1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. And she's bought a stairway to heaven. The 6th Special Effect Contest Results are here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Seek unity between the elements in the 22nd Terraining Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Seize the moment! The 18th Mini Mapping Contest has commenced.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Chronicles of the Second War: Tides of Darkness Demo

This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.

¨Since the release of Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne - I had a dream to recreate Warcraft II campaigns using the Warcraft III engine capabilities.
I've been creating maps and models, doing long pauses, quitting and remaking stuff for years. When Warcraft III: Reforged was released it inspired me to finish this campaign.
At that time in early 2020 new teammates that were driven by the same inner fire, contributed to the project significantly.

Chronicles of the Second War: Tides of Darkness - is the attempt to reforge the Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness Campaign.

This is very complicated and challenging task because of great discrepancies between WC2 and WC3/WOW lore, different game mechanics (Naval) and big amount of chapters to make.
At the Current moment the maps for Tides of Darkness Orc campaign are almost finished and the polishing, voice acting and bugfixing process is in progress.
Since Custom campaign feature is not available yet, the team decided to release first 4 missions of ACT 1 of Tides of Darkness Orc campaign as demo maps.¨

- Tamplier777

[​IMG]
[​IMG]
Gameplay is vastly improved from WC2, now including sidequests, creeps and other mechanics from WC3.
- Warcraft 2 economy (prices and resource gain, no tax rates)
- Naval resource - Oil
- Naval buildings and ships
- Dual tech-trees for buildings (basic and advanced)

Custom Assets and more will feature both WarCraft II aesthetic as well as appearances from World of Warcraft.
- Custom models for most units and buildings
- Snowcaps system for all buildings in winter tileset for deeper immersion
- Dynamic weather and fog
- Bloodsplats during the fights as well as prolonged corpse decay time for more realism
- Voiced over dialogues (some still not final!)

Lore / Story will be heavy drawn from established lore in original games, World of Warcraft, Chronicles and other book series.
While there are some discrepancies when it comes to certain events and characters,
we made sure to deliver a clean, straight and presentable series of events that transpired in the second war.

- In the book Teron'gor was kiled in the assault of Temple of the Dead, and Rakmar Sharpfang survived.
Later Rakmar was sacrificed by Gul'dan in a ritual to create Deathknights.
In the campaign we switched their fates to pop up Teron, since he is more important character for the warcraft 2 plot unfolding.
Rakmar will be shown as deathknight cameo.

- In the official Lore Orgrim personally slayed the warlocks in the temple of the damned and imprisoned Gul'dan.
In the campaign Orgrim was busy with Stormwind siege and ordered Temple of the Damned siege to Blackhand sons that submitted to Orgrim after he killed their father.

- In official lore of the second war the main leader of the missions is Utok Scratcher.
In campaign he will be shown orc semi-hero (i.e. Naisha, Falric..), and in human campaign he will be a hero enemy boss during the siege of Lordaeron.

Characters from the original early games will be featured in our campaign.
- Rend Blackhand (available in demo)
- Maim Blackhand
- Zuljin (available in demo)
- Zuluhed the Whacked
- Cho'gall
- Gul'dan
- Orgrim Doomhammer
- Nekros Skullcrusher

[​IMG]

[​IMG] no u

Q: How do I play this?
A: Download the maps unpack them from each subfolder so you have all missions from 01 to 04 place them in your Warcraft III\Maps\Download folder
Start WC3, Single Player, Custom Game and enjoy from mission 01!
Opening the map in World Editor is disabled, the campaign is Reforged HD settings only.

Q: When will the whole Orcish campaign be released?
A: There is no precise answer for this question. We have all the maps, but still need to record voice acting, fix bugs, polish cinematics, make models for the Dwarven tech-tree.
We also have jobs and families. All we can say - we are trying our best!

Q: Is this a final version? If not, when we got the updates?
A:Hotfixes and simple things can be updated soon. But major requests will be analysed and probably will be included in final release.

