• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Chronicles of the Second War: Tides of Darkness

This bundle is marked as director's cut. It exceeds all expectations and excels in every regard.
maptitle-png.385652

Chronicles of the Second War:
Tides of Darkness
Relive the events of Warcraft II orc campaign, reimagined in Reforged engine.
Experience rich lore from the events of the Second War, based on classic games and novels.
Enjoy the gameplay that merges best features of WC2 and WC3, through RTS and RPG missions.
Explore mysterious places and conquer mighty cities with beautifully crafted terrain and decorations.

fade-seperator-png.362941

*** Installation Guide for Windows OS***
ActionVisual Clue
This campaign is available for those who have purchased a copy of "Warcraft III: Reforged": https://warcraft3.blizzard.com/ latest version 1.36.1
If you have the Demo version of CSW (circa 2020) installed - delete it and clean up the retail folder from its assets
Make sure your game settings are set HD reforged graphics
Download the campaign file
Put campaign file into C:/User/Documents/Warcraft3/Campaigns/
f8c391e5-7ff3-4be1-ade5-568d894dee0e-png.457961
Download installer Asset Installer
Put installer into Warcraft 3 folder where Game Launcher.exe is placed
1c02d8c8-ab64-49a6-98d6-f9ed69e65ee2-png.457962
Download asset pack Asset Pack
Run CSW Installer.exe as Administrator
f67e04c2-61a0-45a6-865e-d2b198161ef4-png.457966
Click button “Load Resource” - pick the Asset Pack
17def230-db66-4f7c-a2bf-117548de70ef-png.457963
Wait till the archive is unpacked
Reboot your PC
Launch "Wacraft III: Reforged" game
Go to “Single Player” → “Custom Campaign”
d37efbc2-827a-4f7b-8b33-e2fae4daac4c-png.457965
Play the game.
Remember that Campaign works only in HD (Reforged graphics) game settings.
The Campaign is not compatible with Quenching mod.

If textures were not applied after installation of asset pack - reinstall assets one more time.
b2474263-8d30-4e41-bf5a-ff4cc2b07f28-png.457964

*** Installation Guide for MAC OS***
ActionVisual Clue
This campaign is available for those who have purchased a copy of "Warcraft III: Reforged": https://warcraft3.blizzard.com/ latest version 1.36.1
Put campaign file into folder for campaign in MAC OS
Right click on the TOD_Campaign_Assets.csw file and open with Archive Utility.
Unzip the Asset Pack as you would a zip file into the retail folder within the Reforged installation directory.
Open the terminal and enter the following exactly:
defaults write "com.blizzard.Warcraft III" "Allow Local Files" -int 1
If texture issues persist after the above steps, try restarting the machine.
Play the game.

If textures were not applied after installation of asset pack - reinstall assets one more time.

*** Installation Guide for Linux OS***
ActionVisual Clue
Put campaign file into folder for campaign in Linux OS
Follow the following guide but for Warcraft 3 Reforged: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxet_LLQIwE&t=424s
This runs Reforged under Steam's emulation layer
Unzip the Asset Pack as you would a zip file into the retail folder within the Reforged installation directory
The tricky part is finding your "home" directory where you put your custom campaigns. In one user's case (agibsonccc) the filepath was the following:
/home/agibsonccc/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/2542504305/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Documents/Warcraft III/Campaigns
The way proton works is you have steam and then an "appid" followed by a "prefix". The appid is basically a mapping to a "game" you specify in the left side in steam. That's wine's root directory. drive_c is C: then from there the paths should be the same.
If texture issues persist after the above steps, try restarting the machine.
Play the game.

