• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Chronicles of Darkness 1.5

[TD]
Chronicles of Darkness 1.5

[TD] Synonym Titles: Chronicles of Darkness,
Redness and Whiteness
Alternative Titles: CoD or CoDRW
Author: SonofJay Map Genre: AoS / Role Playing
Parent Project: "The Companions:
To the Underworld"
Targeted Audience: People who are willing to
learn and try new things[/TD]

About
Chronicles of Darkness tells the untold story of the inglorius battles
between the Companions and the Death Knights originated from my RPG
"The Companions: To the Underworld".

Special Features:
-Classes
-RPG like stat system
-Intelligent Protectors
-Intelligent ability formulas
-Item attachments
-Unique terrain

[TD] Classes

Chronicles of Darkness

Chronicles of Darkness brings you to a new style of
AoS trashing the generic, numerous numbers of heroes
narrowing the options to a limited classes that has particular
expertise but can still cover multiple roles through the right
combination of equipments and stat distribution.

Current version only feature the Warrior Class[/TD]

[TD] RPG like stat system

When your hero gains a level you'll be given 5 skill points to increase the following stats at the stat upgrade (F1):

[TD]
211785-albums6501-picture70494.jpg
[/TD]
[/TD]

1. Damage: Increase physical damage dealt
2. Armor: Increase physical damage resistance
3. Critical Rate: Increase chance of double damage
4. Bash Rate: Increase chance of stunning target
5. HP: Increase Hit Points
6. Movement Speed: Increase Movement Speed
7. Evasion Rate: Increase chance of evading
8. Spell Damage Reduction: Increase spell resistance
9. STR: Increase Hit Point regeneration
10. AGI: Increase Attack Speed
11. INT: Increase spell power multiplyer, mana and mana regeneration

[TD] Intelligent Protectors

Protectors are the unique counter part of the towers of the generic AoS maps.
The Protectors are heroes with a good chunk of HP, Damage and Armor and uses abilities to
protect your bases against waves of enemies.

[TD]
211785-albums6501-picture70495.jpg
[/TD]
[TD]
211785-albums6501-picture70496.jpg
[/TD]
[/TD]

[TD] Intelligent ability formulas

This section is highly connected on the RPG stat like System.
This is where leveling stats become complicated because classes abilities relies
heavily on statistics to deal havoc.

Ability formula examples:
-Dealing Damage:
X = Integer DAMAGE, Y = Integer Multiplyer

(X + STR) * (Y*INT)

-Misc:
X = Integer Knockback

X + AGI

This just shows that a Warrior class who is a Stregnth class also need to alocate
skill points to upgrade other statistics like INT.[/TD]

[TD] Item attachments

Chronicles of Darkness mostly rely on stat upgrades
but there are also items in the game that you can buy.
They are equipments like weapons, armors and shields that will pop-up
in your hero when bought.

They are quite expensive for decorations but since stat upgrades rely on
skill points then a chunk of golds for cheese doesn't hurt and besides it also give
some bonuses.

[TD]
211785-albums6501-picture70499.jpg
[/TD]
[TD]
211785-albums6501-picture70498.jpg
[/TD]
[TD]
211785-albums6501-picture70497.jpg
[/TD]

[/TD]

[TD] Unique terrain

Well designed terrain for a AoS map is hard to find in this mediocority and fortunately
Chronicles of Darkness is one of those hard to find maps! Set in the RUINS
of a fictional place called Ak'duar Ruins' originated from the lore of my RPG
"The Companions: To the Underworld". I give you a eye pleasing terrain
that still retains the Warcraftish feeling but while being fresh and hot.

[TD]
211785-albums6501-picture70501.jpg
[/TD]
[TD]
211785-albums6501-picture70500.jpg
[/TD]
[/TD]

[TD] Author's Note:

Chronicles of Darkness, at first, looks kind of complicated for a AoS map
due to numerous statistic, ability formulas and equipments to wear but when learned is as fun
and easy to play as other AoS out there.

Chronicles of Darkness trys to achieve a unique and quality gameplay that we don't
usually see on other AoS maps by adding RPG features and other small, unique but simple ideas
like protectors who are heroes who defend the base and uses abilities to destroy you instead of the generic
building towers who just throw missiles at you.

Also its been a fucking dream of mine to make a unique AoS way before I even found hiveworkshop.
I have this unreleased projects called Heroes AoS, Gunslinger AoS, PG AoS and Chaos Arena that
all are nothing but a bust so I hope that Chronicles of Darkness will be that AoS that I'd been
trying to achieve my whole stay here.[/TD]

[TD] Credits

Many thanks to this guys for their resources and
efforts that helped me on this project

Ogare
Hossomi
Ace_Hart
Friky
DividedbyZero
Fingolfin
-Kobas-
Sunchip
RED
NFWar & Revilo
Sellenisko
BuP
Pretor

and special thanks to Moyackx/Moyack and Blizzardmodding.info for the JNGP 2.0 that hepled me test multiplayer systems by myself.[/TD]

[TD] Changelog
Project started at: 6/9/13

CoD 1.0

-First playable and fully functional version.

