• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Can your computer stand Sc2?

Can your computer stand Sc2?

• Yes

Votes: 102 58.6%
  • Barely

Votes: 50 28.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • I DON'T HAVE MONEY TO BUY IT!

Votes: 14 8.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Well its awesome on Windows 7.
Boy I love it so much.
Brings back so many good memories I had with the fist Starcraft.

Level 16
2.0 Dual core Processor (AMD)
3 GB RAM,
AIT HD 4200 Radeon (512 MB if I'm right)
Windows 7.

When nothing but AVG runs (which is silent, no scans), I get approximately 20-40 fps. I play on Medium-Low settings (some things medium, some low).. I hate my laptop..

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
There is no need to hate the laptop for performance like that. Afterall they are designed for energy efficency and battery life rather than performance. It would be very easy to make one cheaply that lasts on battery for 1 minute and catches fire a minute after that due to overheating but that would be impracticle. Atleast it runs the game playably, I am sure another portable device like an Ipad or netbook would not which is worse.

SC2 runs at ultra on 1680*1050 with no FPS dips on this hardware configuration as well.
Nvidia geforce 460 GT
Intel I5 3.2 GHZ
4 GB DDR3 RAM

The 460 is a seriously good card it seems, especially since it is fully DX11 complient and has as more connections than some TVs.

Level 21
my current pc is dual core 3 gigahertz with 4 gigabytes of ram plus a good graphics card. though it have weakened due to heavy diablo 2 playing.(that game is bad for the processor. i have a pc that was so badly damaged by that that it doesnt run windows without hyper threading.)

Level 1
at the moment everything on low and still some lag in big maps and big fights :'(
but i am upgrading my graphics card soon how well do u think it would run on this:

Amd Athlon 2.8 processor(single core)
2gb of ram
XFX Radeon HD 4770

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Mostly low with lots of lag on big maps and fights... (no difference at all with that respect).

You will however be able to ultra textures and other graphic card intensive stuff if the 4770 is any kind of decent card. That is if your RAM permits it.

You really need a new PC more than a new graphic card. That single core is really slow and does not allow SC2 to take advantage of multi threading. Let us not forget that it probably has less cache than your average dual core or quad core. Also if you are not using vista or 7, you can not take advantage of DirectX 11 which is more efficent than DirectX 9 on that card.

SC2 is heavilly CPU demanding, most poor performance is rather your CPU than the GPU.

i can play meduim to ultra, it realy depends on what i'm playing. IE 1 million zealots i can play on meduim till they get OP and then i still get 25 - 30 fps.
On melee games i can play on high most of the time, getting 40 - 50 fps, until theres a massive fight that drops to 25 - 30 fps.
Edit: i choose not to play ultra cause theres realy no differen between high and ultra
My comp specs;
NVIDIA GeForce 310m ( laptop version of normal gpu ) with 512mb vram
Cuda Enabled.

Pentuim R Dual Core T4400 at 2.2GHZ

4gb ddr3 ram

Windows 7, 64bit

AND YES FOR ONLY 800 BUCKS XD
ASUS FTW >:p alienware and dell BURN :D

Level 22
Anyone gets Aurora Borealis? (very rarely but lol, also no vid memory problems here, yes Im with ATI)

139730-albums4171-picture41594.jpg

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
As long as you got enough memory, you can ultra textures no problem. The only time ultra textures is a problem is if you barly have enough memory (and thus other options like extra shaders cause you to run out and have to use extreemly slow main memory to cope).

Level 6
Not so High, not so Low...The shaders are the greatest problem...if I do set the shaders on Medium, it goes down to 15-20 fps, so the shaders on low(and all linked to it on low cuz they autoset) and everything that can be set on ultra be on ultra, it is kinnda good...I can run it...In big fights it goes down to 25 fps, and the rest of the time it is on 35-40 fps...Pretty decent!