Features
17 Missions packed with captivating gameplay

5 hours of Cinematics capturing and expanding on important lore moments

Lore conveyed through immersing gameplay, bringing you back into WC2 era

Voice Acting for over 1500 lines, from unit quotes to cinematics

Soundtrack recreating original Warcraft II music, made by talented artists

Heroes & Characters introduced through gameplay and cameos

Oil Resource system from classic Warcraft II, for immersive naval experience

Boss Battles with engaging and challenging mechanics inspired by World of Warcraft

Recommended PC Requirements
HardwareValue
Operating SystemWindows 10 64-bit (latest version)
ProcessorIntel Core i7
VideoGTX 1080
Memory32GB
Storage3GB (for campaign files)

Known Issues
Place - ScopeBugPriority for fix in next patchesComment
1GlobalSometimes Oil UI Warning messages can be played during cinematicsMediumNeed to investigate jass oil script and fix it.
2Chapter Nine: Razing of Tyrs HandEnemy AI doesnt send troops via transports to attack player.Medium
3Chapter Eleven: Quel’ThalasTroll camp AI might work weird. It has to be rewritten to JASS instead of GUI.Medium
4Chapter Ten: StratholmeMounted Gul’dan model has issues with facial animations. Probably need to rework model form scratch.Medium
5Chapter Ten: StratholmeEnemy Naval AI is not attacking playerMediumRequire a lot of effort on investigating AI script and testing.
6GlobalUpon Loading Saved game, the custom wc2 music list is played over like second layer.Medium
7GlobalBuilding and Unit models willbe updated in next pathces (pkb effects)MediumPKB effect were removed cuz it caused a lot of crashes before 1.36.1
8GlobalSome unit animations and models will be fixed and improvedMedium
9Chapter 13: Tomb of SargarasSometimes Rend Visual Aura Effect (BlackRoll and Roll) is not displayed .Medium
10GlobalGul’dan spell “Inferno” - summoned infernal need to be better balanced.Low
11GlobalCho'gall and Ogre-Magi Spell animation sometimes overlap and duplicate.Low
12GlobalFacial Animations are not stable in the maps that have a lot of dialogues.LowThe problem is that faceanim sometimes doesnt work for unknown reasons, and dev need to manually try another faceanim. Change and testing takes a lot of time.
13GlobalItems that need custom models:
  • Mana potion
  • earth elemental summoning token
Low
14GlobalMelee unit can attack enemy unit that is standing on the wall, no matter how big difference in Z axis is.LowMelee Attack in game enginge doesnt take into account Z axis. In order to fix this, the additional pathing blockers has to be palced. Tedious and time consuming work that could delay release for many weeks.
15GlobalSometimes Air units can go through models of high towers.LowThis reuqires tedious rework of pathing blockers in some missions.
16Lost Chapter: DragonqueenThe goblin motor boat damage flames are disappearing when Zuluhed dismounts from it.LowestHard to identify the reason why it happens.
17GlobalCho'gall In-game text transmissions missing line breaks.Lowest
18GlobalFPS drops in some cutscenes that have panorama viewIMPOSSIBLE TO FIXThe team didnt have the knowledge about some limitations, but we wanted to make some beautiful shots.
19GlobalOn the loading screen map can crash because of incorrect texture decompression.
Walkaround - restart the mission.
IMPOSSIBLE TO FIXBlizzard Bug
20GlobalWhen the Peon which carry resourse is switched to another Building Construction set, the resource he carry is lost.IMPOSSIBLE TO FIXThe game engine limitations doesnt allow to fix this bug.
21GlobalUnits that don’t have Facial Animations:
  • Goblin Zeppelin
  • Gangrel
  • Fanatic
  • Twilight Peon
  • Cho'gall
IMPOSSIBLE TO FIXThose units are using soundkits of the beasts and mechanisms, whose sounds were replced in import manager. And they don’t have the needed facefx.

Credits

Click here for full credits list.

"Huge thank you to everyone who supported us, helped us, believed in us.
We hope this campaign was fun to play. Stay tuned for upcoming sequel
Chronicles of the Second War - Rise of the Alliance."
- LoreCraft Designs team

Translation / Dubbing

Changelog

Patch v1.03 29/Jan/2024)

Hotfix v1.02 11/Jan/2024)

Hotfix v1.01 09/Jan/2024)

Previous Version Savegames will not be loadable.
Acts now are visible for the first playthrough for the blocked players if they dont want to start from the begining.