CoD 1.1
Major:
-Added additional stat upgrades:
*Critical Rate (Max Level: 10)
*Bash Rate (Max Level: 10)
*Health Increase (Max Level: 15)
*Mana Increase (Max Level :15)

-Fixed problems of some players not getting their Class abilities after picking

-Re-worked the conditions of disabling the invulnerability of the
Companion Chieftain and Death Knight General from:
"All protectors need to be killed" to "If anyone from the three protectors killed"

-Fixed the bug of Death Knight protector not using any of its abilities

CoD 1.1b

-Disabled/Temporarily removed the following stat upgrades due to bugs:
*Health Increase
*Mana Increase

CoD 1.2

-Added additional stat upgrades:
*Evasion (Max Level: 10)
*Spell Resistance Max Level: 10)

-Critical Rate and Bash Rate is now visible to players

CoD 1.3 6/16/13

-Re-added Health Upgrade but removed its upgrade limit
-Changed Mana upgrade to Movement Speed upgrade
-Upgraded Creeps Stats
Foot Unit:
HP: 330 -> 660
Damage: 14 -> 28

Cavalary Unit:
HP: 410 -> 820
Damage: 19 -> 38

Ranged Unit:
HP: 220 -> 440
Damage: 14 -> 38

CoD 1.4 6/19/13

-Fixed item purchasing issues
-Fixed item tooltips
-Protectors and the Chieftain/General will not be revived anymore
-Fixed Win/Condion
-Removed PH soundtrack. A new soundtrack will be added soon.

Any team who can destroy the castle of the others win the game.

CoD 1.5 6/22/13

CoD 1.5

-Item bonus should not increase very near allies anymore.
-Removed the Cancel option on the hero selector since it serves no purpose at the moment.
-Players can no longer attack their allies.
-Multiplyer of X * INT on abilities damage is now reduced from 1.1 to 0.7
-New Items:

Death's Set
-Death's Armor
-Death's Sword
-Death's Shield

Death's Revenge Arc 1.0
-Every 7 minutes a wave of undead ghouls will attack both the bases.

[/TD]

[TD]Here I will answer generic questions and comments so I don't need to do it in the future.

C: Few classes instead of hundreds of heroes? Are you kidding me?
A: Yes, I am kidding you.

C: Fuck this map, its hard to learn.
A: Well re-read the "Targeted Audience:" at the top and its actually quite easy if you just give a couple of minutes to get a grip of the game.

C: Where are the other classes?
A: In the future updates. I'm only releasing the version with the Warrior class.

C: The warrior can use its ulti outside the map.
A: Arrrgggh. I'll fix it later but its not really a problem as long as you and the other players agreed to not jump in odd areas.

Q: How can I contribute on this project?
A: Just giving proper feedbacks, criticism and bug reports are already a big help.

Q: Can I suggest something?
A: Go ahead, but if you know me then you know that I do listen to suggestion but I always prioritize what I want for my map.

Q: Some unwalkable terrain is empty, why?
A: Will finish it later, the thing is that the playable part is 100% finished.

Q: AI?
A: Working on it, this is not OotF: Arena that have a weird asthetic that made the development of AI easy, Chronicles of Darkness will probably take a while.. A damn while.[/TD]
[/TD]

Keywords:
AoS, Darkness, Redness, Whiteness
Contents

Chronicles of Darkness 1.5 (Map)

Reviews
Orcnet10:02, 24th June 2013 Map Approved Chronicles of Darkness (Version 1.5) RateScorePercentLetter 5/591-100A RateScorePercentLetter 4/581-90%B RateScorePercentLetter 3/575-80%C RateScorePercentLetter 2/570-74%D...
Level 6
Jay, the map is no fun! The creeps are too tough!:grin:
Well, somehow those bastards receive no more than 20% of damage from my spells! Does the damage spread between them or they just have immense spell reduction?
[sorry, my fault. I suddenly understood it's N + (str x 0.7 int), not (N + str) x 0.7 int]
And I died too fast, but that's my fault. Also I suppose you'll make kind of scoreboard that shows amount of skill points spent on every stat. 'Cos calculating it myself is a bit annoying. And maybe remove the missile from the Jump skill?
But on the bright side I love the spell system idea. It makes you take care of every main stat hwen you level up, but as for now, Int rules (well, as far as I played). I wanted to make the same system in my map, so it's great to see this in action.
So, great work for now, but I see it's still only a little bit of what's gonna be at the end. So, the start is cool, good luck with the rest! Gonna check all of the new versions.
And please, make some kind of healing fountain on the base!:p

EDIT: sorry, I've forgotten to say that terrain is really something. So grim... Yeah, just as I love it.

