1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Can there be peace without war?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Malufa, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    i don't say the "under God" part because it wasn't in the original pledge of allegiance, exactly like MSBB said.

lol okay but you know what? america is becoming a WASP nation of pussies (see my rant about hardcore secular-progressives) who strive for equality.

in fact, the KKK still hates catholics. i've said that before, in the religion in the future? thread.

during WWII. during times of crisis, (poverty, war, etc.) rights have an enormous tendency to be trampled on. america isn't the only country that's violated rights with poorly based reasons.

YOU don't seem to knoew that that blemish was shared by almost the entire freaking western world. america just happened to do it the longest.

yes. HARDCORE SECULAR-PROGRESSIVES.

QFT

actually, some tyrants may force religions on their subjects

again, QFT

please don't make up statistics:
    link; PBS link; wikipedia; read the first dot

not to mention you did a poor job of making those up, 94 + 4 != 100, what about the other 2%?

minority yes, vast, NO.

2. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    so what's wrong with making some changes in the right direction?
    so you say that this 4% of america is as good as dead? if the vast majority of the US was nazis, does that make naziism right as well? that's the type of logic that makes racism and genocide still rampant all over the world these days.

3. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    there's nothing wrong with it, he's merely asserting blind me-too-ism. he should try lurking on /b/ on 4chan.

not to mention that his statistics are completely made up. i hate misinformation that i'm not propagating.

Attached Files:

4. lorothrigs

lorothrigs

Resources:
    Resources:
    The other 2 would be polytheistic...

5. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    i always thought it was inevitable that a forum based completely on hate would be made... i was proven right, i guess.

6. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    actually, 4chan is an image board with the option of anonymous posting, without registration. most of the rest of the boards are civil, but /b/ has no rules at all, literally

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  7. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    you can't possible say o rly without thinking of that owl from 4chan.
    [​IMG]
    btw, is this thread even about war and peace anymore?

8. Dalaran_Guard

Dalaran_Guard

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I was simply disputing this statement in my previous post.

In response to today's comments, American always has been and will probably continue to be dominated by White Protestants. Like it or not, agree or disagree, that's how it is for now...

Ephy, citizens' rights should NEVER be violated, even in times of crisis or war. Oh, and I'm not disputing the fact that other countries have done unjustified things; it's just that that fact goes directly against what MSBB said in the quote above (i.e. EVERYONE else)...

Slavery: once again, I was disputing the above quote. When you take just about anything out of context it sounds pretty ridiculous, so read things for what they are...

HARDCORE SECULAR PROGRESSIVES: make up what percent of America? 5%? Maybe 6%? Now, knowing this, saying that "America is a place that seeks to acknowledge everyone and provide them the same rights" is dumb, considering only a small portion of Americans are aspiring toward this common goal. America is made up of lots of people, and yes, a few devoted individuals can make a difference, but the nation must be represented as a whole...

Nothing wrong with a step in the right direction, but if two groups march in opposite directions, how can they ever expect to be unified?

Finally, qualify/define this 'me-too-ism' so I at least have a proper chance to defend myself...

9. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:

10. Dalaran_Guard

Dalaran_Guard

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You see, I just don't recognize why the whole "under God" part is such a big deal; you are pledging allegiance to the Flag and to the Republic, not to God nor monotheism. People seem to have such a problem with saying 'under God', even though it means nothing if they don't believe in it.

On a side note: this is getting to be quite a heated debate. I think I'm enjoying this whole devil's advocate thing way too much...
    :grin:

11. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    i'm not saying it's right, i'm saying that it tends to happen. and it happens worldwide, too.

okay, but you worded it as if america was the ONLY country that ever had slavery. the romans did, the greeks did, most of freaking europe did. you're ignoring the human tendency to lessen the consequences upon frowned-upon acts if somebody else is committing disdainful ones. not to mention the human tendency to follow the crowd. i'm not saying it justifies or makes slavery any better, but that the light you're putting it in is very one-sided. hmm, blind "me-too"ism right here: most of the world that isn't being paid by america hates america. you probably are paid by americans, but you seem to be following the larger majority (see my definition later in the post).

okay, but hardcore secular-progressives know how to use the court systems to their advantage, leveraging every last bit of power out of their relatively small group. 5% of a WHOLE country as large as the US being devoted to being pussies is a lot of people, especially if their ideals are being considered by moderates. have you noticed that a very low % of most of anything is fanatical about what they do? if 5% of america is hardcore secular-progressive, what % of america is secular-progressive overall? "me-too"ism is really easy, because you don't need to stop and think (see my definition later in the post)

who the hell is marching in different directions? it's generally agreed upon that america could stand to be better, and most of the ways in which it could are also well-defined. spitting back your low% at you, maybe only 10% of americans disagree with the rest of the nation about where the US should be going, if even 10%? the only real dispute is how to get there.

Ephy's definition of "me-too"ism: the tendency to follow the crowd and not make one's own judgments as to what should and should not be allowed. what YOU seem to be saying is that because america has been so bad and ugly in the past, why should it even consider stopping to think about things that it's doing bad and ugly now?