Campaign:

• Chogall cinematic walk fix by Fugrim
  • Deathwing Pre-Wow remodeling by Handclaw (model) and Symphoneum (animations) + fixes by VictorZ (animations)
  • Goblin Zeppelin Portait floppy mouth animation fix by Malmgrev
  • Death Knight Death Coil Ability Drain Effect changed to Red Life Drain
  • Death Knight Armor type changed to Small
  • Death Knight HP increased from 400 to 600
  • Human Mage Armor type changed to Small
  • Human Mage HP increased from 400 to 600
  • Dragon armor increased from 0 to 2
  • Gryphon Rider Armor increased from 0 to 2
  • Goblin rockets item damage doubled
Mission 06S:
  • Fixed Alextrasza landing bug in Lost Chapter I: Dragonqueen
  • Decreased the amount of souls to charge the Dragonsoul from 5 to 3
Mission 10:
  • Teron Gorefiend superunit armor type changed to Small and life increased to 1000
Mission 4:
  • Naval AI upgrade level nerfed to 1 on Hard and training pause increased
Mission 5:
  • Naval AI upgrade level nerfed to 1 on Hard and training pause increased
Mission 7:
  • Removed second ballista from Stromgarde Attack Wave on Hard and Normal

Acts now are visible for the first playthrough for the blocked players if they dont want to start from the begining.

Campaign:

• Zeppelin price increased from 500 to 1000 gold
  • Zeppelin build time increased from 20 to 61
  • Zeppelin food cost increased from 1 to 4
  • Pillage rate nerfed
Mission 09:
  • Hold the line defeat condition changed to be more reliable
  • Autokiling zeppelins that reach cinematic area of Tyrs Hand
Mission 11S:
  • Decreased bounty for killing units

Mission 01:

• Creeps nerfed
  • Fixed bug with signal fire completion after failing
Mission 02:
  • Creeps nerfed
  • Fixed sasquatch flying above the cave
Mission 03
  • Naval AI nerfed
  • Creeps nerfed
Mission 04:
  • Creeps nerfed
  • Fixed skin for Gilneas Battleship
  • Nerfed naval AI difficulty
  • Placed the fountain of health in the camp
Mission 5:
  • Extended beach for building naval buildings in north part
  • Creeps nerfed
  • Changed drop for jungle monster
  • Naval AI difficulty nerfed
  • Turned off Rain for better performance
Mission 6S:
  • Fix Alextrasza stuck when she goes back
  • Creeps nerfed
Mission 7:
  • Creeps nerfed
Mission 8:
  • Creeps nerfed
Misison 8S:
  • Creeps nerfed
Mission09:
  • Fixed instant defeat on the last quest Hold the Line
  • Creeps nerfed
  • Archmage is invulnerable now till he starts freezing the lake
Mission 10:
  • Reworked logic of Death Knight Cinematic launch (now no need to wait till all player units are killed near the cathdral)
  • Creeps nerfed
Mission 12:
  • Fixed Chogall running away in bossfight phase 2 and 3
  • Fixed Rend disappeared from cache (need to be tested starting form mission 9)
Previews
Contents

CSW campaign Tides of Darkness (Campaign)

Reviews
Archian
We are thrilled to share some news with all of you about Chronicles of the Second War: Tides of Darkness, we are happy to announce that it has been officially granted a prestigious Director's Cut rating! This recognition is a testament to the...
That update was amazing! Great work!! Does the interlude cinematic work? cause it didnt for me I dont know if its supossed to be that way or I did something wrong...
The Interlude file is the trick from Quenching guys to unlock the map buttons and trigger first mission to launch. It is just a map with campaign logo.

Level 8
I followed the instructions and managed to get it to work, sorta, but the sound is... uh, like static noise. I want to be more helpful but I don't know how else to describe it. Something is wrong with the noise basically.

Edit: nevermind, as soon as I tried to recreate the problem just now while recording my screen... it worked. Lol.

Last edited:
Update 23-Aug-2021: We have now released the polished missions 1 to 4 as a campaign, made possible with the Quenching Mod.
I don't know if this is my own problem yet, but I think the quenching mod or the w3n installer of the mod would import every campaign file to every single map, that makes the map too big to open.

