• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Battlestar Galactica Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I’ve seen a lot of Star Wars models up here, but I was wondering if anyone had any interest in making some Battlestar Galactica ones? I’m working on a map that would feature these units and some models would be very helpful.
The ones I would need are a Cylon baseship, Raider, Colonial Viper, Raptor and the Battlestar Galactica or Pegasus itself. There are several models on this site that could be used as bases for colonial models or substituted, but the Cylon ones are pretty unique. At any rate, these would be really cool for anyone to use and would be a big help for me.

Here is an overview of the Battlestar Galactica map. It’s a combination of diplomacy and elimination. At the start, players will pick their race (human or Cylon). Human players will then get a hero, a Battlestar, while Cylons will get a Baseship. These hero units will be the players mobile bases, which will oversee the mining of resources and fighter construction. Actual individual heros (characters from the show) are items on board your flagship, which provide certain combat, research or overall bonuses. Examples include Admiral Adama, Starbuck or Number Six. Adama grants overall combat bonuses, Starbuck improves Viper performance and Six undermines enemy combat performance and provides intelligence.
Most of the map is the void of space. It is a big map, but is made smaller through the ships FTL drives, a form of Blink that will allow you to get around the map quickly. However, resources are scarce and will be fought over.
A key element I am trying to include is the importance of positioning in combat. To that end, missiles will be able to be intercepted or shot down before they can reach their targets. Battlestars can fire barrages of flak to destroy incoming fighters and missiles, giving them a big defensive advantage (which must be counteracted by attacks from more than one direction). Cylons are weaker in this regard, as Baseships cannot do this, but instead have more fighters.
The political system of alliances has not yet been fully worked out, but will either be a team effort of Cylon vs Human, shifting alliance or pure elimination. This is not a scripted story, but rather putting the heroes and warships of BSG into a map and have players fight it out.

Regarding these models themselves... The star looking one is the Cylon Baseship, which is essentially a large battleship/carrier unit. It fires missiles and houses lots of Cylon raiders (fighters that sort of look like something Batman would use). The raiders and baseships are the units I need most as there is almost nothing that looks like them lying around here. The battlestars Galactica and Pegasus are the human version of baseship, essentially a large battleship/carrier. While I could try and be creative with regards to finding models for these, there aren't many that I feel would serve the role well enough. The Colonial Raptor (the yellow ship) is a support craft that scouts and provides fire support. The Viper is the human fighter that is released from a battlestar. These last two are of least importance, as I could find some Star Wars models that could pass for them, that said, it'd still be great to have them made.

If you want to see another one of my space themed maps, please take a look at "Galactic Conquest" - http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/maps/2347/

EDIT: early version posted: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/maps/7024/

Attachments

• basestar_cylon_mk2.jpg
    basestar_cylon_mk2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 9,812
  • cylon.jpg
    cylon.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 2,014
  • basestar-300.jpg
    basestar-300.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 860
  • evraidersc3.jpg
    evraidersc3.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 9,247
  • raider1.jpg
    raider1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 2,401
  • raider_cylon_mk2.jpg
    raider_cylon_mk2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,293
  • battlestar_galactica.jpg
    battlestar_galactica.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 2,166
  • Battlestar_Pegasus.jpg
    Battlestar_Pegasus.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 16,398
  • shuttle_raptor.jpg
    shuttle_raptor.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,126
  • viperfour2.jpg
    viperfour2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,776
  • 23_DDRS_01.jpg
    23_DDRS_01.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 742
  • battlestar-glactica.jpg
    battlestar-glactica.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 767
  • galactica_03_1024x768.jpg
    galactica_03_1024x768.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,146
  • viper_comparison1.jpg
    viper_comparison1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 22,443
Last edited:
Level 3
thares a 90% chance that they dont do it for u beleefe me i asked EVE online models like u no one replays and only 13 views

Level 13
Oh hey cmon now.

At least this guy:
-1: has a map that is in production
-2: has an honest intrest (I love BSG too)
-3: Is asking for cool models (not some fucking DBZ or Naruto lololzorz piece of crap, not that DBZ or Naruto are crap, but really they only fit one scenario in terms of usefulness).
-4: Provides numerous pictures.
*edit*
Oh, and Divine is right, write a book to us why you need these models, most of my requests end up being like 6 or 7 paragraphs of information on the models, the significance of the need, the map in general, info on what the models are based off of ect. (and most of those dont end up getting done)

Im just saying maybe we should give this one some thought. Perhaps i may back it up in the future, should i see that no one wants to help because of issues like post count ect.

Oh and to Lord Sauron, pictures of what your requesting is great, but it would be nice also if you had any screen shots whatsoever of the project.

Edit: and to the guy who wanted EVE online models:
#1: you have negative rep, people dont like that
#2: 36 posts doesnt give you much say in the community
#4: eve models are tough to make, as the eve ships have so many little details
#5: whether you like it or not EVE is rather obscure to most of us, and therefore is not that interesting
#6: its likely your request included enough information about what you wanted, and that is nobody's fault but your own.

