• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Brain Storming - Hero AI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
Hero AI Competition Idea

Went over it with Earth-Fury, HINDYhat and DarkDenizen in the chat, but we needed a place for more input, so here it is.

The idea is to make an AI that works with a preselected/created hero, and it has to battle another hero just like it. How you program the hero is up to you, Jass, vJass or GUI. It's all up to you.

There's restrictions. You can only react to stuff you'd be able to react to as a player. So no detecting orders on the other hero. Only stuff that happens on your own hero is allowed, like checking for buffs, checking HP and such.

Here's the Hero:
Life: 1075, Mana: 495, Damage: 46-46

Abilities:
- Mana Burn
Sends a bolt of negative energy that burns up to 150 points of a target enemy unit's mana. The mana combusts, dealing damage equal to the amount of mana burned.
Cooldown: 15 sec
Manacost: 100
OrderString: "manaburn"
OrderID: 852179

- Blink
Teleports the Hero a short distance, allowing her to move in and out of combat.
Range: 1150
Cooldown: 10 sec
Manacost: 75
OrderString: "blink"
OrderID: 852525

- Shadow Strike
Hurls a poisoned dagger at a target enemy unit, dealing 100 initial damage, and 20 damage every 3 seconds for 15 seconds. The poison slows the movement speed of the targeted unit for a short duration.
Cooldown: 12 sec
Manacost: 65
OrderString: "shadowstrike"
OrderID: 852527

- Healing Salve
Regenerates a target unit's hit points by 500 over 45 seconds when used.
Cooldown: 15 sec
Manacost: 100
OrderString: N/A
OrderID: 8526209

The game would be an elimination tournament, and the one that comes out standing is the winner.

We've decided to stay with one hero this time, but next time we might make one with multiple hero choices.

So, input away.

You're allowed to use all events except detecting orders, and unit begins casting ability.

Last edited:

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
First post updated with new values

I think from a testers point of view, that it's fair i demand that all AI's must have one thing in common. All should have the following function function <name>StartAI takes unit u returns nothing that i can use to start the AI so i can make a controllable test map.

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
You'll get all you need in a map when the contest starts. The map will be the form you deliver your AI in, and it has the hero, and all the settings needed. There wont be anything else in the map, because i feel an AI should be able to take advantage of any map. Or at least perform to the best of it's possibilities. That's why I've decided that I wont show the map the AI's are going to battle in before the actual test.

Level 7
> multiple hero choices.
Why "choices"? Why not having to make an AI that controls two or three heroes at the same time (maybe something like the three you get when you split the pandaren brewmaster?) - that would mean you have to make an AI that makes them work together etc.
Of course, keep it simple, with just one hero, with this first contest of its type.

> You're allowed to use all events except detecting orders, and unit begins casting ability.
Why? There's no point in not letting the contestants detect when the enemy casts something - adapting to what the other unit does is, in fact, the very important part in making an AI, otherwise it's just a bunch of linear orders you apply in a certain order.
Besides, one can easily bypass this rule by using other events (for example, if your unit takes 150 damage then the enemy casted Mana Burn).

Also, I suggest supplying the hero with some items. Obviously not permanent, but rather the one-use type. I think providing with a stun item and a Serpent Ward (with some low damage, but high range) would be interesting. You'd then have to make your AI decide whether to waste time on destroying the ward (thus letting the enemy heal perhaps or damage you) or keep pushing and ignore it.

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
> multiple hero choices.
Why "choices"? Why not having to make an AI that controls two or three heroes at the same time (maybe something like the three you get when you split the pandaren brewmaster?) - that would mean you have to make an AI that makes them work together etc.
Of course, keep it simple, with just one hero, with this first contest of its type.
We've already discussed future types of AI contests, so we'll defiantly be making more if this is a success.

> You're allowed to use all events except detecting orders, and unit begins casting ability.
Why? There's no point in not letting the contestants detect when the enemy casts something - adapting to what the other unit does is, in fact, the very important part in making an AI, otherwise it's just a bunch of linear orders you apply in a certain order.
Besides, one can easily bypass this rule by using other events (for example, if your unit takes 150 damage then the enemy casted Mana Burn).
The Begins Casting isn't allowed, since a normal human wouldn't be able to do that. The Starts an Effect is allowed, cause that's realistic. The detecting of orders is the same thing, a normal person wouldn't be able to see that either.

Also, I suggest supplying the hero with some items. Obviously not permanent, but rather the one-use type. I think providing with a stun item and a Serpent Ward (with some low damage, but high range) would be interesting. You'd then have to make your AI decide whether to waste time on destroying the ward (thus letting the enemy heal perhaps or damage you) or keep pushing and ignore it.
I brought items up once, but the general response was that we shouldn't have it.

I think its a very creative idea for a contest, but please make a template map, with one hero and one hero only, so that truly only the AI counts in battle. They should also have the same models. Plus whats the criteria? Just who ever defeats the rest?
It's going to be elimination tournament, so one vs one battles, and the one that beats all the others, wins. I already have a template map, with just the hero and the abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.