• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BlizzCon 2017!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
Did anyone ask for... VANILLA?

Lore:

And as it is BlizzCon and Legion is drawing to a close so must the next expansion start, and our next goal will be to fight the other faction. World of WarCraft Battle for Azeroth will be the next expansion in the game where the Horde will make a new front on Zandalar, seeking to align with the native troll tribe and the Alliance makes it home on the island of Kul'Tiras.

For the Alliance the main hub will be on the islands of Kul'Tiras, in a zone known as Tiragarde Sound, this is the seat of a very familiar family, the Proudmoore's and the house is led by Katherine Proudmoore, the mother of Jaina. She is in a feud with the two other main families of Kul'Tiras, Waycrest from the zone Drustvar and Stormsong who rules over Stormsong Valley. Other than that Katherine is also trying to defend her lands from relentless pirate attacks aimed at her kingdom. These pirates who have preciously remained isolated in their free city have grown bold and dare venture out to raid and plunder, where this bravery came from is for us to discover.

The Horde On the other hand, who will make their way to Zandalar will find that just as Kul'Tiras is plagued by infighting, so too is Zandalar. The Horde will land in Zuldazar, the capital of the Zandalari and the last safe refuge the empire has. Horde members will be greeted there by none other than king Rastakhan and his daughter who will help us explore a plot to overthrow the king. As if that was not trouble enough, we find a host of blood trolls who have come to thrive in the swamp filled zone of Nazmir, which was partially sunk into the water during the Cataclysm. Vol'dun, the final zone and dangerous desert will be the home of a fox-like race known as vulpera which we will need to befriend.

So why do we travel to these places, Kul Tiras and Zandalar? As we saw in the cinematic trailer, the Alliance is assaulting the Undercity and manages to force the Horde out of the Eastern Kingdoms. The Horde, desperate to reclaim their homes seek to gain a powerful navy and where better to find it than in Zandalar. On this island the Zandalari has built the largest navy the world has ever seen. But just like the Horde has lost their grip of the Eastern Kingdoms, so too have the Alliance lost their grip of Kalimdor. With Teldrassil burned to the ground the night elves have been forced to seek refugee elsewhere. The only place left with a navy that could get close to rivalling that Zandalar is Kul'Tiras and that's why the Alliance needs to seek aid from the houses of the island.

But in the aftermath of the Legion invasion the very planet itself has been damaged and Magni, the speaker for Azeroth gives you a brand new artefact amulet known as the "Heart of Azeroth" which is going to replace your current weapon. This amulet will serve as a massive source of power and you will build up its power using something called Azerite, a substance which is pouring out of Azeroth and contains the power of the Titan inside. Your duty is to gather as much of this substance as possible to empower your amulet which will also give nice improvements to your gear.

In the Battle for Azeroth we will also have the oppurtunity for new races, and when I say "races" you probably think to yourself "which two races will they add?" No, my new friend not two, but six. These new "allied aces" as Blizzard calls them will include the Dark Iron dwarves, Alleria's Void elves and Lightforged Draenei for the Alliance. The Horde on the other hand will receive the Highmountain Tauren and the Nightborne elves we encountered on the Broken Isles as well as the Zandalari trolls.

Gameplay:

As we finished with the allied races in the lore section we'll begin with them here. As I said there will be six new "allied races". But they are quite a bit unlike the races you know today. With all other races you can begin straight away when you buy the expansion, the blood elves and Draenei became available for anyone who bought TBC right of the bat and the same was true for every race that followed them, until now that is. Once one of the characters on your account has aligned an "allied race" you are able to play as said race and unlike all other races if you create a new character as these races you will start at level 20 as all of them lack starting zones. And while you are able to race change your character because maybe you're attached to your main or you don't have the time to put in, levelling a "allied race" from 20 to 120 will give you a new transmog gear to match your characters culture.

That brings me perfectly in to the next topic, the max level is now 120. The first 10 levels you will spend in the home zones of your island continent, for Alliance this is Kul'Tiras and for Horde it is Zandalar. Once you have dealt with your own island and reached level 120 the other continent will be unlocked doubling the content you may play through.

But when it comes to levelling it's a bit tragic that the game tells you to get out of a zone when you reach a high enough level. Blizzard wants to make all zones now to scale up to a certain level, so Silverpine Forest may scale between 10-60 and Eastern Plaguelands 50-60 so you are not forced to abandon a story you wish to explore because another zone rewards better xp and loot. Furthermore we all know the drill if you level an alt, when you hit level 58 you go to Hellfire Peninsula and level and when you reach 68 you go to Northrend, but what if instead both continents, Northrend and Outland scaled from 60-80. But this scaling is not really an expansion feature is it? It's more like a game improvement, and that's why that balance change will arrive to the PTR in just a few weeks.

