• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Development] BioMech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
BioMech [2D, Shoot 'em up game]

Type: 2D, Shoot 'em up
Platform: Windows (x86), Android (arm v7)

Overview
Hello people. Hope some of you still remember my Warcraft 3 maps called Steel Saviour. I`m making now a full Shoot 'em up game for PC and Android. I`m planing to make 8-12 levels, the game will have shop where the player will be able to buy different weapons and attachments to improve his ship.
Action takes place in the future in the remote site of a galaxy populated with alien race. This race has strongly developed the technologies and all aliens are cyborgs (biomechs), many of which are more similar to bio machines, than to living beings. Most of biomechs have been infected with a digital virus which has captured their minds and has provoked war between normal biomechs and infected.

Last edited:
Level 15
Cool. I think it would be better if you could include sound effects for your shooting and movement. Ovarall, from what i see in your video, you did a pretty good job on all the mechanics.

Plus it is also good to see Enemies in various movement.

How long did you took to make this?

Level 7
Can`t say how long, it took something around month to make a framework and map editor for game (first I was experimenting with spline interpolation, there were problems with ostsilyations and I have improved a little the cubic spline interpolation). There where 3 of us developers, but all work done by me except enemy sprites (1 sprite done by me), after they quit and the game has received negative comments on other website I allmost didnt work at the game. Recently I have undertaken to continue work.
Of course there will be music and sound effects, there was error with sound library so I had to remove the music from the game, I still didn't look for sound effects, but for sure I`ll add sound and music.

Last edited:
Level 7
I will just use OpenAL for Windows and OpenSL for Android. The hardest thing is level design, it tooks a lot of time because I want realy greate, interesting and atmospheric environment (it`s hard for me to think up something interesting). If I had a good artist, who could at least paint some sketches the work would go realy fast.

Last edited:
Level 7
I finaly made a new model for the main ship. That how the player will look like in the game. Later I`ll paint the model and make it more colorful.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• player_new1.png
    player_new1.png
    212.3 KB · Views: 391
  • player_new.png
    player_new.png
    293.8 KB · Views: 438
Level 29
You can use a newer version of MinGW to remove that pthread DLL dependency.
As to the other two - consider static linking for distribution, it's cleaner.

Is there a reason you are not using a game-oriented library like SFML/SDL2? it will make your life easier (e.g. sounds).

Looks pretty cool, good luck.

Level 7
I don`t see any problem to use OpenAL/OpenSL for sound. The thing is I didn`t work with sounds just yet, I just added music into first alpha version using qtmultimedia and recorded gameplay video with it, but it turned out that there wasn`t qtmultimadia library for Android. As for Windows, for some reason it doesn`t link, so I removed music. The sound are the only thing I didn`t implement, just because I didn`t look for the sound effects just yet. As for other things like graphics/windows, well i just don`t need any librarys like SFML, I`ve got all I need. I`m using OpenGL for graphics and WinAPI/Qt Widgets, when I started this project I already had some code samples I wrote before. For PNG images I`m using lodePNG library.
As to the other two - consider static linking for distribution, it's cleaner.
If I`ll use static linking I`ll have to pay for the Qt Creator I`m using.
Anyway thanks for the comment.

Level 7
I brought a couple of new screenshots. I`m planing to release a new alpha version in a month, but not today. A lot of time has passed since the last update. I was thinking of how to improve the gameplay, to make the game look better, to come up with new ideas. In the new version you`ll see new powerups, new abilities added to the one available (I mean the shield wich you can activate). Also I removed the pseudo regeneration of the health (armor) to make gameplay more hardcore, but don`t worry, the gameplay won`t become more difficult. Soon I`ll bring a few more screenshots.

scr1.jpg scr2.jpg

Last edited:
Level 7
Sorry, I couldn`t keep my promise. I`m still working on new alpha version and can`t tell when I`ll release it. Today I`ll show only a few new screenshots that shows new look of main menu and special effects. It is hard to continue work alone, especially when I don't know in what direction to move.
BioMech_2016-11-19_23-27-39-34.jpg BioMech_2016-11-19_23-51-26-46.jpg BioMech_2016-11-19_23-53-47-75.jpg BioMech_2016-11-20_00-05-27-68.jpg BioMech_2016-11-20_00-05-55-26.jpg

Level 7
Unusual requirement... Most people target at lowest Windows XP SP3 as Windows NT is very old and lacked a lot of features.
You know, Windows XP-Windows 10 are also from Windows NT series. It means that the game works on Windows from NT series. I specified that because there are also Windows RT series.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You know, Windows XP-Windows 10 are also from Windows NT series.
Windows NT is a family of Windows operating systems. However the family is very big, consisting of ~23 years of development. It is extremely unlikely that your game will run on the very earliest Windows NT machines.

It is recommended to mention the operating system version of Windows that the program is built targeting. For example Windows XP or Windows 7 or more recently Windows 10. This makes up part of the minimum system requirements.

I specified that because there are also Windows RT series.
Windows RT has been largely discontinued. The average person probably does not even know what it is.

