• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blood Elves

The Blood Elves
Blood Elves v1.1
By Footman16
219951-albums6251-picture67529.jpg

Gameplay
To play blood elves go human and set handicap to 90%. Most Blood Elven units have mana and that mana can be used for an ability which can be unlocked or started with. Some units are expensive especially tier 3 units but you are provided with a cheap but efficient lumber harvester. Your abilities are neccessary for survival as you lack a direct siege unit.

There is a computer AI in place

Units & Heroes
You have 2 gathering units: the Worker (gold and lumber) and the Wretched (lumber and basic attack)
Your tier 1 melee is the Swordsman who can later use Mana Burn
Your tier 1 ranged is the archer but she has no direct damage or range upgrades rather she can also gain a magic spell much like the Swordsman
The Sunreaver is your tier 2 melee who mixes spellcasting and average melee to provide a stable end game and mid game unit.
Spell Breakers are a bit weaker but also cheaper in this one and have had their immunity changed.
The Crusader is your end game melee unit who is immune to magic and does high damage but with lower health than a knight he costs slightly more as well.
Priest and Sorceress are the same except they do chaos damage.
The Fel Engineer is a siege spellcaster, he uses spells to do long range damage to buildings and units. He can also gain the Mana Grenade ability but this is very expensive.
The Dragonhawk Rider is your standard air unit and is the same as before.
The Phoenix is your tier 3 air unit with a high magic damage but can only attack land.

The Blood Knight is similar to the Paladin in role but his spells are vastly different in that they are more offensive but can aid his allies.
The Magister is an intelligence hero who uses spells and auras to enhance your troops.
The Councillor is an agility hero who avoids damage but also has some anti-enemy spells.
The Blood Mage is almost the same as before except with different abilities.

Design
The Blood Elves are designed with magic in mind and I thought that I would make a race who can only be defeated through anti-magic/mana and good use of stronger units. Some artistic license was used for the Councilor and Wretched so just imagine that the Wretched are enslaved by the Blood Elves.

Buildings
219951-albums6251-picture67527.png
Heroes: Blood Knight, Magister, Councillor and Blood Mage
219951-albums6251-picture67526.png
Old Units
219951-albums6251-picture67525.png
New Units
219951-albums6251-picture68309.png

I would like to thank: AndrewOverload519, Frankster, 67_Chrome, SinisterX, Nfwar, Elenai, Ket, Cavman, Skipper, General Frank, Mr Goblin, TheSlaveOfGod and CRAZYRUSSIAN for all your models and icons (if I have used your model/icon but haven't given credit then please tell me and I will rectify the mistake)
Keywords:
Blood Elf, High Elf, Race, Custom Race, New Race, Human, Orc, Night Elf, Undead, Altered Melee
Contents

Blood Elves (Map)

Reviews
15:55, 3rd Apr 2013 Orcnet: map updated, approved
AN ALL NEW UNIT!

The Annihilator is a very powerful anti-air unit forged by Blood Elven Artisans but it is also flexible and able to morph and lay waste to buildings albeit at the cost of it's anti-air abilities.

With this update also comes a restructuring of the buildings and units.

Level 4
People seem to forget reading that part about having to play Humans and setting the handicap to 90%. Try highlighting that bit more on your description. Or, you can also try using selections in-game instead.

People seem to forget reading that part about having to play Humans and setting the handicap to 90%. Try highlighting that bit more on your description. Or, you can also try using selections in-game instead.

If people aren't willing to read a little, that's not my fault but I appreciate the suggestion.

Level 3
I'm having some issues with this map.

sometimes when i play it the map will just bring up a dialogue box after about 30 seconds telling me i've been defeated.

i've been playing on my own with 5 ais. but even when i played on my own with no enemy pcs to try and find out what units the blood elves had the same thing happened

i'm playing with frozen throne version 1.26

any ideas?

I'm having some issues with this map.

sometimes when i play it the map will just bring up a dialogue box after about 30 seconds telling me i've been defeated.

i've been playing on my own with 5 ais. but even when i played on my own with no enemy pcs to try and find out what units the blood elves had the same thing happened

i'm playing with frozen throne version 1.26

any ideas?

