• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Belgarath / Gilles

Belgarath / Gilles: Whose terrain is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hive Workshop
Challenge Request

Instructions
1. Copy this form in its entirety.
2. Create a new thead in THW's Admin Contact or Challenge Submission forum. Title: Challenge Request.
3.Complete the information in each <field> below the underlined categories.
4. Do not alter the document in any other way.
5. Improperly completed requests may be rejected.
Challenge Arena Rules:
  • No memory leaks are allowed in triggers or scripts.
  • Challenge results must be bug-free.
  • Copy and paste techniques are not permitted.
  • No exports from other games are acceptable.
Challenge Theme:
Terraining

Challenger:
Belgarath

Opponent(s):
Gilles

Challenge Duration:
4 days

Proposed Reputation Award:
Gilles must decide

Challenge judging:
Poll

Model-specific conditions:
(Use the UTM models)

Other challenge conditions:
Details: Any type of terrain with any theme.

Now, Gilles only needs to accept!

Level 34
I happened to notice it from the main forum page.

I would be glad to go head to head with you, but could we hold it for a short time.? Maybe next week? I have exams.

For the rep, maybe around 5-10? How many can we submit? Can I submit around 8 or so? I have had an idea for a while now, and if you don't care how many, I think I'll do it.

Oh and slightly longer than four days? Starting next Saturday and ending the following Saturday perhaps?

Level 32
This challenge is approved, has begun and will conclude on 10 Februrary at 00:00 (GMT)

The theme is Terrain (any tileset/theme). Ultimate Terrain Map doodads may be included. Each challenger must post eight screen shots of their turf.

The reputation award shall be 10 points.

Level 34
Eight screen shots is not a minimum, nor a maximum. You can post one, or twenty.

WIPs are needed of course for legality. Can't go stealing work! ;)

2 WIPs for my 2 first scenes. I'm planning around 4-6.

Scene #1: Dead fisherwive's grave at a path. Probably died there.
Scene #2: The husband's house. Planning to expand this one further. It's just through the trees to the right in the first scene.

Attachments

• Challenge WIP Scene #1.jpg
    Challenge WIP Scene #1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 329
  • Challenge WIP Scene #2.jpg
    Challenge WIP Scene #2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 466
Level 34
Do you mind if I release hem all at once? Or should I do them over time. It's more of a surprise if I wait.

Level 34
I've given up on my original idea. It's going to take way too long. I'm just going to do one terrain. Here is a WIP.

It's taken quite a bit of time. It will take loads more. May not actually get it totally done, but it should be close enough.

The large building is one doodad pretty much, but I'm going to spice it up a lot with other doodads.

Attachments

• Rivendell WIP_3.jpg
    Rivendell WIP_3.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 864
Level 34
Way too bright!

I wasn't home Friday, or most of today (Saturday), but I'll have a finished screen by tonight.

Level 34
Ahh, I am just finishing mine now. It ends today, I will hand it in tonight.

Edit: Almost done!

Edit: Done! I guess I am late, but barely. I wasn't home at all Friday, so I couldn't finish it.

A daytime screen and a night time screen. I don't know which one I liked more.

Attachments

• Rivendell WIP_4 (night).jpg
    Rivendell WIP_4 (night).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 165
  • Rivendell WIP_4.jpg
    Rivendell WIP_4.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Level 15
How did you get such good lighting Belgarath? It looks awesome.

sorry gilles, i had to vote for Belgarath on this one, yours just seemed empty, you can't really tell that there was any tile variation and i see several floating trees. Belgaraths looked great, the lighting and everything just looked good.

Last edited:
Level 34

sorry gilles, i had to vote for Belgarath on this one, yours just seemed empty, you can't really tell that there was any tile variation and i see several floating trees. Belgaraths looked great, the lighting and everything just looked good.
Empty? Huh. I thought it would be anything but empty.

I used two. I scaled down all the doodads, and it looked bad when I changed the tiles because the area was so large for each square. You couldn't get a good tile variation.

Belgarath sure does have better lighting. Although I still say it's way too bright.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I probably will have to go with Gilles's terane as it is not as overly bright and shows interesting use of hils and custom models (to make some cind of acient stone villages/cities).

Gilles, the main critisim with your terane is the fact that the foreground seems "empty". This is due to you using trees to cover the terane so in the distance it looks nice and fully covered yet in the fore ground there are gient gaps. To fix this you should have put vegetation (bushes, grass, shrubs ect) at the really far front of the terane with them fading out as the trees become dense enough. That would really help cover the fact that there are massive gaps between trees close up.

Also
Challenge Arena Rules:
  • No memory leaks are allowed in triggers or scripts.
  • Challenge results must be bug-free.
  • Copy and paste techniques are not permitted.
  • No exports from other games are acceptable.

What the hell does this have to do with triggers?

Level 34
Thanks guys.

@DSG: I ran out of time. I know I should have added more. I may improve this terrain and re-post. I did add grass, but it's not enough, I know. Also, why is your spelling so off? Oh and you didn't vote for me. :p

Level 18
Gilles, When I looked through this thread and saw your WIP I thought it was really good, but idk it seems like you didn't really expand too much. It's a decent terrain but it just looks like your WIP plus trees. And although I know they probably aren't, the trees look like they are floating. I just think you could have done more probably more environment and just some more "life"

Belgarath, It's probably too bright, but I kind of like it. The terrain looks very natural and it's peaceful. I also love how the river seems to reflect the light. My vote goes to Belgarath. Good Job both of you though.

Level 34
Gilles, When I looked through this thread and saw your WIP I thought it was really good, but idk it seems like you didn't really expand too much. It's a decent terrain but it just looks like your WIP plus trees. And although I know they probably aren't, the trees look like they are floating. I just think you could have done more probably more environment and just some more "life"

Belgarath, It's probably too bright, but I kind of like it. The terrain looks very natural and it's peaceful. I also love how the river seems to reflect the light. My vote goes to Belgarath. Good Job both of you though.
I would agree with you. I was excited by my WIP, but got rushed and didn't finish where I wanted. I needed to find a good mixture of trees, add more shrubs and plant life, and get better lighting. As stated before, after voting is done I'll be improving it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I say to be fair, only the people who commented should be counted as votes, not the actual poll as currently I think random people could be voting for no real reason in it. However it is still up to you guies wether to count the actual poll's votes or the votes in the posts.

Next time make the poll public.

Level 34
Wolv you obviously aren't a terrainer xD
Edit: where are the screenshots? :\

LOL you voted for yourself Gilles!
After I voted, I actually thought about that post there. :p

Besides, I only said it was taboo. I never said I wouldn't. I vote for whichever I like most. I actually liked mine slightly more than Belgarath's. I was going to tell him he should vote for himself to even it, but he did before I said anything.

Level 8

I agree with this all except for the fact that I loved Gilles and voted for it, Belgaraths is awesome I like it too except for the lighting is almost like a extremly bright winter day, good job to both

Level 15
I agree with this all except for the fact that I loved Gilles and voted for it, Belgaraths is awesome I like it too except for the lighting is almost like a extremly bright winter day, good job to both

I like extremely bright days, it means the sun is out shining bright and will melt the snow. Which is good seeing how I have roughly 3 feet of snow outside my front door.

Status
Not open for further replies.