1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 have revealed interesting works. The RESULTS for Abelhawk's Mini-Mapping Contest #15 have come out!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Night Rider gained several songs for his journey. The poll for the 12th Music Contest has started. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Best cavalry animal: Rhino, Elephant, Horse or Hippo

Discussion in 'Something Else' started by Xonok, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    We are used to thinking of horses as THE cavalry, but that's only because the others happened to be untameable.
    Imagine the horror though, of Rhinoceros cavalry. They are several tons - far heavier than horses. In addition they have a skin several centimeters thick, containing keratin and calcium. This has got to be the toughest natural armor any non-shelled creature has.
    Elephants are a couple times heavier than rhinos, but have a skin that is as thick or less compared to rhinos. Thus their main advantage over them would be strength, making them more useful for construction work and support than actual combat.
    Hippos are a little smaller than rhinos or perhaps similarly sized and also have very thick skin. I'd guess that since they are basically amphibian, they're not as fast on land.
    Horses, as anyone who's ridden them knows, are not at all durable. They have numerous ways to get hurt so basically the only things making them powerful are speed and size compared to humans. Compared to the other animals mentioned, they are not even all that big.

I say rhino is the best. If they had been tamed like 2000 years ago or so, they would have been the equivalent of battle tanks, leaving horses only light cavalry roles.

So in conclusion:
    Rhino - Durable
    Elephant -Strong
    Hippo - Amphibian
    Horse - Fast

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  2. San

San

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    i say firefox
    you know
    that one from boruto's dad
    big and furry and all

3. Naze

Naze

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hippos are generally seen as fat and sedentary vegetarians, that's exactly why so many people die to them each year, hehe. More than to lions or sharks apparently. They are territorial and actually run pretty fast (if I'm not wrong, about 55 kilometers per hour as I've seen on some tv documentary). If you google it you'll quicky see stuff pointing to their abnormal kill count/year hehe.

4. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  5. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  6. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I love the animations in that last video. Really makes fluid combat possible.

7. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What about lizards?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That's a dinosaur.
    Hm, I wonder about lizards. Being exothermic is pretty bad, so they'd only be useful in a hot environment. Perhaps they'd be better camels, but I don't see how they would revolutionize combat.

9. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  10. chobibo

chobibo

Resources:
    Resources:
    I never associated cavalry with just horses, our school's history subject included a discussion in classical age warfare.

11. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You are right and the rider doesn't have to be human:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Lord Alyx

Lord Alyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    triceratops, otherwise an elephant

13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What about snakes?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

or are worms better?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I prefer dragonflies:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

or even mantises:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Shooterman56

Shooterman56

Resources:
    Resources:
    fucking lol

15. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Those make me think of alternative movement. Jumping or skipping animals would give pretty nice advantages in difficult terrain.
    Triceratops is kinda like an upgraded rhino. Of dinosaurs there was also that one with a spiky tail.
    Snakes are somewhat questionable. They tend to have excellent climbing, but the rider might have problems with that. I guess the kind of warrior culture that incorporates them would train the snakes enough that they can act on their own at times. They wouldn't be all that important as mounts though.
    Mantises are a bit too fantasy for me. Scaling up insects has huge issues, so it's not clear what strengths they would have once that is done.
    Flying mounts of any kind would be quite powerful but also quite dangerous. When you fall off a horse you might break bones, but when you fall off a flying mount you're just dead. Whoever rides them would be a lunatic, but a dangerously powerful warrior too.

16. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Xonok you're actually serious. Why did you open this in Something Else then?

17. Lordlycan

Lordlycan

Resources:
    Resources:
    the problem with rhino's is mostly the same as with elephants, they are weak at the legs and they gain their strength from momentum which in turns is the reason why horses tend to be favored over them. It's not just about durability and sustainability. But speed and agility tend to be favored especially in skirmishes as well replace ability it's far easier to train a soldier to ride a horse and it's easier to train a horse. So in terms of losing units and thus economy in any type of warfare will be a point of discussion.
    Only on plain fields would an elephant or rhino truly shine. But even then they would be able to be countered by the use of horses. Sure both rhino and elephants are huge creatures that not only require a lot of supplies to maintain and can be scary for opponents but they are very hard to control especially in combat where it would be very likely to be turned against your own.
    If you lets say compare this to chariots who offer a similar military advantage but are far more easily replaced and maneuvered and have very little chance of turning against you.

Now let's say you have any other terrain then plains... a horse wins over either due to it's maneuverability... and it's wide range of uses...

But if you just want to look cool ride war and alpaca into battle nothing more fearsome than an animal with projectiles flying around

18. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Mammoths.

19. General Frank

General Frank

3D Modeling Moderator

Resources: