1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Seek unity between the elements in the 22nd Terraining Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Seize the moment! The 18th Mini Mapping Contest has commenced.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Chronicles of the Second War: Tides of Darkness Demo

This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.

¨Since the release of Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne - I had a dream to recreate Warcraft II campaigns using the Warcraft III engine capabilities.
I've been creating maps and models, doing long pauses, quitting and remaking stuff for years. When Warcraft III: Reforged was released it inspired me to finish this campaign.
At that time in early 2020 new teammates that were driven by the same inner fire, contributed to the project significantly.

Chronicles of the Second War: Tides of Darkness - is the attempt to reforge the Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness Campaign.

This is very complicated and challenging task because of great discrepancies between WC2 and WC3/WOW lore, different game mechanics (Naval) and big amount of chapters to make.
At the Current moment the maps for Tides of Darkness Orc campaign are almost finished and the polishing, voice acting and bugfixing process is in progress.
Since Custom campaign feature is not available yet, the team decided to release first 4 missions of ACT 1 of Tides of Darkness Orc campaign as demo maps.¨

- Tamplier777

[​IMG]
[​IMG]
Gameplay is vastly improved from WC2, now including sidequests, creeps and other mechanics from WC3.
- Warcraft 2 economy (prices and resource gain, no tax rates)
- Naval resource - Oil
- Naval buildings and ships
- Dual tech-trees for buildings (basic and advanced)

Custom Assets and more will feature both WarCraft II aesthetic as well as appearances from World of Warcraft.
- Custom models for most units and buildings
- Snowcaps system for all buildings in winter tileset for deeper immersion
- Dynamic weather and fog
- Bloodsplats during the fights as well as prolonged corpse decay time for more realism
- Voiced over dialogues (some still not final!)

Lore / Story will be heavy drawn from established lore in original games, World of Warcraft, Chronicles and other book series.
While there are some discrepancies when it comes to certain events and characters,
we made sure to deliver a clean, straight and presentable series of events that transpired in the second war.

- In the book Teron'gor was kiled in the assault of Temple of the Dead, and Rakmar Sharpfang survived.
Later Rakmar was sacrificed by Gul'dan in a ritual to create Deathknights.
In the campaign we switched their fates to pop up Teron, since he is more important character for the warcraft 2 plot unfolding.
Rakmar will be shown as deathknight cameo.

- In the official Lore Orgrim personally slayed the warlocks in the temple of the damned and imprisoned Gul'dan.
In the campaign Orgrim was busy with Stormwind siege and ordered Temple of the Damned siege to Blackhand sons that submitted to Orgrim after he killed their father.

- In official lore of the second war the main leader of the missions is Utok Scratcher.
In campaign he will be shown orc semi-hero (i.e. Naisha, Falric..), and in human campaign he will be a hero enemy boss during the siege of Lordaeron.

Characters from the original early games will be featured in our campaign.
- Rend Blackhand (available in demo)
- Maim Blackhand
- Zuljin (available in demo)
- Zuluhed the Whacked
- Cho'gall
- Gul'dan
- Orgrim Doomhammer
- Nekros Skullcrusher

[​IMG]

[​IMG] no u

Q: How do I play this?
A: Download the maps unpack them from each subfolder so you have all missions from 01 to 04 place them in your Warcraft III\Maps\Download folder
Start WC3, Single Player, Custom Game and enjoy from mission 01!
Opening the map in World Editor is disabled, the campaign is Reforged HD settings only.

Q: When will the whole Orcish campaign be released?
A: There is no precise answer for this question. We have all the maps, but still need to record voice acting, fix bugs, polish cinematics, make models for the Dwarven tech-tree.
We also have jobs and families. All we can say - we are trying our best!

Q: Is this a final version? If not, when we got the updates?
A:Hotfixes and simple things can be updated soon. But major requests will be analysed and probably will be included in final release.

Q: Voice Acting, cinematics, spelling errors etc. could be better.
A: Yes, as stated in intro screen voices aren't final. We will work with professionals and passionate fans to deliver the best we can, that applies to cinematics and grammar as well.
If you're interested in Voice Acting and have a good mic setup (pod mic for example), contact ShadiHD on our discord (links below).