You will also be able to join 3-player skirmishes not much unlike the ones we saw in Mists of Pandaria which will permit you to lay with any desired set of roles, say you want to play with three tanks, you can do that. The difference will be your opponent because while you have varied objectives that differ from time to time you will encounter three AI's that are supposedly far more intelligent than any previous AI who will attempt to complete objectives and try to stop you from completing objectives. And if you prefer you can match wit against 3 other players instead.

But along with these three man skirmishes we will also have larger 20 v 20 man raids, where you will attempt to crush the enemies fortification while at the same time building up a base to give your side resources and troops. A bit like a mix between the garrison and Ashran or like a modern version of the old Altarec Valley.

Lastly we have world PvP, many of us including myself feel trapped at a PvP server because that's where our friends play or maybe we don't want to pay for a server change. Now instead whenever you're in a capital you will be able to flag your character for PvP if you want, this will allow you to attack other players who are also flagged. But if you do flag for PvP, with risks also comes rewards as you will be eligible for bonus rewards spanning from more xp to more reputation and other useful stuff. This will also open up the possibility for adding world PvP events as prior it has been a rather useless idea as those players who are on a PvE realm would in the past have been unable to part take.

Last edited:
Level 22
WOW Vanilla will certainly bring a lot of players, maybe ones that left a long time ago back, even maybe permanently. I don't imagine it to save WOW and some people may be blinded by nostalgia the first time they play it, but it will bring a lot of players back nonetheless.

The new expansion just sounds so awesome. I dearly hope it doesn't end up like Warlords of Draenor. Blizzard for once must bring their absolute A game and make it epic. I can't possibly imagine they screw this up.

Level 24
The new expansion just sounds so awesome. I dearly hope it doesn't end up like Warlords of Draenor. Blizzard for once must bring their absolute A game and make it epic. I can't possibly imagine they screw this up.

You and me both, but I can't imagine that it would be more of a failure than WoD.

Level 24
Hyped AF, best cinematic they've ever done.
And that says a lot.

I'll have to agree seeing Saurfang knock Anduin to the ground was satisfying, we haven't really seen him enough. And Blizzard wants to keep it a secret regarding who blew up the enemy capital first but my guess would be Anduin as he serves the Old Gods. Well presumably at least, Il'gynoth said "The boy king serves at the masters table, three lies will he offer you." But then again I don't know, Sylvanas has never dealt the first blow in a war before, maybe it's her turn now.

I am kinda sad to see Azshara go though.

Well it's about time I'd say, we were supposed to fight her back in Cata which was quite a few years ago. But prepare yourself for the battle of your life, Mannoroth considered her the equal to Archimonde before she got infused with Old Gods steroids.

I actually can't wait to see how Zandalar will look like. @Kyrbi0 have you seen this ?

As a big fan of the elven races I'm fairly f-ing intrigued too. ^^

Level 24
Seems odd if she does.
She has no real reason to invade the Kaldorei specifically.

The orcs could be argued to have, but under the leadership of Saurfang, I can't imagine they would. I have many pre-made assumptions of Varok, but bloodthirsty ain't one of them.

However, the alliance have plenty of reasons to take back Lordaeron, which is why I think they are likely to strike first.

I would agree, it would be interesting however to hear a Alliance player give their view on the topic.

Level 36
Well presumably at least, Il'gynoth said "The boy king serves at the masters table, three lies will he offer you."

That most likely refers to Wrathion, rather than Anduin.

It is important to take from the original quote that it has a connection line between boy and king, boy-king.
I think this is significant because I think it refers to a "boy-king" and not a "king that is a boy", meaning a "Prince".
Anduin is a king, Wrathion is a prince. As his title refers "The Black Prince".

In Pandaria he shows up and entices both sides to wage war against each other, strengthening the Sha and ultimately
leading to Garrosh falling prey to the corruption of the heart of Y'Shaarj. Then he obtains the heart of the thunder-king,
giving him titanic powers, and then later he helps set Garrosh free from his prison. Leading to the events of Warlords.

He later goes on to become friends with Anduin.

