• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blizzard vs Relic (the escapist competition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Valve has essentially created 2 games on their own, Half-Life which is a classic and Half-Life 2 which is a quality and fun game, but can't compare to its predecessor half-life.

I feel that their modding community made their name for them and essentially buying that portal students developer.
All other Valve games have previously been mods actually.

Thats not a pro.

And of course Blizzard is better, relic is very known because of only like 2 games, all using nearly the same engine, due to be created in short period of time. Blizzard is doing games already for a long time, so they covered all periods. Dawn of war may have more entertaining standard games, but blizzard's are very moddable so custom maps bring more variety and extends the life of the game a lot more.

And after blizzard I would put Bethesda.

Level 10
Well, I think I have to make a better analysis to explain my point a bit more... xD

I like Blizzard a lot, they make very good games and, like Mechanical Man said, very moddable.
Relic, on the other side, is a smaller company, but makes high quality games too; its philosophy is also different: Blizzard tries to make 3 brands more perfect with the passing of the time (Warcraft, Diablo and Starcraft), but they are always the same thing; Relic is trying to make different games with a wider selection of titles but they are often imbalanced due to the innovations they always make.

At this point, it's a very hard choosing for me, so it's time to view it from my personal point of view: I prefer Relic's a lot more in this case. Sure, Blizzard's Warcraft III's WE is a great thing, but I've never been impressed a lot by the skirmishes (and Starcraft's too); on the other hand, I always liked a lot Relic's games and I prefer a lot more their features, factions (WH40k of course) and such.

Anyway, it looks like that Relic won in that competition: 3026 votes against 3012... a very small difference, afterall. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.