Last edited:
Level 2
This map is FREAKING amazing! Enjoyed to play it even with the 1 class, waiting for more ofcourse :) you dont have to take my sugestion, but i think cheap hp regeneration potions would be nice, espetialy if this map going to be without fontain :) nice idea! Still playng it. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Level 28
Well version 1.6 is now cancelled, there will be a new way of naming Chronicles of Darkness' version and its arc, it is called "Episode". As I said before, Chronicles of Darkness have Arc inside it, every arc will only remain on each Episode. Version 1.0 - 1.5 serves as the beta testing for systems and game mechanism and thus it serves its purpose.

Well it is something like this you can also see the future arcs after the Death's Revenge Arc

Episode 1.0 - 1.5 - Beta testing
Episode 2.0 - - Death's Revenge
Episode 3.0 - - The Servants of the One
Episode 4.0 - - Thirst for Magic
Episode 5.0 - - The Green and The Angry

Progress to Episode 2.0 can be found here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2361622-post2.html

Level 2
How do you think about item like Torch, wich you can wield on offhand and it ads a little bit dmg something like +2 dmg, ads 5 dmg per second for 4sec after bash, increases sight of view and active ability throw Torch to a targeted area igniting it but losing Torch?

Level 28
How do you think about item like Torch, wich you can wield on offhand and it ads a little bit dmg something like +2 dmg, ads 5 dmg per second for 4sec after bash, increases sight of view and active ability throw Torch to a targeted area igniting it but losing Torch?

Well kinda weird for Warrior class who wield sword and shield but I'll put it in my suggestion box since I was thinking of adding this Custon Day n Night Cycle that when night falls it will slowly become darker and darker and a torch in hand will help you see your surrounding better. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Level 28
i like your idea.. i've been thinking about that from a long time ago, but i never make a map..
good luck! i'll waiting for this

Well I already have this on my map Dwarf's Tale(Test map on map dev section) and it perfectly works, I just don't know if it will blend nicely on a AoS map. Oh well I do what I like so I'll probably add this. Updated Changelog/News post about this info.

Level 2
I think would be nice if one of the shields would have chance to block amount of damage instead of armour, so they could be a little bit more diferent :) Sorry for spaming :D

Level 28
There is currently a bug on the map that I can't fix that really stopped the progress. I already asked someone to help me fix it. Hopefully he can and soon.

I think would be nice if one of the shields would have chance to block amount of damage instead of armour, so they could be a little bit more diferent

A nice idea. I'll see to it that all shields will have a chance to block a amount of damage. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry for spaming :D

Don't be sorry, every post you guys give that concerns the map gives me motivation to work.

Level 2
I imagened if items would have 1 socket each and you could put stones there, these you can buy in the shop. Each stone is 1 of the 11 stats, so you can go beyond the limit of (for example) evasion. But they would be sortet, so some stats are weapon only, other armor only and so on. And to make them stronger you could combine them with combinations, like 3 stones of evasion would make 1 improved stone of evasion that has power as 2 of them. That is the nice way to put other (new) stats like life steal with secret combinations like STR + Health + Damage or critical damage - Damage + critical chanse + AGI or even reduce cooldowns :DD its crazy idea dough... :D inspired by your map to continue mine :))) Thanks. PS. Still playng :DDDD :goblin_yeah:

Level 28
I imagened if items would have 1 socket each and you could put stones there, these you can buy in the shop. Each stone is 1 of the 11 stats, so you can go beyond the limit of (for example) evasion. But they would be sortet, so some stats are weapon only, other armor only and so on. And to make them stronger you could combine them with combinations, like 3 stones of evasion would make 1 improved stone of evasion that has power as 2 of them. That is the nice way to put other (new) stats like life steal with secret combinations like STR + Health + Damage or critical damage - Damage + critical chanse + AGI or even reduce cooldowns :DD its crazy idea dough... :D inspired by your map to continue mine :))) Thanks. PS. Still playng :DDDD

its crazy idea

Anyway, its a pretty big system and I have no idea if I can make one but I'll do some testing(Don't get your hopes up though) I pretty much get the logic needed but I have no idea how to code it XD.

PS. Still playng :DDDD

Wow, thanks, there is no real big progress other than that I already applied the DnN cycles and that all shields no have % of blocking X damage but I'm currently having a problem with the lightning cause its currently bugging (some light model doesn't work and I have no idea why).