His first lie is when he tells us he is the last of the black dragons, as we have evidence from Legion that there are others.
And his second lie is that he claims to be un-corrupted, there is a long explanation to this that I don't care to map out here.
His third lie, then, seems to be forthcoming.

As a side note, the acclaimed author of the fictional grimoire by H.P Lovecraft (which we know a lot of the Old Gods stuff is based on)
called "The Necronomicon" is the "Mad Arab" Abdul Alhazred". Know who else looks like an Arab who is likely mad? Yeah, that's right.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway. My theory is that neither made the first strike, but that somehow the Old Gods are behind it and that they made it
seem like it was the Horde. Because frankly, now that a portal has opened for them into this world. What more could they want
than the Horde and the Alliance going at each other's throats?

I love how this expansion caught me completely off guard, I was 100% certain it would be completely revolving around the old gods,
Azshara and be under water. But yeah, this expansion looks like a lot of fun, hopefully they will save the ultimate clash with the old
gods for the next expansion, using this one to steadily build it up even more.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
@Keiji
Well, assuming you are correct (which is not that unlikely)
Then Sylvanas is likely to be under the influence of the Old Gods and make the first strike.

1. The vision that Sylvanas saw when she committed suicide in Icecrown could be conjured by the old gods. There are many who speculated this in the past, you can find more details if you google around.
2. Vol'jin also had a vision to make Sylvanas warchief, which is a highly questionable choice. It also strengthens the first point a bit.
  • "Her heart is a crater, and we have filled it" - Il'gynoth
  • "At the hour of her third death, she will usher in our coming."- Il'gynoth
  • "So, your Alliance still endures. Longer than I expected, though she has already planted the seeds of its downfall. She is patient, that one." - Varimathras
While Varimathras speaks as if the traitor is on the alliance side, he was close to Sylvanas for quite some time, so it would kind of make sense that he talks about her causing betrayal, perhaps converting one of her sister over to the horde.

Level 36
The Sylvanas angle is interesting, but I honestly don’t think it holds too much water. She might be influenced, but I don’t think she’s under their control.

• "Her heart is a crater, and we have filled it" - Il'gynoth
  • "At the hour of her third death, she will usher in our coming."- Il'gynoth

I think it much more likely that this refers to Azeroth, rather than Sylvanas or Jaina.

Sylvanas is certainly up to something, but I’m sure that something relates to her desperate need for her Forsaken (and herself) to survive and prosper.

Azeroth has been “killed” two times already, and her “third death” is forthcoming. The first time was during the Black Empire era, when Aman Thul reached down and destroyed Y’Shaarj, creating a “crater” that leaked the life force of the world soul; this is why they constructed the Well of Eternity above it. To mend the wound. Her second time was during the War of the Ancients, when the Well of Eternity was blown up and turned into the Maelstrom. And the third time will, as thus, be when Sargeras stabs her, opening a “portal” for the old gods to come into this world again. Which coincidentally happens to be in Silithus, where C'thun likely lies in wait.

Speaking of the Maelstrom, if you look at the sky-box when you’re in Deepholm, you can see this, a “circle of stars”, and some ominous protruding stalks that nearly look like the tentacles of an old god. And what is the top of Deepholm, if not a crater that they have filled.

I'm actually thinking that maybe Wrathions third lie will be that the horde attacked Teldrassil, and burned it to the ground. While in actuality, he used his black dragon titanic powers to do it himself.

Level 24
I do like the Wrathion approach @Keiji but you're missing the word "will" in Il'gynoth's statement and Il'gynoth made that statement after MoP so nope those two are not the lies.

"At the hour of her third death, she will usher in our coming."- Il'gynoth

This can't really refer to Sylvanas, she has already died three times, Quel'Thalas, Icecrown and Silverpine Forest.

Level 21
Cinematic quality is excellent,when I first heard it was Horde vs Alliance again I sighed,but it actually looks decent

Level 24
I feel like the opposite.

Since Wrath it has been "NEW WORLD ENDING THREAT!!!!??!!"
Finally something else.

To be honest that's what I liked about MoP, it's nice to have one of those expansions every once in a while. But to be fair the cinematic trailer for WoD also looked amazing, so maybe don't take out your victories in advance.

Level 36
I do like the Wrathion approach @Keiji but you're missing the word "will" in Il'gynoth's statement and Il'gynoth made that statement after MoP so nope those two are not the lies.

They might not be, but the other evidence is overwhelming, at least to me.

Then again, if all three lies are forthcoming, well, that just makes it more interesting.

