• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BSG:GC v3.4

Reactions: General Red HAwk
This is the newest of my Galactic Conquest maps, this one themed for Battlestar Galactica. You can take command of a force of Humans or Cylons and then fight for supremacy in a region of space. Enjoy!
Now includes new models, more balance and various modes of gameplay including normal FFA with up to one ally each, Cylon Civil War, 5v5 Human v Cylon or "Survival" in which one player commands Galactica and must evade a Cylon team for 30 minutes. Includes new models.
NOTE: this map is protected.

Keywords:
Battlestar Galactica, BSG, Cylons, Galactic Conquest
Contents

BSG:GC v3.4 (Map)

Reviews
20:17, 15th Aug 2008 PurplePoot: After playing through the map on Battle.net in "Humans vs Cylons" mode, I found it to be in general slow-paced and uninteresting. The game had no defining feature to separate it from any other one of the many...

syc

syc

Level 8
Apparently the site is not showing the most recent post because i received a message:
Here is the message that has just been posted:
haha umm that was sort of an awkword double post :p
and I can't see it... but i couldn't see my first post, which is why i reposted.

Level 8
well you just did it again lol, and i am having no problems with teh site at the moment. but its okay. so anyways, last BSG's episode was crazyy eh? earth is a nucleur wasteland yikes.

Offtopic!
/me hits you with a rolled up newspaper

@syc I have no problems with the site

@Lord_Sauron
When is the new version coming and will you have fixed the problems in this version [missiles don't have the locust ability for example]?

Level 11
Fairly soon, I have a lot of stuff going on at the moment. What do you mean by the missiles have locust?

if you give a unit the "locust" ability then in game it wont be selectible. right now in BSG we can click and move around the missiles from the baseship, but if u give the missiles the "locust" ability, we wont be able to do that. in the Cypt Lord's abiltiy "locust swarm", the little bugs that fly around the crypt lord have the "locust" ability.

Level 11
Will they still behave normally and pursue their targets, or will they act like locusts?

they will behave normally and will pursue targets. it just makes them un-selectible, im not sure what formula was used in createing the "Locust Swarm" ability, except that the units contained the "locust" ability. of course u might want to test it out real quick on your map, but im sure it will be fine.

Level 3
Great map and I love how at the start Humans are more powerful but by sheer numbers the Cylons always beat the humans.
On that note the humans need something to help them out late game considering the cylons overwhelm so much that battle stars die in seconds.
But that would be avoidable if the mining gave a little more resources (80 per 30 seconds does not help when you have battle stars that cost 1800 and Mirandas that cost 3800)
Anyhow just a suggestion, even without a few minor tweaks this game is pretty fun and true to the show (very cat and mouse like)

Level 3
Actually after playing it pretty much all day I'd say its pretty balanced. Cylons have their numbers and the resurrection ship helps a lot (needs a more clear description saying that it only works when within range of units killed) and Humans have their brute force.
They both balance each other out well.
The costs are a little outlandish though. A Miranda class is not worth 3400 (maybe keep the stats but give it a special skill set like a short range multi targeting attack that attacks raiders and missiles only. If you make the damage low enough that it doesn't obliterate everything that gets close it could add an incentive to get the Miranda class.
And maybe tweak the nuke a bit. The damage is good and the splash radius is good as well but maybe you could add the radiation fallout damage that its supposed to do.
The Cylon models need to be a bit more effective also, with auras for the humans like battle star support combined with Athena and Adama (giving a total of 25 extra damage) the cylons need something to be effective.
The last suggestion is to boost the gold obtained through planets and moons by a little bit, say an extra 5 per planet/moon and increase the bonus given by Rosalin to 15 and the amount subracted by Cain to -15.

That just leaves one last thing, theres a bug where units die if they are too close to the corners where production takes place. I had a blackbird exploring and it simply died from getting too close to those areas.
Ive had it happen as Cylons also with raiders so it isn't a race specific issue.

But still a highly addictive game even without the minor tweaks and definitely better than any of the similar (but yet so different in a bad way) Galactic Conquest games. 5/5 even if it needs a few tweaks and minor balance issues.

Level 6
Not bad but its too slow paced and not noob friendly.
Here's what I think could be improved on:

Miranda class: its not worth that kind of gold.
Cylon heroes: their bonuses and debuffs are terrible/almost useless.
Income: its incredibly slow and makes the game dull.

To explain the basics you could always put a text on the screen telling people how to gain resources where the heroes can be bought/how the work and lastly explaining how the deploy button/system works.