Hmmm, that is strange I've no idea to be honest, it's always worked fine with me, my current computer can't work WE so I'll need to wait til I get on to my other computer to test it and see.

You can open the map up yourself and check out the triggers yourself to see if you can fix it before I get to it

Level 3
i wouldnt even contemplate messing with somebody elses work.

i'm in no hurry. let me know when you get a chance to look at it

Level 1
I'd love to say something about this project. The models are beautiful and the concept is very good, however i don't feel that the mechanics are very balanced. The Blood Elves feel very strong and the writing of units is bad. In regards to the writing, it is not unplayable, however the grammar is bad and the descriptions are lacking. For example, the Sunreavers can summon a Fel Beast, but on the Fel Beast's timer it says Water Elemental. There are many more instances of this and i feel that it drags the greatness of this project very much down.

I'd love to say something about this project. The models are beautiful and the concept is very good, however i don't feel that the mechanics are very balanced. The Blood Elves feel very strong and the writing of units is bad. In regards to the writing, it is not unplayable, however the grammar is bad and the descriptions are lacking. For example, the Sunreavers can summon a Fel Beast, but on the Fel Beast's timer it says Water Elemental. There are many more instances of this and i feel that it drags the greatness of this project very much down.

Haha yeah, my Blood Elves map is pretty bad, it's one of the earliest ones I made, right after the High Elves, however I gave the High Elves a complete overhaul whereas this map was intermittantly updated.

Maybe in the future I'll re-do it but for now it's pretty bad. Ideas like their anti-air unit are good and the Wretched along with the custom resources however like you said everything else needs a severe re-work.

Level 4
Trying your custom races out and found a bug: The Backpack research is asking for the Arcane Vault instead of the Warlock's Vault. This is really easy to fix, though.

Worth noting is that your defeat system is busted because upgrading structures count as incomplete.

I also somehow managed to crash, could it be related to said triggers, perhaps?

Level 25
Hi,
cool race. Could you upload the buildings with icons as a Blood Elf building package? They are quite useful for custom races in other maps. I want to use them in my map for the Blood Elf race since I only found good High Elf buildings on Hive.
I really like the custom units and buildings.
Here are some suggestions:

• Remove human workers in the beginning instead of killing them.
  • The workers have a weird icon. Why not use the standard Warcraft icon for Engineers?
  • Isnt' the Sun Stone the same as the Moonstone? Do they regenerate at night? What's the benefit?
  • Add Orb of the Sun instead of Orb of Fire. There is an icon on Hive. Give it the Feedback effect, so the race has a unique orb.
  • Phoenix seems a bit strong?
  • Why do Crusadors have mana? They have no abilities which cost mana.
  • Move Cloud research under the Dragonhawk Rider.
  • Burn of Arcane Guardians is Death and Decay and I think is far too strong for a regular unit even with only 1 %.
  • Why do workers have mana?
  • Summon Fel Beast has the Buff name "Water Elemental".
  • Summon Fel Beast is too strong. It can be used immediately and summons a unit which causes Chaos damage. You can attack the enemy base and just mass summon them and he has no chance.
  • Cloud research requires Human buildings and cannot be researched.
  • I cannot find the Magic Sentry research.
  • Use custom Blood Elf UI (found on Hive and looks awesome) and Blood Elf theme.
  • Add an AI script if it does not exist yet (I played against Orc).
  • Maybe rename Soul Trap into Drain.
  • The ulti Absorbtion says "Paladin" in the tooltip although it is a Blood Knight.
  • Death and Decay as ulti does not really fit Blood Elves maybe rename it.
  • No victory after defeating the final player.

I am not good at balancing but I think it is probably a bit overpowered right now.
I would add more race specific stuff which makes the race unique like:

• Give buildings mana and the ability to somehow refill mana of your units.
  • Allow units to transfer mana to each other.
  • They could collect resources with the help of mana.
  • Some unique mana regeneration process.