Level 1
User warned for flaming
Hey you fucks,your csw installer completly wiped my wc3,all is gone my saves campaign progress the mods i had wich were file based and placed in the retail folder and quenching wont work anymore too will probably need to reinstall it,wtf

anyone had this happen?
or know how to fix ,does the install er make some sort of back up?
im pissed

Level 2
Hi, I've played through your demo twice now. Before saying anything else, I just wanted to say thank you. I've wanted this mod ever since Warcraft 3 first came out as I played so much WC2 as a kid. What you've accomplished is tremendous. I hope there's more one day but even if not I got to play 4 incredible missions. The amount of detail that's gone into everything about this. I never thought I'd see such a high quality 3D adaptation of these classic buildings. Easter eggs everywhere you clearly have a passion for the lore from the Warcraft universe. I'd trust you over modern Blizzard for this project any day, it is professional quality. Here are some miscellaneous notes/thoughts:

• [*]I did some digging and couldn't validate whether Rend Blackhand or the BTG Clan were part of this part of the campaign. I know they were utilized later to chase down the renegade Gul'Dan. Everything is so lore accurate I was just curious if some of the material I haven't read (chronicle/Rise of the Horde) had actually put him leading the efforts against Zul'Dare/Hillsbrad. Regardless even if using him there is artistic license I enjoyed playing with the character. I love that you brought in the Doomsaw from UBRS and really made it look like a Blackrock Weapon.
    [*]The BTG Clan Orcs look menacing and great with different armor. I never totally understood that clan but I like envisioning them as just tougher, more juiced up grunts. There's so much potential for differentiation of the clans, bringing in some WoD elements I look forward to seeing all the rest. For the default grunts that you build out of the Barracks that wield a hammer I will say I prefer the traditional image of the Axe-wielding Grunt over the hammer but that's just my personal preference. I believe I recognize that hammer model from Drak'thuls fallen second war Orcs so it certainly has some justification.
    [*]Utok is a pretty cool idea as an avatar of the player character. I like that his model is looking at blueprints you can definitely envision him as the sort of Garrison Commander/Architect and general administrative type. I assume he is made up? The equivalent role in WC1 would have been Doomhammer himself as I understand, did they ever make the WC2 "commander" into canon? Playing with him as a unit was kind of average... I didn't use him at all the first time but I tried to use him on the second play through as I've been working on some micro and at this point in the game there's not many abilities to manage. I found a use for him as a source of magic damage (the only at this point) against all the heavy armor types. I think it would be more fun if you could use him to heal other units with his ability. He spent most of the mission oom though. Giving him the telescope feels great and is perfect for the character.
    [*]I failed the signal fire event the first time and had to restart that mission, I think I was distracted when the trigger went off then when I was looking for it I got confused with the signal fire being basically at my base- would it make sense to have the signal fire at the top of the map as the payoff for fighting through the human camps?
    [*]Awesome that you fight human model archers earlier on, before the elves have offered their troops.
    [*]The trolls just looking and feeling great, especially Zul'jin, man gameplay is a huge step up when you get him and suddenly have more abilities to use. Having him and Rend running around it feels so good. The Darkspear were ok in WC3 I just miss the forest trolls. Just classic, awesome horde (contrast to modern WoW). Can't wait for the Ogres and goblins to join up.
    [*]The banter about Murlocs. Yep. Loled
I never thought I would savor a "build 4 farms" mission so much but I took my time with these stretched them out to enjoy every minute of it. You guys are awesome keep it up and thank you.

Can I play with Mac OS ? or only exe version exists?
Henlo, Quenching itself is designed for Windows, same with the campaign installer .exe they provided to us.
However they have a guide on how to install Quenching to MacOS (Parallels being one of them, if you're familiar with it). As this is a demo still, we will ask later if a new guide can be made.

Level 1
Henlo, Quenching itself is designed for Windows, same with the campaign installer .exe they provided to us.
However they have a guide on how to install Quenching to MacOS (Parallels being one of them, if you're familiar with it). As this is a demo still, we will ask later if a new guide can be made.
thx for the answer !

