• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Chaos Colossus 0.87d

The influences for this map were the Sunwell in warcraft lore, and the PS game Shadow of the Colossus.
I used them for the theme, overall ambiance and tried to recreate the impression of massiveness for the Colossi (since i was disappointed at the lack of such things in warcraft III).

CC2011_disdain5_shop_v3_cut.jpg

• The story

• The Holy Well is widely renowned for its blessed water, a source of great power.
      It stands in a shiny shrine built all around it for the sole purpose of protecting it.
      Kil'Jaeden the demon lord, though, has made plans to defile the Well.
      He has just sent an elite squadron of giant demonic golems, the only ones of his minions capable of dealing with such power.
      They are, The Colossi.

The Well senses the approach of the forces of Chaos. It has called upon four fearless and devoted lords, the mighty Defenders, to ensure its protection.
      What they didn't know, is that even in their worst nightmares, no humans had ever imagined such terrific menace.

That my friend, is where your story starts.

• The gameplay

• 2 sides: The forces of Chaos, against the people of the Holy Well.

• 10 players:
      -4 Defenders
      -The Well;
      -4 Colossi,
      -Kil'Jaeden.

• The Well is in the center of the map, surrounded by human towns and relic shrines covering almost all the land.

• The Colossi destroy everything on their way to the center (the Holy Shrine).
      Their goal is to cast a corrupting spell on the Holy Well, before the angels come to save the Well.
      That happens after 30 minutes and means ultra easy victory for the Humans.

• A Defender is no match for a Colossus 1 on 1, it's like David vs Goliath, but humans use their intellect, agile moves and cooperation to make each Colossus waste as much time and health as possible, even managing to kill them in the process sometimes.
      Destroying all the Colossi is the other way for Defenders to achieve victory.

• Each Defender can build portals to bring squads of fighters from friendly countries, and/or towers to setup smart defense positions. What and how you build is a decisive part of your strategic choices.
      Defender heroes can count on their individual skill for combat and limited holy powers to push back and counterattack the demons.

• The Holy Well is granted great holy power to cast spells accross the whole map, assisting the defenders and pushing back the enemy.

• Each Colossus is a tremendously powerful giant assault hero, able to crush many things and people at once with a mere punch. For example their normal attacks cause AoE stun and damage.
      They can summon various unholy creatures around themselves to maximize the onslaught.

• Kil'Jaeden, not physically present on the map, uses his exceptionnal magical powers to release hell on the humans. He can also assist his Colossus minions in various ways.
      His power allows him to summon stronger creatures than the Colossi can make, all around the map.

• Chaos players become exponentially stronger as they kill enemies and helpless innocents.

• Humans get increased possibilities and backup, as the reinforcements from friendly countries and even Heaven come closer.

• Features

• Movie-like atmosphere, with introduction, cutscenes, event coverage, ending and even more.

• Polished special FX: special attention and careful tweaking makes animations, visuals and the game's aesthetic in general really good looking.

• Custom GUI/JASS abilities, a whole lot of them.

• Many more heroskills per hero than warcraft normally allows, thanks to the exclusive
        Leveler system and other methods.
        For example, the Stygian Colossus has 17 skills (v0.73), not counting the summons.

• Exclusive evolution system for the Colossi. They can choose from a variety of even more deadly forms when they are judged worthy of it.
        Evolutions (08-10-2011): Arctic, Crystal, Flesh, Infernal, Shadow, Stygian Colossi.

• Simple yet extensive building system for the Defenders, allowing them to setup countless strategies to defeat the evil.
        Includes small/big, short/mid/long ranged, specialized towers; traps; walls; doors; special effects etc...

• Exclusive shiny Dome shield system protecting the Well and units around it, aswell as repelling any enemy.

• Custom summoning and troop gathering system allowing the Colossi and Kil'Jaeden to summon and manage their army fast and easily.

• Hero superiority: Only heroes and a select few exceptionnal units may finish a hero, other units can only make them extremely low hp, in an almost-disabled state.

• Many other specific exclusive systems adding to the uniqueness of the map, like the chaos atom auto-gathering or the tech points manager...

• Wisely used imported music, models, icons and more.

• Player-friendly. Much work done, and is still being done to make the player feel comfortable with handling his units; helpful texts, tips and informations tell you the solution of any trouble you could come accross.

• And even more.