Q: Voice Acting, cinematics, spelling errors etc. could be better.
A: Yes, as stated in intro screen voices aren't final. We will work with professionals and passionate fans to deliver the best we can, that applies to cinematics and grammar as well.
If you're interested in Voice Acting and have a good mic setup (pod mic for example), contact ShadiHD on our discord (links below).

Q: Some missions feel a bit slow and could use more action, will you improve them?
A: Yes, we have received a wast amount of feedback, thank you all for it! Mission 01 will be reworked to an extend, making it more enjoyable.
Some other aspects have already been fixed, such as oil resource. We're trying our best to make the game enjoyable!

Q: How is the lore set up, what about this or that retcon in missions?
A:
Mission sequence follows WarCraft II. Novels and WoW lore is used to give more depth to the story. Things like conquest of Khaz Modan will be shown in cutscenes,
same as with some other expanded or not playable lore bits from WarCraft universe.

Q: Do you guys plan to share the custom models?
A: We are, but not all at one time. Some WoW-related models will be available before campaign release.
Part of the models will be released when the Orcish campaign is finished and another part with subsequent campaigns.

Q: Is there a way to support you?
A: If you want to support us financially, you can do so via PayPal (you don't need to register, best solution is to donate with a credit card, and set a note).
Add a note when donating with the nick/name you want us to put in supporters list, or keep it completely anonymous, we'll very thankful regardless!
Under Activision Blizzard's new Policy, we cannot provide any privilege features such as early access or locked content for backers,
so everyone will get the same content at the end, but that's just ok with us!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can follow our progress regarding models and other assets here on Hive:
WarCraft: Chronicles of the Second War | HIVE

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tamplier777 - core plot writing, modelling, animating, triggering, mapping, lore tweaking, project assembling

ShadiHD - team & project management, custom modelling and texturing, voice acting, mapping, lore tweaking, assembling

Moonman - modelling and texturing, icons, presentation & video montage

Bagysta - modelling and texturing (orc characters)

Triceron - custom modelling and texturing (unique units and characters)

• Special thanks for Hiveworkshop members, be it resources or direct support:

- Zenmaster PR management and lore support
    - Trolldaeron concept art
    - InsaneMonster for his research in lipsinc
    - Mr.Goblin for Logo
    - Mythic for custom HD ability models
    - Retera for his amazing Model Studio
    - HerrDave for his help with English grammar and text/dialogues reivew
    - terrio for help with triggers
    - Vulfar for knowledge sharing in modeling
    - Sunchips for animated grass model
    - Stanakin for duck model
    - antontama (for icons)

• Many thanks for those who tested our maps first:

- Nagax
    - Kam (aka Arcitct)
    - InsaneMonster
    - Shar Dundred
    - Mythic

• Thanks you so much for donating to our project:

- ThralltheOG

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• + Utok's ability renamed to Self heal with fixed tooltip
    + Chapters renamed in map info to Chapter 01-04 instead of chapter one for better sorting in maps folder
    + Mission 04 - Added Towers on the shore
    + Mission 01 - If Rend dies, he will be shown in cinematic anyway
    + Mission 01 - second goldmine will be hidden in cliffs until humans arrival
    + Mission 02 - trolls conversations - fixed long pauses between quotes
    + Mission 02 - fixed capital letters in quest requirements
    + Mission 04 - Killing kids is not necessary now but it is possible.

• + Oil negative values fix
    + Oil UI warning added (Insufficient Oil)
    + Chapter 02 path spacing and trees cosmetic fix
    + Chapter 02 Rend hidden when cinematic skipped fix
    + Chapter 03 tent cosmetic fix

• Mission01
    + Resources cap decreased to 10 / 15 /20 K for easy / normal / hard
    + Tweaked trigger queueing
    + Added drops of lumber when tents are destroyed
    + Smoothed camera transisions
    Mission02
    + Player need to train 10 grunts instead of 5 in order to be more prepared to assault on prison camp
    + Zuljin will be freed when the Tower beside him is destroyed + trigger code refactoring + camera pauses removed
    + Elven Emissary renamed to Milan
    + Disabled creepsleep at night
    Mission03
    + Camera timings smoothed in the intro cinematic
    Mission04
    + Camera timings smoothed
    + Utok animation bug fixed
    + Meryn will be hidden if he is alive in the beginning of midgame cinematic instead of the end

