1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Complete and Utter Failure

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hakeem, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No amount of spam will hold me at bay.
    Yes, once they are realized. Right now, they aren't. If oil were to critically deplete right now, a giant chunk of civilization would collapse. You think this is not going to be the case in 20 years? Why the hell would it not be the case?
    No. The opposite is true. They lose money by telling us. They want us to buy up their oil down to the last expensive drop.
    And how many people will die while they're doing that? These things take time.
    What makes you think that? What do you know about oil that makes you sure enough to stake your life on there being oil for your entire lifetime?
    Yes. Yes, indeed, they have. I don't believe them though. Mostly because they give no explanation as to why it will end. The ones that do give an explanation don't make sense. This is why I see cause for alarm. This one is plausible.
    Because this crisis is projected to occur before then? Certainly it is expected to occur before Mars is livable.
    Right. And how do you get any power when everyone wants their own power? How am I supposed to get power over you if you want power over me? You will reject any attempt anyone makes to get power, and so will everyone else. The result is that the power is distributed equally.

Hint: An easy way to attack my argument is to revoke your statement that everyone will want power. Instead you say that most or some people want power. This allows for positions of power to form. You can use this argument free of charge, but I will warn you that I have already prepared a counter argument.

Of course, every which way you construe humans to work, anarchy will always be the best approach. This is because any system of power relies on the people in power to be better than the average person, which is not the case because the people in power are people too.

EDIT: We ought to move this anarchy debate elsewhere.

2. NoAmmoSrry

NoAmmoSrry

Resources:
    Resources:
    hakeem so you think that 2012 is a pluasible end of the world scenario? Can you please explain cause I dont understand.

3. Steel_Stallion

Steel_Stallion

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Your right, I do revoke my statement.

Its not about everyone wanting more power than the other, its who can actually get that power to begin with. There will be conflict, but in the end there will be a winning side, and one side will end up with more power than the other. Oh look, conflict. Haven't fixed much, have we?

4. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No. The date changing is not an explanation for why the world would end. I am referring to oil depletion as the plausible scenario for civilization collapse.
    If this is true of humans, then no system can ever work. Fortunately, this is not true for everyone. I know my neighbors have no desire for power over me, nor I them. We're happy just living our lives in peace. People seem to think they want power, but often when given it, they realize that it comes with something else that people tend to not be very fond of: Responsibility.

Yes, people do like a bit of power, but are you willing to physically fight, and possibly kill, your neighbors for power? I can personally answer, "No," and I'd say most people think the same.

5. Steel_Stallion

Steel_Stallion

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Our History says otherwise.

6. cool_is_i

cool_is_i

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I heard a rumor that some oil companies are holding on to some oil, and saying that there is little left, so they can sell it for a high price when there is very little left.

im not saying there is lots left, just that their probably stockpiling them.
    It will still run out eventually.

7. BlargHonk

BlargHonk

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hell, the fricken US is stockpiling oil.

It's for emergency use.

8. cool_is_i

cool_is_i

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    or to sell to the richest buyer...

9. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yes. However, it would be fair to say we've changed a lot in the last hundred years, would it not?

10. Masiah

Masiah

Resources:
    Resources:
    In science? Quite a lot. In nature? As good as always.

11. Steel_Stallion

Steel_Stallion

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    We've marginally improved, but we haven't changed; big difference there.

12. BlargHonk

BlargHonk

Resources:
    Resources:
    We now know where babies come from, they didn't know 100 years ago :)

13. NoAmmoSrry

NoAmmoSrry

Resources:
    Resources:
    from the butt right?

14. BlargHonk

BlargHonk

Resources:
    Resources:
    No, how the egg is fertilized.

People used to think that there were tiny people inside of sperm. :\

15. NoAmmoSrry

NoAmmoSrry

Resources:
    Resources:
    WTF THERES TINY PPL IN MY SPERM! o_O

16. BlargHonk

BlargHonk

Resources:
    Resources:
    No, they used to think that

17. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I suppose so.

Come to think of it, I don't think the peasants of old were any more willing to fight each other than common citizens are today. It's always the people in power who want to fight each other for power. The only reason the average person supports their government going to war is because they are irrationally scared for their own safety. Without a large or powerful enough government, how do you presume war to start?

18. NoAmmoSrry

NoAmmoSrry

Resources:
    Resources:
    So... we should have 1 big government then?

19. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ideally, yes. Unfortunately, with most governments, this would result in a "civil war," of sorts. The trick is finding a method by which we can all agree.

20. BlargHonk

BlargHonk

Resources:
    Resources:
    There will always be people who aren't content and try to get to power.

It's human nature to be the most powerful.