Q: Some missions feel a bit slow and could use more action, will you improve them?
A: Yes, we have received a wast amount of feedback, thank you all for it! Mission 01 will be reworked to an extend, making it more enjoyable.
Some other aspects have already been fixed, such as oil resource. We're trying our best to make the game enjoyable!

Q: How is the lore set up, what about this or that retcon in missions?
A:
Mission sequence follows WarCraft II. Novels and WoW lore is used to give more depth to the story. Things like conquest of Khaz Modan will be shown in cutscenes,
same as with some other expanded or not playable lore bits from WarCraft universe.

Q: Do you guys plan to share the custom models?
A: We are, but not all at one time. Some WoW-related models will be available before campaign release.
Part of the models will be released when the Orcish campaign is finished and another part with subsequent campaigns.

Q: Is there a way to support you?
A: If you want to support us financially, you can do so via PayPal (you don't need to register, best solution is to donate with a credit card, and set a note).
Add a note when donating with the nick/name you want us to put in supporters list, or keep it completely anonymous, we'll very thankful regardless!
Under Activision Blizzard's new Policy, we cannot provide any privilege features such as early access or locked content for backers,
so everyone will get the same content at the end, but that's just ok with us!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can follow our progress regarding models and other assets here on Hive:
WarCraft: Chronicles of the Second War | HIVE

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tamplier777 - core plot writing, modelling, animating, triggering, mapping, lore tweaking, project assembling

ShadiHD - team & project management, custom modelling and texturing, voice acting, mapping, lore tweaking, assembling

Moonman - modelling and texturing, icons, presentation & video montage

Bagysta - modelling and texturing (orc characters)

Triceron - custom modelling and texturing (unique units and characters)

• Special thanks for Hiveworkshop members, be it resources or direct support:

- Zenmaster PR management and lore support
    - Trolldaeron concept art
    - InsaneMonster for his research in lipsinc
    - Mr.Goblin for Logo
    - Mythic for custom HD ability models
    - Retera for his amazing Model Studio
    - HerrDave for his help with English grammar and text/dialogues reivew
    - terrio for help with triggers
    - Vulfar for knowledge sharing in modeling
    - Sunchips for animated grass model
    - Stanakin for duck model
    - antontama (for icons)

• Many thanks for those who tested our maps first:

- Nagax
    - Kam (aka Arcitct)
    - InsaneMonster
    - Shar Dundred
    - Mythic

• Thanks you so much for donating to our project:

- ThralltheOG

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• + Utok's ability renamed to Self heal with fixed tooltip
    + Chapters renamed in map info to Chapter 01-04 instead of chapter one for better sorting in maps folder
    + Mission 04 - Added Towers on the shore
    + Mission 01 - If Rend dies, he will be shown in cinematic anyway
    + Mission 01 - second goldmine will be hidden in cliffs until humans arrival
    + Mission 02 - trolls conversations - fixed long pauses between quotes
    + Mission 02 - fixed capital letters in quest requirements
    + Mission 04 - Killing kids is not necessary now but it is possible.

• + Oil negative values fix
    + Oil UI warning added (Insufficient Oil)
    + Chapter 02 path spacing and trees cosmetic fix
    + Chapter 02 Rend hidden when cinematic skipped fix
    + Chapter 03 tent cosmetic fix

• Mission01
    + Resources cap decreased to 10 / 15 /20 K for easy / normal / hard
    + Tweaked trigger queueing
    + Added drops of lumber when tents are destroyed
    + Smoothed camera transisions
    Mission02
    + Player need to train 10 grunts instead of 5 in order to be more prepared to assault on prison camp
    + Zuljin will be freed when the Tower beside him is destroyed + trigger code refactoring + camera pauses removed
    + Elven Emissary renamed to Milan
    + Disabled creepsleep at night
    Mission03
    + Camera timings smoothed in the intro cinematic
    Mission04
    + Camera timings smoothed
    + Utok animation bug fixed
    + Meryn will be hidden if he is alive in the beginning of midgame cinematic instead of the end