*There is a special ending credits scene ingame for regular beta testers. It's my way to thank these very helpful players. Why not be one?

=== MUSIC ===
-to Clint Mansell for the awesome soundtrack Lux aeterna (Requiem for a dream) partially used and edited

=== MODELS ===
-to BlackShogun for the Ice Wave spell
-to Doug (clan Map) for help about the Dome antimagic JASS
-to Paladon for Telekinesis
-to Zack1996 for Diabolic edict, modified by me for MUI
-to donut3.5 for the Faerie model
-to Mephestrial for the wooden walls model
-to Misha for the Walls block model
-to pWn3d for the sunfire model
-to Shamanyouranus for the ShadowSpawn model and shadowbindtarget
-JetFangInferno for Grudgeaura
-takakenji for Lordaeron tree.
-Lord-T-rex for Tree.
-Suselishe for Elemental Fencer.
-alfredx_sotn for Chaos Spider.
-Dionesiist for Hellgaoler.
-Ampharos_222 for BoneCutter.
-Debode & shiik for Iniquit Overlord.
-to Dark Hunter1357, Iristle, JetFangInferno, kaycei, Ergius, low_kwality, Lestat(br), b17rider, Burning_Dragoon5, Pyritie for the unit models

=== ICONS ===
-to Mr.Goblin for the shadowspawm icon, Dead Coil.
-kola for SummonInferno
-CRAZYRUSSIAN for LeftBook, Green_ag_copy.
-4eNNightmare for Sanity's Eclipse, Magic Missile.
-Peekay for EnhanceBody, Mental Strength.
-Hellx-Magnus for Spectralhead.
-DArkfang for PiercingFeathers.
- -Stygian- for Mana Burn.
-L_Lawliet for Eruption.
-to BlackRockClan, leetslay, GreyArchon for icons.

(removed some screenshots to try and fix bandwidth problem)

introwelldomeshiny.jpg

infernalcrawlersatwell.jpg

crystalarchersatthewell.jpg

circleofflamestown2.jpg

townNE.jpg

stygiandeathscenemaguswithroar.jpg

introluxpillarbeamovercanyon.jpg

purpleblocus.jpg

stygianreaper.jpg

rainofchaos2.jpg

fleshmaggoting2.jpg

avatarnbluevsinfernalatrelicE.jpg

evilisnearmagusvsstygian.jpg

cavalr10.jpg

infern10.jpg

basic_10.jpg

wall_o11.jpg

wonder10.jpg

stygia10.jpg

defend10.jpg

crysta10.jpg

styg_a10.jpg

citade10.jpg

crysta11.jpg

rainoc10.jpg

human_10.jpg

infern11.jpg

blue_a10.jpg

red_an10.jpg

styg_o11.jpg

defend11.jpg

the_ho10.jpg

town_d10.jpg

teal_h10.jpg

well_s10.jpg

rain_o10.jpg

stygia11.jpg

rain_o11.jpg

line_o10.jpg

massiv10.jpg

holy_l10.jpg

Official forums:
Dj0zmaps.goodforum.net

*Protected map.

Map auto-hosted by "TealHaze " @Europe, US East and US West!
Do " /whois tealhaze " to know if a hosting is up, and the current gn, then join!

Keywords:
Chaos, Colossus, scenario, holy, unholy, demon, epic, war, battle, Well, Colossi, Kil'Jaeden, golem, infernal, giant, burning, legion, scourge, siege,
Contents

Chaos Colossus 0.87d (Map)

Reviews
10:57, 16th Dec 2009 ap0calypse: Approved
Level 12
I've read the descriprions and I find it interesting, though I don't like such type of maps.
And is there any weapons for humans to match their anamies?
You know, like a veeery big crossbow - human "mount" it and use, but cannot move until unmount.

I see, you mean ballistas? Atm there are other ways to pull that off, the humans can bring alot of troops from friendly countries through portals, and build towers and traps aswell.
Ballistas are a nice idea, i might use it later.

What do you mean by "such type of maps" by the way? I mean i can hardly give that map a "type" at all...

Level 6
I see, you mean ballistas? Atm there are other ways to pull that off, the humans can bring alot of troops from friendly countries through portals, and build towers and traps aswell.
Ballistas are a nice idea, i might use it later.

