• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Battle for Azeroth: War of Thorns

bfawarbanner-png.392012

Elune-Adore, everyone. Introducing Battle for Azeroth: War of Thorns Remastered, a custom campaign that works exclusively with Warcraft III version 1.36. Originally released in 2020, this campaign is based on War of Thorns, the pre-patch event to the World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth expansion released in 2018. The pivotal events seen in this campaign paved the way for the bloody Fourth War. Followed by the sequel, Battle for Azeroth: Blood and Fire.

Features
  • 6 single-player chapters and 3 cinematic interludes
  • 2 brand new levels where you play the noble Varok Saurfang and the sinister Sylvanas Windrunner!
  • Hundreds of custom models, voice files and music
  • Reworked heroes, with reworked models and spells
  • Fully voiced, using a mix of official and AI-generated voices

divider-png.390761

bfarecap-png.392013

The Story So Far...

Following the war with the Burning Legion, the Alliance and Horde's forces were diminished. With both factions debilitated in their ability to reinforce Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms, the Horde came up with a a plan to secure Kalimdor and elicit a political crisis in the Alliance that would lead to their downfall.

After luring a majority of the Alliance forces to Silithus through misinformation, the horde seek to hold Darnassus hostage and use the political crisis to sow division, forever breaking the Alliance...

divider-png.390761

shot1-jpg.392017
shot3-jpg.392018
shot5-jpg.392015
shot4-jpg.392014
shot2-jpg.392016

FAQ
1) Have all levels been remastered?
Yes, nearly all levels have been re-touched in some way. Extensive playtesting and feedback were graciously provided by Lazarator, cleavinghammer and Lordul Dracula.
2) Why the remaster? Because the original release was plagued with bugs, unfinished concepts, and overall felt lacking in many regards.
3) Why is Wally in this campaign? Because Wally is a good dude who just wants to help out.
4) Is this campaign fully voiced? Yes! With the advent of AI / Voice Cloning technology, the campaign is now fully-voiced. It has its quirks, but it works!
5) Will we get to play as Sylvanas? Yes!
6) Is this campaign exclusive to Warcraft III: Reforged? Yes! This custom campaign was originally developed with Frozen Throne 1.27b, and has since been updated to the latest version of the game.
7) Where's the sequel? You can play the sequel campaign, Battle for Azeroth: Blood and Fire now!

divider-png.390761

goodwarcomic-png.390779

One of the issues people had with the original War of Thorns event was the lack of context of Sylvanas actions that led to the Burning of Teldrassil. To help rectify this, this campaign features two brand new levels which incorporate some of the backstory as seen in the novella A Good War by by Robert Brooks. This short story basically recounts the event from the Horde's perspective. The other new level is set in Zoram'gar Outpost, a base camp near Darkshore, which helps fill in the Horde's lightning-fast conquest of Ashenvale, the defeat of the Night Elf resistance and the advance towards the World Tree. Please enjoy!

divider-png.390761

Changelog

- Released
- Fixed game cache issue

- Moved assassin that was stuck under some tree roots and couldn't move to attack
- Fixed Lashers that were not set to Neutral Hostile
- Fixed a Forsaken base wall where units could walk through
- Fixed summon Skeleton model issue
- Made Sentries consume 0 food in Mercenary Camp
- Fixed Furbolgs not set to proper player faction
- Fixed Raiders that were not set to Horde faction
- Moved chest in Furbolg cave so it can be accessed by the player
- Tried to fix bridges with pathing issues
- Added more lumber for players in the second level
- Removed Tree of Wonders as requirement for several upgrades
- Fixed cache issue in one of the levels

- Remastered Edition released

- Updated several doodads with new models, including flowers, rubble, the resurrection stone, waterfalls
- New higher definition "splash" texture added

- Updated to be compatible with Warcraft III: Reforged
- Updated loading screens to be widescreen

