• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blizz announces Warcraft live action movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
To those who say that warcraft is a LOTR ripoff, it looks like you will get your opportunity to be proven right or wrong.

Here is the official story:
http://www.blizzard.com/press/060509.shtml

WoW is already the highest grossing game in recent history, with just about every warcraft game making game of the year and making countless millions, so it only makes perfect sense to expand the market to the big screen since there would obviously be a large audience for it. Smart move, Blizz...now lets see how you run with it.

Level 9
A real warcraft 3 movie would be sweet ass, this ill have to see.

One problem is that bliz are money hungry.

Level 5
Well its absolutely true that blizzard only cares about money but if they make a movie ILL WATCH IT NO MATTER WHAT IT TAKES I guess it would be really cool and interesting and every1 knows that blizzard games are the best :!: :D :D :) 8) 8) :p

Level 5
Blizzard doesnt have very many games to its name, but its already rich enough to rival Nintendo and Sony. ANOTHER thing...Many video game movies are being made, and should be out in either a few months, or a year. Surely uve heard of DOOM, the movie, well Halo the movie and Metroid the movies comin out, so either they want a game they made their fortune off of hit the big screens, or they want to increase awareness of their existence, i already said that they dont have very many games to their name, and most of their games r for the PC, so some ppl might not even know their existence. Trailers and commercials for the movie might make people want to get the game to see what it is like, and to get a taste for it, and the people who already play warcraft will swarm the theaters to see their favorite CPU game on the big screen. Im not sure if anyone noticed, but blizzard created an unnoticable global shockwave in a game that has more custmizable features than anyone can think of, PLAYERS CAN CREATE THEIR OWN WC3 SCENARIO!!!! Despite WOW, record sales, WC3 is still as popular as ever, and my fears that WOW will completely replace WC3, but the fact that its a subscriber game, where ppl pay each month to play it eases my fears. Either way, i think a movie will make Blizzard trillions, and its only a matter of time b4 it makes its own video game systems, like Microsoft did.

Damn i think i said too much, Emp.I off!

Level 8
Ive had the same conversation b4, about Bliz making a console. But I feel that if Blizzard is concentraiting on a console, they wont put as much focus into their games.

But anyway, ever used a game-maker program? I cant help wondering what a Blizzard Gamemaker program would be like. . ..

Level 5
Yes, i did use a gamemaker program, its called Warcraft III world editor, and im preety adept.

And about the "LOTR" ripoff, i think its more of a combo of a lot of things, Starwars, artharas is like anakin (and the names arent too far off either :p )Anakin and Artharas are powerful warriors and hugely devoted to the light. Artharas joins the dark side for revenge. He sold his soul for venegeance. Anakin joined the dark side to prevent his wife from dying, but his joining of the dark side killed his wife. ANOTHER THING...THEY BOTH DESTROY THEIR MENTORS!!! Ive never seen LOTR, but the orcs vs humans thing must seem too common, but the nightelves came outa nowhere! i mean WTF!!! Undeads? Burining legion? where also did they come from? and the treants? TOTAL ENT KNOCKOFF!!! I supposed the whole "living tree" thing wasnt origonal, i mean im SURE LOTR got the ents from SOMETHING!!!

Oh well, Emp.I out

Level 5
Well it sounds like many people will support the movie, no matter what it is, as will I. I think the WarCraft storyline as a whole is a work of art, regardless of what other works have influenced it. What I am wondering is what people hope/want to see in this movie project...our favorite heroes in a new adventure, or retelling the classic stories of the games, or an entirely new set of characters and events. The possibilities are endless. Personally, I think that if they told the entire story from the War of Ancients all the way to the WoW/Burning Crusade times, it would be awesome--mind you this would take multiple films. So what does everyone else think?

Level 5
im just gonna keep it short n sweet. I hope that the film is also aimed at the older 'viewer' (like LOTR) seeing as soo many have grown up with WC and that the film doesn't suffer the same fate as dungeon and dragons (that was too babyish and really bad comedy which was completely inappropriate).

Level 5
what people "want" is what they expect from warcraft. They expect brave "random" men :roll: fighting against the endless hordes of the undead (has it ever occured to you that the corpse theyre fighting coulda been the fallen soldier that fell by their side?). Or more orcs wailing on the humans. I would KILL to see the palladins "no pupil" face on the big screen! LOL! :lol: (look at the palladin skin and look at his eyes. HES A ZOMBIE!!! AAAHHHHHH :eek: ) We would also like to see maybe a large squad of huntresses lobbing shurikens at orcs, and the "bouncing glaive" thing doesnt seem very realistic. Id like to see a shuriken in an orcs chest though! iv seen too many arrows! AND YES, I KNOW ARROWS PIERCE CHAIN MAIL!!!
What would archimonde look like on the big screen? Does Cenarius actually look godlike, or a keeper of the grove? Its soo ridiculous!

What do people want from this game? Warcraft III

Level 4
Wait wait wait 1st of all how many movies are we gonna have, I consider that if they really want to show the mithology we need at least 3 movies 1s Azeroth creation, war of the ancients and the 1st war
2nd The second war and beyond the dark portal 3rd the rise of the scourge and the frozen throne

Level 4
All I have to say is, first off, Warcraft III is based on alot of different ideas taken from alot of different sources, and they meshed them all together in a mostly original way. (they sortof took the sword from the Sword of Shannara and the One Ring from LOTR and mixed them together to make Frostmoure, least thats what I think) But its okay because even though the background stuff wasn't necessarily original, the majority of the story was. (that covers the ripoff part)

And as for the movie, well I will see it if it looks good, I only see movies that look good no matter what its based on or who made it. So, if its good and doesn't look like crap, aka: the horrid computerizing of Final Fantasy the movie....*shudder* but knowing Blizzard and there amazing attention to detail, it will most likely be good.

(BTW: no movie will ever gross trillions unless the value of a dollar drops alot, I mean seriously) :roll:

Level 2
If dota made a movie, it would result in mass suicides not masses of ppl going to watch it.. :roll:

(Wc3's movie will probably be not as great as the game or seem kind of corny as do the books do i think, and if dota made a movie they would have an even worse time then blizzard and their whole map name would be probably ruined if they had reviews of it being such a stupid copy of wc3 with just changed tooltips.)

Level 6
I like the Warcraft story, infact, I love it. Classical fantasy tale. And big ass demons conspiring in the background. Lovecraft+Warhammer+LOTR+Pirates+Mythology+Native Americans+Stuff= HAPPINESS! (Warcraft)

However, I would strongly prefer a CGI movie. Blizzard knows how to animate, and I would strongly prefer it over real actors. As we know already, the few CGI movies made from games have been far more successful than the ones with actors, whom have been for the most part, corny.

I hope its not a movie about something we have seen in the games, since then they will probably shorten things and mix different storylines. Kel'thuzad sounds like a great idea (though in that case, the script for the movie is already written on the WoW site). I was thinking... Dunno what.

Level 2
Arthas sounds nothing like Anakin... The only letter they have in common is 'A'. And WCIII was made before SW Ep 3. So I HIGHLY doubt it.

Arthas is actually more like King Arthur and Frostmourne is like Excalibur, and Uther Pendragon was Arthur's father, and Uther was Arthas' mentor. Coincidence? I think not.

Personally when I heard about the movie I got a chill down my spine and a bad taste in my mouth. I love WC3, and the last thing I want to see is its good name getting ruined by corny acting, but CGI would be great. I hope they dont muff it up...

Status
Not open for further replies.