1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Classes & Players

Discussion in 'Recycle Bin' started by Wolfe, Nov 20, 2010.

?

Which option would you choose? See the first post for information on each option.

1. Option I

9 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Option II

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  3. Option III

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. I have my own option which I will post now.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Wolfe

Wolfe

Resources:
    Resources:
    Greetings,

This poll is for the Shadows of Everwood ORPG, and even if you are not a follower or just a fan of any ORPG, we'd appreciate your feedback. Right now, we're contemplating a phase of our development known as 'Post Demo', which is essentially after the demo. We want to restructure the classes, but we want to know how you would prefer to play as a character in SoEORPG.

Option I
    "Skills determine the class."

This pretty much eliminates any core class structure and focuses purely on customization. Two core features of this option are:

• an alignment system
    • a titles system

You acquire a title without losing any of you have previously acquired, some will be of a higher ranking, some of low ranking. Despite having many titles he/she could only use one at a time. This would be the way the character would appear to others. To supplement this system of titles should coexist an alignment system, that is what determines the goodness or badness of your character to others. Thus the titles also influence the alignment while they were being used (e.g., if I introduce myself as a murderer, my image is associated with a bad guy, unlike the image of a priest who would be a good guy). However, even a priest can be an antagonist. Skills influence alignments and vice versa, for example a damaging skill may deal more damage if you were bad or heal an if you were good. Each time skills are activated like this, you continue to advance in that alignment. Titles are influenced by the skills you have, but does not influence the skills. Titles can influence your alignment. Doing certain things or learning different skills will acquire you new titles.

Option II
    "Classes are the foundations of your character, yet you are open to many options."

This option takes classes and brings them to the core of your character, the foundation or spine, while you as a player expand on it however way you like.

Example
    You choose a necromantic class as your core. Due to this, you gain an additional bonus to all damage you deal with a weapon if that weapon is a polearm, as well as a few innate active abilities such as:

Contagion
    All Curses on a target become contagious, and if that target goes near another foe, inflicts that target with the same Curses but with a reset duration.

This option see's the creation of two skill trees - Weapons and Magic. Weapons contains all kinds of physical abilities, some specific to a weapon, others not. Magic contains a plethora of spells and incantations for you to use and master.

Option III
    "Unique as an individual class, with the exception of a dual-class system."

This option focuses purely on individual classes with their own traits, abilities, armor, etc. Each class can wield four primary weapons (Bow, Sword, Mace, Axe, Staff, Polearm, Dagger and Wand) and one secondary weapon (Shield, Focus, Knife, Sword, Axe and Mace). Due to this, each class has a set of weapon abilities from each weapon type they can wield that extends into a dual class system. Taking on a second class allows players to expand into another classes weapon abilities and use them in addition to their own weapon abilities and their own profession abilities (skills unique to that class).

Example
    My character is now a Rank 10 Warrior. I determine that I wish to become a tank, and note that the Assassin class has some very handy skills that can a) gain threat extremely quickly and b) further expand my options with a sword. So I dual with that class and am able to select from a range of Assassin abilities. I think ahead and build my character the way I wish using a combination of Assassin weapon abilities, my own weapon abilities and my profession abilities.

If you all could vote on this poll, we'd really appreciate it. Or if you have any queries or suggestions, please do not hesitate to post!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  2. Trillium

Trillium

Resources:
    Resources:
    Option II.
    Class feels like a solid thing then, and it allows to think of special features or mechanics for it. Mixing classes doesn't really feel right, IMO (for instance, being an Assassin requires lots of training, a vastly different skill of fighting and much more dexterity (which is impossible in tank armor), so mixing him with Warrior is kinda meh...)

Separate skills, on the other hand, are harder to balance and it is impossible to create synergy between them, whithout locking them in groups, which once again leads us to the concept of defined classes =)

3. Boris_Spider

Boris_Spider

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm inclined to go with Option I. It seems that most rpgs limit players to their predefined classes. This would allow the gameplay to be harder to define and encourage players to make decisions (Certain abilities aren't available to "good guys" and likewise for the "bad-guys"). This ability to determine what you are without the more-obvious stereotypes is something I haven't come across yet.

Allow players to build their characters rather than hand them a list and tell them to choose a predefined one.

//\\oo//\\

4. Trillium

Trillium

Resources:
    Resources:
    In Diablo II you could build a character of your liking, despite being given a list. in Daiblo III that'll be even more versatile... still with list given. But a class allows to use special mchanics or resources, making a class unique and different from other classes. Also, it allows for more interesting class concept. For example, in Morrowind I'm essentially an adventurer with a bunch of skills. Despite being an incarantion of ancient hero, blah-blah-blah, I am, in essence, nothing. Just a random guy with amnesia and a bunch of skills.