• Mission 03
    + Oil rigs and oil amount quest completion bug fixed (faced by WTii)
    + Peon swap scaling bug fixed
    Mission 01
    + Quest message resources completed showed on final cinematic bug fixed

Contents

Chapter 01 (Map)

Chapter 02 (Map)

Chapter 03 (Map)

Chapter 04 (Map)

Reviews
Shar Dundred
I've already had the honor of trying this campaign, so I can safely say without a doubt that I approve it & look forward to seeing its further development! A job well done!
  1. BloodGem64

BloodGem64

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'll have to try this out. I saw an article online about the map and was confused that I hadn't heard about it yet.

2. The_Warchief

The_Warchief

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Well I've played through the first three missions thus far (got rekt on the fourth because I didn't build my navy and defenses fast enough so I'm taking a break) and I must say I am very impressed!! I can't wait to see where this goes and what the final release looks like.

Here's a list of things I noticed/thought of as I was playing, in terms of things that might need some tweaking.

- Utok being a shaman is a very interesting choice from a lore perspective. Zuluhed was supposedly the only "functional" shaman left within the Horde by the time of the Second War, and it is assumed that he was what we have come to know as a Dark Shaman: a shaman who forces the elements to do his bidding rather than ask. Thrall was the first new orcish shaman in a long time, according to Drek'thar in Lord of the Clans. Is Utok being the second of the only two shamans within the Horde something that is going to be explained and addressed, or was that an oversight/lore change on the part of the team?

- I have to say that the introductory dialogue in the missions feels clunky. I love the ol' Warcraft II debriefings as much as the next guy, but it's hard to make it work in the context of Dal'rend and Utok talking to each other, especially when Dal'rend says things that imply Utok is the one in charge of a particular mission. You may want to consider tweaking/rewriting some of those dialogues to make them feel a little more natural and make Dal'rend's position as the chieftain and leader a bit more clear.

- Why is Dal'Rend, a Chieftain of the Black Tooth Grin Clan, commanding only Blackrock Clan troops? If memory serves, the majority of the orc campaign in Warcraft II had you playing as the Black Tooth Grin, with black team color.

- Had a weird issue where sometimes characters' mouths moved when they talked and sometimes they didn't. In the first mission, for example, Dal'rend's mouth moved during his cutscene dialogue but not with his unit response quotes. In the second mission, the exact opposite happened. I don't know if this is just a general issue with Reforged or if there's something you can do to fix it at this point.

- The pacing feels just a -touch- slow at certain points, imo, even taking into account the desire for a slower pace you mentioned in the description. Most notably, the first mission can drag a bit in the start when you're building up the pig farms and then again at the end when you're just waiting to hit those resource goals. Lumber is particularly slow. Maybe you could consider reducing the number of required pig farms to 4 and making the goal 30k gold but only 15 or 20k lumber?

- Some missiles on units are completely silent, like the Destroyer cannonballs. There's no launch boom, no explosion on hit, it's kind of trippy, haha. Elven/Human archers also didn't seem to have arrow launch sounds, although they did make sounds on hitting. I think Zul'jin's poisoned axe also was silent until it hit, which is weird for a relatively slow-moving projectile like that.

- I appreciate abilities being set up with the QWER scheme, but I would love it if the same scheme was applied to unit training/upgrades and peons' building menus. Speaking of peons, why is their icon all the way off to the right instead of being the first button on the left? Throws me off every time I look at it, haha.

- Differentiating the naval units of the orcs and humans a little more would be a welcome addition, at least for me. I know everything was direct parallels in Warcraft II, but it seems you've changed that up a bit with the stats of the basic barracks units (I might be mistaken on that, didn't check in-depth), at least, so it'd be nice if the ships got a bit of love, too.

