what is so hard... but I believe you should judge according to this:

[​IMG]
    "Correct"ness Does the creature/human have realistic anatomy? (Like if the structure of the design is balanced and aesthetically pleasing.) Does the environment make geological sense? Etc. /15
    Creativity How inventive is the concept? Does the creature/environment look original or does it look generic? /15
    Theme How well does the concept fit into the theme of mythology? /15
    Style How well does the entrant take advantage of their medium? Do they show creativity in their depiction? Is the style suitable for a concept? /5
    • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
    • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
    Then to award more marks for each of the section, you can start judging in detail(like anatomy).

15. -Berz-

-Berz-

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    ^ This

16. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I agree with your points goblin, disagree with a few points, but wont touch on them but this: I was in the understanding that the concept art contest was more focused on the art aspect.

But again, is the judge supposed to be able to judge magic? Should i say: "your magic sucks GTFO" ... ? no. Judging a concept is ... well oppinion... its a concept, you need some kind of referance point, and this concept doesent have it.

I understand and would be able to apply everything in the afore mentioned categories. You need a judge. And I'm a fine one, with prefectly adequate art-appreciation. Again, i understand anatomy, but it may just be a moot point, because most judging anyones going to do comes more from oppinion than textbook around that matter. knowlage does matter, and i have it, but its not somthing so easily judged... seing as this is about magical creatures... referance kraken comment.

The question is:
    Do i not have whats needed to be a judge?
    I think i have whats needed. Nurdle maybe does too, although we havent run him through hoops like me yet.

I volunteered to help out, I have the skills. If you want me to GTFO say so, but give me a good reason other than i messed up in the entrie requirements of an unrelated contest. (Which I didn't Judge)

... I'm Doing this so you guys can have a judge...

And franky, not being an artist yourself doesent matter (using the term artist lightly) A good artist can still have a horrible understanding of anatomy and other things, but still be able to make something universally pleasing. you could also be a really lousy critic. and in some ways, somone who isnt an 'artist' can be a much better judge of art.

So ya, i ranted too long.
    Take nurdle on once you jump him though the hoops i've gone through. and while your at it, say fuck off or come on in to me... -.- this is getting annoying.

17. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nudl9 is an experienced artist. He's the kind of guy I'd pick for a judge. I never saw any of your drawings, TWIF, so I can't judge that.

Although I do wonder... Who the hell is 'nurdle'?

18. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    my '9' has a press down issue.

19. Tails96

Tails96

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    OK, we still have no judges, but the public poll could start...

Oh, and I don't know Nudl9, but I'm sure that he can judge together with you.

20. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Basically to sum up whati meant is: Anatomy will be easy to judge, i was just curous exactly how to go about judging it in context with a concept that may/may not conflict. I have ideas, but obviously somone knows what to do.

Edit - ShiiK cleared it up for me. Full understanding.