• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Characters of Arkain [SPOILER]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
I was wondering if the most recent chapter & interlude
would make a person or two throw in another comment regarding the Destroyer. :p
Sure, after the act 3 finale destroyer became a much more interesting character. I knew he would not fight Rangul with the minor clans but just use them as cannon fodder during the invasion or else.

After talking to the prophet he knew that something is going to change, either winning or losing the war. He knows that they´ll most probably lose the war even with his help and yet wants to die for his dream.

I hope he survives after the second orc book but he´ll probably die to Okri´s hands to have some sort of development.

Level 29
After talking to the prophet he knew that something is going to change, either winning or losing the war. He knows that they´ll most probably lose the war even with his help and yet wants to die for his dream.
And surprisingly his goal is the most likely to be achieved out of all the orcs that are part of Rangul's group. The others either want to conquer the kingdoms and defeat the demons or take revenge on the humans, and both of these goals have very low chances of success. The Destroyer only seeks to kill as many as possible, and this is very easy to accomplish for an individual like him.
I hope he survives after the second orc book but he´ll probably die to Okri´s hands to have some sort of development.
Considering his personality, these are some of the things that can happen:
-He will fight on the frontlines against Cleavehand's defenses and die there
-If he survives, and when the Demons attack, he will fight them in order to buy the other orcs time to retreat
-If he survives the second and separates from Rangul, he can be swayed by Rath to join on his quest to kill Greymoore and most likely die during it
-If he survives the second but stays with Rangul, he might be killed by Okri as revenge, unless Amari tells her to spare him as he could be useful

Level 19
Considering his personality, these are some of the things that can happen:
-He will fight on the frontlines against Cleavehand's defenses and die there
-If he survives, and when the Demons attack, he will fight them in order to buy the other orcs time to retreat
-If he survives the second and separates from Rangul, he can be swayed by Rath to join on his quest to kill Greymoore and most likely die during it
-If he survives the second but stays with Rangul, he might be killed by Okri as revenge, unless Amari tells her to spare him as he could be useful
I dont think he´ll die against cleavehand´s defenses, the only regiment that can 1v1 the bloodhand clan is the Bull regiment and they´ll be gone to fight for Genethas.
He might die buying time for demons (thus becoming a legend for his sacrifice) but it is unlikely.
I think Renald will imprison Greymoore so the Rath mission will change
The last one is the most likely BUT since the orcs are changing (with all the dominion allies and becoming a nation) Okri may forgive the Destroyer, or at least make a temporary truce until they defeat Redfist. A legendary duel between Okri (leader of the female clan) and The destroyer (the strongest orc by brute force standars) being Okri the winner, would still make the destroyer a legend for the dominion. Making his dream come true.

Deleted member 304046

D

Deleted member 304046

Sorry for posting in an older thread where there was no activity for quite some time. Just wanted share some thoughts regarding a certain Arkain character.

Lokar the Crusher:

Lokar the Crusher, the chieftain of the Ironthunder Clan, is a peculiar character to me and a one who drew my interest. Despite being a character from a major orc clan and included in the Character Sheet (indicating at least some degree of importance), Lokar and his clan, to me at least, never seemed to have a notable presence in comparison to the other orc characters and factions.

-He never appeared during the First Orc Book, unless the unnamed Ironthunder Clan Emissary, who appeared in Chapter 5 (Rise of the Deathbreeze) was intended to be him, but even then Skullblade, Goldaxe and Bloodhand Clans, despite their minimal role, were more pronounced.

-He only debuted during the Second Orc Book as a secondary supporting character, who was never playable, joined battles in Salria at a much later time than all of the other characters, and only fought alongside his own clan only once throughout the entire Second Orc Book (Chapter 3 – Wrath of the Darkmind, unless one counts Ironthunder Warlock units that appeared in the Secret Chapter, but they were a part of the general Tribal Dominion forces rather than any of the clans), as most of his appearences had him working with other clans (Cliffhunter Clan and Ravaging Fire Clan in the Secret Chapter) or the general Tribal Dominion forces.

-While he had a level-headed personality, realizing Rath's lunacy and leaving him to his destructive pursuits, taking the remnants of Darkmind Clan and Cyclops in the process, as well as realizing that attacking the Humans will give them more reasons to hate the orcs, unlike Rath and other "traditional" orcs, and was a reliable warrior for the Tribal Dominion, accepting Amari with no reservations and objections, other orc/Dominion characters and factions had more attention given them to them

-Perhaps a very trivial point, but Lokar's character biography in the Character Sheet Orc section is the second shortest. While Sasrogarn's character description is shorter, he is one of the main characters in orcish storyline and gets sufficient amount of attention.

