• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Chronicles of the Second War: Tides of Darkness

This bundle is marked as director's cut. It exceeds all expectations and excels in every regard.
maptitle-png.385652

Chronicles of the Second War:
Tides of Darkness
Relive the events of Warcraft II orc campaign, reimagined in Reforged engine.
Experience rich lore from the events of the Second War, based on classic games and novels.
Enjoy the gameplay that merges best features of WC2 and WC3, through RTS and RPG missions.
Explore mysterious places and conquer mighty cities with beautifully crafted terrain and decorations.

fade-seperator-png.362941

*** Installation Guide for Windows OS***
ActionVisual Clue
This campaign is available for those who have purchased a copy of "Warcraft III: Reforged": https://warcraft3.blizzard.com/ latest version 1.36.1
If you have the Demo version of CSW (circa 2020) installed - delete it and clean up the retail folder from its assets
Make sure your game settings are set HD reforged graphics
Download the campaign file
Put campaign file into C:/User/Documents/Warcraft3/Campaigns/
f8c391e5-7ff3-4be1-ade5-568d894dee0e-png.457961
Download installer Asset Installer
Put installer into Warcraft 3 folder where Game Launcher.exe is placed
1c02d8c8-ab64-49a6-98d6-f9ed69e65ee2-png.457962
Download asset pack Asset Pack
Run CSW Installer.exe as Administrator
f67e04c2-61a0-45a6-865e-d2b198161ef4-png.457966
Click button “Load Resource” - pick the Asset Pack
17def230-db66-4f7c-a2bf-117548de70ef-png.457963
Wait till the archive is unpacked
Reboot your PC
Launch "Wacraft III: Reforged" game
Go to “Single Player” → “Custom Campaign”
d37efbc2-827a-4f7b-8b33-e2fae4daac4c-png.457965
Play the game.
Remember that Campaign works only in HD (Reforged graphics) game settings.
The Campaign is not compatible with Quenching mod.

If textures were not applied after installation of asset pack - reinstall assets one more time.
b2474263-8d30-4e41-bf5a-ff4cc2b07f28-png.457964

*** Installation Guide for MAC OS***
ActionVisual Clue
This campaign is available for those who have purchased a copy of "Warcraft III: Reforged": https://warcraft3.blizzard.com/ latest version 1.36.1
Put campaign file into folder for campaign in MAC OS
Right click on the TOD_Campaign_Assets.csw file and open with Archive Utility.
Unzip the Asset Pack as you would a zip file into the retail folder within the Reforged installation directory.
Open the terminal and enter the following exactly:
defaults write "com.blizzard.Warcraft III" "Allow Local Files" -int 1
If texture issues persist after the above steps, try restarting the machine.
Play the game.

If textures were not applied after installation of asset pack - reinstall assets one more time.

*** Installation Guide for Linux OS***
ActionVisual Clue
Put campaign file into folder for campaign in Linux OS
Follow the following guide but for Warcraft 3 Reforged: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxet_LLQIwE&t=424s
This runs Reforged under Steam's emulation layer
Unzip the Asset Pack as you would a zip file into the retail folder within the Reforged installation directory
The tricky part is finding your "home" directory where you put your custom campaigns. In one user's case (agibsonccc) the filepath was the following:
/home/agibsonccc/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/2542504305/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Documents/Warcraft III/Campaigns
The way proton works is you have steam and then an "appid" followed by a "prefix". The appid is basically a mapping to a "game" you specify in the left side in steam. That's wine's root directory. drive_c is C: then from there the paths should be the same.
If texture issues persist after the above steps, try restarting the machine.
Play the game.

Features
17 Missions packed with captivating gameplay

5 hours of Cinematics capturing and expanding on important lore moments

Lore conveyed through immersing gameplay, bringing you back into WC2 era

Voice Acting for over 1500 lines, from unit quotes to cinematics

Soundtrack recreating original Warcraft II music, made by talented artists

Heroes & Characters introduced through gameplay and cameos

Oil Resource system from classic Warcraft II, for immersive naval experience

Boss Battles with engaging and challenging mechanics inspired by World of Warcraft

Recommended PC Requirements
HardwareValue
Operating SystemWindows 10 64-bit (latest version)
ProcessorIntel Core i7
VideoGTX 1080
Memory32GB
Storage3GB (for campaign files)