What do you mean by "such type of maps" by the way? I mean i can hardly give that map a "type" at all...
Well, I meant ballistas=)
I mean, I like AOS, Arenas and Survivals, and I cannot say that your map is any of these types=)
Anyway, good luck with the map=)

Level 12
Well, I meant ballistas=)
I mean, I like AOS, Arenas and Survivals, and I cannot say that your map is any of these types=)
Anyway, good luck with the map=)

Oh i see, mostly types of maps where you have just 1 hero basically (i'd recommend you to play as colossus in this then).
You know, you never really know if you'd like a map when you haven't played one that at least resembles it :p
Anyways thanks for the good luck :) .

Level 2
there are some bugs with the crystal collosus, if he has skillpoints and his images die or run out of time he loses the skillpoints, and at level 5 his images die when you summon them

Level 12
there are some bugs with the crystal collosus, if he has skillpoints and his images die or run out of time he loses the skillpoints, and at level 5 his images die when you summon them

The second bug you mentioned is known, it's apparently not due to the level of the spell, but to the level of the hull upgrade. For some unknown reason, if your hull is maxed (level 10), the images will instantly die when created.
I'll try to fix it in next version, if you have more information about this please let me know.

On the other hand, i never heard about that first bug you talked about, thanks for the report, i'll look into it.

Version 0.81 is released, by the way.

Level 1
I like the map
5/5
this map is great, i played it with Dj0s today and i had alot of fun, just add more evolutions and Summons then this map is perfectly

Level 12
Okay, major bug:
When I killed a Colossus (non-evolved, green), the interface went bugged, which ment that you could not see where you would be going to place a building, and had no tooltips...

This happens sometimes, randomly, without a reason.
It auto-fixes when another death scene happens, usually, though i know it's annoying.
I have no idea why this happens, so if you saved replay feel free to send it to me so i can see if i can get a clue.

Level 2
I tested another game and had the same issue there is no screen for good guys bad guys that shows up and the game doesn't play it just goes straight back to choosing a map.

Level 28
Have tried this, and it is awesome. Just a question or two, will this have an AI feature for both sides in later versions? Because as-is, there's no point in playing the defenders, and while it's extremely fun to carve out a swathe of death and destruction, a single Colossus can't destroy all the domes before the angels arrive.
Also, the terrain for the Colossi's landing area is flat and beyond ugly. Please fix this.
Few issues with the texts and icons:

* Zeus is misspelt as Zues.
* The Rain of Chaos icon is sunken, it looks like a passive ability.
* You left the names of the players in French (Joueur 1, 2 etc.).
* The Portal rally points don't work.
* The Granturismo's unload tooltip is weird, something about getting out of a house?
* Some of the destructibles (including trees) have to be selected to be attacked, rather than just right-clicking.
* The line about Heaven sending help should really read "The demonic horrors are going to be eradicated".
* For some reason, the music seems really faint. This is Lux Eterna we're dealing with, it deserves to be heard.

Last edited:
Level 12
Have tried this, and it is awesome. Just a question or two, will this have an AI feature for both sides in later versions? Because as-is, there's no point in playing the defenders, and while it's extremely fun to carve out a swathe of death and destruction, a single Colossus can't destroy all the domes before the angels arrive.
Also, the terrain for the Colossi's landing area is flat and beyond ugly. Please fix this.
Few issues with the texts and icons:

* Zeus is misspelt as Zues.
* The Rain of Chaos icon is sunken, it looks like a passive ability.
* You left the names of the players in French (Joueur 1, 2 etc.).
* The Portal rally points don't work.
* The Granturismo's unload tooltip is weird, something about getting out of a house?
* Some of the destructibles (including trees) have to be selected to be attacked, rather than just right-clicking.
* The line about Heaven sending help should really read "The demonic horrors are going to be eradicated".
* For some reason, the music seems really faint. This is Lux Eterna we're dealing with, it deserves to be heard.

Thanks for the review, let me answer your questions:
-AI will probably not be added anytime soon because i have no idea at all of how to pull that off, and this is not a project in which i accept co-workers (unlike Avatar) at least currently.
-Organized defenders with enough troops and towers can cause much harm to a Colossus and even destroy one. Their weakness is the big cooldown on their heal spell, that is the moment when defenders should charge them for the kill, with the Avatar of the Well's help for best results.
-I confirm that a Colossus alone cannot destroy all 12 pillars alone. I will probably add an auto-balancing removing the pillars in front of unused player slots.
-Terrain had just started to be improved, and it will get even better.