-While in the True Story the players get to see Lokar the Crusher a little more, he and his clan, at least in my opinion, did not seem to receive the same type of focus that the Goldaxe Clan, the Skullblade and the Bloodhand Clan did. The quirks and personalities of the said clans got heavily pronounced and accentuated, while the characters from those factions (Hortnog, Gorthog, the Destroyer) got to play a notable role and interact with the main cast (Rangul, Vanessa, Grofzag, Sasrogarn), with their character traits showcased very well. While some information was given about the Ironthunder Clan, and Lokar did have interactions, albeit very brief, with some major characters (Rangul. the Destroyer, Zarin Hammerfall and Inara, as well as Rath, of course), it didn't feel like that there was this "emphasis" on him, in contrast with all the other clans (even the minor ones, such as the Blackrazor Clan) and their characters. Lokar's conversation with Brak Stormteacher at the end of "Bloodbath" chapter was the closest to Lokar truly being in the spotlight.

-The players never to got to see the former Ironthunder Clan chieftain and him being burned alive by an Imperial mage (implied to be Kenos Harran of the Phoenix Regiment, if I am not mistaken), with Lokar and his clan never truly achieving retribution against the said mage (it's very unlikely that they will, since Kenos, assuming he was that Imperial mage, will be facing off against Zairmak, and possibly Flammedus, in the future, not Lokar). Yes, Lokar doesn't seem to be someone who would seek vengeance, but it's sad that the previous Ironthunder chieftain suffered a humilliating fate and that his clan were never able to confront (and defeat) the one responsible.

-Lokar is one the very few orc characters, whose views on Vanessa and Rangul adopting her were not made explicit. Given what the players know of him, it can be assumed that Lokar was/is neutral towards Vanessa, but every single orcish character, who is the "face"of their respective clans (Rath, Zairmak, Gorthog, Hortnog, the Destroyer) had made their feelings in regards to Vanessa clear (Hortnog is friendly, while others range from skeptical to distrustful), making it odd that the Ironthunder Clan are the only ones of the major Orc clans who never said anything about/to Vanessa.

-The Ironthunder Clan is the only major clan, whose unique units (Neophyte and High Shaman) were not made available to the player (technically, the player can take control of them during the chapter "Bloodbath", using Saphira's Charm or Banshee's Possesion, but they were not controllable/trainable during the orc missions, thus they could not be accessed in "normal way"). This was also the case with the Ravaging Fire Clan, as the player could not control either the Apprentice unit or the Ravager unit (up until "Roars in the Forest chapter), but Zairmak is one of the major orc characters, and gets appropriate amount of screen time

Now, I must stress that I don't think that Lokar is a bad character or that he is treated disrespectfully. On the contary, I really like Lokar and he is a cool character. A reliable and competent warrior, who is also not a traditionalist or a short-sighted and murderous bufoon (like Rath), and also doesn't seem to hate the Humans. But I think he needs to be given more opportunities to shine and have the same kind of "boost" that the Goldaxe Clan, Gorthog, the Destroyer, and the Bearmen (to a degree) had in the True Story.

Some other musings I have about him:

1. I think Lokar could interact with Borean and the Koydoss Tribe, as both them and the Ironthunder Clan are in tune with the nature, thus they could find a common ground. A while back, I had an idea for an Arkain chapter, titled "Claws of Iron, Roars of Thunder", which would focus on Lokar and the Koydoss Clan. It would take place in the Second Orc Book, between chapters 11 and 12, though it would feature the Boar Regiment (that only appeared in the True Story) and the regiments would be portrayed in the same way as in the True Story. It would start with Lokar (along with Ironthunder Clan, the Darkmind survivors and the Cyclops) arriving at Salria and encountering the Koydoss Tribe and Borean. After their introductions to one another, Lokar would then notice a Bearman healing an orc with nature magic. After asking Borean, if the Bearman use nature magic, Lokar would tell about Ironthunder's connection with nature. After some lines of dialogue, the conversation could turn to Lokar's stance regarding the orcish tradtions and their old ways of pillaging and raiding, with Lokar understanding the folly of them. The chapter itself would focus on Lokar and Borean defeating the Boar Regiment, who were hunting the Bearmen for a long time. The chapter would end with Tarm Luthran being defeated, with him either asking for mercy or Lokar and Borean offering him to leave in peace, but in both of situations Tarm Luthram would try to have Lokar and Borean killed in an ambush, but, either due to quick-thinking on their part or because they had anticipated it, the warriors of Ironthunder Clan and the Koydoss Tribe would quickly kill the assailants, while Lokar and Borean would finish Tarm Luthran off. With both of their respective factions sharing things in common and working well together, Lokar and Borean would thank one another. Lokar would then leave to meet the rest of orc/Dominion leaders.

