• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Chaos Champions RPG: II

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.
Gray_Fox Presents

CHAOS CHAMPIONS RPG II
-v1.1-
---Elderroot Grove---

Map Info:

Elderroot Grove is the second map in my Chaos Champions series
which is a single player Dungeon Crawler RPG map inspired by the likes of
Diablo, Gauntlet, Dark Souls. Select your Champion from a selection of
18 custom heroes with unique abilities. Explore, slay enemies, collect loot,
discover treasures and defeat powerful Bosses.

Story:

Somewhere in the forests of Ashenvale lies an ancient grove, a place of great importance to the Druids
and a haven of tranquility. An ominous gloom has befallen this once sacred Grove however.
As both the wildlife and their protectors turn on one another,
Champions from across the Nether must once again rise up to challenge fate!

New Features:

-6 New Heroes have joined the ranks.
-New Hotkey functionality has been added. Use items and change camera angles with arrow keys.
-New commands have been added. Instantly sending items to storage and more.
-New Item Type : Consumables, granting temporary benefits at will.
-Be on the lookout for Rare creatures!

New in Version 1.1

-A Backpack system has been added. Deposit items from your Hero directly to your backpack and from there to your Storage.
Includes filters for specific types of loot.

-New Secrets have been added.

-New Difficulty : The Gauntlet
This is a new challenge mode for only the most seasoned of Champions! While your Health is constantly lowering and
Healthstone usage is limited, you must move quickly, grabbing food, other items and use abilities to stay alive! Collect
special
Items which grant an increase to your Max HP in order to extend your lifespan.

-Perma-death. Only 1 Life.
-Health constantly being drained.
-Healthstones only recharge after a
Boss.

-EXP is Doubled.
-Boss Rewards are Doubled.
-Movement Speed is increased.
-Special Items have appeared which increase your max HP.

Screenshots:

221334-67a0b524cd91730fb96d729dbe255691.png

221348-13733dbaa7036f2273287fa12a51a06d.png

221306-71170529591c67080f38ce60ac6c7768.png

221302-0adab546525d6d018573a8016aad8cac.png

221304-676465ac850bd35a610b3dfd952c83ee.png

221309-f52e9b4de7734420d9b5fce595079796.png

221641-50f6c879470fd16591099a8f4fddc2d5.png

221311-9530195289e5b5d0576a0ae60f519bae.png

221312-67e88948c83f01ce50dff8e3ce03bbcb.png

221319-fb8eb05fb96750ba62d5dd64501983ca.png

221640-701545714124b4397df98dc620dddf36.png

Video Walkthrough:
Special thanks to WTiiWarcraft!

Change Log:

• Release Version

• Added a Backpack system for easier inventory management.
  • A new Difficulty has been added: The Gauntlet, intented for only the bravest of Champions!
  • New secrets have been added.
  • The Classic Camera style has been re-added.
  • All Hydra Heads have had their attack range increased.
  • Scrolls of Protection have had their Defense Bonus increased.
  • Leveling up now refills your Health.
  • The 1st Healthstone Shard has been moved to the Furbolg Village.
  • Various Bug fixes and balance tweaks.

Credits:

Special Thanks to the following people:
  • Kacpa2 - Classic Jaina Improved
  • Kenathorn - Icons to Models Pack
  • The_Silent - Pie Item
  • Hexus - Fountain, Stone Arc (NE Decorations)
  • VinZ - Tidal Burst, Crimson Soulbeam, Cannonball, Crimson Flamestrike, Reaper's Claws
  • General Frank - Orb of Dragons
  • Buster - Ruinhead, Ruinhand
  • WILL THE ALLMIGHTY - Nuclear Explosion
  • teebling - WoW Icons Pack
  • Pelsen - Dragon Loading Screen
  • Heinvers - Twisted Protector
  • Dionesiist - Satyr Skin
  • crl - Blood Plague Cloud
  • D.O.G. - Ashenvale Golem
  • johnwar - Gnoll Treasure Hunter
  • Tr!KzZ - Gold Coins Item
  • D4RK_G4ND4LF - Dark Vortex
  • dhguardianes - Lightning Nova
  • Grendel - Parasite Worm, Charred Ancient
  • frostwhisper - Grasping Tentacle, Multi-Tier Hydra
  • Mechanical Man - Proudmoore with pistol
  • MatiS - Ruined Highborne Tower
  • HappyCockroach - Spirit of Elders model
  • Donut 3.5 - Faerie model
  • theJ89 - Jetpack model
  • MiniMage - Goblin Tinker Turret
  • hate - Bone Guard
  • Tarrasque - Naga Medusa
  • kobas - Map Description Template
  • Konstantin Turovec - Loading Screen/ Preview picture Artwork

Author's notes:

Check out the previous Chaos Champions here:
Chaos Champions: Blightheart Hold
Chaos Champions III: Khor'gul Badlands

For feedback, suggestions, bugs, message me or leave a comment.
Thank you for checking out / playing my map!

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Contents

Chaos Champions II (Map)

Level 22
Well, what I can say… It was a nice contuniation map with new heroes to play and new challenging bosses to be defeated.
But in first I want to share my bugs or some strange situations, which are occured in my walkthrough.
  • First of all, I've tried to play on Hard & Normal, but restarted 3 times in a row and my most successful try was on "Easy" difficulty as Death Knight.
  • Cinder Treant boss seems to be bugged, because I'm killing Living Flames for 5 minutes and he doesn't want to consume them (as I saw it in map triggers, srry :D). So I don't fully finished map due to this bug;
  • Hydra Boss wasn't hard - I don't get proposement of 2 different poisons, and does Toxin really kills? Also strange that hydra heads can't attack you at once, so you can easily kill them one by one, while others head (expect main) doesn't do anything;
  • Druid/Statue boss… Well, before Cinder Treant, he was my most hard enemy on map - constantly teleporting, slowly yet steady healing and so-on. But I managed to defeat him and… Saw another boss with 2 new mechanics to come out. Well, that was unexpected, but on second try I managed to defeat them both;
  • Golem boss isn't hard, it's good example of first boss - not hard, but not too easy.
  • Other enemies? Well, my "Death Coil" was quickly annihilate anyone on my sight, so I spammed button 24/7;
  • Why I can't have a vertical "from bird perspective" camera?
For me map was nice, but some boss bugs (or I'm dumb) was frustruating for me.
In other things I don't listed I can say only "good" - items are nice, spells are pretty and whole atmosphere is great!
Also I want to share with you my latest walkthrough reply and 1 screenshot with strange purple thing in left map corner.

GJ, anyway!

Attachments

• Purple in left corner.png
    Purple in left corner.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 51
  • ChaosChampionII.w3g
    456.2 KB · Views: 16
Level 10
Well, what I can say… It was a nice contuniation map with new heroes to play and new challenging bosses to be defeated.
But in first I want to share my bugs or some strange situations, which are occured in my walkthrough.
  • First of all, I've tried to play on Hard & Normal, but restarted 3 times in a row and my most successful try was on "Easy" difficulty as Death Knight.
  • Cinder Treant boss seems to be bugged, because I'm killing Living Flames for 5 minutes and he doesn't want to consume them (as I saw it in map triggers, srry :D). So I don't fully finished map due to this bug;
  • Hydra Boss wasn't hard - I don't get proposement of 2 different poisons, and does Toxin really kills? Also strange that hydra heads can't attack you at once, so you can easily kill them one by one, while others head (expect main) doesn't do anything;
  • Druid/Statue boss… Well, before Cinder Treant, he was my most hard enemy on map - constantly teleporting, slowly yet steady healing and so-on. But I managed to defeat him and… Saw another boss with 2 new mechanics to come out. Well, that was unexpected, but on second try I managed to defeat them both;
  • Golem boss isn't hard, it's good example of first boss - not hard, but not too easy.
  • Other enemies? Well, my "Death Coil" was quickly annihilate anyone on my sight, so I spammed button 24/7;
  • Why I can't have a vertical "from bird perspective" camera?
For me map was nice, but some boss bugs (or I'm dumb) was frustruating for me.
In other things I don't listed I can say only "good" - items are nice, spells are pretty and whole atmosphere is great!
Also I want to share with you my latest walkthrough reply and 1 screenshot with strange purple thing in left map corner.

GJ, anyway!

I have updated the map with a quick hotfix to the Flame Boss, very dumb oversight on my part and I'm very sorry to you and anyone who encountered the bug! It should be fixed now however.

I've also re-added the Classic cam style, it is now under chat commands as -cam5 or -c5
( or were you looking for something like a top down camera? I can add that aswell )

I will continue to work on the next update with your feedback in consideration, thank you very much for playing and giving me the feedback, it helps alot! :thumbs_up:

( Also removed that purple skybox in the corner that you mentioned )

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
  1. A bit annoying the Potion of Speed is green like the one of health in Warcraft III while the healthstone is still green. It creates a bit of confusion until you get used to it.
  2. Would be nice for the Magic Depository to have a sell all ability.
  3. Hero selected during the scene where the statue comes out from the altar of elders.
  4. The stones don't get restored after you beat the druid of the talon boss; while you fight the golden statue boss you have only the remaining stones.
  5. Not sure if intended but you can reach the level 11th dragonspawns through the forest right of the furbolg before having to kill the statue boss.
  6. The stones did not restore even after defeating the statue.
  7. One of the zombies south of the fairy dragons was at half HP; the water serpents west of the dragon fairies suddenly died when I approached them.
  8. Ringblade of Elder Warden looks the same with that of Vengeance.
  9. I suddenly died fighting the ancient protector.
  10. You can go through the big roots. Looks a bit weird. Maybe put them higher so you'd go under them.
  11. Are the satyrs supposed to be sleeping?
  12. Roots of Evil is too annoying and time consuming to beat; the wisps can't be killed before they reach it so it regenerates; on top of that, you can't all the time try stopping the wisps because the boss casts spells continuously that you have to dodge.
  13. And that satyr boss... don't even wanna comment; it's stone after stone use or die. If you're near him, he casts the red bubbling stuff and you gotta move around; it also slows; if you move away from him, he strikes lightning on you.
Approved.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Wazzz
Alexen
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 10
  1. A bit annoying the Potion of Speed is green like the one of health in Warcraft III while the healthstone is still green. It creates a bit of confusion until you get used to it.
  2. Would be nice for the Magic Depository to have a sell all ability.
  3. Hero selected during the scene where the statue comes out from the altar of elders.
  4. The stones don't get restored after you beat the druid of the talon boss; while you fight the golden statue boss you have only the remaining stones.
  5. Not sure if intended but you can reach the level 11th dragonspawns through the forest right of the furbolg before having to kill the statue boss.
  6. The stones did not restore even after defeating the statue.
  7. One of the zombies south of the fairy dragons was at half HP; the water serpents west of the dragon fairies suddenly died when I approached them.
  8. Ringblade of Elder Warden looks the same with that of Vengeance.
  9. I suddenly died fighting the ancient protector.
  10. You can go through the big roots. Looks a bit weird. Maybe put them higher so you'd go under them.
  11. Are the satyrs supposed to be sleeping?
  12. Roots of Evil is too annoying and time consuming to beat; the wisps can't be killed before they reach it so it regenerates; on top of that, you can't all the time try stopping the wisps because the boss casts spells continuously that you have to dodge.
  13. And that satyr boss... don't even wanna comment; it's stone after stone use or die. If you're near him, he casts the red bubbling stuff and you gotta move around; it also slows; if you move away from him, he strikes lightning on you.
Approved.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Wazzz
Alexen
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Thank you for the review and approval! :thumbs_up:

Some of the things like the hidden forest shortcut, dying hydras, half-health zombie are indeed intended.
Healthstones never recharge after a boss, with Roots being the one exception as he drops a Recharge item.
I'll definitely look into a sell option for the storage.
Balance tweaking and the other things you mentioned I'll look into and take into consideration for the next update.

Thanks again for the review and feedback, its always helpful and appreciated :)

Level 1
For whatever reason Wc3 crashes immediately after killing all side hydras during the boss fight. As soon as I attack at the 2 large heads in the middle, game just closes without so much as a crash report. This happened 4 times and i cant finish the map as a result.

If it helps, I used the dwarven gunner, playing on hard.

EDIT: I did a "whosyourdaddy" speedrun with phoenix knight to the hydra and i saw a third big hydra head. I was able to kill the boss without the crash. Seems to be something unique to the dwarf then?

Last edited:
Level 12
Hello again! I finished playing this map, on chaos and gauntlet difficulty and i can say with absolute confidence that you outdid yourself, this is a big step up from the first map, i am impressed! :thumbs_up:
I played on version 1.26 of War3.

I finished the map two times, first time with the Shaman hero on Chaos then with the vampire hero on the "Gauntlet Mode"

I didn't think i would love the gauntlet mode based on the preview, hp going down constantly sounded insane, but once i gave it a shot i ended up enjoying it much more than the normal mode lol :grin: it isn't actualy that much harder, i would go to say is kinda easier than the normal mode, with the increased xp rate and extra hp.

Shaman pic
save.png
Vampire pic
vamp save.png

~Positives

- Even tho all heroes start with the same basic Q spell (that does the same thing), the spell itself is unique to each hero, and their other spells are also unique and have their own theme linked to each hero, loved that.

- Also liked how even the healthstone changes, becoming ghostly for the heroes that have necromantic powers, neat!

- The Boss fights are amazing, all of them are unique and are difficult in their own ways, really well done! :thumbs_up:
The Last boss especially, "Sauvix" was a beast to fight agaisnt, one of the best boss fights i've ever seen, great job with that one!:grin:

- Bosses having badass voicelines, yes baby! my favorite ones must be the one from the last boss tree "The Roots of Evil" with the line "Is time we get to the root of the problem" :xxd: classic!