*I will fix all the typos and texts you have pointed out for next version.
*Same for the icon.
*About trees i guess i can code a spontaneous attack system since this is not a default W3 feature.
*About music: i wanted all the various ambient sounds to be able to be heard (waterfalls, animal sounds, special spell sounds and such), so i rebalanced all sound levels ingame. Also, music was very compressed to fit with bnet limits at the time i added it, reducing quality. Maybe now i can re-import it with better quality and make it play better.

Level 1
Awsome map i suggest making it a lil harder to evolve maybe 800 but other than that very well made map =D. I also suggest nerfing tercherous shadows because i found myself casting it on the light pillars from almsot halfway across the map and not needing to go near towns

Last edited:
Level 12
Awsome map i suggest making it a lil harder to evolve maybe 800 but other than that very well made map =D. I also suggest nerfing tercherous shadows because i found myself casting it on the light pillars from almsot halfway across the map and not needing to go near towns

Thanks for letting me know :)
Okay i will look into the evolution requirements. In the distant future there will be 2 tiers of evolutions btw.
About treacherous shades (is "shadows" better?), yes it is too powerful at the moment, especially since it wasn't suppsoed to be castable on pillars lol. I'll fix that.

Level 1
Worst map ever

Okay, seriously now: kicking someone for trying to skip the cinematic is just not something you should do in maps.
You can either choose to make the cinematic skippable and add a trigger for it, or choose that players have to watch it and then you just don't do anything.
If something says "Do NOT push the button!", guess what about 90% of the people's first reaction is? That's right, they push the button... and then get kicked.
Remove the trigger, it is pointless and stupid (and cinematics should be skippable if too long, it could ruin the game for some).

(edited by ap0: this is basically what he said, but more constructive and not too rude, since I do agree with him)

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 12
Oh wait, i hadn't thought about that create thing. That's right, when they're right-clicked the unit will attack it. Well either way, i'll do that.

David won the fight but it looked like he had no chance to win. Same thing here. It looks like the defenders have no chance, but in the end the Colossi are doomed like Goliath if they're not fast enough :) (even though here, the Colossi can actually win unlike Goliath.)

Level 28
Well, I suppose... but reading it really gives the impression that a defender can win in one-on-one (without building defenses). Ah well, not that important.

The aura-giving structures on the sides of the map don't become invulnerable after being defiled (and are therefore destroyed when the angels arrive), is that supposed to happen?

Level 12
Well no, a Defender alone building nothing cannot beat a Colossus.

About these structures, yea that was intentional. When Chaos corrupts something, that thing is tainted with evil forever, only destruction can cleanse it. About the invul, since Defenders cannot defile things, they get a chance to destroy it.

Level 12
The previous commenter was right, the Treacherous Shade ability is too strong (I managed to beat the game with it before the angel swarm, that's saying something).

Do the well's elementals respawn? I keep getting the impression that killing one makes no difference in their numbers...
He was indeed right, i'll take care of that soon.

The Well's water elementals spawn when a Colossus approaches the Well too close. This has a cooldown (can't be seen anywhere though) of about a minute or so. They're highly resistant to physical damage but you can get rid of them pretty fast if that's all that remains between you and the Well.

Level 12
Ah, I see. Kept getting stunned to oblivion by those things...

I also have an issue with the Jump&Crush move: If the damage isn't enough to kill them, you take damage, fair enough. However, using it on a Magus Citadel results in the tower taking no damage (but you do).

This is precisely their purpose, they stun you so you can't channel "Defile!" upon the Well. Other than that they're not very deadly.

Jump and Crush will actually damage Magus towers aswell, though you need to aim sufficiently in the center of them.
You will probably stay stuck inside the building it it didnt die, if the jump was performed correctly. That's because its a pretty large one.
It has alot of hp aswell, so i wouldn't jump into it unless i'm sure it will die from it.

If you took damage and it apparently didn't, make sure the Well hadn't casted Shield of Nobility, which gives infinite armor to humans for a short time (reducing Jump&Crush's damage, which is siege, to zero).

Level 28
Another terrain related one: Sometimes when Jumping to the main island from one of the Luxpillar islands, I get pusshed back into the moat. Is that supposed to happen?

Also, the southwest Colossus' landing point is underwater, so buildings must be built much closer to enemy territory, in tower range. Remember to fix that.

Level 12
Another terrain related one: Sometimes when Jumping to the main island from one of the Luxpillar islands, I get pusshed back into the moat. Is that supposed to happen?

Also, the southwest Colossus' landing point is underwater, so buildings must be built much closer to enemy territory, in tower range. Remember to fix that.

-Yes, that happens when the Dome shield has not been destroyed yet. One of its features is to push back chaos units (killing them instantly except Colossi), that's why you need to destroy the Luxpillars first.

-This will be fixed.

Level 28
Tried the defenders again:

* Some heroes' names are still in French (Gavinrad)
* As far as I can tell, the relic auras come in only when you've built the statue and the arch, is that right? You might want to say something about that in the Quest log.
* The tooltip for agility is bizarre, saying it takes -2147483648 points to increase armor by 1.
* There's a hole in the eastern wall of the southern top-left-corner village, level with the two pines. (There's another hole in the southern wall of the northern bottom-right-corner village, but it leads straight to the water anyway.)
* The portal's description says you can get women and civilians from them.
* Also, the squads have no foodcost, yet on reaching the limit (not sure how much), the message tells you to kill a squad or build more portals (which themselves cost food). Killing a squad doesn't lower the number (as they cost no food).

More as I find them.

Last edited:
Level 12
-"Gavinrad"? Well if you say so.
-I don't get what you mean there... The Relics are supposed to give auras to the humans since start. They only lose them if Chaos forces defile the relics. Wonders are not required for effect.
-That is a w3 graphic bug. It simply means that agi doesnt increase armor.
-I will fix that;
-That too;
-Killing a squad (actually you should just let it die fighting a Colossus) is suppsoed to decrease the amount of squads you're currently using, not directly your food.
This sometimes bugs a little, counting you more squads alive than you actually have.
But i'll recode it better and make it bug-free.

Thanks for the details as usual :)

Level 12
* As in, his name shows up as "Gavinrad le Solide".
* About the squads: Is there any way to keep track of how many you have (since food is for portals), or did I miss that?

-Oh indeed then.
-Well yes, each Portal allows 2 squads, and the counter is global. So you just multiply your amount of portals by 2. And you could get all squads from the same portal (and none from the others) because of the counter being global.

Level 8
One of the best maps...ever! I almost completed it in Single Player, but the Well was too powerful for my Colossus. Anyways, 10000000000000000000000/5! :D

Edit: Nvm, took my revenge and won (after one thousands of years of trying to). :grin:

Last edited:
Level 6
Hmm Strange this has gone unoticed but the crystal colossus' charm ability works on the angels of the well making it impossible for the defenders to win if anyone evolved to crystal colossus. Also I found that if the defenders all team up on each golem individually they can win in under 10 min >.<

Level 12
I will check that out. It should be an easy fix, but i won't be able to upload a new version of the map before a couple weeks probably.

As for the defenders teaming up on one colossus, in that case he should runaway to the nearest allied Colossus, and said Colossus better go help him aswell. You beat teaming up, by teaming up.

Level 12
Yet another awesome map by you :)

Thanks dude :) and guess what...
It's being revived too, just like i did with Avatar, and the revival is around 70% done as of today!

The revival version is faster, more dynamic, much simpler, has Way prettier terrain, many new cool models and icons, some bugs are fixed, new units, specialized colossus summons that are now specific to your eolved colossus, and more.
I might increase quality of the soundtrack aswell since bnet map size was increased to 8mb in the meantime.

Stay tuned!

Level 12
Hooray!

Will there be other colossi to play as?

Nice to see around again :) There won't be new colossi in the first revival version, but shortly after yeah.
In this revival version however, Colossi start out faster and easier to handle, and when they evolve, their summons will be specific to their colossus type, making your evolution choice even more important, with more specialized outcomes.
I have already made 2 evolved summons for both Crystal and Infernal, and they're really cool. I'll finish the others tomorrow, and probably release the map.

EDIT: Does anyone have trouble seeing the map in the map list, or playing it?

Last edited:
Level 2
Will there any upgrade for kil'jaeden? (improve mana regen, improve cooldown, improve dam/cast time, etc...)

Because i think kil'jaeden only buff/pool for colossi, that was waste.

P/s: in WoW lore (warcraft): Kil'jaeden is the Deceiver not Defiler, the Defiler is archimonde.
sr about my bad english :D

Last edited: