1. The Melee Mapping Contest #4: 2v2 - Results are out! Step by to congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're hosting the 15th Mini-Mapping Contest with YouTuber Abelhawk! The contestants are to create a custom map that uses the hidden content within Warcraft 3 or is inspired by any of the many secrets within the game.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 20th iteration of the Terraining Contest is upon us! Join and create exquisite Water Structures for it.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Best of the Wurst 9

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Frotty, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Astrella

Astrella

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hmm, maps made with Wurst don't have standard JASS code in them when looked at them in the standard World Editor though do they? The reason I ask is cause I like people being able to look at my map and (maybe) learn from it.

2. Frotty

Frotty

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Wurst:
    Resources:
    Wurst writes the generated JASS into the war3map.j. The trigger editor data is not touched.
    If you want to publish your code, you should make a git repo with your wurst project, which is encouraged.
    I personally don't, but many people optimize their maps, getting rid of the trigger editor data anyway.

3. Astrella

Astrella

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah, I used to in ages past as well, but considering I learned a lot from looking at other people's maps myself I want to sorta give back a bit you know?

Thank you for answering all my questions though!

4. Robbepop

Robbepop

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    WurstScript is so simple, I've managed to learn it by reading through the manual in a single afternoon.
    Also its syntax is very similar to that of Python (telling that as someone who dislikes Python) which is used a lot these days.
    So learning WurstScript syntax is actually at least better than learning the super strange syntax from JASS or vJASS, not to mention the abomination that Zinc is.

Ah and btw. you can learn WurstScript really fast due to the near instant feedback of the IDE experience. It is simply put awesome!

5. GetLocalPlayer

GetLocalPlayer

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm unsure if I can ask here. What's about Lua? Will Wurst be gone then?

6. Frotty

Frotty

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Wurst:
    Resources:
    Gone in what way? We won't discontinue the project and almost all wurst resources are hosted independent from us on github.
    Is Lua even confirmed? As mentioned before, we might add a Lua backend if it turns out useful.

7. Robbepop

Robbepop

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Just tried to test my WurstScript with other players.
    Unfortunately WarCraft III is not able to read the map data ingame.
    This only happens after I run MapOptimizer on it.
    Do you know what could be incompatible with WurstScript and MapOptimizier.
    Btw.: It even happened with completely unoptimized maps (on WurstScript side).

8. Frotty

Frotty

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Wurst:
    Resources:
    No, and I doubt there is any since wurst just outputs regular Jass and a regular Map.
    Perhaps you forgot to link updated common.j with the optimizer.

The solution is simple anyway - don't run MapOptimizer. Wursts own code optimizations are far superior and the optimizer actually makes your code worse in most cases.
    Removing WE data etc. to protect is pointless but should be unrelated and thus work.

9. Robbepop

Robbepop

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    > The solution is simple anyway - don't run MapOptimizer. Wursts own code optimizations are far superior and the optimizer actually makes your code worse in most cases.

Ah okay I thought a combination of both could not hurt.
    Good to know!
    I will try that asap.

10. Robbepop

Robbepop

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Hey, I tried MapOptimizer without script optimizations.
    It still reduces the map size by roughly 30% and the map is playable again - thanks!

I have another question ...
    The other day I was trying to create some units using the UnitObjEditing module et. al. however, even though compiletime function was running and even created some legit output in the build folder, I couldn't do anything with those created unit types, e.g. I wasn't able to create them via createUnit.
    Can you tell me what I am possibly doing wrong here?

Edit:
    Third Question: Is it somehow possible to just edit some already existing units at compiletime? I basically just want to generate their tooltips depending on some encoded values since keeping those in sync manually is really painful. But besides that I like having them in object editor for all other stats, especially the graphical parts.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  11. Frotty

Frotty

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Wurst:
    Resources:
    Because it removes editor files and some other junk.

This isn't the right place to ask questions. You should open a new thread in the trigger & scripts forum.
    #1 Most likely you are using wrong ids or have different expectations of what's happening. Need more info.
    #2 You can't modify objects via compiletime and through OE, but I agree that preview for visuals is useful.
    We have a wip branch using vscode code lenses to provide similar graphical UIs, but it's not ready yet.

12. Robbepop

Robbepop

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Thank you for your response!
    I am sorry that I have posted in the wrong section.
    Will repost this in the correct spot and with more details.
    I guess you are right that my expectations of how this works may be slightly off.

EDIT: Done.
    [Wurst] - Compile-time objects are not injected into the map

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019