- Fixed some of Sylvanas' animation during cutscenes
- Fixed standing corpses in Astraanar level
- Added proper death sounds to units
- Trimmed opening crawl in introduction cutscene
- Added custom voice acting to the entire campaign
- Fixed first few levels which were set to HD mode instead of SD (Changes added in 1/17/2024)
- Removed redundant shortcuts description in spells
- Tweaked experience gained and hero cap
- Created a new campaign thumbnail

Known Issues
  • Custom campaign is best played with version 1.35
  • Game may crash in certain levels, so save often
  • Sylvanas may get caught in terrain when using Sylvanas Slide
  • Campaign does not totally fix World of Warcraft's story issues

divider-png.390761

Special Thanks

My sincere thanks to Lazarator, cleavinghammer and Lordul Dracula for their playtesting and feedback! You guys really stepped up in helping make this campaign better.

Med. MapGuy (Original Creator)

Models:

YourArthas
YonatanDS
DreamHack
xYours Trulyx
eubz
Remixer
Kimbo
Cuore
MaoLi
Pyritie
Mythic
Sxar
Dark Hunter1357
Anvil
JesusHipster
Uncle Fester
Illidan(Evil)X
assasin_lord
Xardian
Deolrin
xorkatoss
dhguardianes
JetFangInferno
Geries
HammerFist132
kellym0
DCrimson
nGy

Icons:

Blizzard Entertainment
zbc
HappyCockroach
PeeKay
Marcos DAB
The Panda
The D3ath
Marenko
Anachron
Mullar
CRAZYRUSSIAN
Ceterai
The Panda
Mc !
-Berz-
PrinceYaser
Static
JollyD
Gwen Stefani
Darkfang
Blood Raven
kola
SkriK
General Frank
MadMax
Stanakin
CRAZYRUSSIAN
Murlocologist
Thorneon

Music:
Blizzard Entertainment
Previews
Contents

Battle for Azeroth: War of Thorns (Campaign)

Reviews
Kasrkin
You can't actually hire the sentries since they require food. More horde aligned lashers in this level. I don't know if these guys should be neutral/hostile or not considering there's one that is a part of the faction a little further down. Random...
Shar Dundred
A shame that the bugs are not being fixed & the author apparently went MIA again. Still, I would not say that the bugs make this unapprovable though it certainly feels like one of your weaker creations compared to others I have played. Approved.
Level 6
I've tried to locate the problem, I can't seem to find it!
Perhaps such a problem was caused by different patches of warcraft3.Some of us have kept 1.31ptr instead of 1.27 to play old custom campaigns.Unfortunately,1.31 had introduced tons of bugs including data corruption of w3v and w3p.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Okay, I found the problem. I originally named the game cache "Campaigns.w3v" which apparently isn't a valid name. I renamed it for all levels and the game cache seems to work now. Sorry for the inconvenience, a fixed version has been uploaded. Hope everyone enjoys the campaign!!
If your campaign uses transitions between maps akin to Rexxar's Campaign, then the filename should be shortened to something like BoAWoT. Currently, it's too long.

Level 6
I couldn't cross this bridge to restore HPs of my troops.Lacking enough healing methods,it had been a nightmare for me until I met Wally.

fb_01.jpg

I played this campaign in 1.31ptr, maybe the bridge works fine in 1.27.

Kasrkin

Hosted Project: LoA
Level 26
WoT1.jpg
WoT2.jpg
WoT3.jpg
WoT4.jpg
WoT5.jpg

Noticed this assassin was stuck under the tree roots and couldn't move to attack.

That one lasher is part of the Horde team.

The forsaken group did not switch over to hostile when my troops got near.

And you can walk through the wall.

One last thing the Captain's portrait doesn't always show up in cinematics.

Oh right, almost forgot, the presumed skeletons raised by the Forsaken necromancers don't have models so your units are only hitting a shadow on the ground.

Last edited:

Kasrkin

Hosted Project: LoA
Level 26

You can't actually hire the sentries since they require food.

More horde aligned lashers in this level.

I don't know if these guys should be neutral/hostile or not considering there's one that is a part of the faction a little further down.

Random groups of neutral raiders.

Can't actually get the health gem because of the furbolgs.

Most of my units can't actually cross the bridge, could only get the sentries and footmen and that wasn't even on purpose.