Level 6
Hey guys, long time no see.

I refunded Reforged a while ago because of no custom campaigns (the main reason I bought it). I am thinking of rebuying it because this looks amazing as hell.

Level 1
Hi , also cannot get it to work. I played the first version of the demo and it worked ok. Now I tried to install this updated version, and get the same as some others have said here: when put in a custom game, and found the right map file, it just says 'error'. When trying to run the installer after loading the correct map/file (also tried loading from desktop and is the same)... it loads a for a short while... gets to something like orc4... then it just stops and nothing happens. Any ideas about getting it to work? really would like to play this updated version. thx

Last edited:
Level 3
Even with Quenching Mod install I keep getting the error message when I open the game

Level 28
Even with Quenching Mod install I keep getting the error message when I open the game
Did you read the following notice below:
CSW Installation Guide.jpg

Currently, the mod has been updated (1.7), so it is best to download the latest one.
After that, disable all features and play this campaign without Quenching Mod.

Level 3
Did you read the following notice below:
View attachment 393125
Currently, the mod has been updated (1.7), so it is best to download the latest one.
After that, disable all features and play this campaign without Quenching Mod.
I have indeed done all thoses things and nothing works its the same with mathias chronicles and war of thornes.. funny enough exodus of the Horde revamp and the other champaigns from that series works without problems. I dunno if it has something do with that the champaing maps I cant play is a W3N file and the revamps are W3X files?

Last edited:

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

doesnt work.
Please provide real feedback and show what the actual "error" you encounter is about. I will remove your unfair rating. There are people out there who really put their soul into their projects. Try to behave nicely!

Level 28
I have some question about installation. I must install these with only CSW installer as you noticed?
or can I do with Quenching Mod's Campaign Installer?
If your Reforged has Quenching Mod installed, then once you've installed this campaign, go to Quenching Mod and turn off the custom models/textures.
You don't need this mod since this campaign has been made with Reforged models/textures from Blizzard (not from third-party).

Level 2
Hello everyone, first post for me !
I am so so glad you made this mod. Unfortunatly, the french translation link seems not to work for me.
Although, if you need any help for the french translation, feel free to send me the english text that have to be translated !

Hey so sorry need help how to operate the instaler to play this campaign

HOW TO INSTALL?
Notes:
✦ Using this the Campaign Installer could reset your vanilla campaign progress.
✦ Do not EVER have your WIP not backed-up files (models, maps etc.) directly in WC3 Installation folder regardless of using this mod.
✦ If you're using Quenching Mod: get the latest version, disable custom models, textures and terrain (QM is not required to play the campaign).

1. Download our Campaign File (for English only). For dubbed versions click on the fitting flag at the bottom of the page INSTEAD (all following steps remain the same regardless of language).
(suggested in WC3 documents folder: C:\OneDrive\Documents\Warcraft III\Maps for example. Do NOT place in WC3 installation folder!)

2. Download our Campaign Installer (for any language), unzip and place it inside the Warcraft III installation folder on your PC.
(default location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III)

3. Open the "CSW Installer.exe" and click "Load CSW", it will ask you to select the campaign file.

4. Once the installation is finished, click "Start Game".

5. In the now opened Warcraft III program, navigate to campaigns, our missions will be the last on the list. Enjoy!

Which point specifically?

Level 1
Heya, so I am a bit confused. Created this account just to ask this question, pardon if its been asked already, but been sifting for awhile now.

The how to install says that quenching mod is not required to play this mod.