PC:
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+ (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Video: ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series 512MB
(idk why on dxdiag it shows Approx. Total Memory 1914MB!:|..but trust me it is 512MB)
Current Display Mode: 1440x900(32bit) (60Hz)

Attachments

• SC2 2011-03-09 14-45-14-87.jpg
    SC2 2011-03-09 14-45-14-87.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 134

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Having shaders on low is basically running the game on low. Even if you set everything else to ultra that you can, the shaders have such a big impact on the visuals of them game you are as good as running it on low compared to someone running with only ultra shaders.

The problem is almost garunteed to be your graphic card. Its an old budget range card and is not suitable for high performance modern games.

(idk why on dxdiag it shows Approx. Total Memory 1914MB!:|..but trust me it is 512MB)
Its called the graphic card can use normal main memory if it gets full. Ofcourse this causes major interface bottleknecks to occur and is like a few dozen times slower (probably 100s of times slower realistically) than the graphic card memory so it is near usless in practice but will prevent a crash during those 1-2 frames that for some reason need a lot of memory. My 700 MB 275GTX has 3.7 GB memory available to it but obviously 3 GB of that will come from my main memory (6GB).

Level 21
Yes it can, and with my HD monitor, I'm running on 2048x1152 and running ultra and high on the setting, in which is great.
Haven't had any problems lately, and I'm sure I have x64 on my computer, because I have x86 on my computer.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
and I'm sure I have x64 on my computer, because I have x86 on my computer.
You do not understand anything about instruction sets...

All modern opperating systems use and support x86, weather Windows 98 (OLD) or windows 7 32 and 64 (new). It is the standard CISC language that intel and various people (AMD for some of the modern extensions) designed over decades.

Nearly all processors made nowdays support 64 bit opperation. In the case of those from intel they have 4 basic modes. 2 of these are survearly depricated (16 bit mode for example) which never see public use (no 16 bit comercial OS) while another is conventional 32 bit protected mode (currently used by most home PCs). The final mode is 64 bit mode which features 2 sub modes. These are compatibility mode, which is used to run 32 bit protected mode software (why you can run SC2 on 64 bit OS) and 64 bit mode (superior, faster, better but not widly used eg SC2 has no 64 bit build yet).

To further help compatibility of 32 bit programs on windows vista and 7 64 bit builds, WoW64 (Windows 32 on Windows 64) is used and provides a nearly complete set of 32 bit compiled system files and additional support software to allow nearly every 32 bit game to work on 64 bit vista / 7.

Infact, the only known compatibility problems vista and 7 64 bit have are with drivers for hardware due to the change in word size (bits are not aligned properly) which is not covered by WoW64 due to it being impossible to efficiently and reliably.

Having a 64 bit OS installation is nothing nowdays. I infact strongly recommend all future computers people buy should have a 64 bit OS as that is the only way to make it main stream enough that all software comes with 64 bit builds. A 64 bit build SC2 for example would potentially be superiour to its current 32 bit build as it could allow for additional optimizations (faster) only possible with 64 bit instructions and word size.

Level 6
@Dr Super Good thanks for explanation...Yes the shaders do have that big impact above the graphics as well as the perfomance!....But, I am glad that the game can run decently from performace's point of view...I don't need graphics, I need performance, cuz I don't cast or anything, I just play the game, and the performance must be smooth. I watched some streams, and even the pros do have their graphics set to low for better performance!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I watched some streams, and even the pros do have their graphics set to low for better performance!

Umm... That is because they are streaming?

Streaming is extreemly demanding to do and so eats FPS like crazy. Inorder for them to play without it impacting their game they need to run at lower settings. I am sure though that at all major events and all their replays do get uploaded at full ultra quality.

Level 6
As far as I know, when a replay is watched, it sets on the watcher's graphics...For example, if I upload a replay on low, other players can watch my replay on ultra, and vice-versa. Just as the casters do...They have their replays on ultra settings...and maybe they are uploaded from a low graphic settings!
So we never know, maybe in the little events, when they play from their own pc, they play on low, or maybe they have a Jet PC and they play on ultra...depends on everyone's preferinces.

Level 21
Well I'm running the game at the highest quality and nothing is going wrong, but still I'm kinda annoyed that people are forsaking Warcraft for it though. MEH....

Status
Not open for further replies.