Known Issues
Place - ScopeBugPriority for fix in next patchesComment
1GlobalSometimes Oil UI Warning messages can be played during cinematicsMediumNeed to investigate jass oil script and fix it.
2Chapter Nine: Razing of Tyrs HandEnemy AI doesnt send troops via transports to attack player.Medium
3Chapter Eleven: Quel’ThalasTroll camp AI might work weird. It has to be rewritten to JASS instead of GUI.Medium
4Chapter Ten: StratholmeMounted Gul’dan model has issues with facial animations. Probably need to rework model form scratch.Medium
5Chapter Ten: StratholmeEnemy Naval AI is not attacking playerMediumRequire a lot of effort on investigating AI script and testing.
6GlobalUpon Loading Saved game, the custom wc2 music list is played over like second layer.Medium
7GlobalBuilding and Unit models willbe updated in next pathces (pkb effects)MediumPKB effect were removed cuz it caused a lot of crashes before 1.36.1
8GlobalSome unit animations and models will be fixed and improvedMedium
9Chapter 13: Tomb of SargarasSometimes Rend Visual Aura Effect (BlackRoll and Roll) is not displayed .Medium
10GlobalGul’dan spell “Inferno” - summoned infernal need to be better balanced.Low
11GlobalCho'gall and Ogre-Magi Spell animation sometimes overlap and duplicate.Low
12GlobalFacial Animations are not stable in the maps that have a lot of dialogues.LowThe problem is that faceanim sometimes doesnt work for unknown reasons, and dev need to manually try another faceanim. Change and testing takes a lot of time.
13GlobalItems that need custom models:
  • Mana potion
  • earth elemental summoning token
Low
14GlobalMelee unit can attack enemy unit that is standing on the wall, no matter how big difference in Z axis is.LowMelee Attack in game enginge doesnt take into account Z axis. In order to fix this, the additional pathing blockers has to be palced. Tedious and time consuming work that could delay release for many weeks.
15GlobalSometimes Air units can go through models of high towers.LowThis reuqires tedious rework of pathing blockers in some missions.
16Lost Chapter: DragonqueenThe goblin motor boat damage flames are disappearing when Zuluhed dismounts from it.LowestHard to identify the reason why it happens.
17GlobalCho'gall In-game text transmissions missing line breaks.Lowest
18GlobalFPS drops in some cutscenes that have panorama viewIMPOSSIBLE TO FIXThe team didnt have the knowledge about some limitations, but we wanted to make some beautiful shots.
19GlobalOn the loading screen map can crash because of incorrect texture decompression.
Walkaround - restart the mission.
IMPOSSIBLE TO FIXBlizzard Bug
20GlobalWhen the Peon which carry resourse is switched to another Building Construction set, the resource he carry is lost.IMPOSSIBLE TO FIXThe game engine limitations doesnt allow to fix this bug.
21GlobalUnits that don’t have Facial Animations:
  • Goblin Zeppelin
  • Gangrel
  • Fanatic
  • Twilight Peon
  • Cho'gall
IMPOSSIBLE TO FIXThose units are using soundkits of the beasts and mechanisms, whose sounds were replced in import manager. And they don’t have the needed facefx.

Credits

Click here for full credits list.

"Huge thank you to everyone who supported us, helped us, believed in us.
We hope this campaign was fun to play. Stay tuned for upcoming sequel
Chronicles of the Second War - Rise of the Alliance."
- LoreCraft Designs team

Translation / Dubbing

Changelog

Patch v1.03 29/Jan/2024)

Hotfix v1.02 11/Jan/2024)

Hotfix v1.01 09/Jan/2024)

Previous Version Savegames will not be loadable.
Acts now are visible for the first playthrough for the blocked players if they dont want to start from the begining.

Campaign:

• Chogall cinematic walk fix by Fugrim
  • Deathwing Pre-Wow remodeling by Handclaw (model) and Symphoneum (animations) + fixes by VictorZ (animations)
  • Goblin Zeppelin Portait floppy mouth animation fix by Malmgrev
  • Death Knight Death Coil Ability Drain Effect changed to Red Life Drain
  • Death Knight Armor type changed to Small
  • Death Knight HP increased from 400 to 600
  • Human Mage Armor type changed to Small
  • Human Mage HP increased from 400 to 600
  • Dragon armor increased from 0 to 2
  • Gryphon Rider Armor increased from 0 to 2
  • Goblin rockets item damage doubled
Mission 06S:
  • Fixed Alextrasza landing bug in Lost Chapter I: Dragonqueen
  • Decreased the amount of souls to charge the Dragonsoul from 5 to 3
Mission 10:
  • Teron Gorefiend superunit armor type changed to Small and life increased to 1000
Mission 4:
  • Naval AI upgrade level nerfed to 1 on Hard and training pause increased
Mission 5:
  • Naval AI upgrade level nerfed to 1 on Hard and training pause increased
Mission 7:
  • Removed second ballista from Stromgarde Attack Wave on Hard and Normal

Acts now are visible for the first playthrough for the blocked players if they dont want to start from the begining.