We'll just have to wait and see. I'm pretty sure their saving the full-on Old Gods war until
the next expansion after this one or something along those lines.

Level 4
Hello I love wow lorereading like i read it like twd comics and jp manga.

Maybe @N'zoth had risen from prison and corrupts the big tree, forcing Sylvanas to burn it in against Tyrande"s advices. As to the night elves lost their homes and signaling the Alliance that Sylvanas was deemed to have betrayed them but she only has to burn the tree and watch it to turn to ashes.

It could be Nzoth's plan to break the Alliance-Horde relations to start a war of heavy losses so that in the mean time, the naga empire rises up and forcing the Alliance and Horde to team up. It's so cool they would repeat a cinematic in clasic Wacraft Iii the scene that Medivh speaking that we are on blindingly fighting each other but this time, the lands pop out of tentacles, the sea throws up its monsters and naga creatures instrad of fel fire from the skies in the original cinematic.

This is now the 3rd Sundering showing off the old gods '....our coming,... it could be N'zoth for sure waking up.

Lets forget Wrathion for now, he has agenda and plans in Northrend. Also I dont see that Nozdormu will be along the scenery.

Level 24
Hello I love wow lorereading like i read it like twd comics and jp manga.

Seems like you'll fit right in with me then. ^^

Maybe @N'zoth had risen from prison and corrupts the big tree, forcing Sylvanas to burn it in against Tyrande"s advices. As to the night elves lost their homes and signaling the Alliance that Sylvanas was deemed to have betrayed them but she only has to burn the tree and watch it to turn to ashes.

I don't know that Sylvanas would decide to take her forces away from their homes just out of the kindness of her heart. I think if we want to see Sylvanas do something deeply emotional then Alleria or Valeera would have to bring it out, she obviously cares deeply for her sisters. After all she said this when she was a kid "I hope my sisters and I can grow up and get married together." I don't know how the other two feel about polygamy but maybe that's the a future story arch. :D

It could be Nzoth's plan to break the Alliance-Horde relations to start a war of heavy losses so that in the mean time, the naga empire rises up and forcing the Alliance and Horde to team up. It's so cool they would repeat a cinematic in clasic Wacraft Iii the scene that Medivh speaking that we are on blindingly fighting each other but this time, the lands pop out of tentacles, the sea throws up its monsters and naga creatures instrad of fel fire from the skies in the original cinematic.

This is now the 3rd Sundering showing off the old gods '....our coming,... it could be N'zoth for sure waking up.

I damn sure hope so, we've been waiting for him since patch 4.0.

Lets forget Wrathion for now, he has agenda and plans in Northrend. Also I dont see that Nozdormu will be along the scenery.

Murozond may be along, at least if my theory is correct.

Level 9
Battle for Azeroth is actually a very smart title if you think about it for an expansion,because

1 - There might more functions than just the Alliance and the Horde,hence the name
2 - And the logo sums it with that dark blue background(ahem N'Zoth)
3 - Azshara is a raid tier boss???? im not sure about that(tier boss) but she is totally in. (ahem*N'Zoth)
4 - We have a "Titan facility on Zandalar where the Titans were experimenting with Old Gods and their magics" (ahem*N'FREKIN'Zoth)
5 - Water
6 - Azhara means that we will witness "the" Naga
7 - Azhara leads to N'Zoth
8 - Teldrassil gets leveled,and i doubt Sylvanas would do such a thing,probably Genn under the "old god" influence ,having him building anger against the forsaken land Sylvanas ,it makes sense for him to do this so that he can finally have his revenge!
9 - Anduin goes to war under the guide of Papa Genn
10 - Void elves (do i need to say more)
11 - Magni Notsobronzediamondbeard is going to play key role
12 - Majority of the fan base have high expectations for an Old god based story
13 - my opinion doesn't matter

dbK

dbK

Level 2
I don't know if I was so hyped about something than I am for Vanilla WoW from Blizzard that is going to be free. Almost unbelivable.

Also Battle for Azeroth looks pretty dope.

Level 20
I got strong RoC intro vibes from BfA.

It's almost guaranteed that while the Horde and Alliance fight, something bad will happen. I wouldn't even be suprised if the whole war turned out to be masterminded by N'zoth to weaken the mortals before he makes his move.

Oh, and since Azeroth is now a living being that the void entities seek to corrupt, it's also pretty obvious that the title refers not only to the war for control over the planet, but also to the battle for actual world soul inside it.

Status
Not open for further replies.