Level 7
Except it will also run on Windows platform for x86-64 as well.
Of course. Do I need to tell that? But there is one important moment. Sometimes errors in the program do not appear in 32-bit version of Windows, but they do in 64-bit.

Or are you trying to tell us that it is using x86-16 so x86-64 versions of Windows cannot run it?.

P.S. As far as I know the Windows NT 3.1 is 32-bit and there is no 16-bit Windows NT.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Sometimes errors in the program do not appear in 32-bit version of Windows, but they do in 64-bit.
That will only happen if doing something wrong with the OS APIs, or if a driver bug is encountered (not your problem).

64bit Windows OS run 32bit applications in 32bit mode. The application is not aware it is running on a 64bit system at all, unless OS APIs are used that explicitly expose the underlying system architecture.

P.S. As far as I know the Windows NT 3.1 is 32-bit and there is no 16-bit Windows NT.
All 32 bit versions of Windows NT (except maybe 10) have full x86-16 backwards compatibility. Much like how all 64 bit versions of Windows NT (except Windows XP) have full backwards compatibility with x86.

However all 64 bit versions of Windows NT do not have backwards compatibility with x86-16. The kernel is not provided with or allowed to enter x86-16 mode on 64 bit versions of Windows NT. Hence a game like SimTower, which is written in x86-16, can be played natively on Windows 7 32bit but not on Windows 7 64bit. It is perfectly possible to run a 32bit Windows NT virtual machine inside a 64bit Windows OS and then run a x86-16 application on that virtual machine for near native performance.

A general rule of thumb is that on modern 64bit Windows OS a x86 application will perform identically to the same application run on the 32bit version of the same OS.

Last edited:
Level 7
That will only happen if doing something wrong with the OS APIs, or if a driver bug is encountered (not your problem).

64bit Windows OS run 32bit applications in 32bit mode. The application is not aware it is running on a 64bit system at all, unless OS APIs are used that explicitly expose the underlying system architecture.

Thanks cap, I know that)
But I can`t insure from mistakes. Anyway thanks for chat.

Last edited:
Level 7
All 32 bit versions of Windows NT (except maybe 10) have full x86-16 backwards compatibility. Much like how all 64 bit versions of Windows NT (except Windows XP) have full backwards compatibility with x86.

However all 64 bit versions of Windows NT do not have backwards compatibility with x86-16. The kernel is not provided with or allowed to enter x86-16 mode on 64 bit versions of Windows NT. Hence a game like SimTower, which is written in x86-16, can be played natively on Windows 7 32bit but not on Windows 7 64bit. It is perfectly possible to run a 32bit Windows NT virtual machine inside a 64bit Windows OS and then run a x86-16 application on that virtual machine for near native performance.

A general rule of thumb is that on modern 64bit Windows OS a x86 application will perform identically to the same application run on the 32bit version of the same OS.
But that is for DOS compability.

Level 7
New Enemies Look

The last month work has gone quicker. I replaced the old enemies with the new ones and that`s how they look now.

This guy is an old model, but I repainted it a little
m11.png m12.png m13.png

The following are all new models
m21.png m22.png m23.png m31.png m32.png m33.png

This two aren`t finished yet.
s12.png s11.png m4.png

The following are an old model and it isn`t finished and abandond. I don`t know should I relly finish it and add to the game, it doesn`t look good from the side. I you like than I`ll add it.
fm.png

And thats the first version of the player, maybe I`ll add it to the game as an enemy. I don`t know if I should or not, it looks somewhat strange.
player0.png player01.png
That`s all for now.

Last edited:
Level 7
Last time I was working on some optimizations. The game was running very slow at my smartphone, so I decided to do something about it. It took some time and when I finished I finaly started redesigning my game. I replaced some decorations on my space station and now continue my work. Here some screenshots, hope you will like.

ss_border5.png ss_border5_1.png ss_border5_2.png ss_wall2.png ss_wall2_1.png ss_wall2_2.png ss_wall2_3.pngss_wall2_4.png

I still experiment with color scale, the station will look something like this.

01.png 1.png 3.png 4.png

It still lacks of detail, but I`m working on it. Later I`ll add some lites.

Level 7
Too hard to make game like this alone (almost, another guy making music), but I'm doing my best. For now I improve location design. There will be only 3 locations and short intermediate locations. Alot of work optimizing the game for smartphones, video memory isnt enought. This year I made some graphics improvements like light probes and fake shadows (you can see then on the last screenshot). Also I whant to make a new model of player ship and alot new enemy types. Hope to release a demo this year.

megacity1.jpg

megacity2.jpg spacestation1.jpg cave.jpg spacestation2.jpg

Last edited:
Level 7
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since the last update. I dropped this project in 2018 to switch to another project hoping some day to return to it and finish but I ended only adding small source code updates and wasting time.
As I am in Ukraine and can die because of explosion of russian missiles at any time now, providing what I've already done.
Take care of yourself and live each day as the last one.

Windows Build (win32):
Windows Build

Android Build (ver. 4.4.2):
Android Build

#StopRussia
#StopPutin
#StopWar
#StandWithUkraine
#NATO_CloseTheSky

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.