• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Computer Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I've been having computer problems lately. My computer cannot detect my graphics card. I am using NVidia GeForce FX 5200 and my OS is Windows XP Service Pack 2. In other words, I'm screwed because I can't play Warcraft III.

A little help... would be useful.

Level 3
No, this is the first time. It worked fine before. It came with a CD that I obviously lost. My dad's friend said that all I need to do is to download the NVIDIA Driver. It won't work however, just keeps saying that it can't locate any current compatible hardware. I think it's because my computer cannot detect the damned card. I ran DxDiag and in the display options, it was stated as n/a.

All the information I have to offer so far.

Level 2
Just throwing some stuff out there:

If something with the driver messed it up, you can do a System Restore before you installed the driver. Or just try and go back to a time you remember it working, something you may have installed/changed since then may have caused your computer to not detect your video card.
Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

You can open up your Device Manager and check under Display Adapters to see if your computer sees your video card at all.
Right Click on My Computer > Manage > Device Manager > Display Adapters
or Start > Run > devmgmt.msc

If your computer doesn't see/detect the video card, if you feel up to it, you can open up the case and make sure that it is installed properly, just be gentle.

Level 8
Has the video card, to your knowledge, been modified in any way shape or form, or perhaps damaged? Maybe it's because your motherboard doesn't support this kind of card. You can have AGP, or PCI/PCI Express. Does your motherboard support the kind you have? (This is a very common mistake for computer noobies, but I'm not saying that you are one.) Were you the one who bought the card, or someone else?

Level 5
First check if the card is in it's right place physically.
Then install the software you got with your video card.
If it is not working, download the most recent driver from the vendor's home page.

Check other programs that need 3d video cards if they are working with your card. It is possible that you need to reinstall W3 to make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.