- As others have mentioned, tooltips are a bit of an issue currently. On a related note, making sure to properly capitalize words in things like tooltips and quest descriptions and making sure to use proper punctuation can help make things look a bit more professional. I noticed at least one or two instances of run-on sentences in some quest texts.

Hope at least some of that is helpful! Most of those are nitpicks, really. All-in-all, it's very good, especially for a demo! Keep up the good work!!

3. ShadiHD

ShadiHD

Resources:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    thank you so much for your input, this is exactly the type of feedback we're looking for, bugs and unintended gameplay halts are bound to happen like the lip-sync which randomly breaks at some points, sadly this purely blizzard's fault and at this stage its not in our power to find a proper fix for it.

- Utok being a dark shaman is within the established lore, during the course of the campaign you'll see his advancement in leading the Orcs, he was an established leader that accompanied many famous Orcs during the course of the war.

- regarding the dialogue, I believe @Tamplier777 wanted to pay homage to the original game and made sure that only the first 4 missions have tidbits from the original WC2 orc briefing, so the rest of the campaign will have a coherent dialogue between characters and how events unfold.

- Dal'Rend and Maim led both Blackrocks and Blacktooth Grin unto battle during the course of the war, the Blacktooth is more of an Elite Cadre of Blackrocks, so technically they ARE Blackrocks, which is why it's reaonsable for Rend to lead them and command them, under Doomhammer of course.

- the pacing of Mission 1 is being worked on, except some changes soon.

- Naval units and their sounds are still being worked on, a lot of stuff is still WIP, same with abilities.

- the text spelling and punctuation is being closely monitored, we're fixing it as we go.

4. abkhaz7

abkhaz7

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hi! I'm new here. Could you tell me please how I can play this demo? I've downloaded the files, now should I put them somewhere in?

5. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
    Documents Warcraft III Maps Download

6. The_Warchief

The_Warchief

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    My apologies, I wasn't aware Utok was an established character within the lore! It's been a long time since I've read the manuals front to back, so I completely forgot about his involvement.

Fair enough! I would still recommend tweaking the dialogue just a smidge, personally. Even something so simple as having Dal'rend say "We must" instead of "You must."

True! I guess I just always saw it as the player's units in the original campaign ARE supposed to be an elite cadre, considering the important missions they are given and the fact that they got their orders from Doomhammer directly, so it made sense to me why they were Black Tooth Grin as opposed to Blackrock. xP I'm sure y'all have your plans, though, and that the Black Tooth boys will come in soon enough!

All very fair. Demo is demo, after all! I figured most of this stuff would be on the radar already, but that it didn't hurt to bring up just in case.

7. Malistroth

Malistroth

Resources:
    Resources:
    The size of the buildings and some units is too big.
    Why not to use the wc3 economy?
    Why make the maps protected?

30000 wood is too much and too boring to collect.

8. IIICatalystIII

IIICatalystIII

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is what has me confused about Chapter 1 from a lore perspective. Rend and Maim are the top lieutenants, always by Ogrim's side. They were involved in the invasion of Hillsbrad, saving Zul'jin, Hinterpeaks, and the burning of Quel'thalas, only to take the bulk of the BTG to kill Gul'dan. This was the first time they left Ogrim. They were always with him so they could not betray him by splitting the Horde.

Zul'dare was the primary naval island for the Horde. In the manual is explains Utok and an unknown leader were there. The unknown leader could be dismissed, but Rend still doesn't 100% fit, Varok Saurfang would.

Varok was the second in command of the Horde at this time and frequently was off doing other side battles. If the unknown leader is dismissed, Varok makes more sense to have on Zul'dare. But if unknown leader is kept in, then only Utok should be there.

Imo I am splitting hairs, but if we're shooting for complete accuracy, those two make more sense.