Campaign:

• Zeppelin price increased from 500 to 1000 gold
  • Zeppelin build time increased from 20 to 61
  • Zeppelin food cost increased from 1 to 4
  • Pillage rate nerfed
Mission 09:
  • Hold the line defeat condition changed to be more reliable
  • Autokiling zeppelins that reach cinematic area of Tyrs Hand
Mission 11S:
  • Decreased bounty for killing units

Mission 01:

• Creeps nerfed
  • Fixed bug with signal fire completion after failing
Mission 02:
  • Creeps nerfed
  • Fixed sasquatch flying above the cave
Mission 03
  • Naval AI nerfed
  • Creeps nerfed
Mission 04:
  • Creeps nerfed
  • Fixed skin for Gilneas Battleship
  • Nerfed naval AI difficulty
  • Placed the fountain of health in the camp
Mission 5:
  • Extended beach for building naval buildings in north part
  • Creeps nerfed
  • Changed drop for jungle monster
  • Naval AI difficulty nerfed
  • Turned off Rain for better performance
Mission 6S:
  • Fix Alextrasza stuck when she goes back
  • Creeps nerfed
Mission 7:
  • Creeps nerfed
Mission 8:
  • Creeps nerfed
Misison 8S:
  • Creeps nerfed
Mission09:
  • Fixed instant defeat on the last quest Hold the Line
  • Creeps nerfed
  • Archmage is invulnerable now till he starts freezing the lake
Mission 10:
  • Reworked logic of Death Knight Cinematic launch (now no need to wait till all player units are killed near the cathdral)
  • Creeps nerfed
Mission 12:
  • Fixed Chogall running away in bossfight phase 2 and 3
  • Fixed Rend disappeared from cache (need to be tested starting form mission 9)
Previews
Contents

CSW campaign Tides of Darkness (Campaign)

Reviews
Archian
We are thrilled to share some news with all of you about Chronicles of the Second War: Tides of Darkness, we are happy to announce that it has been officially granted a prestigious Director's Cut rating! This recognition is a testament to the...
Level 2
small typing error in the installation guide: the folder to copy the campaign file into is C:/User/Documents/Warcraft3/Campaigns/ ...not Campaings/ :) be aware of this, if you got create the folder yourself if it's not existing already.

by the way: the textures / models missing, which seemingly is fixed by rebooting your PC, just didn't work for me... till i realized that i forgot to run the CSW installer as admin. after i did that , i didn't even have to restart. worked instantly. :xxd:

Last edited:
Try again:
1. Put campaing file in C: Documents/Warcraft3/Campaings/
2. Run installer as administrator. Make sure you sue correct installer (not 2020 version but the one attached in the instruction)
3. Click on "Delete CSW' - that will purge assets
4. Click in "Load Assets" - pick a file with assets
5. Wait till they are installed.
6. Reboot PC
4. Launch Game

Level 21
Try again:
2. Run installer as administrator. Make sure you sue correct installer (not 2020 version but the one attached in the instruction)
3. Click on "Delete CSW' - that will purge assets
6. Reboot PC
4. Launch Game
I commented on this already:
I cannot download the asset pack since a lot of other people have, any quick solution or just wait a few days?

Level 6
This is glorious. I love it. I (re)bought Reforged again just to play this. This singlehandedly makes Reforged worth buying and maybe even redeems it.

The writing is great too. It has that classic Warcraft edge but somehow it feels more...realistic? So far, I particularly liked the interaction between the Captain and the Magistrate. So far, the magistrate doesn't seem like a cartoonishly evil guy (even if he has the look and voice). He's wrong but I can see why he sees things the way he does. I love the gritty and slightly realistic tone this has. It's not the Witcher or Game of Thrones, just a slightly grittier and more cartoonish Lord of the Rings, meaning it's just like Warcraft 2 but perfectly blended with all the modern stuff. That goes for everything. Music, art style, writing. It's all I ever wanted from Warcraft.

Oh and these guys respect the lore more than Blizzard ever have. So far, nothing is retconned but rather blended with the good parts of modern WOW.

