• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Best of the Wurst #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23

This is the second issue in a regular series of news posts about wurst and the wurstscript community. Unlike the previous issue, this one is short, and focused on this month's progress. We intend to use this format for all future posts.

What is wurst? Wurstscript is a programming language that compiles to JASS (the language used for scripting warcraft 3 custom games), and is developed alongside a suite of tools, which provide a coherent and modern modding development experience. It can even work alongside maps written in vJass. Wurstscript is designed to make hard problems easier and more elegant, and easy problems dead simple.

The theme of this issue is "wurstscript in practice", where we want to show how regular ordinary maps use wurstscript, instead of focusing on higher level language features.

Toolchain updates
  • The setup tool has been moved to a separate repository. It now checks for new versions of itself as well as silently checking for compiler and project dependency updates. To get these __critical__ new features, please do update your tool by downloading at the link above.
  • Unit Tests now have map-wide read access to compiletime resources. This allows the author to unit-test some behaviors that were previously not possible.
  • Added "hashtable mocks" for string data operations, which allows them to work at compiletime and in unit tests.
  • Bug fixes:
    • Fixed some edge cases where vscode autocomplete would misbehave.
    • Fixed a bug which caused the `buildmap` command to emit an invalid mapfile in certain cases.
    • Changing between files in vscode no longer causes an invalid buffer ("ambigious reference error").
    • Standard library fixes, and new features.
    • Fixed some rare cases of ascii-int parsing problems, which improves JASS compliance.
Special thanks to @DD_legionTN and @HappyTauren for their testing and contribution efforts.

Hiveworkshop integration

This month a number of us have been thinking about, and acting on, ways of improving unification between wurst's development and hive workshop.

One achievement on this front is the addition of the Wurst tag, now enabled for all code-related submissions. This includes:
  • Spell submissions.
  • Triggers & Scripts posts.
  • JASS (code) submissions.
8cbt68B.jpg

We were also excited to see multiple submissions before this was even announced!

You should expect further wurst-related activity in the near future as a number of community members are getting involved.

We're excited to see what you've done that might be fun or interesting but doesn't quite fit in the standard library - and even moreso interested to see what kind of magic you can work up in spell submissions. For code review feedback always feel free to tag @Frotty or @Cokemonkey11 .

---

As requested by our readers, we're going to include a code snippet example in our posts from now on. In line with this month's theme, here's a practical and simple example that shows how wurst can make an easy problem trivial:
Wurst:
package SimpleSpell
// Augments the Warden blink ability to deal damage to units in the target
// area.  Units with low enough health are instead slain.
import Assets
import ClosureForGroups
import EventHelper
import RegisterEvents

constant ID_BLINK = 'A000'

constant BASE_DAMAGE    =  100.
constant DAMAGE_RADIUS  =  150.
constant SLAY_THRESHOLD =  200.
constant BLINK_RANGE    = 1000.

constant EFFECT_POISON = Abilities.poisonStingTarget
constant EFFECT_SLAY   = Objects.nightElfBloodArcher

function onEffect()
    let caster = GetTriggerUnit()

forUnitsInRange(getSpellTargetPos(), DAMAGE_RADIUS, (unit u) -> begin
        if caster.getOwner().isEnemyOf(u.getOwner()) and u.isAlive()
            if u.getHP() <= SLAY_THRESHOLD
                u.addEffect(EFFECT_SLAY, "origin").destr()
                caster.damageTarget(u, SLAY_THRESHOLD * 2.)
            else
                u.addEffect(EFFECT_POISON, "origin").destr()
                caster.damageTarget(u, BASE_DAMAGE)
    end)

init
    registerSpellEffectEvent(ID_BLINK, function onEffect)

Then when the wurst compiler is run, the above emits nicely readable Jass (see below). This is just one example of wurst providing zero-cost abstraction, since the inliner would ultimately inline e.g. getSpellTargetPos into 2 local definitions - a topic we will discuss more in future posts.

JASS:
function getSpellTargetPos takes nothing returns real
    set getSpellTargetPos_return_x = GetSpellTargetX()
    set getSpellTargetPos_return_y = GetSpellTargetY()
    return getSpellTargetPos_return_x
endfunction

function forUnitsInRange takes real pos_x, real pos_y, real radius, integer c returns nothing
    call pushCallback(c)
    call GroupEnumUnitsInRange(Group_ENUM_GROUP, pos_x, pos_y, radius, ClosureForGroups_filter)
    call popCallback()
endfunction

function onEffect takes nothing returns nothing
    local unit caster_2 = GetTriggerUnit()
    local real temp_x = getSpellTargetPos()
    local real temp_y = getSpellTargetPos_return_y
    local integer clVar = alloc_Closure_2()
    set caster[clVar] = caster_2
    call forUnitsInRange(temp_x, temp_y, 150., clVar)
    set caster_2 = null
endfunction

Next month we'll return to a more hardcore example, demonstrating `@compiletime function`s + expressions, and their uses.