Also all the lines from Sauvix the Prince of Nightmares, so many voice lines with nightmares, they were really well done, they fit so well with the character and in the war3 style, I wonder, did you make them yourself? or they are from some other game/movie? just curious.

- The terrain goes without saying is gorgeous!

- The creeps were fun to fight, i liked how those dryads had voice lines as well.

- I loved the extra/rare creeps and bosses, like the gnoll guy that you can find in a random cage and of course the whole quest line with the Warden, that was fantastic! :cute:

~Negatives/Bugs

- Loading from a save breaks the music, there is no music anymore after loading, is just silence, until you get to a boss fight or some cinematic/event i think, then it starts again.
This might also be happening for all custom campaigns tho, might be from the game itself.

- I feel like the silver cages don't give valuable items, best they can give are a few coins, some hp/mp pots and 1 xp scroll, it feels kinda lackluster to be honest, i feel like the silver cages should give more valuable drops, like tomes and even permanent items, since we need the silver keys to even open them. (they are a big part of the gameplay, so they should feel like they have more value)

- Potion of Vigor lasts only 30 seconds instead of 2 minutes like it says in the tooltip.

- The cinematics don't work, instead of seeing the cinematic, i only see my normal view with the hero, not sure if thats intended or not, for example here:
Same thing happens with the other cinematic.

- In my first game with the shaman, after i killed the last boss and got teleported to the furbolg camp, i noticed a flying pink sheep, i clicked on her and she dropped some scrolls, they said something about getting back to the portal at the beginning of the map, at first i thought you could actually go to the portal with the hero, but i couldn't, there is no way to get back there.

So I guess this is just a tip for the secret portal where you enter with the horse and get to the secret special skins building.

~Suggestions

- I wish there were more extra secret creeps on the map like the wolf mini boss and the gnoll guy from the cages, how about with each extra difficulty increase you get more rare/extra/secret mobs and mini bosses on the map? i think that would be fun.

- I wish there were more items on the map that drop from mobs/cages/minibosses, there just seems to be very few items in total on the whole map.
As you can see from both pictures of the heroes, they almost have the same items, cuz they are the only item drops to begin with :gg:
(i know there can drop a few items at the start like rings that give +50 mana, but thats it, i am talking about strong items like the ones that bosses drop)

So yea, that's it, i had a lot of fun with this map, thanks for making such a great game, i can see you are very talented, maybe in the future there will be a Chaos Champions III? :wink: who knows, I hope you the best in your future endeavours!

My rating for this map is an S Tier with 99 points out of 100!

P.S. Right when i thought i was finished with the map i did 1 last restart and i noticed i can control the horse at the beginning, then i kept playing with the horse and made him walk through the portal, and my mind was blown when he actually got teleported into another place lol, when i saw that secret summoning stone i was like, god damn, even more heroes? that is insane, but then i started reading and i saw ... oh... they were just different skins for the other heroes, haha :xxd: , still tho, thats a neat secret right there, i don't think most people would even notice it when playing this map, well i'm glad i did, things like this show how much potential there is with war3 maps, i loved it!

Level 2
For whatever reason Wc3 crashes immediately after killing all side hydras during the boss fight. As soon as I attack at the 2 large heads in the middle, game just closes without so much as a crash report. This happened 4 times and i cant finish the map as a result.

If it helps, I used the dwarven gunner, playing on hard.

EDIT: I did a "whosyourdaddy" speedrun with phoenix knight to the hydra and i saw a third big hydra head. I was able to kill the boss without the crash. Seems to be something unique to the dwarf then?
I just encountered exactly the same bug with the exact same circumstances

EDIT:
Okay, I have a clue as to why this might be happening.

It has just crashed for my with the firebat character on Gauntlet difficulty. It will crash after killing lesser heads if you killed the first moster head before the fight starts.

So to avoid this bug, go and trigger the fight before killing any monsters in this encounter

Last edited:
Level 13
My consciousness only touches the surface of these types of games so I can't say much. Good job and nice leisure activity as the first part. The length of the last 2 fights is getting to me more.

Level 1
Hey! I just finished your first campaign (Great work on it btw, it was super fun) and I started playing this one.
I had an issue with one of the new classes you added in, the Dreadlord. I tried Normal difficulty and the first boss seems impossible, given the fact that the dreadlord is fully melee with his Q with absolutely 0 ranged options. I just couldnt damage him from a far with Q, and his autoattacks simply destroy you even if you dodge his slam ability. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong here...?