1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Units have been turned into heroes in our latest Icon Contest! Vote for the best icon set at the Icon Contest #18 Poll!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Books or movies?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by En_Fuego, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Paku

Paku

Resources:
    Resources:
    I like books but movies are awesome. But i dont like some movies. Like some of those lame computer graphics movies like shrek, and if my friends watch it then they go like "Awesome movie. Totally epic man!". But again books are longer and u can read them quietly without ppl annoying u in msn. So i think it's a draw.

But the uhh things what are 20-40 minutes long and there's like seasons own them all. Espessialy Black Books.

2. Emperor_Jackal

Emperor_Jackal

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I am quite picky with fictional books. The last two I read for fun was The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy and I Am Legend, and I read I am Legend a year before the 3rd Movie adaptation came out. Between those two books, I've probably been forced to read about half a dozen books for one reason or another. I liked THHGG because it was cleverly funny, and I probably ended up re-reading about a fifth of all the pages because of that. I enjoyed I Am Legend the book because it was not too long and horrifically detailed, but it had focus on a good plot.

With that aside, I prefer movies in general for several reasons. One, I am not imaginative enough for books. I can tell fully what is going on in a movie (The Godfather aside, I get a bit lost there) whereas in a book I can struggle to do just that. Two, movies are easier to get right whereas with books it is much easier to go wrong. And three, movies spend less time and get to the point.

There is no doubt a good book beats a good movie, but then an average movie beats an average book.

3. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    ? Shrek wasn't epic. It was funny, though.

I think that's an important distinction to make. Perhaps the question we should be asking.

4. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    it all depends.

5. HFR

HFR

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Correct. But movies are better in some ways and books in another ways.

6. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    There's a bit of both. There are many elements of books that are simply better left to your imagination, and there are many elements that you really have to see to truly feel. There are plots that are far too complex to be encompassed as a movie, and just as many that would be far too simplistic or boring to be written as a book. It really comes down to what you want to make.

7. WILL THE ALMIGHTY

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Books have better plot twists.

8. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There are some mediums that just can't work as movies ever.

Video games, for example. A visual medium, but such a vastly different experience than movies, which is why the movies based on the video games suck.

All of them. Every single one, without fail.

9. Deathcom3s

Deathcom3s

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I'd prefer books to movies, mainly because movies based on books tend to twist the way you originally thought of the book. For example, i can't read Harry Potter anymore without thinking of the characters from the movies, and in my opinion, my perception of the book was better than that of the movie, so it kind of ruins it for me.

10. arafor

arafor

Resources:
    Resources:
    Books are superior to movies for quite a few reasons:

1: They don't suck
    2: They make sense more than half the time
    3: They last a lot longer than movies relatively speaking(Shakespeare)
    4: You can remember the name of a book easier than of a movie that is like hundreds of other movies.
    5: You can hit people with them and they won't break

Nuff said Books for life.

11. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    i like your 5th point.

12. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Shakespeare wrote plays.

13. arafor

arafor

Resources:
    Resources:
    He wrote plays as well as books :/

14. HFR

HFR

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Actually, I like both. Sometimes I watch movies, sometime I read books...

15. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    Case in point Uwe Boll.

16. Billy the Cat

Billy the Cat

Resources:
    Resources:
    I prefer movies, but that is because I never really got pulled into the story of a book. Even though I'm now more trying to use my imagination, I always read just because it had to be done for school (yes, that problem). I was never good at using my own imagination when reading a book.

By the way, my favorite movies are the movies with great music, beautiful scenery and a lot of originality, and less based on a story. So I guess that makes it clear why I prefer movies.

I got bored of watching forgettable movies and reading forgettable books, so I decided to look for the ones cosidered the best.

I guess I just like to see and hear things. :smile:

17. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Indeed, and not even big budget films, like Doom or Resident Evil, can be spared.

18. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Okay, how about a movie that sometimes pauses so you can read it like you would a book? :p

I think of it like this:
    What do you prefer, real life or the internet?

But I wouldn't want to part with either or them.

19. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    That would break flow. When a person sticks a straw in another's head to suck out his delicious brains, you would end up drinking a lot less gooey brain juice if you had to take out your straw from the guy's head every so often and stick it in another person to suck. You would get less chances to immerse yourself in the oozing goodness of the human nervous system. You should choose a single person to feast on and finish before moving on to another. One delectable victim is reading, and another is watching. You should choose one and suck it dry before moving on to another for your meal.

Mmm...brain juice...

20. shadow3

shadow3

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hulu, an evil plot to take over the world.