1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Can there be peace without war?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Malufa, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Dalaran_Guard

Dalaran_Guard

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This post is entirely off topic, but I post for the sake of truth...

You've overlooked one of the four main properties of light: diffraction. This is the bending of light around a corner. All waves bend to a certain degree; its just that sound waves, etc. bend more than light waves do, explaining why we can hear someone talking from around a corner, but we cannot see them. There is but one exception to the bending rule, and that involves lasers, which have a property called cohesion that allows them to stay together and have minimal, if any, bending. So ya, ummm....learn your physics...

2. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    A) Or is there?
    B) Thanks very much for the example of total anarchy.

Thank you for correcting me. >_> we didn't get that far in my high school physics class (so really, I have no right to talk physics at all, but I do anyways :p). I'll edit my previous post to mention diffraction (which I'll assume is what Griffen was also talking about), but I'm too lazy to go and get a significantly accurate description of it.

Again, thanks to both of you for fixing up/bettering my explanation of light.

3. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's not off topic:
    Personally, I think that peace can happen without war, but humans are going to take the war way out.

That much...:
    Darn, and I had all this prepared. Thanks a lot Dalaran_Guard...
    Yeah, yeah, we all fully understand the sine wave. If you drop a stone in a pond the waves travels outward in all directions. When that wave gets to an object part of it it stopped by the object and part of it isn't. It bends around the rock slightly instead of going in a straight line from the point of rock drop to the edge of the rock. Try moving one shadow of the sun closer to another, they jump towards each other, its fun...

The shadow looks darker by comparison because the rods and cones in your eye adjust to the levels of light, this changes what is sent to your brain.

Maybe I play the undead too much...

Captain Griffen:
    For our needs we don't need to get down to the quantum level, up on this scale we know certain things about light.

4. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Edit: I feel like an idiot for forgetting this. Until the quote with the "Darn, and ... Guard", everything after this is said after the original post. Personally, I believe that humanity is incapable of peace happening without a significantly large war. War is the only thing significant and horrendous enough to cause a dramatic and swift change of opinion.

lol okay, I totally got owned there.

I said it makes it darker through contrast. Ironically enough, in your argument against why light doesn't make darkness darker, so did you, and then you explained how it happens. And anyways, your explanation is wrong about why, though. This will explain why, (yes, it's talking about Star Wars, get over it.)
    Yes. Yes you do.

Edit: @Hakeem thank you for reminding me to answer that. By the way, YOU'RE the one that said rods and cones do that.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  5. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Our eyes adjust to the light automatically, just like the camera has to be adjusted to take different pictures. But it's not the rods and cones that do that: it's the dialation of the pupils. EDIT: Sometimes it's confusing to know so much about a subjuect, I was wrong a first.

On topic:

Can there be peace without war?
    We can stay at peace, but it might take a war to get there.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  6. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    since when was this thread about light waves?

7. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Since we started using light for elaborate metaphors, and light waves for debunking our debate opponent's elaborate light metaphors. So, your opinion (again)?

Edit: @Below: lol. Nothing else to say but lol.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  8. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    my opinion? these metaphors fucking suck. :thumbs_up:

9. Captain Griffen

Captain Griffen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Until we agree on what 'peace' and 'war' mean, this debate is pointless.

Light (photons) is quantum. Light 'waves' don't actually exist. Quantum objects exhibit wave behaviour, without being waves.

10. The_wand_mirror

The_wand_mirror

Resources:
    Resources:
    Could there be war without religion, money? man are made to make war to, just like in nature, only i think they are just foolish butchering they're own race.

11. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    :sad: does that mean we didn't agree on this?
    Anyways, let's define war as a state of existence in which a significantly large amount of the involved parties are attempting in an organized manner to negatively affect another involved party in a manner that adversely, but mostly negatively, affects parties uninvolved in the original conflict.

12. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Many things exhibit wave behaviour without being waves, we can still talk about what we can see light does, even if we have no idea how.

We are at war with viruses, but we are talking about human vs human war in this thread.

Monkeys war without religion or money.

13. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    this would have been a better thread had this been about peace and conflict, not peace and war, because it really distorts your view of what, exactly, do people mean by peace.

14. Captain Griffen

Captain Griffen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wars are mainly an act perpetrated by a few upon the majority.

Example: WWI, most of the time the majority weren't trying to shoot each other. Fire a few shots above their head in the morning to keep the officers happy, and of course to boil the water on the machine gun.

And for the general population? No real attempt to cause harm to the other side.

Religion isn't the cause of war; ideology, stupidity or greed are.

15. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm feeling a little foolish for missing the bulk of this post. Anyways, humans are not foolish for attacking each other. Take for example, spiders: shortly after birth, many are likely to try and make a meal of their brothers and sisters. Wolves: territory is respected, but the instant it isn't BAM, several score tooth wounds on your leg alone, applies to everything big enough to be a threat, including other wolves. Ants: perfectly capable of coexistance within their own colonies, but they'll definitely attack other colonies. Lions: males are likely to kill their own cubs.

There's nothing wrong with assaults on members of the same race, the problem is when they don't happen over resources.

Religion usually ends up as an excuse, but it seldom is the actual cause.