1. Are you planning to upload your awesome icon to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    July 8, 2018: The rules for the Icon Section have been revised. Please be sure to read the revisions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

BTNPhoenix15

Submitted by Thehive
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Okay, I tried making something other than a sword. I kinda liked the result when I was done but when I downsized it for WC III and added image borders (damn borders!), I think it got alot worse since you can't see any details. :(
And also, I didn't add any shadow because it's a bird made of fire. Should I add shadows anyway?

Update: Ok I added some purple. Better? :) I really dunno how a "typical phoenix" looks like but I tried to use the one from WC III editor as a template and work from there.

Update: Added more colour and shadows.

Update: More shadows and new background (probably temporary).

Update: Made it look more fiery.

Update: Made it look more agressive (or powerful) like Dentothor mentioned.

Keywords:
phoenix, fire, flame
Contents

BTNPhoenix15 (Icon)

Reviews
10:30, 25th Jun 2009 zombie2279: Quite good, actually. The beak looks weird and pixelated. You'll have to fix that and somehow detail it a bit more. The shading of the rest is quite okay, but some more fire-ish effects on the bird would do well....
  1. a7xpwns3

a7xpwns3

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Smudge, definately. Imma have to give this a 4/5 now since all the problems I stated were fixed, it looks good, but not very Warcraftish.

2. Thehive

Thehive

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    About the double posts. The first time I couldn't fine the attachment button but I figured out later that I could "Go Advanced" and enter it there.
    The second time, I don't know why I did it cause I have edited my posts like hundreds of times.

3. oh_snap

oh_snap

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    The background needs some changes, as near the top of head of the phoenix is black, while the rest is gradient of orange. As zombie suggested, you should make it resemble flames. The beak needs some work, try adding some highlights to the bottom jaw, and shadows to the top.

~Snap

4. a7xpwns3

a7xpwns3

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Eww. Fix the eyes now.

5. X.e.r.e.X

X.e.r.e.X

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Try using colors like in this pic that I made

[​IMG]

6. a7xpwns3

a7xpwns3

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Ai can sea yoor smuhge stroacks.

7. Thehive

Thehive

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    That looks great but I'm afraid I have no idea how you made it look that good. I would have made it nice from the beginning if I knew how to. I've constantly been updating things that people have pointed out so I've learned as I was making it and I'm 100% out of ideas and ways of doing the things you guys tell me to.

8. a7xpwns3

a7xpwns3

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    He started out with a few colored dots and smudged it.

9. gunggang777

gunggang777

Resources:
    Resources:
    you don't make pas btn and dispas btn o.o

don't be lazy it's easy...

10. Thehive

Thehive

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Well I know but I just didn't think it would be necessary to make a passive one so I skipped it.
    I can just create and upload a BTNPAS and DISBTNPAS in 30 seconds if I thought people could have use for it so it's not about me being lazy.

Edit: Uploaded a passive one. And I know it's still pending. I'm just taking a break 'cause I don't really know what to do with it right now.

11. a7xpwns3

a7xpwns3

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Gunggung, no.

Adding more borders are useless. If people want more borders, then they can download Button Manager and add some.

Many of the best artists only make a BTN and DISBTN version, such as Mr.Goblin, CR, and KelThuzad.

12. gunggang777

gunggang777

Resources:
    Resources:
    Gunggung? Omg...

sorry i don't know because iam a noobie D:

13. a7xpwns3

a7xpwns3

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Nuu prublem. :p

Jusht lern propper gramer, okai?

14. Zombie

Zombie

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    The front part of the face is still too highlighted.

15. Thehive

Thehive

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Haha. It's quite funny how I always seem to think my icon is good but as soon as I change it, I'm like "how could I ever think THAT looked good?". I wonder what I will think about it's current state when I'm at the next step because I must say that I actually like it. But then again, I always feel proud right after I've made something.

16. Zombie

Zombie

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Go ahead and make something then. There's no ready artwork, only abandoned.

17. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I liked this. =P

This icon looks pretty good, Thehive. I don't know how it looked before, though...
    Good that you are earning experience out of it! =D

18. FrIkY

FrIkY

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Looks really nice, I like it! ^^

19. Thehive

Thehive

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Hey. I saw that my icon has been approved and I read the comment. I haven't given up on it, I have just had so much other things to do lately. I'll get back to iconmaking as soon as I have time if I still am into it by then.

Edit: I'm back after quite a while, not that anyone noticed my absence, hehe.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  20. Vareth

Vareth

Resources:
    Resources:
    Beautiful