1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Join other hivers in a friendly concept-art contest. The contestants have to create a genie coming out of its container. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Melee Mapping Contest #4: 2v2 - Results are out! Step by to congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We're hosting the 15th Mini-Mapping Contest with YouTuber Abelhawk! The contestants are to create a custom map that uses the hidden content within Warcraft 3 or is inspired by any of the many secrets within the game.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 20th iteration of the Terraining Contest is upon us! Join and create exquisite Water Structures for it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Between Two Shadows V2.2

Submitted by HelsingN
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Between Two Shadows v2.2

By Helsing

This is a mini-campaign/Co-op that can be played with either one or two players. You're a traveling adventurer of a renown family searching for a family relic, when trouble breaks out in a couple of small mountain villages. If two players, then the hero's older brother joins the adventure. Work closely with your allies, computer and possibly human, to defeat the enemy. It's impossible to win with the sheer force of your hero. Don't expect to "clear" as this map is more of a siege map. The game is back and forth, but you win slowly by gaining ground and cornering the enemy. I feel you will enjoy the game more if you understand this from the beginning. This map is unprotected.

Features
[tr]
Small, fun campaign
Blizzard-style
Two player compatible
Unpredictable enemies
Bound to instill fear

Screenshots
[tr]
[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Credits
[tr]
Eternal Epix, Tranqui,67chrome, -Grendel, GUNNER, PeeKay, and b17rider

Changelog
[tr]

Increased the health of some undead
Fixed a huge bug with the leeching aura being applied to more units than it should.
Lowered the cost of black market items.
Increased bash damage.

Reduced the frequency of waves to make it easier to explore
Increased difficulty
Number of undead reduced, but an additional boss was added
Gold cost of some items reduced

New Item shop with some rather risky items
Trolls overhauled
Fixed Bash bug causing allies to distrust the player!
Slightly increased the number of zombies
Increased gold cost of items
Other minor fixes

Dark Green can now be played without Orange as a single player hardmode.
Rebalanced mana regeneration to make Dark Green playable(might be too good for a hardmode now actually)
Tooltip updates.
Minor balance changes regarding items.

Fixed bugs preventing player 2 to play or causing them to disconnect.
Fixed rare bug causing the hero to not change color correctly when working with a certain item and facing a certain enemy.
Fixed quest related bugs.
Added new item.
Balanced old items, including the secret items that can be found with some detective work.
Reduced difficulty.
Buffed some sidebosses.
Added more items around the map.

Fixed a bug that caused the game to not end on victory occasionally
Clarified a few things and improved hints slightly
Minor balance changes

Terrain changes(made sidequest easier to access)
Side Quest now instead creates a new faction
New balance changes to accommodate new features

Limit to number of bosses(picked randomly from a pool of bosses)
Nerfed knight of pestilence
Buggy quest fix
Terrain adjustments
Game length now 20-40 min on average

New Bosses
New Items
New alternative win condition(not guaranteed!) with its own side story/quest
Bug fixes and balance changes

Item Overhaul
Balance changes(green now stronger than before, purple weaker, etc)
Graveyards provide more area control
Guards will now move more aggresively(still putting defense over offense though)
Bash now more relevant(Ex. Cannibalize heals more aggressively)

1.2:
Improved Ai
Minor balance changes

1.1:
Improved gameplay and added different paths of attack for npcs
Fixed trigger bugs that prevented allies from retreating
Improved Quests
Other small bug fixes

Keywords:
Single-Scenario Campaign, Co-op, 2 player campaign, RPG, Survival.[/tr][/tr][/tr][/tr]
Contents

Between Two Shadows V2.2 (Map)

Reviews
9 Dec 2014 StoPCampinGn00b: Map is fully functioning, follows the map submission rules and is recommended for players who enjoy simple single unit control maps. No rating given. Leave it to the user ratings.
  1. 9 Dec 2014
    StoPCampinGn00b: Map is fully functioning, follows the map submission rules and is recommended for players who enjoy simple single unit control maps. No rating given. Leave it to the user ratings.

2. Rex.

Rex.

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ok, I appreatiate your effort to create this game. However to get this approve, you have modify your description a-bit.
    Based on the rules:- Your description must have

a)Map title,
    b)author name,
    c)features list,
    d)short gameplay explanation,
    e)a credits list,
    f)screenshots,
    g)a changelog
    h) is your map Protected or not?

If you are still confused, pls used this program http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/map-description-generator-1-2-a-224558/

My suggestions:-
    1) Fix your descriptions
    2) Your quest log should have essential game details such as details about your hero, the background of the story
    3) When I must say, your gameplay is quite short! Try to make it more interesting!
    4) When I was going near the bridge, there are too many villagers run away! I got cramped there! Try to reduce the number of villagers running away from the zombies.
    5) One of your quest description is unproper like it is intercepting. Try to fix it.

Ovarall your map is not bad, just need a few improvements that's all! Some people said, "The game doesn't have to be unique, it must be fun and entertaing!"

That's all, I think. Good Luck!

StoPCampinGn00b: Double post removed, added to this post below:

And also refer to this http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/rules-information-710/map-submission-rules-228244/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2014
  3. HelsingN

HelsingN

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I fixed what you said and more. As far as the length of the map is concerned though, it already takes a good 20-30 minutes assuming you win on your first attempt.