However, in an update, someone mentions that the demo missions 1-4 were made available as a campaign "made possible by quenching mod"

So which is it? Do I need quenching mod or not to play these missions as a campaign? (Specifically as a campaign mind, not loading each individually)

Thanks! Incredibly excited to play the final version whenever that's done =)

Level 2
I am having troubles installing this campaign. I have placed the CSW_Orc_ToD_ACT1.w3n file into the maps folder of my Warcraft III Documents folder, and placed the CSW Installer.exe into my Warcraft III installation. I am not using Quenching mod. However, when I run the CSW Installer and select the w3n campaign file, a progress bar appears on the Installer program that says "Files Quenching/units/half", and the program closes itself after several seconds. Re-opening the program and selecting "Start Game" verifies that it did not install properly, and using "Delete CSW" and retrying does not help.
I have attempted to redownload the CSW Installer several times to see if it would resolve the issue, and this has occurred on each attempt. I have not yet attempted to download the Quenching mod. Is this a known issue? Is there any workaround for it, or is Quenching mod mandatory for this build of Chronicles of the Second War?

Level 10
This is very cool! So far i have played mission 1. Will play the others when I get a chance. I love the music.

My only critiques:
  • I wish you could speed-build like in wc2. Though I understand that you'd need to make Peons and orc buildings use the 'Human' race in the editor for this, and that's kinda lame from a developer perspective.
  • I wish Peons moved faster.
Mostly I had these thoughts because I ran out of gold in my mine before completing the first quest, so I had to have all my peons walk to the other mine. My fault for not paying attention to my spending, but I just figured it wouldn't be a problem on the first level. :p

Level 10
Finished playing it. More thoughts.
  • The voice actors do a great job. Really helps sell this as a professional-quality project. I also like that you went the extra mile to give everyone "Pissed" sounds.
  • I like that the buildings have snow on them.
  • I still feel I'd like some things be faster, to be more in line with wc2's speed. specifically how fast workers and oil tankers move and chop wood. It's very slow compared to wc2 on 'Faster' speed, which was iirc the 'standard' speed of the game that most people played since the Battle.net Edition released. Making these elements faster would help the player get to the fun stuff sooner.
  • I didn't like that in Chapter 4, you had to blow up every last villager, horse, and villager building on the map. Long after I'd won, I was just waiting around for the level to end. In the case of the city buildings, it's very clunky for your units to path around them. I think they should also be controlled by a neutral player, so your units don't auto-target them over the structures of the actual base.
  • I feel the "advanced build" implementation is a bit awkward. I understand it's one of the hard-coded limitations of war3, but if you could make the advanced build menu come up automatically, instead of switching the unit to "advanced" mode and then having to click build, that would be a nice QOL change.
Overall though I think this is a sweet project, and I look forward to the rest of it.

Also... this poor peasant. 😂
PeasantWaterfall.jpg

Last edited:
Level 1
Wow that was a blast! I always enjoyed WC2 the most out of the franchise, wish it had gotten Reforged instead of 3 but honestly y'all are probably doing a better job of it lol Hope this project is still going, will donate next payday.

Level 2
Hello !

i'm trying play this cmpaign but when i tried to lauch the campaign, i have this errors (see the attach files).

Someone got this errors ??

Thanks for your help !

Jahman

Attachments

• Errors warcraft 3 reforged chronicles.JPG
    Errors warcraft 3 reforged chronicles.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 34

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Thanks for your help !
Have you thoroughly gone through the installation details?
OW TO INSTALL?
Notes:
✦ Using this the Campaign Installer could reset your vanilla campaign progress.
✦ Do not EVER have your WIP not backed-up files (models, maps etc.) directly in WC3 Installation folder regardless of using this mod.
✦ If you're using Quenching Mod: get the latest version, disable custom models, textures and terrain (QM is not required to play the campaign).

1. Download our Campaign File (for English only). For dubbed versions click on the fitting flag at the bottom of the page INSTEAD (all following steps remain the same regardless of language).
(suggested in WC3 documents folder: C:\OneDrive\Documents\Warcraft III\Maps for example. Do NOT place in WC3 installation folder!)

2. Download our Campaign Installer (for any language), unzip and place it inside the Warcraft III installation folder on your PC.
(default location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III)

3. Open the "CSW Installer.exe" and click "Load CSW", it will ask you to select the campaign file.

4. Once the installation is finished, click "Start Game".

5. In the now opened Warcraft III program, navigate to campaigns, our missions will be the last on the list. Enjoy!
Also, make sure to have the Reforged (HD/new) graphics enabled in the video options.