2. I also think that Lokar and the Ironthunder Clan could work well with King Gran Gorehowl and his Gnolls (they, along with Pechan, were part of the same battle group during the chapter "the Red Day", if I remember correctly), as both are honorable and are somewhat "aloof" and "distant" from the other orc clans and Dominion factions. Ironthunder Clan is described as preferring cooperation over confrontation, as well as willing to work together with the other clans against a common foes or for common goals, but many of their members are highly independent and unwilling to bend the knee (Ironthunder Clan's refusal to join Rangul without the fight could be an example of this), while Gnolls are noble and dependable, but they made it clear that they want to keep their independence and sovereignty, as well as to keep Gnoll Island as Gnoll only territory. I can see Lokar, Gran and their respective factions having a respect for one another, as both would have something in common. Having Lokar and the Ironthunder Clan interact with the Bearman and the Gnolls would also provide an opportunity to show how the orcs are interacting with their new allies and what kind of relations form between the orcs and other Dominion races.

3. While Ironthunder Clan is shamanistic, one thought that I had is that later on in the story they could get a new druid unit (perhaps the Bearmen could teach Ironthunder Clan members some of their magic, resulting in a new type of spellcaster for the clan). The unit itself could use the orcish variation of Druid of The Claw unit made by Ujimasa Hojo. Additionally, the presence of Ironthunder Warlock units in the Secret Chapter of the Second Orc Book indicates that some members of the clan practice a different kind of magics than the rest of the clan. Perhaps there is some sort of connection with Zairmak and the Ravaging Fire Clan. It could be a plot point in the True Story.

4. I think that one way in which Lokar could get a chance to shine would be for him to defeat a major human or undead character in the True Story. It could be Kenos Harran, General Aveen Elvir (assuming either of them would make it to the "Risen Resistance" chapter in the True Story) or Haran'tel-kazor (though I really like Haran and don't want him to lose to anyone).

5. From my perspective, both Lokar and Grofzag are somewhat similar to one another. They are one of the more calmer, rational and reasonable orcs, they do not seem to hate the Humans, they are not bloodthirsty, traditionalist and short-sighted. I could see them getting along well. Perhaps after the Second Void War, when Grofzag is chosen as the representative of the Orc Clans, Lokar could be his emmissary, messenger and/or right-hand man.

6. I also think that Lokar could have the Ironthunder Clan teach shamanistic arts to other races of the Dominion (maybe even the Humans). Additionally, in the story "Drums in the South" it was stated that some Ironthunder Clan suitors were trying to get closer to Amari. Perhaps Lokar could be shown to be frustrated by this, feeling that some of his brethren stray away from the disciplined life as a member of the Ironthunder Clan and instead focus on foppish and hopeless pursuits.

That would be it. I am sorry that this post might have been too long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 24
Why do the wolves obey Zoia?

I know she's very Gardon, in terms of brutality and violence, but I don't think it's just that. Does she have something in her blood that makes the wolves see her as one of them? Or is it like the loyalty of a dog to the master? It seems strange to me that a normal human commands a regiment of wolves and werewolves, only with violence (if that is the method).

Level 20
Why do the wolves obey Zoia?

I know she's very Gardon, in terms of brutality and violence, but I don't think it's just that. Does she have something in her blood that makes the wolves see her as one of them? Or is it like the loyalty of a dog to the master? It seems strange to me that a normal human commands a regiment of wolves and werewolves, only with violence (if that is the method).
If I'm not mistaken, most of the command chain of the Wolf regiment is actually human. I'm not sure but I think the Wolfguards (the helmet wearing knights of the regiment) are also human. As for why the werewolves obey them, when humans are transformed into werewolves they apparently lose all previous memories and are immediately indoctinated to serve the empire unquestionably. They seem to have near human intelligence so, in the end, they behave like any other army... except for a particular taste in raw meat.

Edit : As for the regular wolves, apparently the name "wolf regiment" predates the werewolf thing and they were known for taming wild wolves so they're apparently just pets.

Deleted member 304046

D

Deleted member 304046

Those who have read my posts in Arkain threads know that my favorite characters are those of Orcs/Tribal Dominion.

