• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Better Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hi,
I'm on this website since very little time and also i'm not a pro mapmaker but, like every newb, i have a lot of questions.
Also, i've learned in years of internet surfing, that the search button is your best friend in a Question and Answers-like forum.
Now, maybe it's just me, but i have serious problems in looking for something on THW:
Often, even if set the search on the Modding forums only, i have a lot of posts not related with the topic...most of the times i have to go straight for the 4th page to find what i need, other times i just can't find it (just to find the topic about that when i'm looking for something else)

I've noticed that if i search for 2 or more words the search system accounts for either one of the 2 words but not both on the same topic (which could be the reason of the problem above)

In a Forum where the main posters are people who need help with something, i think a search engine is very important. It would be nice if you can improve the forum's search engine, it'll make people ask less frequently the same questions

Level 22
Some pointers about using search:

1. The search does not combine words in the traditional sense of the word. It searches threads for multiple terms, but it does not look to see that the same post contains each of those terms. It does, however, support wildcards. What's a wildcard? Say you're searching for hero levels. Try entering this in the search box: "hero*". See the asterisk? (*) This tells it to search for all words that have the root of hero. So it will return posts with hero, heroes, and heros.
  2. A good option is to use the thread Titles Only option. That way, you can avoid posts where someone may have mentioned "heroes" and the thread has nothing to do with what you want.
  3. Search in the right section. Are you looking for a tutorial on how to do something? Search the Tutorials, Spells, and Trigger Code section, not the whole forum.

Of course, there is always Google. I.E:

sliding spell site:www.hiveworkshop.com

Search for the terms "sliding" and "spell" in the site "www.hiveworkshop.com"

Give those things a try.

Level 7
i see
what i meant is if you could implement a better search engine but if i remember correctly, Vboard is not open source so you can't edit the code (i may be saying tauren poo atm so don't take it seriously)
As for the rest, in my humble opinion, a search engine that doesn't check if a post contains all the words i'm looking for (Whatever if they are one next to another or not) is not a great search engine, and i always look in each single forum it may cointain the topic (usually "world editor help zone" and "Triggers & scripts"), still i have problems in finding what i need. The fact some posts are called "Help plz" or "a quick question" doesn't help either

Status
Not open for further replies.