The difficulty is brutal on Hard. I am barely on Mission 3 and I already feel overwhelmed. If you're not great at strategy games, be warned.

About the only negative is the installation. I don't see why this isn't all bundled in a .ZIP file for convenience. It would make the mod more professional if all you needed was a click and install. I know this is really nitpicky but oh well.

From now on this mod is my headcanon and I hope you will one day also make a WOW server like Turtle wow based on your version of the lore and writing. Maybe it could even use the 3D models you made. I'm so DONE with the oversaturated Disney crap Blizzard puts out these days...I'm so DONE with all the cosmic crap and convoluted and unfinished storylines. I'm so DONE with all the vomit of colors in modern WOW. ARMOR FINALLY LOOKS LIKE ARMOR AGAIN!

EDIT: Finally, I seriously hope you guys will make some stylized asset production tutorials. I am a 3D artist but I can only make realistic stuff. I'd love to learn how to make stuff like this.

Last edited:

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Hello guys. Archian asked me to help out here. Google Drive has some limitations on how many times a file can be downloaded it seems. I have taken the liberty to upload the Asset Installer and Asset Pack to the Tools section. Click here to download them:

@ShadiHD, I made you co-author on the bundle so you can do with it what you please.

Level 2
Hello guys. Archian asked me to help out here. Google Drive has some limitations on how many times a file can be downloaded it seems. I have taken the liberty to upload the Asset Installer and Asset Pack to the Tools section. Click here to download them:

@ShadiHD, I made you co-author on the bundle so you can do with it what you please.
Amazing, thank you!

Level 1
Hi, Amazing work! I played the demo and was so excited when I saw you had finished the game!
I am running into some problems that i hope you can help me with: Whenever i open "Custom campaigns" the game crashes and i cant find any way to fix it. When it crashes i get the pop-up you can see in the picture.
I hope you can help! Best regards a big fan
billede_2024-01-05_213854830.png

Level 2
I tried it and for some reason all of my installs end up being "canceled". Either user error which I am not sure what I am doing wrong or the same issues others have reported. In addition, both the original download and the new one have about an hour download time.

EDIT: I was able to download the installer and now I am waiting on the assets. So far, it has taken about 1.5 hrs. I understand the developers are doing everything they can and out of their own free time. I will wait for however long it takes to polish everything up. Thanks for all the incredible work you all have done!

EDIT2: Downloads took 2.5 hrs. I followed all the steps using the new link with new asset and installer and now when I enter custom campaigns, Warcraft 3 cannot find any. I am stuck for now so will give it another try tomorrow.

Marking this as solved: Warcraft 3 requires a different destination for me, in my onedrive for some reason. So I think I had to wait for the files to be synced before doing anything. Everything loaded up just fine. Can't wait to jump into this!

Last edited:
Level 2
Finally able to download the game and install it, i also have texture problems for several characters, Both in video and gameplay. Most of the orcs are white colored, also Cho'gal. Cant interract buildings.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_010524_223440_000.png
    WC3ScrnShot_010524_223440_000.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 95
Level 2
Update: My problem fixed with this from previous post:

Try again:
3. Click on "Delete CSW' - that will purge assets (this must be done!)
6. Reboot PC
4. Launch Game

Now the game is fine and can interrect buildings.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_010524_224040_000.png
    WC3ScrnShot_010524_224040_000.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 69
Level 1
I think this thread needs another update. On which version this campaign needs to be played, played it on the v1.35.0.19887. And it seems to be crashing once every 10-20 minutes.

Level 12
Awesome. Love the terrains so far. I'm the biggest hater of the ugly Blizzard cliffs, but you managed to hide them or make them look great.

Level 21
Well I only did 2 missions and won't comment on the maps yet but my game did crash on 2 occassions:
  • After completing a mission I wanted to change the difficulty, upon clicking the select difficulty button, the game crashed. After launching it again I had no issue with changing the difficulty.
  • When map 2 loaded, a few seconds into the intro cinematic my game crashed. Loaded the map again and 0 issues.

Another tiny issue was that during very little periods of the cinematics, the camera seemed to move a bit weirdly but it did not ruin the experience in any way and lasted for very short amounts of time.

Edit: there were also a couple of tiny grammar mistakes but I honestly don't remember where exactly since I was paying attention to the rest of the stuff which truly immersed me into the world of warcraft! Definitely 1 of the errors was on the 2nd mission.

