1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Seek unity between the elements in the 22nd Terraining Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Seize the moment! The 18th Mini Mapping Contest has commenced.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Chronicles of the Second War: Tides of Darkness Demo

This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.

¨Since the release of Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne - I had a dream to recreate Warcraft II campaigns using the Warcraft III engine capabilities.
I've been creating maps and models, doing long pauses, quitting and remaking stuff for years. When Warcraft III: Reforged was released it inspired me to finish this campaign.
At that time in early 2020 new teammates that were driven by the same inner fire, contributed to the project significantly.

Chronicles of the Second War: Tides of Darkness - is the attempt to reforge the Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness Campaign.

This is very complicated and challenging task because of great discrepancies between WC2 and WC3/WOW lore, different game mechanics (Naval) and big amount of chapters to make.
At the Current moment the maps for Tides of Darkness Orc campaign are almost finished and the polishing, voice acting and bugfixing process is in progress.
Since Custom campaign feature is not available yet, the team decided to release first 4 missions of ACT 1 of Tides of Darkness Orc campaign as demo maps.¨

- Tamplier777

[​IMG]
[​IMG]
Gameplay is vastly improved from WC2, now including sidequests, creeps and other mechanics from WC3.
- Warcraft 2 economy (prices and resource gain, no tax rates)
- Naval resource - Oil
- Naval buildings and ships
- Dual tech-trees for buildings (basic and advanced)

Custom Assets and more will feature both WarCraft II aesthetic as well as appearances from World of Warcraft.
- Custom models for most units and buildings
- Snowcaps system for all buildings in winter tileset for deeper immersion
- Dynamic weather and fog
- Bloodsplats during the fights as well as prolonged corpse decay time for more realism
- Voiced over dialogues (some still not final!)

Lore / Story will be heavy drawn from established lore in original games, World of Warcraft, Chronicles and other book series.
While there are some discrepancies when it comes to certain events and characters,
we made sure to deliver a clean, straight and presentable series of events that transpired in the second war.

- In the book Teron'gor was kiled in the assault of Temple of the Dead, and Rakmar Sharpfang survived.
Later Rakmar was sacrificed by Gul'dan in a ritual to create Deathknights.
In the campaign we switched their fates to pop up Teron, since he is more important character for the warcraft 2 plot unfolding.
Rakmar will be shown as deathknight cameo.

- In the official Lore Orgrim personally slayed the warlocks in the temple of the damned and imprisoned Gul'dan.
In the campaign Orgrim was busy with Stormwind siege and ordered Temple of the Damned siege to Blackhand sons that submitted to Orgrim after he killed their father.

- In official lore of the second war the main leader of the missions is Utok Scratcher.
In campaign he will be shown orc semi-hero (i.e. Naisha, Falric..), and in human campaign he will be a hero enemy boss during the siege of Lordaeron.

Characters from the original early games will be featured in our campaign.
- Rend Blackhand (available in demo)
- Maim Blackhand
- Zuljin (available in demo)
- Zuluhed the Whacked
- Cho'gall
- Gul'dan
- Orgrim Doomhammer
- Nekros Skullcrusher

[​IMG]

[​IMG] no u

Q: How do I play this?
A: Download the maps unpack them from each subfolder so you have all missions from 01 to 04 place them in your Warcraft III\Maps\Download folder
Start WC3, Single Player, Custom Game and enjoy from mission 01!
Opening the map in World Editor is disabled, the campaign is Reforged HD settings only.

Q: When will the whole Orcish campaign be released?
A: There is no precise answer for this question. We have all the maps, but still need to record voice acting, fix bugs, polish cinematics, make models for the Dwarven tech-tree.
We also have jobs and families. All we can say - we are trying our best!

Q: Is this a final version? If not, when we got the updates?
A:Hotfixes and simple things can be updated soon. But major requests will be analysed and probably will be included in final release.