QFT

but YOU ARE pledging allegiance to God! "I pledge allegiance to the flag, of the US of A, and to the republic for which it stands ... under God ... with liberty and justice for all." THE COMMAS IN BETWEEN "ONE NATION" "UNDER GOD" AND "INDIVISIBLE" MEAN THEY ARE LIKE ITEMS IN A LIST, YOU ARE PLEDGING YOUR ALLEGIANCE AND LOYALTY TO GOD EVERY TIME YOU SAY THE PLEDGE. also, this has been said before, but "under God" wasn't in the original pledge. wait, another example of "me-too"ism: "we've done so for practically forever, why should we stop just because we've only now realized it's at best controversial, and at worst fascism?"

so is THAT why you're coming off as wrong to the point of criminal ignorance, or are you really? honestly, commas separating individual items to form a list is a BASIC. ENGLISH. WRITING. PRINCIPLE. the people that don't get that need to stop whatever they're doing and talk with an elementary-school teacher about their writing skills.

12. Darth Trhite

Darth Trhite

Resources:
    Resources:
    that was the statistic last time I checked...ill have to check my sources...
    but then again...while the odds are slim to none...if you get 10,000 random people and ask them if they are openly gay (by the way, im only using this as an example) there is a chance that 100% of them are. The only 100% accurate way to get ur statistics is to ask everybody of the specific group of people or region they are studying. In other words, ask ALL AMERICANS if theyre homosexual/lesbian or not.
    Ignoring my previous rant, I was hoping ud have some sort of imagination
    Im guessing its polytheistic religions, and things like satanism, buddhism, church of the Flying Sphagetti Monster.

The ironic thing is that racism and discrimination is impossible to destroy. Even more ironic is that theres a more 'racist' attitude some minorites have over majorities, but its not considered "racism". Its only a hate crime if a white man does it to a minority member. What is it if a black man kills a black man? what about when a black man does it to a white man? Nobody can commit a 1st degree murder without HATING the other the murdered person. If you want an intentionally racist and discriminating country, refer to the middle east.

I can understand "me-too"ism. Wadaya think caused nazism to spread like it did? Hitler actually was intelligent. He brought together a ruined Germany, made them all part of something, gave them a common enemy. They were willing to die for Hitler. I can imagine he hacked his Charisma Attributes. Before people acknowledge my clearly unpopular view of what happened in the late 30s in Germany, I hate Hitler as much as you do, and WTF WOULD I BE DOING PRAISING THE DEATH OF 12M PEOPLE?!?

Not every democrat agrees with ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING their party believes in (see FDR and his tax cuts) same thing with republicans. (sorry cant think of any examples). But...yea i can kinda agree with that statement.

13. GST_Nemisis

GST_Nemisis

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    LOL at the flying spaghetti monster thing, +rep for showing this hilarious thing to me :):):):)

14. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    i provided THREE sources that said % was in the 70s, one of them being PBS.

A) luciferien (luciferian?), not satanist :grin:, B) you still need to say what the other 2% is.
    lol i made a comment about that in the religion in the future? thread

that's already been said.

actually, 1st degree murder only means it was a calculated killing, and not just something like getting really mad at somebody and beating him/her to death with a nearby metal object.

that's a little harsh. people of every ethnicity travel to mecca for religious pilgrimage, i doubt many anglos or otherwise are beaten or anything.

imo you're not praising him, but acknowledging that he did know what he was doing when he took over. what you said is exactly what he did.

agreed. i would have preferred to not just sit around effectively brain-dead, but starvation is painful, even if "you" aren't in your body any more. i don't know if they did anything to anesthetize her or not, but if you're in hospice care, they don't do anything to keep you living (not feeding), just take care of your lavatorial needs, hook you up on morphine, and let you "live" the rest of your life in peace. being anesthetized would have made it much more pleasant.

not to mention those "breast-feeding" nazis. if there's anything wrong, and you're not breast-feeding, they get way up in your face about it. *cough cough fascism cough*. even if breast milk is a healthier, it's the parent's choice. however, i have come up with a great argument against them: mommy being stressed is bad for the baby, arguing with you is making mommy stressed, go away.

lol yeah, it's funny as hell. btw the actual religion is "pastafarianism". Edit: Pastafarian "Eight I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts"

15. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    that's just the thing. by putting "under god" in the pledge, it means we ARE pledging allegiance to god. it is a big deal because the children are reciting it every day in school, and children just happen to be the most easily influenced people in the world. do we want to teach our children to be narrow minded and believe that the only type of religion that could possibly be right is monotheism? it's like putting white power in the pledge and on our money (third time i'm referencing that, and for a good reason).

16. lorothrigs

lorothrigs

Resources:
    Resources:
    Not really.

17. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    usually, when people make a statement, they back it up.

18. lorothrigs

lorothrigs

Resources:
    Resources:
    O rly?

19. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    ya rly

20. lorothrigs

lorothrigs

Resources:
    Resources:

Oh, well in that case.
    It's different because "In God we trust" doesn't refer to a specific god. God could mean a plethora of things. It could mean the Christian God, money, the Muslim god, the jewish god. "God" is a generic term for something being worshiped. I'll admit that it's probably the Christian god, but still, it's very different from saying something as blatant as "White power!!!!11!". Which is entirely bias towards a specific view point.