• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Campaign information, status and more.

Level 2
Welcome to the Black Company forum. The Black Company is a campaign being developed by Badisimo Productions. Our goal is to provide an accurate and fun rendition of Glen Cooks novel, The Black Company, using the Warcraft 3 engine. If you have never read The Black Company, I would suggest that you do. :)

I'm sure you're saying to yourself, who the heck is Badisimo Productions? I've never heard of them before. This is most likely true for 100% of you, because this is our first release to the WC3 community.

Allow me to introduce myself, Fuertisimo, as one half of our little team. I have been designing levels for games since I was in the sixth grade, beginning with the classic and widely acclaimed macintosh shooter, Marathon Infinity. My level design career follows a haphazard route from there, jumping from the groundbreaking Myth series to some dabbling with the Unreal Tournament editor. Warcraft 3 has been host to my latest map making adventures, and if you are at all curious to see what I have done so far, you can browse my maps 'n mods profile at maps.worldofwar.net which hosts my first three releases Bluewater Creek, The Boiling Pools, and The Stone Maelstrom. As always comments and votes are appreciated.

The second member of the Badisimo crew is Badthrall, also somewhat of a veteran of level design. His greatest accomplishment so far was to work with the Creation team to create several highly acclaimed Myth 2: Soulblighter scenarios, including some that were commercially released. While Badthrall has no released maps to the Warcraft 3 community yet aside from our campaign demo, this is only because of his dedication to The Black Company project, the focus of almost all his design efforts.

As you may have guessed, if you combine Badthrall and Fuertisimo, you get Badisimo. :wink:

Introductions aside, our Black Company Demo is provided to try and give people a taste of what the full campaign hopes to realize, and to hopefully generate some interest in the campaign. Fans of The Black Company series, we hope, will approve of our re-creation of the story, as well as tolerate any creative liberties we had to take to make the campaign as enjoyable as possible.

The status of the campaign is something I plan on keeping people aware of, and while our demo only contains the first four playable levels, the final release will contain in the vicinity of 18 playable levels and as many as 12 interlude/cutscene style levels. While it is difficult to give an exact number of maps that have been completed due to the various stages of completion, I can say that just today I finished designing the terrain for the 12th level, so our progress has been significant. :)

As for new content in the scenario, we are working mostly with existing spells models and skins due to necessity: niether I nor Badthrall are very artistically inclined. :) Badthrall has altered a few skins to better suit the charactors we are trying to represent and we have inserted a couple of publically released pieces of work (with all due credit of course). Aside from that however we are not planning on new models, skins, spells, etc. unless a good samaritan or interested designer volunteers to assist us. If we cannot aquire the talent however, the campaign can and will be released as it is being designed.

What we would be looking for in an additinal team member(s), would be talented artists (to design skins, icons, or splash art) modellers or jass spell designers. A talented level designer while perhaps not nescessary would be welcome if we felt you could bring something to the mix, either on this project, or on any additional projects we may undertake. Music, sound and voiceover talent would be appreciated as well. Naturally we are only interested in people who want to contribute, so please do not contact us on a whim, both myself and Badthrall are veteran enough to know that the majority of people who volunteer most likely will never contribute. So unless you plan on really doing something, please don't bother (note it is not a requirement to have read the book). Once more I emphasize to the public that we are not counting on volunteers, our current design scheme of the campaign does not include any of the above listed positions. They would simply be a bonus to what we hope is already a solid campaign :)

That being said, if you're interested in helping, and possibly staying with us beyond this campaign, you can contact me at [email protected] or Badthrall at [email protected].

I would like to thank wc3sear.ch for hosting this forum. Please post any questions or comments that you have, and of course download and vote for our demo here on wc3sear.ch! You can visit our official website (being graciously hosted by The Star Alliance at www.SAmods.org) at http://blackcompany.samods.org.

-EDIT 10.07.04 (BC Website change) -BT
-EDIT 01.10.05 (Added Signature)-BT