Q: Voice Acting, cinematics, spelling errors etc. could be better.
A: Yes, as stated in intro screen voices aren't final. We will work with professionals and passionate fans to deliver the best we can, that applies to cinematics and grammar as well.
If you're interested in Voice Acting and have a good mic setup (pod mic for example), contact ShadiHD on our discord (links below).

Q: Some missions feel a bit slow and could use more action, will you improve them?
A: Yes, we have received a wast amount of feedback, thank you all for it! Mission 01 will be reworked to an extend, making it more enjoyable.
Some other aspects have already been fixed, such as oil resource. We're trying our best to make the game enjoyable!

Q: How is the lore set up, what about this or that retcon in missions?
A:
Mission sequence follows WarCraft II. Novels and WoW lore is used to give more depth to the story. Things like conquest of Khaz Modan will be shown in cutscenes,
same as with some other expanded or not playable lore bits from WarCraft universe.

Q: Do you guys plan to share the custom models?
A: We are, but not all at one time. Some WoW-related models will be available before campaign release.
Part of the models will be released when the Orcish campaign is finished and another part with subsequent campaigns.

Q: Is there a way to support you?
A: If you want to support us financially, you can do so via PayPal (you don't need to register, best solution is to donate with a credit card, and set a note).
Add a note when donating with the nick/name you want us to put in supporters list, or keep it completely anonymous, we'll very thankful regardless!
Under Activision Blizzard's new Policy, we cannot provide any privilege features such as early access or locked content for backers,
so everyone will get the same content at the end, but that's just ok with us!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can follow our progress regarding models and other assets here on Hive:
WarCraft: Chronicles of the Second War | HIVE

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tamplier777 - core plot writing, modelling, animating, triggering, mapping, lore tweaking, project assembling

ShadiHD - team & project management, custom modelling and texturing, voice acting, mapping, lore tweaking, assembling

Moonman - modelling and texturing, icons, presentation & video montage

Bagysta - modelling and texturing (orc characters)

Triceron - custom modelling and texturing (unique units and characters)

• Special thanks for Hiveworkshop members, be it resources or direct support:

- Zenmaster PR management and lore support
    - Trolldaeron concept art
    - InsaneMonster for his research in lipsinc
    - Mr.Goblin for Logo
    - Mythic for custom HD ability models
    - Retera for his amazing Model Studio
    - HerrDave for his help with English grammar and text/dialogues reivew
    - terrio for help with triggers
    - Vulfar for knowledge sharing in modeling
    - Sunchips for animated grass model
    - Stanakin for duck model
    - antontama (for icons)

• Many thanks for those who tested our maps first:

- Nagax
    - Kam (aka Arcitct)
    - InsaneMonster
    - Shar Dundred
    - Mythic

• Thanks you so much for donating to our project:

- ThralltheOG

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• + Utok's ability renamed to Self heal with fixed tooltip
    + Chapters renamed in map info to Chapter 01-04 instead of chapter one for better sorting in maps folder
    + Mission 04 - Added Towers on the shore
    + Mission 01 - If Rend dies, he will be shown in cinematic anyway
    + Mission 01 - second goldmine will be hidden in cliffs until humans arrival
    + Mission 02 - trolls conversations - fixed long pauses between quotes
    + Mission 02 - fixed capital letters in quest requirements
    + Mission 04 - Killing kids is not necessary now but it is possible.

• + Oil negative values fix
    + Oil UI warning added (Insufficient Oil)
    + Chapter 02 path spacing and trees cosmetic fix
    + Chapter 02 Rend hidden when cinematic skipped fix
    + Chapter 03 tent cosmetic fix

• Mission01
    + Resources cap decreased to 10 / 15 /20 K for easy / normal / hard
    + Tweaked trigger queueing
    + Added drops of lumber when tents are destroyed
    + Smoothed camera transisions
    Mission02
    + Player need to train 10 grunts instead of 5 in order to be more prepared to assault on prison camp
    + Zuljin will be freed when the Tower beside him is destroyed + trigger code refactoring + camera pauses removed
    + Elven Emissary renamed to Milan
    + Disabled creepsleep at night
    Mission03
    + Camera timings smoothed in the intro cinematic
    Mission04
    + Camera timings smoothed
    + Utok animation bug fixed
    + Meryn will be hidden if he is alive in the beginning of midgame cinematic instead of the end

• Mission 03
    + Oil rigs and oil amount quest completion bug fixed (faced by WTii)
    + Peon swap scaling bug fixed
    Mission 01
    + Quest message resources completed showed on final cinematic bug fixed

Contents

Chapter 01 (Map)

Chapter 02 (Map)

Chapter 03 (Map)

Chapter 04 (Map)

Reviews
Shar Dundred
I've already had the honor of trying this campaign, so I can safely say without a doubt that I approve it & look forward to seeing its further development! A job well done!
  1. Pokemanharald

Pokemanharald

Resources:
    Resources:
    After playing for a bit i gotta say i really like this. Wrote down some of the issues i encountered

Chapter One

- When the humans arrived on the other side of the island i already had workers there working and they disrubted the cutscene with them arriving so it looked weird and you need this gold mine so i imagine players will be going for it early, might wanna block it off untill the humans arrive.
    - Healing wound on Utok says it heals for 0 over 0 seconds and it's somewhat misleading, i taught i could heal others with the spell but it's a self heal. Could also just be me
    - When Dal'rend has used his roar effect ability it's very hard to see what units are affected by it

Chapter Two

- The voice acotrs of the forest trolls in the first conversation is very slow
    - After rescuing Zul'jin it took some time to realize where the swamps was, i had to A attack move on the troll camp to figure out where to go

Chapter Three and Four

- the dialog text sometimes was very close to each other, not sure if a mistake or wc3 reforged's fault

After playing through all of the chapters i'm very impressed, the terrain is beautiful, the custom models are on point and i gotta give credit to the orc voice actors. The cinematics and sound is so good too. Map design and difficulity spike is also very nice

I'm looking forward untill more is released, also i will be very disepointed if Urtok is not promoted to a hero with more abilities for his efforts

2. Tamplier777

Tamplier777

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Utok will be enemy hero boss in human campaign)) Orc campaign already has too many herous

3. IIICatalystIII

IIICatalystIII

Resources:
    Resources:
    Chapter1.

Utok's Healing Wounds - can only be used on self, tooltip implies can be used on others.

Peons - Heavy Burdens, why does this exist? This wasn't a thing in Wc1-3. Is this to prevent long distance mining/chopping?

Wolf Lair - Hit radius is really small, only 3 units can hit it at a time. It feels like it should be more because of how large the object is.

Human Scout Animation - If you make a base at the nothern gold mine before the quest the human units will attack your base there, it messes with their animations and look wonky.

Will continue this later...

4. Tamplier777

Tamplier777

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Heavy burden is inspired from War of the Ring game where peons actually lifted bags. And it adds realism.
    Utoks heal wounds design only for himself. Will change the tooltip in final release.
    Regarding goldmine - will think how to resolve this issue.
    The wolflair is hardly accessible because of pathing - is is surrounded by cliffs. imho 3 units is more than enough.

5. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  6. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
    Others have already mentioned it, anyway
    • I like Dal'rend's Pissed quotes
    • Utok's Pissed quotes need more energy IMO
    • the Duck doesn't fit well in Reforged, it looks more like an SD asset than an HD asset
    • Zul'jin's voice in cutscenes sound like an orc and it's quite different in unit responses
    • Chapter 2 quest description is in small caps
    • Chapter 4 is just... disturbing, too disturbing. Could've spared the children at least.
    • Kingdom of Azeroth? Wasn't it retconned in Warcraft 2 as Kingdom of Stormwind and Azeroth being the continent?
    • Could you also change the subfolders in the zip as Chapters 01 - 04 than Chapters One - Four? The alphabet order messes it up

7. Tamplier777

Tamplier777

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Kingdom of Azeroth - actually I wanted to put more wc2 ingame, but I constantly do compromises with WOW. Please let me save at least something of non-retconned lore.
    Regarding kids - I though community was dissapointed when in reforged blizz made them invoulnerable. In warcraft 2 orcs were brutish... cruel and bloodthirsty.
    Regarding duck - we will make reforged version in the final release.

8. Moonman

Moonman

Resources:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You are right, Chapter Four is very cruel, not very PG12.
    This is the thing, whatever was changed by Blizzard for Thrall's goodboy Horde was not a thing before. Orcs were absolute monsters, and the whole war was a species vs species conquest for survival.
    Even though it's a game, even I felt wrong killing those civilians (damn, I made some of their models, kinda felt like killing my creation). But see it as motivation for attacking orcs when you play as Humans.

9. Tamplier777

Tamplier777

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Hotfixes:

+ Utok's ability renamed to Self heal with fixed tooltip
    + Chapters renamed in map info to Chapter 01-04 instead of chapter one for better sorting in maps folder
    + Added Towers on the shore in mission 04
    + Mission 01 - second goldmine will be hidden in cliffs until humans arrival
    + Mission 02 - trolls conversations - fixed long pauses between quotes
    + Mission 02 - fixed capital letters in quest requirements

10. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'd think of make them not aligned to the enemy and make them neutral to be attackable still like Stratholme; win-win for those who wants to be bad but not actually bad, and those who wants to do 100% clean sweep

It was kinda contradicting to the literally final statement about "honor", I also got the idea that the Orcs were already losing their bloodthirstiness when Gul'dan's warlocks were destroyed and when Orgrimm wanted to remove the Shadow Council from power

but then again, I'd prefer to make them neutral attackable to be attackable still.

Also, I like how the heroes' items and exp carries over to the next chapter; how did you do that on separate maps without save/load funtion?

Also (2), for those using Quenching Mod, I'd strongly recommend turning off water transparency

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  11. Tamplier777

Tamplier777

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    1. Will think how to handle kids in triggers.
    2. Game cache trigger function that is used for any custom campaign.

12. HellFriend

HellFriend

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hey guys. I just comleted your campaing so I wanted share my opinion.
    Excelent work I must admit. Texture of reworked building looks amazing. Campaing was surprisly welcoming to player who never played W2 so even if you make a mistake you could continue without restart.
    Dabing was really good but some of voices has really bad sound like from microhone for 0,5€/$. But in each map was ensuring that it will be change so I didnt pay attention to it so much
    But in each work can be found a mistakes. Didn't know where to report this 3 bugs/mistakes.

First is you secondary hero Utok. His healing sell has wrong tooltip where you can see healing
    Healing wounds
    Heals units for 0 hit points over 0 seconds.
    AND CAN BE USED ONLY FOR HIMSELF. DOES NOT HEAL OVER TIME BUT INSTANTLY 500HP

Second in first map there is a thing humans show up when you have stocked 20 000 gold. But if you scout area first you will new about gold mine so you will ofc set up a second base. And there is a problem when you have second base before 20k gold and you will reach this checkpoint in cinematic you can see like 3 humans talk between themself and didn't care about your base or your units but other humans soldier fight with you IN CINEMATIC :D it was really funny to watch ubt by my mind it should not work this way

For third in 3rd mission where you collect oil your collectors can return cargo of oil only to your Closest shipyard. It didn't make sense for me and make my life a little more complicated because some of the collectors for unknow reason go to another shipyard and stuck there do nothing. If it good dont know but it would be great place here warning about that it can save a lot of trouble while players would figure this problem.

THANK YOU FOR GOOD WORK, CANNOT WAIT FOR ANOTHER MAPS

13. IIICatalystIII

IIICatalystIII

Resources:
    Resources:
    Chapter1-

If you build buildings on the above and left of the northern campfire, where the human buildings spawn, their buildings will be on top of yours.