4. Rex.

Rex.

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I still need to see your screenshot. No screencshot equals to rejection .

5. HelsingN

HelsingN

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  6. Rex.

Rex.

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Good just wait for SCN to see it.

7. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What a lovely comment this is XD

BTW there are 10 more maps before this one that I must assess in order in, so you may have to wait for a few days.

8. JCarrill0

JCarrill0

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I will review it for ya SCN, Soon(tm)!

PS - I love the hero model btw with the cape!

9. LordDz

LordDz

Resources:
    Resources:
    When I killed a villager, he turned into undead. Does that mean they're all undead in disguise and should all be purged?

10. JCarrill0

JCarrill0

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    WHAT?! How could you even consider that? There must be another way! - Uther!

EDIT: SO I started playing... I was somewhat disappointed he is not a hero class (you can make him a hero and cap the level at 1 BTW), but no heal ability? aww man :p
    I need to brush up on my skills a bit I died within 5 mins of playing lol (I never got any gold when killing the Zombies)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  11. HelsingN

HelsingN

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Lol xD you do get a heal ability later on. Until then you have to use pots/fountain/guard posts xD

About heroes, I don't know. It's scarier when you aren't a hero

@LordDz yea how would you consider that lol. Just keep them alive and the plague will subside!

EDIT: about the difficulty. I think it can be pretty overwhelming but you'll do good after a few tries

EDIT2: make sure to try with 2 players as well, it'll be even more fun but don't think it'll be easier lol

other than that you often just have to hold ground and kill tons and tons of undead until you can move forward to accomplish your objectives. It just depends on many factors such as how many villagers have died and how many zombies are active. I was playing it today and I felt overwhelmed the entire game, yet after weathering the storm I pulled through

12. JCarrill0

JCarrill0

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Did you get my Message I sent ya about the testmap I did for ya?

13. HelsingN

HelsingN

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yea, not sure why you want him to become a hero though

14. LordDz

LordDz

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's just one of those things I always test in games, that and standing in fire. You'd be surprised on how many games fail to hurt the player when they're standing in fire.. (New Vegas is one of them).

Also yeah, the heal on the guard posts, it would be nice if it was increased a bit and prioritied the hero.
    And... I have a vague feeling, is the terrain of this map from a template map?

15. HelsingN

HelsingN

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This map was inspired by a terrain template but has changed quite a bit since then, and credits were given. Everything you have encountered until now is intentional. The guard posts prioritize the lowest hp unit in the vicinity, and many villagers will become undead when they die regardless of who kills them.

In this game, you're not a commander or general or anyone important for that matter. Legion guard towers have no reason to prioritize you.

A big event is occurring around you, but you're not the center of it. The undead don't particularly care about you too much either(but will start hunting you down eventually).

It's a more realistic twist on gaming, where usually the player is a god that wrecks everything like its all good and everyone supports him/her all day. In this game, the hero plays a support role but also goes to do things only he can do.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  16. JCarrill0

JCarrill0

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    the story is about a Hero is it not? :p

17. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I've played the map twice and couldn't beat it. I've used greedisgood to see how the map would be if I had enough gold, it's definitely easier. The map seems bug free, but the gameplay is very monotone. Characters can buy standard items, and use standard-like abilities to defeat the undead repetitively. That's my whole time playing (besides the quests). The AI doesn't push all the way through (why not?) and returns back to base when no enemy is seen. I'm sure your aware of this, but it's simply annoying for the AI to turn back right when the zombies start coming. Even the enemy end base doesn't have much to appreciate. Sure you can creep some bosses for items that have nothing special, but overall the gameplay is lacking in execution and creativity. The terrain template you've chosen is a good choice for a map like this, I have no issue with the blizzard like terrain. It cannot exactly be approved in it's current state. 2/5. Map set to await update/needs fix.

Suggestions:
    Look to other mini campaign maps very similar to yours. Some of them have mini games within them to make them more appealing. These two are both rated 3.
    http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/take-me-v1-1-a-256123/?prev=r=20&status=g&page=4
    http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...743/?prev=search=survive%20custom&d=list&r=20

^
    (Please also know my review layout is different than those of a month ago with the point system)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  18. HelsingN

HelsingN

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I can understand if you don't like it, and rate it as you wish, but the map isn't broken in any way. I've played maps considered by many to be "amazing" like the iceborn campaigns, with all the fancy abilities and interface and I hated it. When I made this map, I wanted to go back to the basic feel of wc3.

It's not supposed to be played with greedisgood, and the ai isn't supposed to rush one base when it has enough units. There's plenty of legit items that aren't bland(except the ones you buy, and ones dropped from trolls). Unless you are used to crazy items that must surely belong in naruto battle royale or something.

However, I do agree the Ai needs to be improved and I am working on that now.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  19. JCarrill0

JCarrill0

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    As I had spoken before about making it a hero like wc3, but it seems perhaps your wanting a more Warcraft 2 feel to it then Warcraft 3. I even sent you a map about the suggested changes, but again they are suggestions, not requirements by any means. Its your map, I just review them.

I am still in the process of playing it fully before I give my full review.