• Mission 03
    + Oil rigs and oil amount quest completion bug fixed (faced by WTii)
    + Peon swap scaling bug fixed
    Mission 01
    + Quest message resources completed showed on final cinematic bug fixed

Contents

Chapter 01 (Map)

Chapter 02 (Map)

Chapter 03 (Map)

Chapter 04 (Map)

Reviews
Shar Dundred
I've already had the honor of trying this campaign, so I can safely say without a doubt that I approve it & look forward to seeing its further development! A job well done!
  1. Tamplier777

Tamplier777

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Regarding Catapult - I'm afraid if I place it in the map - poeple will ask why they can't control it. And yes it's an easter egg)
    Regarding ship - how can you attack him without ranged units?

2. VendarRimmer

VendarRimmer

Resources:
    Resources:
    If ship is close enough to coast, melee units can attack it. It's a bug?

I remember something similar from Age of Empires 1 and 2 so I thought it was intentional.

Here: (at 22:48)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  3. Tamplier777

Tamplier777

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    the closes ship triggered to be invoulnerable until final cinematic

4. stein123

stein123

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Maybe add the catapult being builded by a peon until the end of the mission?

5. IIICatalystIII

IIICatalystIII

Resources:
    Resources:
    I feel there being a catapult on the island without any explanation is benign. It's more of a viable concept of destroying a ship, I mean there are a lot memes from RTSs about hitting a building with a sword and it catching fire. It just doesn't make sense.

Maybe if it does seem too irregular to have a catapult Rend could just throw an explosive at the ship. Or have the mission start with a transport ship and an Ogre Juggernaut on the docks, later that Juggernaut destroys the ship.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  6. Reaver

Reaver

Resources:
    Resources:
    Maybe.

True... Maybe it's better to not put a catapult unit.

Never seen that until now. But anyway only one unit attacked the ship so at the end of the day it's always the catapult to activate the trigger.

Catapults can be build inside the barracks not by peons.

7. Tamplier777

Tamplier777

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    haha cool) so the ship becomes voulnerable when cinematic starts, and this guy just sent the order before cinematic started))) nice)

8. kingfirex2

kingfirex2

Resources:
    Resources:
    WOOOOW HOW DID YOU MAKE MISSION PROGRESS IN REFORGED AMAZING FIRST TIME I SEE THAT!!!! :O

why people said that cant make progress (items, level, abilities...) in warcraft 3 REFORGED custom missions ???????? :(

I loved so much this map and i loved so much abilities of wolfs :) and food limit no more amazing

one thing farms scale too big ??? hmm may be not

why warcraft 3 reforged look good in cutscenes but gameplay very bad i dont knwo why??!!

old warcraft 3 in gameplay acually is the best hope that blizzard find a solution for that

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  9. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
    you should try the Quenching Mod together with this demo to make it even better

10. Mr Ogre man

Mr Ogre man

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ok, what about an unselectable peon that is building a catapult close to the starting ship? that'd make it understandable for the players why there's a catapult at the end of the game. Maybe, you can even make the catapult be more built up after wolves and again after the first human incursion, as an easter egg. Just my two cents

11. ShadiHD

ShadiHD

Resources:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:

yes I like this suggestion as well, it gives logical explanation.

@Tamplier777

12. Tamplier777

Tamplier777

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    What if the wolves will reach the catapult?

This idea can produce a lot of bugs. People will be expecting playable catapult. I don't like this idea

13. Mr Ogre man

Mr Ogre man

Resources:
    Resources:
    The catapult and the peon should be invulnerable, obviously. It's like the boat at the beginning, that is there just for the visuals.

14. VendarRimmer

VendarRimmer

Resources:
    Resources:

I don't like this idea too. I'm not a creator of this mod but that's a single easter egg, a tiny detail. I'd rather the creators to focus fully on the gameplay than on logical justification of a few seconds long cutscene with a catapult.

Easier solution: make a new model for this catapult without wheels. This way there will be a damaged catapult that is not useful in normal game but still might work in this situation.