Level 5
heres my sugestions:
1cap ships be tougher and cost more, ive seen cap ships die in seconds its not funny 10 sec ur ahead of everyone got 5 cap ships next 10 seconds ur dead, they need to be tougher
2income higher
3some sort of bomber unit (since fighters are pretty weak allmost useless unless massed)
4missiles auto fireing at enemies not so u gota use ability
5fighters with less hp and more evasion (rockets can be shot down)
6acutulay stop the radar from detecting stuff in asteriods/nebulas i saw countless times the red ping inside them
7mercury class shouldnt cost that much lol i dont get wuts so great about it, it has 1200 more hp and 20-30 more dmg
8a mini-capital ship class like frigate or whatever

btw i do not watch the show, so dont blame me if i am not acurate to it.

edit: is this map dead?

Last edited:
Level 2
Very good job on this map, units are really good, excelent use of the models, but as many have said, it's alittle slow-paced, but thats not really a problem for me, normally it's friends/clan members i play with and we kinda prefer slower-paced games cuz we try and RP in almost every map, lol.
However, theres some things I think could be done different to make it abit better..

Heres my suggestions:
--Stronger Capital ships, I've seen 4 Cylon basestars jump ontop of 2 nercury class battlestars and kill them both before their jump was ready to be used again.
--Allow both Battlestars and Basestars to hold more units(if possible), I've noticed that they each can carry 12 units, but in the show u see them many more then 12(for example, one basestar in the show holds hundreds of raiders)
--Make multiple FTL jump-ranges, for example, currently, they all say "medium range", what should be done, is "Short range" be a very short-distance jump for fighters(yes i know human fighters in the show*excluding the blackbird* can't jump, but just add it in there anyways), Short range would be barley enough to escape a battle, Medium Range should be alittle less then the current jump-distance is, and "Long Range" should be alittle further then current, medium would be heavy-raiders, raptors, and civ ships, long range should be capitals and the blackbird.
--Ontop of the jump-range changes, for human capitals(mainly cuz in the show, humans would be the only ones risky enough to do this..), add a "Blind Jump" ability, which would have like a 5min cooldown, but not share the cooldown with the standard jump, make it instant-cast(not like the current where the ship turns to where u click, and counts to like 3 and jumps), and make it a random-spot within a certain range of the ship, also, I would suggest making the ship take damage equal to 50% of it's CURRENT health, and on top of that it should be unable to move at all for 10seconds.
--Also would be nice to see the black wall or whatever it's called returned tot he map, so you actually have to search for planets/moons.

Overall, i give the map a 4.5/5.

Level 2
What would you suggest, increasing income a bit and lowering upgrade costs?

1 Refinery 15 Tylium, in my opinion that's good as it is and if you're smart upgrade costs won't be a problem to deal with. Me and a few friends personally really like that map and in fact we'd love to see it upgraded with more content like - starting raiders should be the ones from the old series as well as battlestars and basestars. The current ones should be made available via research which i'd agree if it's expensive since the difference between the series timeline is like what? 40-50 years? And to the Moderator, this map is not for brain-dead people. In my opinion you're meant to think ahead as the Humans can move their refineries but Cylons can make them for less Tylium. It's sort of like chess, except on a larger scale and not based on turns. Also, all units have DRADIS which practically makes it easy to catch the enemy FTL signal if you spread a few Raiders or Vipers in hiding areas. As for the capital ships... Perhaps you can add ship classes and let the names be randomly generated from a few you entered.

I also really like the balance in the map - Humans hit from closer but harder, Cylons weaker, but from farther. As for the battles, for those who don't know Cylons can research the Virus which is pretty usefull in early Guerilla warfare if you want to cripple the enemy's military force. And if the humans want to get an early edge it's always a good idea to start 1 Refinery and a Raptor to scout for the enemy since although starting with less units, like i said they hit harder. And early on they can halt the Cylons from progressing by delaying the Virus and forcing them to mass on military progress giving them time to work on the Firewall.

Overall I give the map 4/5 because of the lack of the original ships from the old series.

I recommend you add the old capital ships as starting vessels and put the current ones as well as others to be unlockable via research. Take a look at the BSG mod for Homeworld 2 and see if you make something like those ships here. You should do the same with the fighter ships - add the ones from the old series as starter units and the current ones as research to unlock. The 1 down side i found was that planets and moons are VERY rare and the map is a little too small considering there is FTL to help scouting and DRADIS for scanning. You could also add something like the Scorpion Fleet Shipyards are research and construction allowing for more Battlestars to be buildable at once, say 4 at a time but a slowed construction time by say... 1-2 minutes longer for the shipyard? If you do it you'd do good to also restrict it to 1 per player or something...