In WoW I'm, say, a Warrior. An absolutely random generic warrior. With standard skills for all warriors. That's lousy concept, yes.

In Warhammer, I am a Witch Hunter, for instance. A zealous warrior, trained to hunt down heretics and servitors of chaos, raised in the service of the great Temple of Sigmar. I wield a defined set of weaponry (a rapier and a pistol. yummy) and a number of hol relics, (which are represented through abilities). My abilities refer directly to my heritage, training and weaponry, creating a defined and complete character concept - with story, appearance and fighting style.

So what's better? An inquisitor, with his own heritage, abilities and flavour, a random generic warrior or a even more random guy with a set of random skills? Huh?

5. HeroSlayer

HeroSlayer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Option II will allow players to build their characters from a vast list of skills, including those that dont belong to the class, however, we wont allow necromancers to cast "holy spirit" or somethings like that which makes the rpg look too unreal or too unbalanced

We are not giving just a list, we are giving a lot of lists from a lot of classes, but with limitations

6. Kino

Kino

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ive experimented with option 1) before ironicaly in the context of a map thats not a RPG of any type. And personally it starts of kinda nice but after a while it becomes hellish on the part of a designer.

Partly because of the randomness of the themes/lore/aesthetics you realise that its kinda hard to build any sort of character witha backstory. Since the abilties will have to either be absolutely out of context of the class or be so general there is no thematic to it.

All this is of course putting it in a VERY broad sense and it may not be what youre refering to. But at least I try :p

7. 4eNNightmare

4eNNightmare

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Option I
    Example: Knight + Necromancer = Death Knight
    Assuming the application to have the title of Death knight is just having the title of Knight, we suppose that 5 is required skills and some missions and the other 5 necromancer skills, and other missions. Of course the title of Death Knight will be a higher rank than a knight and necromancer, and will be of evil alignment. This character to acquire the title of Death knight do not lose their other two previous titles and use them at any time to assist in image alignment that he wants to spend (eg it can use the Knight Title to pass a less bad) , but it will have left on your alignment evil marks of the necromancer's skills, he as a knight he will not be as well regarded as another Knight who did not know the dark art of necromancy.

8. Boris_Spider

Boris_Spider

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I went with Option I because the other two started with a core class. From what I read and understood, Option I was the only option where no core classes existed.

I'm all for "random guys with random sets of skills" and don't see any problem with it. It could be that with ORPGs players prefer extravagant backgrounds and storylines. I don't play any RPGs at all, so I wouldn't know. I'd rather start out as a nobody with nothing and make up your character as you go, instead of starting as a set character in a predefined role with access to standard abilities.

@Kino the whole I idea behind option 1 is that you dont have to build a backstory or a predefined class. It would be more along the lines of hero arenas I suppose.

//\\oo//\\

9. Kino

Kino

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    In Rpg genre's map makers generally try to go further with the theme/aesthetics bit which is usually untouched in say Arena. There is no real problem gameplay wise with option 1. Im just stating from a RPG perspective it can be quite tedious and irritating to make.

10. Davesanz

Davesanz

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think allignment and title system are a good idea, but option II is the best for me.

11. Wolfe

Wolfe

Resources:
    Resources:
    I probably should've stated this earlier, but no class really has a predefined role. In each option, you have the ability to choose your role for whatever situation or your preference when it comes to playstyle. Option I and Option II are more flexible when it comes to this, as you are able to expand into a lot of things. Option III, as I said, despite having a pre-set list of abilities (around twenty-six all up, excluding dual classing), can see you become a ranged Warrior or a DPS healer, etc.

With Option II, the idea of a core class has its pros and cons. For example, having Contagion would be well-used in large mob situations, plus a lot of abilities have additional, or even greater, consequences on your foes if they are Cursed or have certain Conditions. Core classes are just essentially the spine of your character.

Thanks for your votes guys! We'll keep this open.

12. Dragonson

Dragonson

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hmm... I'm having a hard time deciding here.
    Option III is not to my liking (reminds me a slight bit too much of GuildWars, too), but i'm in love with both Option I and II.
    I think i'l go with Option II, even though i think that a Titles system should by applied to the entire game at all times.
    They're just such a great motivator. :p

13. fishyyy

fishyyy

Resources:
    Resources:
    These ideas are definitely interesting and awesome!
    Well, both options are good. I'm indecisive..

What's the contradiction between Option I and II?
    Why can't all the options to be combined together?
    (I mean, not ALL the features within an option is combined together)

Sorry to ask such questions...

14. Wolfe

Wolfe

Resources:
    Resources:
    Combining all options would certainly be great, but that would immensely increase the workload required.

I've asked a mod to delete this poll so that I can create a new one, as I did forget to add two other options. My apologies. v.v