Every race in Warcraft III has some really unique features.

Is this the race for the Ultimate Battle mod or is there another one?

Last edited:
Hi,
cool race. Could you upload the buildings with icons as a Blood Elf building package? They are quite useful for custom races in other maps. I want to use them in my map for the Blood Elf race since I only found good High Elf buildings on Hive.
I really like the custom units and buildings.
Here are some suggestions:

• Remove human workers in the beginning instead of killing them.
  • The icons have a weird icon. Why not use the standard Warcraft icon for Engineers?
  • Isnt' the Sun Stone the same as the Moonstone? Do they regenerate at night? What's the benefit?
  • Add Orb of the Sun instead of Orb of Fire. There is an icon on Hive. Give it the Feedback effect, so the race has a unique orb.
  • Phoenix seems a bit strong?
  • Why do Crusadors have mana? They have no abilities which cost mana.
  • Move Cloud research under the Dragonhawk Rider.
  • Burn of Arcane Guardians is Death and Decay and I think is far too strong for a regular unit even with only 1 %.
  • Why do workers have mana?
  • Summon Fel Beast has the Buff name "Water Elemental".
  • Summon Fel Beast is too strong. It can be used immediately and summons a unit which causes Chaos damage. You can attack the enemy base and just mass summon them and he has no chance.
  • Cloud research requires Human buildings and cannot be researched.
  • I cannot find the Magic Sentry research.
  • Use custom Blood Elf UI (found on Hive and looks awesome) and Blood Elf theme.
  • Add an AI script if it does not exist yet (I played against Orc).
  • Maybe rename Soul Trap into Drain.
  • The ulti Absorbtion says "Paladin" in the tooltip although it is a Blood Knight.
  • Death and Decay as ulti does not really fit Blood Elves maybe rename it.
  • No victory after defeating the final player.

I am not good at balancing but I think it is probably a bit overpowered right now.
I would add more race specific stuff which makes the race unique like:

• Give buildings mana and the ability to somehow refill mana of your units.
  • Allow units to transfer mana to each other.
  • They could collect resources with the help of mana.
  • Some unique mana regeneration process.

Every race in Warcraft III has some really unique features.

Is this the race for the Ultimate Battle mod or is there another one?
Oh wow thanks for playing and the rating. This is one of my earliest maps and to be honest is very shit in my own opinion as you can tell by the number of bugs and oddities about it. So every unit has mana for the lore reason that all Blood Elves are magical but from a gameplay perspective can seem quite weird.
I am not familiar with the Ultimate Battle mod, someone ages ago once asked if they could use one of my Altered Melee maps for it I think, but I can't remember which one or if they ever did.

Thanks for playing and the rating, I might even update the map now since it's been so long :)

EDIT: also forgot to say the buildings are not mine; they are by SinisterX and were downloadable from Wc3C.net. I won't upload them to the Hive without his permission.

hm is he still active? If yes you could ask. Would be cool to see updates since it is a really nice concept for a Blood Elf race.
I don't believe so, and he doesn't have a Hive profile AFAIK. I think Ralle is in the process of sorting out the situation with Wc3C so the resources aren't lost forever :)

Level 4
Pretty good altered melee, sadly it seems to break both human and night elf AI and if you were to upgrade your town center without other buildings you lose instantly, but it comes with AI for blood elves and some changes to humans, so that's pretty cool and besides some tooltips being convoluted I see no problems with the blood elves. (Also, the blood elves cannot research the cloud ability, because it asks for the arcane vault)

Last edited:
Pretty good altered melee, sadly it seems to break both human and night elf AI and if you were to upgrade your town center without other buildings you lose instantly, but it comes with AI for blood elves and some changes to humans, so that's pretty cool and besides some tooltips being convoluted I see no problems with the blood elves. (Also, the blood elves cannot research the cloud ability, because it asks for the arcane vault)
This is another one which needs a major update.

My latest plans were to update the map with both a "melee" tech-tree but also a whole range of campaign units for someone wanting to make a campaign.