You can build your great hall right next to the pile of rubble that eventually exposes a mine after the humans arrive. This allows you to only need a few peons to maximize gold output on this mine.
    Side note on this, the main base(southern) goldmine exploded before the humans came, gives me a feeling it is possible to not have enough gold to build a great hall on the north goldmine by the time the humans arrive. Testing this, looks like humans come based on resources gathered. (Suggestion) Why not have it timed, unless the player reaches the 30k & 30k before the timer expires, then spawn the humans.

Additionally, why not have the mine be where the wolves are? Makes it so you cannot utilize the mine unless the wolf lair is destroyed. Or the restrict the map use to the most northern view of the map is the most northern wolf spawn. Then have the map unrestricted once the humans spawn. There should be enough wood around.

If Rend dies during this mission, he is not shown during the final animation, but you can still win.
    If Utok dies, no affect, he is still in the final animation, and items drop. Not sure if this effects chapter 2.
    Alternatively, why not have a resurrection stone, or a voice saying X unit has fallen in battle and is brought back to base, wait some time and they respawn at the southern great hall. Or make it if either die you fail the mission.

Pigfarm counter continues to show how many you have built, assuming the counter is intended to go away after 6?

Side thoughts, the map is pretty bland. It is a huge improvement from WC2 design, but compare the first 2 missions of the Orc prologue. There is tons of areas to explore, sometimes with items which may be vital for future levels, like health pots. I feel you've given yourself a large canvas and filled it with trees. It could be a great way to introduce other stories like goblins, trolls, or even golems. For much of the mission I was sitting there not doing anything with these units. In the WC3 campaigns this is almost never the case since there is a lot of beneficial exploration via killing units for items or exp.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  14. ShadiHD

ShadiHD

Resources:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    thank you guys for your constant reports, we're constantly taking notes and post quick fixes to insure a decent play through! we're closely monitoring bug reports and suggestions

15. Nether_Drake

Nether_Drake

Resources:
    Resources:
    This looks really great, thank you for this project! Looking forward to seeing models of Turalyon, Alleria, Khadgar and Kurdran.

16. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I had the opportunity to play the first map so far (will update this post with more thoughts if/when I play more missions):
    • Overall the map looks great in terms of models, art, loading screen. All that stuff, kudos.
    • There were some relatively wonky tooltips (I will not list them all but you'd benefit from taking a round and fixing a number of them)
    • The first map while good-looking struck me as incredibly boring. For 90% of the time I just sat there watching my peons harvest way too much gold and lumber while doing virtually nothing. The wolf raids and humans were super easy to defeat as well so they didn't add much interactivity aside from a-moving to their location. I would consider making the map considerably harder (Wc3 is hardly a new game and people know how to order units around by now) and/or lowering the harvesting quotas.
    Overall an interesting map with a lot of potential. I'll try to get back to you on the other missions as well.

17. Zulmalis

Zulmalis

Resources:
    Resources:
    hey guys! great work soo far , i've been really happy when i woke up and saw your job on wowhead.
    as for myself i downaloaded the maps and everytime i try to open them ( i got reforged) it dosen't work , it says : error
    i've tryed to open themn from the editor aswell and the result is the same

18. Moonman

Moonman

Resources:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The maps are protected, you have to open them via single player custom game.
    If you downloaded Reforged just now, people are reporting issues with custom assets alround, you'll have to probably restart PC and wait some some hidden patch.
    I've playtested on every setting in HD, models and game works.

19. Tamplier777

Tamplier777

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    put maps in folder Documents/Warcraft3/Maps and find them in single player mode

20. Zulmalis

Zulmalis

Resources:
    Resources:
    thanks for the help, i've did as you said as i usually do for the custom maps and started it in single player mode but nothing.
    i will restart my pc and see if anything changes :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020