PS: The experience so far was very immersive and the voice acting was good enough to not take away that immersion! The slower spoken dialogue was a step in the right direction for sure.
I was worried most for Gul'dan but his voice is actually pretty good. The "worst" so far is that of Doomhammer. Sometimes his voice is like a 9/10 but other times a 6/10; it's hard to explain but in no way this is a complaint (of major concern).
Honestly, reforged's more realistic graphics make this project so much better!

It's worth buying reforged only for this custom campaign, I swear to god!

Last edited:
Level 2
Hello, i have a issue with the mod. Most custom characters like Doomhammer are colorless, all white. And i can't see or select the buildings in the first mission, it's like they're not here but i can see my peons going from a invisible mine to a invisible Hall.

Level 10
This is very well made and I am loving every part of it. So far I have not run into any issues playing it, I only have a few missions left so hoping that last.

Here's a bug. When I load a save file, music tracks loop over themselves once.
Known issue, will be fixed in a couple of months.
Im having an issue to load the resource. The CSW_Tides_Of_Darkness_EN is a W3N-file. How do I change it to CSW?
You should not rename the campaing file. Please read the installation guide.

Level 2
Hello, thanks for game.

i install it everything ok. i play game but game is stutter. i dont get why?

i have 5700x 32gb ram 3600mhz rtx 3060 but i get every 30 sec like a fps drop stutter. fps 144 down to 37 than 144 again?

any fix or what can i do?

Level 6
One more issue, in the Tol Barad mission, during the Zuluhed solo part, I get the cutscene for the catapults but they don't actually spawn so I had to cheat to get through,

Level 28
One more issue, in the Tol Barad mission, during the Zuluhed solo part, I get the cutscene for the catapults but they don't actually spawn so I had to cheat to get through,
By cutscene, do you mean the one in the beginning where they are destroying the forest or the quick one later where they should appear after the dwarven ambush? If it is the later, are you by any chance playing on easy?

Level 6
By cutscene, do you mean the one in the beginning where they are destroying the forest or the quick one later where they should appear after the dwarven ambush?
I'm a bit confused but it's the one with the ambush, by that I mean the one before you get the base.

The part where the forest is destroyed is at the beginning? If so, there was no such trigger for me at the beginning but much later. I was left with just Zuluhed until I got to the part where I got the base. Maim was left waiting. Soloing that part with just Zuluhed and a handful of soliders was really hard and impossible when the catapults were missing.

Level 28
I'm a bit confused it's the one with the ambush, by that I mean the one before you get the base.

The part where the forest is destroyed is at the beginning? If so, there was no such trigger for me. I was left with just Zuluhed until I got to the part where I got the base. Maim was left waiting.
By forest cutscene I mean this cutscene as shown in the screenshot.
1704546789345.png

It sounds like you might have teleported Zuluhed to some place and assumed you had to use only him. So you never went back to your camp to trigger the cutscene which opens the forest path for Maim and the others. If so, can you point on this map where you mightr have used teleport to get to an unreachable place?
1704546998930.png

Level 6
By forest cutscene I mean this cutscene as shown in the screenshot.

It sounds like you might have teleported Zuluhed to some place and assumed you had to use only him. So you never went back to your camp to trigger the cutscene which opens the forest path for Maim and the others. If so, can you point on this map where you mightr have used teleport to get to an unreachable place?
That does seem to be the case. I got to the camp near the red circle. Then I teleported Zuluhed to the rock elemental area and then teleported to the path near the blue circle. From then I just assumed I had to use him and Maim had to wait in the camp (which felt weird). If I am not mistaken, the catapults were supposed to spawn near the yellow circle but they didn't so I cheated to finish the rest of this part.

1704546998930.png

Level 2
I wish everything was on google drive....downloading from here takes many many hours while google drive download is just a few seconds... :/

Level 12
Samze problem for maps corrupted or missing textures, try several times thanks to the comment it work perfectly, and what a game changer! it's unbelievible, just the mission 5 and the interlude, it's frking awesome, thank you so much :infl_thumbs_up::cry:

Any idea of thon the voice-acings for others language release ?

And Just some minor things, like utok not facing the interlocutor, gold is take 10 by 10 sometimes or some lines repeated in games but rly not big things

Level 2
Well after many hours of SLOW downloading etc...i could try it, every "new" model is a one colored mostly red, white or grey. Every icon is green totally unplayable. It's like the plastic soldiers just not green but white uncolored / untextured things... 0/10 I did everything as the install tutorial mentioned

Edit:

Pro tip: if you ran that installer as administrator, completed the "install" rebooted your pc, run that thing again and load resources again, it seems fix the missing modell issue :)

Last edited: