• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Claimed Fields 1.2

RTS Melee Map for League play.
Contents

Claimed Fields 1.2 (Map)

Reviews
VGsatomi: Approved. Detailed melee map with a standard layout. The closed off goldmines sometimes hangs up AI players. 18:25, 5th July 2009, by Rui(#2): A quality melee map! Good layout and terrain, creep camps, drops, and neutral building choice...

M

VGsatomi: Approved. Detailed melee map with a standard layout. The closed off goldmines sometimes hangs up AI players.

18:25, 5th July 2009, by Rui[self=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/claimed-fields-1-2-a-81528/#post1202544](#2)[/self]:
A quality melee map! Good layout and terrain, creep camps, drops, and neutral building choice and placement! With a few errors fixed, I don't see why this wouldn't get to the ladder. Reviewed status and 4/5 (Recommended) rating.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Rui's review on Mafutrct's melee map "Claimed Fields" (1.2)

I was surprised with this map! I wasn't expecting to find such a good quality map.

Well made layout, with fair starting locations (even though I think you should use the grid, because the positions don't seem to be at the same distance level) and two expansions.
Visible use of elevation and ground texture variation. Even though I don't appreciate the author's methods of texturing, the terrain doesn't look bad and that's the only thing that matters.

Neutral buildings were well chosen and placed. Taverns scare me a little since they seem to be too close to the trees, which might cause a hero -- the Pitlord, for example -- to be blocked, and that's a death sentence. I could say the same for the Mercenary Camps, but those of the Lordaeron Summer tileset don't have a high collision and can pass through easily, if I'm not wrong.
Anyway, neutral buildings are equally accessible to everyone. That's a plus.

I was extremely happy when I found out the drops don't suck! Creep camps were well made, too.
The only drop I didn't like (which was invisible because of full house) was that of players' starting locations. A lvl6 permanent is too high for such a frail creep camp.
I must admit the drops of the Fountain of Health, as well as that of the Mercenary Camp, don't leave me too convinced, but they're OK.
Anyway, this is way better than 95% of the maps I see around. Excellent job!
By the way, I noticed Gold Mine guards have standard acquisition range. Someone's been reading Blizzard articles! :wink:

Perhaps I should mention that blue and teal seem to have a little less trees than the rest of the players. Additionally, do not block the paths to the expansions with destructibles. The AI does not understand it has to destroy them in order to claim the expansion.

Overall, a very good candidate to a 5, but it'll remain 4/5 (Recommended) until the rock chunks are deleted and the tree inequality fixed.
Categorized as Medieval/Warcraft.