15. Standhaft

Standhaft

Resources:
    Resources:
    I tested it and left comments on Discord, but I can copy paste them here if that is more convenient.

Overall, looks great!

16. IIICatalystIII

IIICatalystIII

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't think that is an easy solution, that would be a bit of work for a mundane inconsistency.

17. VendarRimmer

VendarRimmer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Inconsistency would be a reference to nowadays Blizzard :D

It could be just a wreckage from first war that stuck in snow. Anyway, I think it's really a detail and they have more important task to do to finish this project.

18. Lloyd244

Lloyd244

Resources:
    Resources:
    Why didn't you made the heroes just some semi-heroes, but with one ability,a bit more damage and health? Like Utok with his heal and Rend with just the battlecry ( roar) i'm just curious..I like the campaing alot..The project alot..I wish I could suport patreon ( But life and poor country). So I'm just courious, why no semi-heroes like wc2.

19. Relith96

Relith96

Resources:
    Resources:
    Bugs found:
    • Chapter 1: I had Blackhand in the shore near the Human camp and it happened to spawn with him right next to them, he was there because I wanted to see if the box near the dock had an item inside. I think Utok and him should be placed somewhere in the base, even though this is a very occasional situation. Also, the Wolf nest/cave should be considered an enemy (and not a neutral) when the wolves start attacking the base.

• Chapter 2: Nothing to complain here, except for Zul'jin's cutscene voice which is very different from his unit voiceover, is that the one from Heroes of the Storm? It is good, I'm not complaining, but it differs a lot and it kinda bugs me.

• Chapter 3: This one went smoothly, except for the optional mission about refineries, that got triggered after I destroyed an Human oil platform, and before that I already took down a refinery.

• Chapter 4: Nothing to report here, worked fine from start to finish. <3

Suggestions:
    • I think the locked-on-unit camera work has hardly found a good way to be used in the whole game, both custom and main campaigns, I'm not a fan of that and I saw a lot of it here. I think more cinematic shots (maybe showing details of the custom models) would increase the quality of the cutscenes.
    • Dewyn's death in Chapter 4 (and some other cutscenes, but this one in particular) felt "empty": he had a full 3 or so minutes introduction with a cutscene that shows his dedication and determination and, when he happens to lose to the Horde, he just gives up and his death also brings nothing to the player, he just dies and the game keeps going normally. Something, like some more dialogue, or an item telling us more about him like an artifact, would be a nice addition.
    Final thoughts so far:
    This is what I expected from the Reforged modders, having unique models for EACH FACTION from both humans and orcs is a wet dream, as someone that started playing the series from WCII (I was way too little to remember what faction was what color, I also never finished the story, I'm guilty for that, but I seriously loved the game back in the day). I am eager to play the next chapters and see what you got in store.

Also, if you need some voice acting help, I would gladly give my voice for the project:I have a decent mic and some past as a fan-dubber for italian projects, but I speak fluent English, especially if I have to read it lol. I can do a somewhat solid orc impression and have a decent vocal range.

20. Reaver

Reaver

Resources:
    Resources:
    After thinking about the idea of the inclusion of a catapult I have to say that @Tamplier777 is right about NOT putting a catapult in the orc base. If you have a catapult, which is a unit with strong attack, someone would think why I can't use it? Since those are the first chapters you can't already have some "advanced" units already available at the beginning.

While this can be a job for the 3D artist I still disagree with the addition of a neutral unit to be used just for that chapter. The chapter starts and ends fine imo. The devs should focus on the rest of the campaign and if there is time they can fix some things. Focusing too much on just fixing stuff in the first 4 chapters will slow down their works.

I think it's better if you copy and paste your opinion about the campaign here because discord chats tend to be full of new messages every day and it can be hard to recover an old message.

I understand your point about having heroes working as normal units but WC2 heroes are simply normal units but with steroids. Instead, having some characters working as heroes makes the game much more interesting. I didn't like having the heroes with the same 2D sprite of normal units in WC2.

As I already wrote to someone you can send your voice clips to ShadiHD by sending an email to this address:
    Shadibilocate@yahoo.com