• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Combat Zone 3.6

Reactions: DrunkenPanda200
Combat Zone is some kind of Battlefield for Warcraft III. It has a very good, almost lagg-free physic engine, and uses only arrow keys and hotkeys. The physics contain knockback, acceleration, sliding, ground friction, air friction, uplift, gravity, collision damage and bouncing. An AI is included, for Aiming Rockets and for extra AI bots which can be added ingame (-addbot 0 will make a bot follow player 0, red). The map uses Warcraft only for hotkeys and for placing the models, movement and so on is completely scripted and optimized as much as possible. Currently the map is some kind of demonstration, not a real map, it has no victory conditions, but makes fun nontheless. There are different vehicles like planes (Me 109, F22, A10, B17, B2 Stealth, MIG-29), helicopters (Cobra, Orca), ground vehicles (Hellhound, Hammerhead, Tank, MLRS, Jeep, Titan) with all different characteristics. Want to fly into the enemy with your plane and use your ejector seat milliseconds before impact and then open your parachute? Or unleash the force of a nuclear bomb? Nail your enemies with Machine Guns? Start a futuristic war with Plasma and Photon Guns? Burn your opponent with a Flame Thrower? Use a Smoke Grenade and overrun him? Teleport next to him? Evade his missiles with missile flares and then chase him to death between large city buildings with a jet? Be creative.

And still, the map has very small delay, compared to the average delay in maps using arrow keys.

VERY much thanks to all creators of models I used, this map without imports wouldn't be what it is now. I hope the way I gave credit to modelers on the loading screen is enough.

Have fun with it, and give feedback to me!

This map is unprotected, for everyone who want to take a look at the engine. If you want to create a mod, notify me.

Keywords:
Combat Zone, Battlefield, Modern, Flight Simulator, Tanks, Planes
Contents

Combat Zone 3.6 (Map)

Reviews
18:57, 10th Jan 2009 Rui: As I always say, modern warfare is not my type, but this one is a must-try. The desync bug is a downside, but it is still worth a shot. See my full review here. With a rating of 7/10 (3,5), this map is Approved!
Level 1
Combat Zone 3.6
by Bob666

Concept: 5/5
Excellant idea. rather orginal, and its obvious it took alot of work and ALOT of scripting. SUCCESSFUL streaming wc3 into fps gameplay is something i have not seen done.

Gameplay: 3/5
While flying around in jets, gravity gunning crowds of people, and messing with the gravity setting is loads of fun,
I find that most people will agree that while its a fun game to mess around in, there is something to be desired for in terms of the actual gameplay. The area seems to large, and there are never really any good fights. its ussually comes down to one side getting one of the best vehicules and camping the other sides base. There arent any clear cut objectives except to run around and shoot eachother. I think the gameplay could benefit if both sides had some sort of base that they could add to with addon nodes, and if there was some kind of vehicule upgrading/construction element. Perhaps if players had to to do something to unlock the more powerful vehicules. A close quarters version of a map like this would also be alot of fun.

Level Design: 3/5
The areas not gorgegous, but its fun to mess around in. I have to say though, i was a little confused when my hammerhead tank which can withstand heavy enemy missle fire, exploded when in ran into a street lamp.

Sound/Custom Models: 4/5
There were alot of custom models, they did not seem out of place and they were a vital addition to the game that improved its fun factor.

Replayability: 3/5
While good for a few go throughs, and messing around with gravity can be fun for a game or two, i wouldnt say it has a high replay factor. Once you've tried out all of the vehicules, the aforementioned gameplay flaws tend to cause furthur games to be rather dull.

Balance & Bugs: 3/5
For some reason after awhile of playing in every game, a server split occurs. i dont know why this is but it could definatly use some looking in to. Balance could use some work. Many vehicules were not used at all, because they simply cannot go up against a couple of the more powerful ones. I found that the hammerhead could just blast away at enemies for hours, and decimate aircraft with its gravity gun, without ever reaching half health.
Additionally their needs to be a time to change settings at start of game and thats it. or at least a vote required. Its very easy for the host to abuse his powers by turning gravity to 5 while enemy aircraft come in for a bombing run, and then resetting it after his enemies are pummeled into the ground.
Additionally lag tends to be an annoying problem, but i understand this cannot always be helped.

