1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ride into the sunset in the 32nd Modeling Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Concept Art Contest #5 - Mythology

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Pyritie, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Dentothor

Dentothor

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    i agree... why in the world would you be a judge?

2. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Why in the world not? the contest needs a bloody judge and i can do it. you are dichotomizing my position, I am more than just a writer.

3. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I could sign up for judgement if none others want to take part in it.
    I know alot about image composure from photographing and i have studied quite of human anatomy on my own.

4. Krl70

Krl70

Resources:
    Resources:
    So, do we get to spam Pyritie to open a poll like we did on emoticon contest while we wait for some judges to get selected, or do we have to wait for the judge conflict to solve up?

EDIT: How delightful! 400 posts! I feel like spinning in a celebratory fashion!

5. Lich Prince

Lich Prince

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wait for some judges to be selected.

6. ike_ike

ike_ike

Resources:
    Resources:
    You don't have the greatest history with concept art contests. Emphasis on the concept art.

concept art

concept art

concept art
    concept art

7. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I didn't judge it if i remeber correctly. It was my mistake, on what i wanted to be presented as the concept, i should have been more specific, on the entry paramaters, everything else was adequate.

This i me judging a art contest, not making one, or anything else, there is little correlation between events. I am not having the argument about my fail with my own contests entry parameters again.

Py, am i judging or not?

I have the requisite knowlage of anatomy, art stlyes, whatever you need, just because i'm not great at art doesent mean i cant judge it well and provide a well documented judges opinion. hell, writing is half of the work anyway... (not really) -.- just hurry up and make a decision, people want the judging to start.

8. Tails96

Tails96

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    OK, men, this is madness (madness? THIS IS HIVE WORKSHOP!!!!). TWIF is not a drawer. HOWEVER he can still have a basic (or even advanced) practice in judging some pictures. Actually, I think that if a picture is really good, then anyone can tell it that it is better than the other. It depends on the style and not the talent.
    Anyway, I think there will be a public poll too, am I right?

9. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Yup there is.

10. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    TWIF, the only problem here is that you keep talking about pictures, art, anatomy and etcetera. Do you even know what a CONCEPT art is?

11. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I never said anyhting about pictures.

This is silly.

You need a judge.
    I fit the critera.
    There arent that many other people who want to be a judge.
    I have a fine grasp of art.
    Fine theoretical understanding of art (even though i am no artist)
    and am a fine critic.

We all want this to be judged, and you havent given a reason why i shouldent.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  12. -Berz-

-Berz-

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I don't understand you people...

If TWIF is being a judge, then all concepts will be rated by the same criteria, right? And what is the problem here? -There isn't any. Instead of being happy that we HAVE a judge(not like in hero contest where they are waiting for over 6 months) there are always people whining. I'm not having nothing against anybody, I'm just telling my point of view.

13. Grey Nightmare

Grey Nightmare

Resources:
    Resources:
    Seems like you need a judge.
    To me seems like only TWIF is volunteering.
    Take TWIF or carry on waiting guys =/

14. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    One of my points.

-Berz- Also represents another of my points.

15. 67chrome

67chrome

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I think writing is more like 90% of the work with judging things...Basically you have to convey the successes and failures of a piece into words, and possibly write down ways in which it could be improved to offer a little constructive feedback.

As long as you don't say you simply like something, don't like something, or think something is interesting. By themselves such phrases are virtually meaningless. When fallowed by an objective description of what invoked such subjective responses they become more useful. The more objective the feedback, the better.

I don't see a focus on writing as a problem with judging.

Anyways, most of the time the poll opens when the contest is over, and the judgment results take another month to come in. So it would be nice if the poll was up...

16. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Let him judge, its not like anyone else will.

17. Pyritie

Pyritie

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  18. shiiK

shiiK

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I can't say I agree that writing is half the job (I know you were joking, TWIF), even if it's part of the effort to write a review, writing a review doesn't depend on how well you can write, but how well you can express what's wrong - and that again builds on your knowledge within art, or specific fields that relate to art in such a way it can be judged (such as a medicine student, that has studied anatomy, being able to judge whether the anatomy of a human is plausible or not). In the end, though, being a poet has nothing to do with being able to review, and judge, artwork. Being an artist and/or having an education within art (and other relevant fields).

I'm not saying TWIF shouldn't judge, I'm just pointing out that he's not perfect for the job (and not proven to be qualified). I don't mind if TWIF judges, but if there are better options, I prefer those.

19. Tails96

Tails96

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Wow, pretty nice entries. And quite a lot. Congrats everyone. Good luck. :thumbs_up:

Will there be only 1 judge?

20. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Well yes, My skill hasnt been proven but i am the only one who volunteered and I do belive I myself have the requisite knowlage and ability to express whats 'up' with a piece of art.

I'm just trying to help, if Pyra and other skilled artists come up and want to judge, hell take them.