1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Let your favorite entries duke it out in the 15th Techtree Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Weave light to take you to your highest hopes - the 6th Special Effect Contest is here!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

BUGS!

Submitted by MoCo
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.

changelog:
v1.7: (hopefully) no more desync errors

You will always find more information about the map and updates in this thread:
Bug Evolution - One day in a bug's life

Screenshots

[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]

MAP INFO:

This is your life as a bug!

Following the law of darwin, only the strongest insects will survive. Your task is simple: kill, eat and evolve, but try not to get eaten by someone larger than you!
In your evolution, you will become bigger and adapt the abilities of the insects you kill.

Who will be the first bug to reach level 70 and rule the carrot garden?

- 1 to 9 players
- decent AI support
- fully written in jass

Thanks to:
GreyArchon (original "digger" idea), 13LUR (Sim Ant map), communist_orc (beehive model), Dan van Ohllus (snail & slug models), Darkwulfv (xp system), D.O.G. (fly and green worm model), Heroic_Milkman (bee model), Olof Moleman (dragon-fly & coackroach models), Werewulf (carnivorous plant model).

Keywords:
bug, bugs, BUGS, beetle, beetles, insect, insects, evolution, deathmatch, team, dm, micro, arena
Contents

BUGS! (Map)

Reviews
04:10, 25th Dec 2009 ap0calypse: Approved
  1. TheBlooddancer

TheBlooddancer

Resources:
    Resources:
    That worm is Win. I demand you to use it. :smile:

Also, i like that creep kills creeps, but once in a while, i, in lvl 10 or so, encounter an almost dead lvl 40. Then i just use food, and rampage it, and level like hell. You might get some way, to ensure that the killer, had atleast 60 of the total Dmg.

2. MoCo

MoCo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I hoped to find another way because this sounds very complicated to do.. hmm...

Would be much easier to make food 'non-combat-usable' ^^

Bosses could be stronger so it will require not just simply attacking but maybe a little bit of micro/tactics to kill them..

So with all these fundamental changes to do, I maybe also start creating different hero classes..

3. Tanasren

Tanasren

Resources:
    Resources:
    Very nice fat ass worm :p

As for the battle between ants (one of my idea but maybe not only mine ^^) IT ROXXED !
    When you kill the Queen, it ends spawning !
    But you should improve their lvl to give more xp, or give stats, or give ability or items !
    The evil spider should give only xp (like it is).
    I found the camera too far but just rolled up the button on the computer mouse and it was fine.
    You surely should add more ACTIVES skills :
    - a spit which deal high damage but can be avoid by running, as a missile
    - find spells that requires skills, to combine, to avoid, to target...

You should also make the plant to aattack each other, it seemed like it didn't work, and add MORE HP cause it should be THE BOSSES.
    Add more life to snails and armor plz ! and more lvls :p

Yep it's a fuckin nice game !
    I will really follow it !
    thx MoCo !

4. TM-Magic

TM-Magic

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'd offer a lot of help, but idk if you want GUI in ur map. That and I have a lot of work to do myself, as you know.

Maybe if you need some quick help or something...nothing too major, I can help.

5. MoCo

MoCo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Is there something special you would like to do/help with?

I really can use some help on the abilities. Any suggestions and ideas for interesting/funny/tactical/whatever spells and abilties are very welcome!

If you want, I can send you the source so that you can take a look at things..

I really like the the idea of the spit you could evade through running away. This is a good example for a typical combat ability that will feature the skill/micro aspect of the gameplay.

6. TM-Magic

TM-Magic

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    First of all, you should think about putting these spells into spellbooks, maybe 2, one for passive and one for casting abilities. The spit ability is definitely a good investment...Idk, abilities aren't usually something I invest a lot in. It's very hard to add skills that add micro management to the table when ur talking about a single unit. And even then, this is a bug world and some abilities wouldn't fit, such as blink. Maybe a fly away ability? or Jump rather? Evasion, critical strike and bash are always good, but it really depends on if your getting them at a certain level or by doing something for it (like how the current abilities are). Assuming your going to keep doing it like it is, it wouldn't be bad to add.

Idk if you've taken a look at my spore map at all, but the abilities that you can pick in there at phase 3 are basic passive ones. (Passive because u'll be controlling a bunch of units at once later on). But in there you get to pick what you upgrade and they have evolution type names like "Sharpen Claws" (critical strike) and "Grow brigger hands" (bash). [I'm hoping to give u a few ideas here, not necessarily do this]

Hmmm...yeh Idk about abilities, their not usually my department. I'm good with game balance and gameplay. When I started making my zergling blood map (based on the starcraft zergling blood) the idea was there, it all worked how it was suppose to and the units were balanced, but it was still lacking. So I worked with it and discovered I could make it a hell of a lot funner if I made everything work faster. Units already died fairly fast, but I made it even faster, and move faster and get gold faster and now even I enjoy playing it even after hundreds of times of playing. It's funny how much something small like a little speed can change the game. I'd just have to say that even in real games today, I think a lot of gameplay is missing that was lost since the early days of gaming. Anyways that was my rant today.

7. Tanasren

Tanasren

Resources:
    Resources:
    Cool, i'm gonna try your zergling blood map !

Two book spells is necessary cause players want more than 4 abilities. I think, if it's possible, to make the active abilities in the "normal book of spell" but add one or two books for others things like "Dig", "Alliance", "Passives skills".