Edit: editing why it's splitting hairs, because pragmatically too many characters may be introduced or awkwardly introduced if you don't already know the story . I think from a lore and player perspective it is and feels fine, it just isn't 100% accurate but definitely acceptable.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  9. rcshaggy

rcshaggy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Got to say I do really enjoy it a whole lot...

Chapter One;
    Interesting that the map changes after you do a certain quest, and having the map to be a little bigger and different would be nice...
    Kinda like the map itself could be changed to so we can see on how the Orcs get to the next area of the Campaign...
    And had no issues since I made my base after the Humans shown up and killed them and made my base...Would be better for them if they got a Hero Unit and some other units...Can make a army of Grunts and wiped them out easily...
    The resource gathering was a little much to be honest too...Felt really boring after killing the stuff on the map and would be more interesting if the map was slightly larger and a way to go to the next area and leading up there...

Chapter Two;
    Pretty great re-using the Reforged content for this map and I enjoyed this map way much better.
    In my own Campaign (When I was working on it...It's cancelled now), but I planned on putting the maps together and just had a large map...
    Kinda like you do certain tasks and get your forces strong and go attack the enemy faction and whatever side you are playing...
    I do love the Horde too, but really interested to see the other side of this Campaign if you ever get to it...
    But it was fun and seeing the forces actually have life was really interesting...

Chapter Three;
    Haven't really played it myself, but it does look good...From what I seen and it was interesting seeing the Oil Resource...

Chapter Four;
    Another I hardly played, but I looked at the map and got to say it was interesting...
    Do hope we get a good named hero for the other faction Campaign...

Besides that mumbling I actually enjoyed the Campaign and it has potential to be something more than my Campaign was...

If you need ideas then you can use more of the Reforged models that Blizzard gladly updated, which I honestly like more and the Ogres are way much better too.
    Could use the one-headed as Brutes and just us the two-heads for Casters...

And even the Hidden Models would be useful to if you need them...
    Wish I could rate and favorite this too since I enjoyed it like I said...

10. IIICatalystIII

IIICatalystIII

Resources:
    Resources:
    Chapter 2-

Having this be the mission be the one to need to make 6 grunts doesn't feel like it fits. In Chapter 1 we needed to deal with a wolf invasion and a human invasion. With a quest requirement of 6 grunts, with Urtok and Rend, it feels like that is all the soldiers you need to beat the mission. In Chapter 1 it also only wants you to build a barracks, never says anything about making grunts, but you could say that is implied. Because in Chapter 2 there is a quest to make grunts, it no longer feels like making the grunts in chapter 1 was even implied or even necessary.

Also because of this quest requirement of 6 grunts, it feels like that is all the grunts needed to beat this mission, but it isn't even enough grunts, with Rend and Urtok, to beat down the front gate because the towers and archers will rip you apart. Instead why not have Chapter 1 be the mission to build up the 6 grunts, and in Chapter 2 just have Build up a force to free the Forest Trolls, having that requirement completed once Zul'jin if free. It gives the player freedom to say how much is needed without implying what is good enough.

The Gnoll camp in the north east is very narrow and closed for as many units there are. Opposite of this, the murloc camp feels appropriately open for the amount of units there are.

The swamp area is very open, but much of it is unused or nonbeneficial. For example the Monstrosity never aggroed my army, we just walked right by it. This does the same with the humans hiding behind rocks in the swamp. I could not see them and my units did not trigger them. This could be a good useful skip if the player knows what they are doing, but doesn't feel intended. A Example of useful skipping is the Human mission The Cult of the Damned; the player can either build up a base and fight it out which takes about 30min, or have Arthas divine shield straight to Kel'thuzad and win in about 2min. A great example of a swamp area is the NE campaign mission The Druids Arise. Going through the swamp is quick and easy, but feels dangerous, but exploring it is even more dangerous, but very beneficial.

The humans near the Forest Trolls in the south also triggered pretty late. My entire army passed right by them before they attacked me, in fact Zul'jin was already in the base. Maybe their trigger should be earlier? Could also be triggered to attack the Troll camp the same time you arrive, as if you saved Zul'jin and the troll base.