Im just saying, modelers need alot of drive for them to go and take time out of theyre own lives just to help out one of a huge wave of incomming requests. Think about it.

Level 10
Thanks Massive, I've edited the original post to include some info on the map. Let me know if you have other questions (or suggestions!). I’ll post some pictures of the map when I go back home and have access to the file that I worked on over Christmas. It should be in a few days.

Level 5
Sauron I realy like ur ST:GC map, and I host it alot. I was wondering if you are planning to update it. Anyways BSG is my favourite show, so if you need any testers or anything just ask. BTW my b.net acc is: Maedhros_Feanor.

Level 13
Sauron, not everyone knows what maps you have made, why not add a few completed projects such as you Galactic conquest map's So that community members will be able to connect with your works.

Also, regarding the Viper, i think you should use a sized down Z-95 made by Illidan(X)Evil, as that is a small but good looking model that resembles what you want. Untill you get a real viper, i mean.

One more thing, i assume your BSG map will be a GC, how will you make this work ? as there are only a few seperated human forces that i am aware of and there is a large ammount of cylons around. Therefore most of the players would by cylon ? Im just a bit confused, and im wooried that im going to see cylon vs cylon wars or see 2 pegasuses duking it out... it would just kill the map for me.

An idea: why not set it right at the begining of the series ? where there was more than 1 battlestar, relatively few known cylons (so you could fit them into one player) and 12 whole colonys of humans (to make the bulk of the players). You may need to manipulate the story a bit to explain why 2 colonies would fight each other, but thats just details.

Level 5
BSG is probaly my favourite tv series, so gl with that and I hope someone makes u the models. In ur GC update can u pls make heros a bit stronger? And the AI tends to target them often.

Level 13
<Off topic>

GC has heroes and AI now ? Holy sh**, how many versions have i missed ?!
</Off topic>

On topic: More pictures:
galactica_03_1024x768.jpg

battlestar-glactica.jpg

battlestar_galactica_1.jpg

23_DDRS_01.jpg

viper_comparison1.jpg

viper5.jpg

Grr. this is annoying, i thought there would be more shots from the actual show, not this crap.

Oh well cant ever have too many pictures, i suggest adding these to the first post.

Level 10
Regular GC didn't have heros, but the Star Trek one did. I'll add a link to GC and some pictures from it so that people can take a look. For the actual BSG map itself, I'm currently working on units. You raise a good concern about the political nature of it. I haven't fully decided. At its simplest form it could be just the units of BSG fighting, but I could try and make it more scripted so that colonials and cylons weren't infighting and so on. I could look into making Cylons all computer and having 10-12 humans fighting them to defend the colonies, or a 6v6 player war. Let me know what you think.

Level 5
Well when I ment AI I ment the priority for heros was higher. Anyways, I think it would be better if there were 6 human players, all allied at start, each controlling 2 colonies. They can ally or unally. The cylons are the other 6, all allied.

Level 13
I like what you did in your StarTrek GC, especcially with species 8472 in mind. Perhaps you could do something like that with the cylons ? I say this because the cylons are:
A) (mostly) united under one banner with a few exceptions who help humanity
B) Sort of single minded in theyre relentless attacks against humanity
C) There was alot of time for the colonists to simply exist and squabble umong themselves before the cylons attacked, perhaps this could be shown by a timer that goes down into the time they are released.
D) the military is not divided by admirals or fleets in any way. They are killing machines and are totaly united for one cause, You dont see centurions or raiders bickering over polotics or the war or anything, so why would there be more than one cylon player since technicaly there is only one military leader of the cylons (Impetuous leader, or whatever they named him in the original series, Since he hasn't been said to not exist chances are he, or someone in his position still rules over the cylon's military, while society is left to those weird human clone like cylon people).

So basicly what im saying is:
1 powerfull cylon player who is not released untill a specific time, and 11 other human players, who can do whatever.

Level 5
Brown is the most boring spot. I think multiple cylon players would be great for 2 reasons. 1) more human error and 2) more noob friendly and 3) funner.

Level 13
I would hate having some whiney noob at my side screwing up all my plans. If you do make it possible to have more than 1 cylon player, at least let us be able to cut him out of the picture (by closing the slot) Personally, i would hate that too since thats one less player.

Level 10
Having one Cylon player is doable. What needs to be considered are the ultimate objectives and the nature of the war itself. First Cylon war? Second, and therefore the Cylons must try and to destroy every human colony. How do the colonies win? Invading Cylon space? Surviving for a set period of time? Battle points and leading to a draw? All of this will influence the player numbers. One way I can make a single Cylon player is to have him also control a computer Cylon who controls a vast fleet and will automatically launch attacks, since I've found that numbers of units aside, the other key deciding factor is number of minds directing attacks. With a computer player, that even things out. Thoughts?