We look forward to your comments! As usual, we chat all things wurst at the #inwc.de-maps IRC channel.

Last edited:
Speaking of the wurst inliner, it is actually pretty amazing, for processing long chains of commands it can create a single function that no human would write and maintain, and wurst code would still be pretty to look at even though the emitted jass is very optimized. I think people who are skeptical of wurst's performance seriously need to check out how it deals with processing functions and vector math, which are all really fast, and the abstractions have little or no cost.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
I'm really quite happy with this post for a bunch of reaasons. Just to recap

* We really wanted to break the chain and get regular, monthly posts. This is the first step to that and went quite smoothly.
* Unification has been huge. It was never really my intenton to "recruit" hive users, but rather, just to inform. The interest (imo) been quite great, and I can especially thank Ralle for timely feedback and responses to us.
* Bugs fixed by new users and activity from old ones too. Cool! Testing loads of standard library stuff has never been something I had time for because my first priority was map making. Having people interested in showing the standard library to be high quality is huge.
* Blog themes seemed to have worked well. I'm pleased that we managed to write a month worth of content about 'wurstscript in practice'.

Please give us feedback on the blog format and the script example. Is the blog still at too high a level? What do you want to hear about?

> Speaking of the wurst inliner, it is actually pretty amazing, for processing long chains of commands it can create a single function that no human would write and maintain, and wurst code would still be pretty to look at even though the emitted jass is very optimized. I think people who are skeptical of wurst's performance seriously need to check out how it deals with processing functions and vector math, which are all really fast, and the abstractions have little or no cost.

Yes, it's cool. Optimisation and inliner is something we talked about for a blog theme maybe in the near future.

There you go. This is a simple dash spell written in about 60 lines of code, it can obviously be further customized. It also saves a reference from unit to the instance of dash (if ongoing) so you can easily associate units with their instance of a particular spell.

JASS:
package Dash
import LinkedListModule
import ClosureTimers
import HashMap

public class Dash
    use LinkedListModule

protected static constant TIMEOUT = 0.01
    protected static constant ABIL_ID = 'A000'

protected static let map = new HashMap<unit, thistype>()
    protected static let duration = 1.0

protected unit caster
    protected real dist
    protected int ticks

function durationOfLevel(int lvl) returns real
        return lvl * 0.6

construct(unit caster)
        let lvl = caster.getAbilityLevel(ABIL_ID)
        this.caster = caster
        this.dist = lvl * 400.
        this.ticks = (durationOfLevel(lvl)/TIMEOUT).toInt()

map.put(caster, this)

function process()
        caster.setPos(caster.getPos().polarOffset(caster.getFacingAngle(), dist * TIMEOUT))
        ticks--
        if ticks <= 0
            destroy this

ondestroy
        map.remove(caster)

static function onLoop()
        for inst in Dash
            inst.process()

static function onInit()
        CreateTrigger()
            ..registerAnyUnitEvent(EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_SPELL_CAST)
            ..addCondition(Condition(()-> GetSpellAbilityId() == ABIL_ID))
            ..addAction(()-> new Dash(GetTriggerUnit()))

doPeriodically(TIMEOUT, (CallbackPeriodic cb) -> onLoop())

static function ofUnit(unit u) returns thistype
        if map.has(u)
            return map.get(u)
        else
            return null

init
    Dash.onInit()

Last edited:
Level 23
Can I use WurstScript to create AI Files? I mean that can I write an AI file in Wurst and then compile it to .ai, and then import the final file to the map?
Wurst outputs valid jass and, as far as I see it, .ai files contain Jass code. So nothing should stop you from doing this, however there is no automated workflow available.
You can either define the natives from common.j in wurst code
Wurst:
native UnitAlive(unit id) returns boolean
and then use them or extract common.ai from mpq into project/_build directory and rename to commonai.j, but then you will get a conflict in Unit.wurst (fix by deleting native UnitAlive in commonai.j).
Then write code as usual, run buildmap command and you will get output code into _build/compiled.j.txt which you can copy into any .ai file.
Then import that file either manually or via wurst imports folder.

Level 23
Can I run it directly from WurstScript.exe? Somehow WurstSetup did not work for me, because my Windows 10 is in Finnish...
There was recently a bug fixed regarding installing. Please redownload the setup and try again. If the issue persists, PM me with the contents of the log from /Users/YourName/.wurst/logs/setup.log

If it is really because of the finish locale, we should address this asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.