Final Score: 3.5/5
While definatly worth downloading and playing a few games, its unlikely to become one of your favorite games. I admire the amount of work that went into this, and honestly, its a pretty amazing piece of work. But there are a few flaws in its actual implementation that prevent it from getting a higher score. If you could improve some of the gameplay elements and do what you can to keep lag to a minimum, you just may have a real masterpiece on your hands

Level 4
My suggestsions are to change that with the trees if you crash into a tree you get OWNED with airplanes atleast. I would change that you get dameged but the trees should break some ships on the water and other stuff would be cool too but its just me...
other than that I LOVE THIS MAP!!! :infl_thumbs_up::infl_thumbs_up::infl_thumbs_up:

PS:as i was playing with Bots can you please change the missle thing? I never notice it when its by the Foodbar and got killed :necry:

Last edited:
Level 3
Really great map, been playing this a lot since i found it 2 days ago.
Just one thing: Some Players turn the flags to the enemy color instead of their own, making a total mess at the tickets. I think this is because you changed the order of the colors in the teams. I put it in the standard order and it seems to work now. I dont know anything about mapping or scripting, it was just switching some colors and there starting positions to other teams.
If you know what i mean (my english isnt that good, soory) just change it :D
If not i can send you the changed file so you see what i did^^
Edit: It seems somewhere in youre scripting, you just have another Team order then the one you set in team/ally-options. Capturing flags works fine now, but if the guys that put flags to the wrong color before get killed, the wrong team loses a ticket now. As i dont know anything about scripting, i would be very happy if you can fix this so the ticket stuff gets working ^^

Last edited:
Level 2
I love this map, although it is a bit laggy. Maybe you should consider adding more planes, maybe the SR71 or MiG 35, I'd love to see those in-game. 5/5

Level 19
For the arrow keys you could change it to abilitys with WASD and when you use the ability it does the same thing as the arrow keys just it should detect it faster.

The only problem is the fact that A and S are already asigned. A is a hotkey for Attack while S is an hotkey for Stop. This pretty much means those hotkeys aren't really an option and I doubt we would actually end up implementing a keyboard movement system.

Level 3
The only problem is the fact that A and S are already asigned. A is a hotkey for Attack while S is an hotkey for Stop. This pretty much means those hotkeys aren't really an option and I doubt we would actually end up implementing a keyboard movement system.

in Addition, W is already used for the repairing skill.

Level 1
This game is nice, if can put to select some modes such as, Tank vs Tank, Soldiers vs Soldiers can pick some gun to use that's great

Level 5
2 mayor bug:

1., jumpers cause desync or dc.

2., exiting a vechile while the vechile dies cause no respawn death.

2 small bug:

1., u can teleport out of the map with the teleport capable vechile. (dont know its name)

2., u can spam nukes with nuke capable tank by exiting and entering the vechile.

Level 4
wow extreme does it really go to make a map like this?
at it inst that hard to make velhicles the hard is spells its no prob making planes jumpers tanks and some thing but its the spells i cant make spells i make upgrads of this mp o me and my friend i cn say that it isnt easy to make nw combos of attacks and model files when its no models left to useso now myfocus s on abilitiees. bob666/N-A-z-G-u-L could u help me understand??

ps: its not hard to m,ake the velhicles after the system is made. and the variables alredy there xD

Level 3
omfg im going to commit suicide if you dont make it work with the new patch in the next couple days im not kidding around, you dont wanna live with a strangers blood on your hands do you?!?!?!

i wasnt kidding...its been half a week...omfg..this map is half the reason i live

map maker is dead -_-

Last edited:
Level 2
WICKED! Without a doubt the most revolutionary map, that ever hit warcraft, some different versions should be made and some modes like deathmatch and maybe some terrain. No offence but if this map didnt get directors cut i dont know why any others should just an opinion ofc ^^

Level 2
i wonder is there a map in wc3 that has mouse aim in first person view? like in sharpshooter online just that you aim with mouse instead of keys

Qab

Qab

Level 5
With this map, I'm experiencing a problem i get when I mess up with custom script, where, when you try to play it, the teams and players are the same as the last map you had selected, and when you click Play, the screen flickers and where teh players usually are is a blank see-through square. I'm using version 3.6 Please fix so I can play and rate!

Level 3
With this map, I'm experiencing a problem i get when I mess up with custom script, where, when you try to play it, the teams and players are the same as the last map you had selected, and when you click Play, the screen flickers and where teh players usually are is a blank see-through square. I'm using version 3.6 Please fix so I can play and rate!
sorry, but it doesnt matter anyways, the map was killed by the patch and im really pissed because it was one of the best wc3 maps -_-.

Level 1
Hi can anyone help me?

When I select combat zone as a map in the menu the panel on the left where you choose teams freezes from the previous map and when I try starting the map nothing happens and it just goes back to the map select menu?