Level 13
A computer player could be cool, but i want my own cylon fleet as well.

The colonies could have win objectives similar to those i PM'ed you with but with the addition of:
Cylon war:
Kill the cylon player in cylon space to win
Survival:
One or more humans live for a set ammount of time

Level 5
Personally, I think it would be great just to have 6 cylon players, but it would be ok to have 1 I guess. For the game, why not start it off when Adama destroys the stealth star because isnt that what made the cylons attack the colonies? It would be hard to make the thing where the cylons shut down all colonial fleet units tho.

You could have the colonies attackable, but only by nukes. So the goal for the cylons would be to nuke all colonies, and the goal for the colonial fleet would be to kill all cylons? Or make a mode where its just the Pegasus and the galactic, and you gota find earth?

BTW I was just wondering, did u have an idea on how to make the FTL drives?

Level 13
How about this:

Player 1 gets to decide if multiple cylon players are allowed. There, problem solved.

Edit: and would probably dictate which ones too. Or it could be done via voting, but people are usually dumb with that.

Edit2: or people would decide whether they want to by cylon if the host allows multiple cylons.

Edit3: FTL drives could be like blinks with a doubled range.
As for nukes, thats easy. Make a cybran basestar's secondary attack be a nuke that flies towards the planet.

The humans no doubt have nukes themselves, so same goes for final tier battlestar units.

Edit4: This is where we need to bend some parts of the story. Since we have all these human players, it would be really lame to have them lose theyre battlestars randomly.

OR, we could have it happen right after that, explains why there are only 11 possible human players as by then Caprica was nuked and occupied.

The number could also be lower for the humans by simply saying that in addition to Caprica the cylons bombed any number of the other colonies.

Edit5: That was just to abuse the edit button. Lol.

Level 5
^ would be complicated but good. Instead of player 1 make it host tho, I hate when im host in some game because I people expect me to be red... BTW Any update on ST:GC?

Level 11
i think even if you dont use it for your map, it would be a great addition for space models. BSG has some pretty awsome ships, and i think they would be a huge hit *even if its not used for a BSG map*. there needs to be some more cool space models because they can still be used for any old space map.

someone please make or atempt to make these models, they would be so cool.

syc

syc

Level 8
I was also interested in doing something Battlestar related and made a viper from Illidan(Evil)X's Z-95 Headhunter.
viper1.jpg

I also found some free BSG 3ds files but i don't own or have any experience in 3ds. I can however give the files and their source to anyone who might want to convert them.

Im just waiting for permission to upload the above model.

Last edited by a moderator:

syc

syc

Level 8
Sorry guys, I will not be able to post these models but i will work on some psylon models soon. Ill try and find some program that allowes me to create pollys rather than just move points.

Maybe someone else can take a stab at it. This is a really cool Idea.

Level 11
Level 13
Dude please PLEASE for the love of mankind release !

Edit: Illidan(X)Evil probably would not mind if you gave credit to him and thanks for the base model (Z95)

As for the battlestar, why cant you release it ? it looks preety damn original to me, I dont see the problem there.

syc

syc

Level 8
I was not given permission. I do not plan on spending days recreating what I already have created (modified) so if someone wants the free 3ds files I found they can just ask me for them. I do not have the patience to learn how to convert 3ds to mdx.

I have all major colonial and psylon ships in 3ds with textures.

Dude please PLEASE for the love of mankind release !

Edit: Illidan(X)Evil probably would not mind if you gave credit to him and thanks for the base model (Z95)

As for the battlestar, why cant you release it ? it looks preety damn original to me, I dont see the problem there.

Well the BSG used 40 or so pollys from his awing and I do not wish to be thought of as a model poacher. I have been in the game modding scene for 10 years now and I prefer to earn respect for the work i do, rather than have someone think i ripped someone off. So when I am told I do not have permission, thats it. Project scrapped. Im sorry if I got anyones hopes up.

I may change my mind later and get motivated again, but right now im a bit put off after wasting all my spare time doing those 2 for nothing.

I have no model editing software that allows the creation of new points ( I use War3ModelEditor and Vertexmodify ). but if someone knows of a better freeware editor please let me know.

Ok, Sorry to be spamming your forum :p Not intentional. I found some models free for public use. Since quite a few people would like them I decided to sit down for a few hours and figure out how to convert, import, texture and animate the 3ds files. I have uploaded it with credit to the origional author.

viper.jpg

viperig.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 13
Ok so thats cool but uh i cant find it in the model gallery, where did you upload this ?

PS: You used so little of the V-wing, im SURE Illidan would not mind if credit much thanks and a link to the model you used was given. This i am absoloutely sure of.

syc

syc

Level 8
They are up (cylon raider, colonial raptor, Viper MK II) but, not approved yet. But i just converted a base star, heavy raider and working on Galactica . So in the next few days we will have a fleet of bsg models thanks to Coxxon.

I don't take credit for these models btw. I just put an hour or two into converting and tweeking them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.