-The dark and vengeful bad girl Inara, who deserves, DESERVES to get her revenge on that stinking t*rd Zoia and her putrid Wolf Regiment excr*m*nt. If she does not get her rightful justice, I am swearing off Arkain for good and will never, ever play it again. Even my beloved Lisara could not convince me otherwise. Just joking, of course. Or I am? Anyway, Inara might actually be my top character of Arkain, perhaps more so than Amari. While Amari from the Second Orc Books is still one of my highest-ranking characters and that has not changed at all, Amari's counterpart in the True Story behaved questionably in the Exiles chapters and depending on how the story goes, I might regard her as one of the lesser characters, both in isolation and in comparison to Amari's iteration in the Second Orc Book. Perhaps Shar was correct by putting Amari (the True Story version at least) in the Neutral Evil alignment and Inara might be morally superior to her. Oh, and if circumstances were different, Inara and Lisara should have been best friends and lovers. Don't get me wrong, Lisara and Ornassion are an iconic pair, but having two dangerous, badass women loving each other is too much of an awesome opportunity to pass up. In addition, my personal opinion is that Inara should become the "mascot" and/or the "cover girl" for Legends of Arkain. If not her, then either Ornassion or Lady Meya. And please, no Gardon and the Ironfist. They have enough spotlight on them as it is.

-The genteel and educated philosopher Ishzog. Where is he, by the way? He'd better be in East Asia, studying ancient spiritual philosophies and martial arts of its nations, becoming super enlightened and spiritual fighter-guru, who could obliterate Duke Redfist just by one simple kick and break the entire Redfist faction just by talking. A single sermon of Iszhog could cause the entire Zyainor to fall in a matter of week, if not days. Maybe the mighty Borean is simply a misdirection, a distraction from the true Secret Weapon of the Dominion. No one would suspect some mad preacher from a minor, unimportant Orc Clan. Jokes aside (though they do have a grain of truth to them), I think Iszhog should become a Hero character with a new model (I can imagine him using World Shaman Thrall model, only changing the outfit colors to black). I am not sure what kind of Hero could Ishzog be. He doesn't seem to be a combatant, so he may simply be a support hero and actually unable to attack his opponents. If he does become a combatant, he could be of a Monk Class. We didn't have Monk heroes in Arkain, so it would be an opportunity to introduce one in form of Iszhog. I also see Iszhog as being the leader of Tribal Dominion, either as a spiritual guide or as a "power behind the throne", if the Destroyer or Rath would be the formal/official Emperors of the Dominion. The Destroyer or Rath would command fear and respect, but they would be more of warriors than diplomats, while Iszhog would serve as their advisor and councillor, holding actual political power and influencing decisions. If Arkain ever gets voice acting, Iszhog should get a Chinese accent, Brockta should have a British accent, the Destroyer and Gardon should have a German accent, Merlon should speak with a French accent and Largoth should sound like Quan Chi from Mortal Kombat. There should also be a short story about how and when Ishzog came in contact with Amari. The humans have a lot of short stories, yet the Orcs only have one. This should change.

-I have already talked about Lokar the Crusher in this thread a few months back, but it would be a crime not to mention him here. My opinions on him still stand. He deserves more spolitght, more attention, more feats (him defeating Aveen Elvir would be one of them), more everything. If I was able to make 3D renders and artwork of Arkain characters, my first priority would be to feature Lokar, Brak Stormteacher and Iszhog, while I also would like to pay my respects to Largoth (it is strange that neither Largoth, nor Lisara got any fan art in Fanmade of Arkain thread). Inara, Iszhog and Lokar the Crusher – my three great favorites. My trinity of primus inter pares, equal to Vanessa and Brockta. Underappreciated and overlooked by others in favor of the Destroyer, Duke Redfist and Gardon (the former two are fine, the latter...well, my opinion on him must be clear by now). For humans, not counting Vanessa, my triad is Logan, Cora and Praxeus. And for the Undead, Lord Margazar, Urshan, Haran'tel-Kazor and Sir Edoarus the Executioner is my personal Four.

I also can't forget the rough and tough Okri. She, along with Iszhog's following of cultured savages, is everything that the Orc society should have been. Rowdy, enjoying fighting and killing, yet not a mindless brute and having standards, as well as common sense, Okri is the perfect example of an ideal orc. Amari might be too different from others, Grofzag might be too silent and reserved, while Hortnog is too unorthodox and more prioritized with gold and profit rather than strength and honor, but Okri is just right. A punk, a brawler, a tomboy. Like Revy from Black Lagoon, and Korra, Toph Bei Fong and June from Avatar, while Iszhog's followers are comparable to Conan the Barbarian. A hot-blooded brawn and body to Lokar's mind, intellect, rationality and pragmatism, and Iszhog's heart, soul and spirit. Okri is someone who arm wrestles everyone and drinks beer. She is Amari's sword, while Grella is Amari's shield. Amari, Okri and Grella are an excellent female trio and I liked that the final cutscene of the last playable chapter in Second Orc Book showed only three of them together. They were for each other since the beginning and the campaign ended with three of them together. As friends and sisters. I think Okri should get more prominent feats. Perhaps she, rather than Grofzag, could be the one to cause the avalanche that buried the Bonelords. Maybe she could kill Orgen Bloodstone.

While they aren't the focus of this essay, it is imperative for me to say that Oneeye (underrated in my opinion), Grofzag and Hortnog (jolly and smiling uncle of Vanessa) are all fun and great characters. While I made it seem that I may like Grofzag less, that's not case at all. He deserves to be one of the primary orcish storyline characters and the representative of the entire Orckind, while his loyalty to Vanessa is what made him endearing to me in the first place. The thing is, I really like characters like Okri, Lokar, Inara, Iszhog and the racial leaders of Dominion (Brockta, Grella, Flammedus and others) and, naturally, I want them to achieve great and notable feats rather than just have Grofzag be the single character who gets to do anything important. It's not that I don't like Grofzag, not at all, it's more like that I enjoy certain other characters a lot and I wish for them to accomplish something. I remember Shar saying that he does not want to introduce too many characters at once and in the case of Dominion, that may make sense. If there are a lot of Dominion characters, it may be hard to juggle between the characters and give them appropriate amount of screentime and attention.

Pechan, Rangul and the Destroyer are all respectable characters and I have already talked about Rath Wolfscar after VastanX created and showed his drawing for him. There's also of course Rathman and Rathmobile, sometimes accompanied by Sasrobin or Vanessa. Given who he is based on, I wonder if Rathman could defeat the likes of Duke Redfist and Aridon if given enough preptime? And yeah, I am not letting that joke about Rath being a Batman-esque fighter go. Hey, I am having fun in Arkain threads and we are supposed to have fun when talking about Arkain.

While he crossed the Moral Event Horizon in the Hunt for the Riches chapter by being the one who was responsible for Amari's banishment (still find that chapter unpleasant and I'm quite sore that I forgot that Sasrogarn is younger than Amari, rather than the other way around, when I talked about Rangul's wife; I still wonder if Rangul's wife is dead or is she missing and may appear later) or when he killed Logan in the Second Orc Book (if the player chose that option), thus deserving of his death at Amari's hands, I'm fine with Sasrogarn and I don't dislike him like many other fans. I actually prefer Sasrogarn over Gardon, Ironfist and quite a number of Human, Dwarven and Elven characters. I know that this is simply my headcanon and it may not be even correct, but I sometimes think that if Rangul's wife was still around, perhaps Sasrogarn might have turned out at least slightly differently. Not saying that Rangul did not try to raise Sasrogarn as best as he can, but perhaps Sasrogarn's mother (being a female orc and probably having a different perspective on things than Rangul and many other male orcs) could have influenced him somewhat. If Sasrogarn's personality is somehow linked to a lack of mother in his life, it would be surprisingly tragic aspect in regards to him. It would not justify Sasrogarn's actions, but it would give him some semblance of pathos. He also did seem to genuinely love Vanessa as a sister and it is one of his few redeeming traits. I would go even as far as to say that if Rangul chose, or at least considered, Vanessa as his heir, Sasrogarn may have accepted her and would not have tried to sabotage her, like he did with Amari. The True Story does seem to downplay this trait, but it's somewhat there nonetheless. While he is not meant to be someone who should be seen in a positive light, I think making Sasrogarn into a complete jerk would be a bit of a misstep. Sir Lerrig, another character mocked for his incompetence, was presented in a somewhat sincere way as a knight who honestly tried to follow his duties, Lord Genethas seemed genuinely frustrated with the Empire and pointlessness of serving the Emperor, making him accept the pact with Ebira, and Zoia got a surprisingly touching moment with Aedale. While Sasrogarn is by no means a saint, he did not cross the lines that Genethas and Zoia did, who both got some nuance, and not giving him any sadness or tragic quality would be a disservice in my opinion. Maybe when he gets killed by Amari, he stares at Vanessa, dissapointed and sincerely hurt that she, out of everyone he knew, turned against him, while Vanessa would wonder if Sasrogarn was right and whether she could have done something to mend the wounds between her two siblings.

I could have talked a bit about Zairmak and Dogran, while also sharing my thoughts about Gorthog (originally, this essay was meant to be about him), but I got tired after writing the paragraph about Sasrogarn, yet I really wanted to express my opinions right now, so I decided to release this essay as it is. If I'll want it, I might talk about Zairmak, Dogran and Gorthog at a later time, but I make no promises.

Status
Not open for further replies.