As for the spit, this should be the funniest spell in this map because it's hard to add "bugs spells" which requires skill/micromanagement.

A jump would be very nice too, with a little aoe when you come back to the ground with damages (not too much) and a little stun.
    A "push horn", for the scarab bug or for a strong bug like scorpion, where you push away the target and stun it for 1 second, if you combine it with the stun of the jump spell, you might be able to push the target two or three times farther ^_^' (so you can push ennemies in the evil spider etc...)
    A sprint would be cool too, with a cooldown and a high cost in mana or even life (HP) cause it would help to avoid the spit.
    You should also add a better poison, an active one where you bite the opponent and it slows him during 5 sec...
    An the last idea, a chitinous shield which add armor, but slows down, lol i know this sux but you can make something with it (maybe if u improve it).

PS : - You should increase damage and life, and armor of the EVIL SPIDER beause at lvl 50 it's so easy to kill it alone (with one or two food). No one should attack it or only the strongest bugs but it must attack everyone and don't care if it one shot players lol.
    - Bees can suicide themselves with a huge attack when under 50 HP xD
    - Spiders mustn't fight others ones (don't know if it is already done)

Ok, i'm gonna wait for news, good luck MoCo !

8. TheBlooddancer

TheBlooddancer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Make a boss, that gives REALLY much dmg, but has a turn rate of 6 or such. That way you will have to attack it from the back.

9. Tanasren

Tanasren

Resources:
    Resources:
    So what happens now ?

10. MoCo

MoCo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I was really busy with rl stuff within the last time and bit lacking in motivation. I think I continue working on this after a short break.

11. Royy

Royy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Awesome, hope to see it continued.

12. D-Note

D-Note

Resources:
    Resources:
    break over!
    update!

13. Dragon9560

Dragon9560

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wow... good idea i just played it 5/5 +rep

14. XKillerBoy

XKillerBoy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Not working.

15. GreyArchon

GreyArchon

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Lovely to see my idea from the forum being used. I've made my own map, which also uses the digging system of course, but is really just a quick, clean and innocent fun little game of hide and seek / tag. This seems a lot more advanced, I look forward to playing it soon.

16. MoCo

MoCo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I guess the break took a little longer, but I'm back now and I'll put up a new version soon, that will be compatible with patch 1.23b+.

EDIT: new version upped!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  17. Gorthag

Gorthag

Resources:
    Resources:
    I found a bug :D

Ok, jokes aside, I've played your map in SP and i really like it, I am a big fan of evolution and this map manages to capture that very good.

However there are some things that I must point out, the volcano i found in the underground part of the map doesn't fit in since it's not -that- deep, right?

The evolution is abit dull, maybe you could do every 10 levels you turn in to an egg where you can pick abilitys and perhaps even change the color of your beetle.
    It's just that i want my beetle to really feel like -my- beetle, you know.

Some more abilitys whould be nice, like shadowmeld and perhaps different kinds of poisons?

Ok, so, on to the good stuff then.

The terrain is cool and varied.

Love the honeybees.

The borrowing whit the underground and all that was awsome.

Could be improved i many ways and has potential
    So i give 4/5

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  18. MoCo

MoCo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Hey Gorthag,

Thanks for the feedback!
    I agree with you.. the map could really be improved in lots of ways...
    But I'm not sure if I find time and motiviation to further work on it..

19. slake

slake

Resources:
    Resources:
    Omg, this game rocks!!!
    I can't point out bugs(realy funny when I say it)and glitches because all the other guys wrote huge reply's with everything in detail so I can wish you only luck and please find more time to update for the sake of the fans.Also I love the way you get skills,the giant spider and the plant that has huge dmg.
    Also I think this game deserves 4.5/5 and rep so I give it to you.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  20. XPQJ

XPQJ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    very nice map indeed however there is always room for improvement :)
    Terrain is very aesthetically pleasing but the different obstacles that you can walk through such as plants could have some sort of effect given off that makes larger developed creatures have a chance to miss when attacking in this covered area--giving the behind creatures a spot of cover to be able to attempt more thoroughly a comeback. In the underground it would be cool to see occasional rocks fall when destroying a rock, which would restore the rocks on the underground because after 15 minutes in a 12 player game the underground is empty of rocks.

Game play was nice, really started laughing when all 12 of us ran into the lvl 70 spider at the very start and at least 8 people cursed, glad that the spider has low movement as well as the other big units, very well balances it. However the game somewhat becomes luck when you randomly find a lvl 60 beetle with 100 hp left and cast your offensive stun ability and boom lvl 10 to lvl 30, my suggestion is to add a trigger so that the one that did the most damage to the unit gets the exp. The items were a nice spawn to find but there were so few spawns that it was rare to find an item and before engaging in PvP you had to make sure your opponent did not have any, this was an excellent feature, I am not sure if adding more food would be a good idea, but I like how you have it executed now. However I do think the items should be implicated with the underground, like the possibility of finding an item by destroying a rock, items like mushrooms(50% chance to heal) rock shard(offensive stun spell) and other stuff, because after you get the skin skill from the underground there is not much to go back for, unless an ant queen died but not the other one then you can AoE level 20s and get to level 50 like instantly. I LOVE that you did not use a fps camera, hate those in war3.

Overall the game has few flaws and is a new and interesting game that can take two twists from here, either a luck game, or can be a new innovative strategy game. Cant wait to see the development.

Thank you for a great map
    4.5/5 but since I now you will make it better I just give 5/5 ;D