Trees. There are a lot of trees that fill up the map for seemingly no purpose because there is plenty of trees for wood around the base already. I really like the idea of hiding that sasquatch camp behind the troll camp. The Chapter itself flows pretty well, but having that much empty space is out of place, could easily be filled with others things like bandits, more sasquatches, dwarves, etc. Could even make a secret passage so avoid the swamp and go through the safe forest.

On the Map it shows an Amani camp north of Durnholde Keep, but in the game it has the camp be southwest of the Durnholde keep, are we not talking about the same camp?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  11. frankenpimp

frankenpimp

Resources:
    Resources:
    Trying and failing to download it. I keep getting "the archive is corrupt" no matter how many times try to repair it. Can anyone help?

12. paulH

paulH

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I've had a lot of issues with this. First of all it said the archive was corrupt when trying to convert it using winrar. To get around this I had to download on another PC, unpack it (somehow!), repack it and send it over to my gaming PC where it was unpacked. Unfortunately, when I tried to load the maps ingame I got a message saying "Unit data missing or invalid"

I'm using Reforged.

13. tulee

tulee

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Youtube promotion video's 4 main type of comments.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  14. lichao001486

lichao001486

Resources:
    Resources:
    Good job.

15. Anaxie

Anaxie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sums it up nicely.

Idiots still hating reforged.

Really only issue is them getting missing features back eventually.

I play multiplayer with classic settings but... still. The online community is more active now which is nice.

16. Tamplier777

Tamplier777

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    1. WC3 building scale is silly. Tower that is slightly bigger than footman? do you want this?
    In WC3 wolfrider looks like a child comparing to grunt.
    Scaling of units is out of discussion. It will not be as silly as in WC3.

2. Because this is reforging of WC2, we use WC2 economy, not WC3. And We will not change that.

3. Boring? When Grom was collecting wood was that boring? We could adjust that a bit, but imho people are a bit spoiled with WOW and SC2. Check the original WC2 with its game tempo.

17. Lone_Wolf_2021

Lone_Wolf_2021

Resources:
    Resources:
    WTF!!!

700mb?

that's large bro.

18. Tamplier777

Tamplier777

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    It was tough decisions to arrange herous through out the campaign. In the campaign it is not 100% equal to lore. In the books there was not specific attachments of herous to wc2 missions.
    The plot is written, herous assigned to chapters and this will hardly be changed.

You will face Maim in ACT2

Horde has too many herous to play already. So Utok is a Unit. When in the original wc2 score screen you see your rank - its Utoks rank. He is a Grunt. He was shaman in the past. I envisioned him as a grunt captain that was promoted during the campaign. And traveled with different herous and recorded their progress. The team convinced me to give him weakened shaman abilities cuz elements and spirits left the Horde after orc embrace fel.

Campaign will weight 1.5 GB at least.
    Sound files and textures and models are heavy.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  19. Anaxie

Anaxie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I suggest ziping the upload then.

Size will should go down anyway when it can be a campaign and not single maps. One would hope the classic team arent so incompetant that they cant manage to reenable customs before this project completes a full campaign or 2

As for the lumber comparison to groms.

What does that have to do woth WoW or Sc2. Awful comparison collecting an absurd amount of lumber offers no relevant gameplay.

In groms mission the amount wasnt even high conaidering you can kill 5 tree of lifes for 15k lumber and can easily get 5 shredders that net you 1k lumber a min.

Easy solution? Destroy alliance forces when they spawn. Wabam mega lumber cache drop. Simple.

Afking to hit the cap offers nothing to anyone and its not to admire graphics isnt an acceptable reason when the projects goala are the 4 massive campaigns. And im sure if quality is up to snuff these will be regularly replayed.

I havnt played yet but im not sure why you would oversize steuctures because of its comparison to units.

First and foremost youre making and rts campaign not an rpg story mod.

My opinion

20. Tamplier777

Tamplier777

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    So what do you want? complete it 10 minutes?
    Even with current amount it took me 21 minutes to finish mission.