1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ride into the sunset with the 32nd Modeling Contest. The contest is optionally paired. Best of luck, people!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Best way to move unit "teams" across maps in a campaign

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by Verdun, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Verdun

Verdun

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    So I'm working on a campaign right now, and it has a gameplay element that you "capture" units and add them to your team, when/before you move to a new map, you can pick a number of (non-hero) units to go with you.

I realize there are already basic cache tutorials, but if there is one that already adresses this specific scenario, I have yet to find it.

One thing I was considering was to have a basic "vessel" unit which would move across maps, and you just 'load' all the units you want to take with you as "cargo". I currently don't have access to my world editor so I wasn't yet able to experiment, but does someone have an idea how to do that? Or would there be a quicker and more practical way (like gather your units of choice in a certain area and make a trigger loading all the units in that area into the cache)?

2. DeadZero

DeadZero

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Perhaps a trigger that added units that were added as cargo to your vessel unit type to a unit group, (and removed ones that were unloaded) and another trigger that saved the units in that unit group to a game cache when the game ended? And of course a final trigger in your second map that spawned the saved units.

Would that work?

3. Warseeker

Warseeker

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Using a variable to store a game cache of units then reload or by using Transition sync.