• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Breath of Reforged RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hey everybody, this is a project I started a couple months ago and have been developing in preparation for the release of Reforged. I'm a novice mapmaker and I've been creating all the triggers and mechanics through GUI and the object editor. Give me any kind of feedback

The game is heavily inspired by Nintendo's Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and includes a few references to other games, such as Dark Souls 1

Map Description: Breath of Reforged is an open world RPG where the player is one with the elements; able to choose an elementalist with the Attack / Defense types of their choice. For example, the player may choose the Troll elementalist, with Attack Type: Lightning, Defense Type: Earth.

Base Elementalist Abilities:

Fire: After a moment, conjure a pillar of fire that blasts apart destructible objects
Water: Encase yourself in a shield of ice, becoming invulnerable for a brief time
Earth: Heal yourself for 5 Life
Lightning: Deal 3 damage to up to 3 enemies in a cone

The hero is able to enhance its base capability with each element by wielding different items. For example, Glacial Shard causes Water to deal 3 frost damage around the hero when cast. There are many more items such as these to be found

The Seven Elements:

Fire, Water, Earth, Lightning, Rift, Dark, Light

Element System:

Fire deals 150% damage to Earth deals 150% damage to Lightning deals 150% damage to Water deals 150% damage to Fire

Fire deals 50% damage to Water deals 50% damage to Lightning deals 50% damage to Earth deals 50% damage to Fire

Elements of a kind deal 80% max dmg to themselves

Light and Dark types deal 150% damage to each other, and Rift types deal 90% damage to all other elements

Stat System: Every level, the hero gains 1 stat point to invest in Agility Strength or Intelligence

Things to do: Explore lands and dungeons, acquiring powerful items as epic bosses fall(there's a good handful of them so far)Figure out what item combinations work the best for you, and use them to fight your friends(and enemies)in PVP. The land is full of secrets, so keep your eye out.. . Try killing the trees with fairies hanging around them.
upload_2019-6-27_23-2-55.png

upload_2019-6-27_23-11-29.png

upload_2019-6-27_23-12-13.png

Item System: Can equip up to one weapon, bow, helm, and shield at any given time. You can have as many as any other item types equipped as you'd like

Update 5/18
Did some work on the Northwest corner of the map, implemented an item system by TaaZ

Update 5/20
Polished the existing boss fights so that their abilities are used and work properly, finished the item system for player Red (Can equip only one shield, one helm, one bow, and one weapon)

Update 6/20
upload_2019-6-27_22-56-28.png

Terraining, bug fixing
Changed Earth so that it isn't auto cast on self but can be cast on other allies
Began implementing Boss reset systems
Added 7 new playable characters, Added racial passives to each character
Added racial stat progressions
Fire(Q) now deals significant base damage to enemies in addition to its utility in breaking destructibles
Added a few new things to do in the starting zone
Added more interactions fore Fire, including the bonfire system
Improved the dialogue interactions greatly
Added a couple graveyards in the world
Started working on an introductory cinematic(only plays for red at the start and it's incomplete)
Game graveyard and item system supports 5 players

Update 6/27
There are now 12 playable characters, each with their own strengths and weaknesses

Added 9 more levels to each elemental ability (They can be leveled up to 10 so far, but I intend to implement 100 levels eventually)

The player can level up their characters abilities by finding tomes of their respective elements scattered throughout the world as rewards from battles, secrets, puzzles, and exploration.
The starting zone now has objects that interact with each elemental ability located in it. (Fire can light dry objects on fire and break objects, Water can freeze things, Lightning can power an object and earth can grace two areas) These elemental interactions will be a recurring theme throughout the game and are intended to have the player constantly interacting with their environment using their elemental powers.
upload_2019-6-27_22-59-35.png
upload_2019-6-27_23-6-23.png

upload_2019-6-27_23-7-34.png

More decoration and tomes scattered throughout the starting zone

Update 7/26

The player now comes with a spellbook that can hold up to an additional 11 spells that can be acquired by finding spell tomes from around the world (currently 14 spells to be found)
The framework for the introductory cinematic is complete
Addition of the Dragontoise boss hidden in the northeastern crevices of the starting zone, intended to test the players use of the water ability
Terrain updates to the starting zone

Theres still a looot of terraining and content for me to produce, and the save system(which I've no idea how to do yet) but I'm gonna try to get as much done before Reforged comes out as possible. If anybody wants to help me develop this map I'd love to be taught a thing or two

Update 10/13/2019

The semester began and I got pretty busy with not working on this map, but I've still been chipping away at it.

There have been many changes and I can't remember all of them, so I'll just explain the state of the map.

-It's inspired by Dark Souls and Breath of the Wild
-The screenshots above are outdated and would look a bit better at this point, but I'm too lazy to upload them right now
-The intro cinematic is a placeholder for its finalized form
-The map is totally open world(You can progress radially outward, although only the starting zone is worth playing so far)
-There are 11 playable characters each with their own passives and stat progressions
-Your character begins with 4 base elemental abilities, an AOE, a direct damage, a heal, and a shield that can be changed drastically by holding the various items found throughout the world
-Shields modify your earth(E) ability, weapons modify lightning(R), helms modify fire(Q), and chest armor modifies water(W)
-Your character comes equipped with a spell book that allows you to collect special abilities from bosses and discoveries around the world that are mechanically different from your base abilities
-Your character comes with a dash mechanic, all thanks to Paladon
-I'd appraise the starting zone as being about 50-60% complete in terms of its terrain, design, bosses, and base mechanics (This is the green circle in the middle of the map, and is much much more developed than anywhere else, so I'd recommend just playing within there)

There are still a crap load of bugs, weak coding assets, sounds, and terrain that I have to work on. This is the first map I've ever made and committed to, so if anybody has any ideas for how I can improve it, please let me know. It's completely unrealistic that it'll be "done" and ready to have a save/load system by the end of this year, so I'm now shooting for the end of 2020. Praise wc3 reforged

Attachments

• Breath of Reforged Newest.w3x
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.