Level 6
I imagened if items would have 1 socket each and you could put stones there, these you can buy in the shop. Each stone is 1 of the 11 stats, so you can go beyond the limit of (for example) evasion. But they would be sortet, so some stats are weapon only, other armor only and so on. And to make them stronger you could combine them with combinations, like 3 stones of evasion would make 1 improved stone of evasion that has power as 2 of them. That is the nice way to put other (new) stats like life steal with secret combinations like STR + Health + Damage or critical damage - Damage + critical chanse + AGI or even reduce cooldowns :DD its crazy idea dough... :D inspired by your map to continue mine :))) Thanks. PS. Still playng :DDDD :goblin_yeah:

Well, that's kinda typical. There are a lotta guys who have tons of ideas but no ideas about their realizing. The common part is that the concepts are thoroughly planned, but it doesn't make any chances to bring 'em to life. Keep it simple, man, too complicated things are not always worth time spent on 'em :)

Level 2
Well, that's kinda typical. There are a lotta guys who have tons of ideas but no ideas about their realizing. The common part is that the concepts are thoroughly planned, but it doesn't make any chances to bring 'em to life. Keep it simple, man, too complicated things are not always worth time spent on 'em :)

Im doing the same with my map, but its allot more simple becouse i cant code. :) but with use of typical dota combination system it works wery well :)

And if im giving the idea, it doesn't means that he have to take it :)

Level 6
Im doing the same with my map, but its allot more simple becouse i cant code. :) but with use of typical dota combination system it works wery well :)

And if im giving the idea, it doesn't means that he have to take it :)

I knew you was making map on your own! Guess why? I was the same about 1-2 years ago :)

Level 28
@SoJ
How is it coming? Would like to see some updates here. How's 2.0 coming or the second chapter of this?

Everything is documented on this post, last time edited is 2 days ago. Don't really like to spam the thread with every little things I do on the map.

But here are the latest update on that list:
  • Custom Day n Night Cylce - Fixing bug
  • Change the function of shields to %block from the generic + armor - Completed

The only major problem right now is the hero selection(multiboard) bug.

Level 2
Only 1 hero, 3 premade spells, like 8 items, no potions, no fountain, no base hp-reg, no lvl indicator, knockback stops creeps, spells are bad/boring, creeps are overkill/too strong.
After 6 minutes everyone desynced.
Didn't it say something about no WIP-maps ? How is this 1.5?

0/5

Terrain is decent -> 1/5

:vw_wtf: You have'nt notice'd the posibility of the builds comparing to stats, items and skills? 1 hero is enough to have tank, rouge or mage. Fountain does'nt need tbh, but slow hp regen potions would be nice (then you can spend the rest of the money :D ) Sorry, but seems you dont feel the RPG feeling in this map :)

Level 23
:vw_wtf: You have'nt notice'd the posibility of the builds comparing to stats, items and skills? 1 hero is enough to have tank, rouge or mage. Fountain does'nt need tbh, but slow hp regen potions would be nice (then you can spend the rest of the money :D ) Sorry, but seems you dont feel the RPG feeling in this map :)

If you give this 5/5 there is no need discussing anything with you.

Level 30
Basing on Frotty's opinion about map, mostly at his/her point I kind of agreed because I do think for an AOS this lacks fountain which players depends on when out of HP, also some medium or moderate creeps (not hard and not easy) but I noticed that the creeps are also quite hard and the Guardians can almost rape you down...lol xD and lastly you should make the bonuses that the item gives is higher because they are quite low and if you will quite think there are quite some low variety of items though if you will add some more items, disregard this.

But still I do think this is not worth of a 0/5 because 0 means no effort is done into it and just looks really bad though I dont want to change your (referring to Frotty) mind, just expressing my opinion..

And SoJ, dont let such opinions lose your motivation. Keep improving and good luck! :)

Level 13
Looks like it's dead, isn't it?
It feels like playing one of those early access games.
From my point of view you should have started with calling this version 0.5.

You have talent in modding but you should at least finish one of your maps before you start another.

Level 3
The problem with these ratings is people see the artwork as a criteria eventhough that makes these high ratings nothing more than judging the "piece of art" instead of the game itself.
Did he even playtest it, test it's functionality?
There are so many bugs that make this map unplayable at some point and on top of that that these bugs return frequently...
Most of these bugs are stated here but this is what should have been tested before you "publish" the map, since there's a great chance there are more bugs we can't even get to since these primary ones aren't fixed yet.

I'd rate this game a 1 or 2 on 5 eventhough it has nice artwork.
This game didn't make me want to play it again... Sorry.