No wood man

Can't build an ancient of wonders for the upgrades.

The amulet grants an aura but not the stat bonuses.

Items and levels didn't carry over from three.

The quest text says he's a dreadlord.

I guess they ran out of gold? Not sure if purple ever attacked me.

Level 12
Honestly would've loved to play this. Does anyone have a cracked version I could use? Jk.

Still tho, I'm surprised you were still able to make a campaign of this caliber even with all the Reforged drama going around.

Level 4
Okay, I'll look into it...

EDIT:
I've tried to locate the problem, I can't seem to find it! I've uploaded a new version but I'm not sure if the problem has been fixed.

Is there a sequel of Battle of Azeroth where we can play as the Horde ?

Level 1
Hi,dear author
Sorry to bother you. We find a bug in this campaign. The player’s equipments in inventory at the beginning of chapter 4 will be substituted to chapter 2's automatically . Would you like to fix this asap?
Looking forward to your reply.
Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Level 1
Chapter 1 the bridge that leads to the 2 moonwells and a chest doesnt reach the other side . Its very hard when assassins have a powerful spell and poison attack
And my army is unarmored type with 0 armor
Smh when nightelf with no nightvision
The hero's first ability doesnt match here other abilitys . I suggest replacing first or 3rd ability with a heal wave
3 stars for me

Last edited:
Level 9
Okay, I finally finished it and I would have 10\10 love it if it had more chapters to explore more of the story's depth.
Like not being stuck with one faction the whole campaign but from all points of view. This is after all the beginning of the Blood War\Fourth War between Horde & Alliance.
I really liked your use of the models and the maps layout.
Other than the bugs mentioned by Kasrkin, I encountered a bug in the third chapter I believe where I need to locate all wardens. When I find the last warden, the map phases out to the warden camp and I can't control anything nor move my camera back. Also, in the final chapter, Malfurion died at the beginning but there was no defeat message. Probably because it only mentions Delaryn and Wally and the same chapter I noticed that Red's attacks are spawned and not built from their production structures.

My overall rate is a solid 8\10
Great job though!

Level 4
Okay, I finally finished it and I would have 10\10 love it if it had more chapters to explore more of the story's depth.
Like not being stuck with one faction the whole campaign but from all points of view. This is after all the beginning of the Blood War\Fourth War between Horde & Alliance.
I really liked your use of the models and the maps layout.
Other than the bugs mentioned by Kasrkin, I encountered a bug in the third chapter I believe where I need to locate all wardens. When I find the last warden, the map phases out to the warden camp and I can't control anything nor move my camera back. Also, in the final chapter, Malfurion died at the beginning but there was no defeat message. Probably because it only mentions Delaryn and Wally and the same chapter I noticed that Red's attacks are spawned and not built from their production structures.

My overall rate is a solid 8\10
Great job though!

Hey, please to meet you, just want to ask if Battle of Azeroth we can play as the Horde but as Saurfang or Thrall against Slyvannas ?

Level 23
I've actually played this months ago and I won't longer say the things that are needed to be fixed since the others already pointed them out. However, I'm just gonna say that I enjoyed this a lot like a lot, a lot. Though I had some troubles on the first map for the reason that the undead are so strong against my units lolz, especially those forsaken assassins.

I hope you can update this, happy mapping. :)

Edit: Also your thread is awesome!

Level 5
just started the campaign. i'll get right into it.... amazing cinematic to begin with.
Everything seem to be well thoughtout and very intriguing.
I started with lvl hard and quickly realized that it will be time consuming to proceed as there are no real healing options.
One scroll of healing and 1 restoration rune aint gonna counter poison damage and shadow strikes.
I tried to cross the bridge on the left of the city and i couldnt get to the moonwells. I guess this sounds like a bag as i have no other indication of a valid healing option..
(i played it 1.26 btw and 1.29)
Second point i would like to make are enemy circles.
I all the small poles and rocks and corpses prevent from microing to actual skill as they are everywhere
and enemy circles are to small to focus properly with ensnare to isolate and pull in favorable fighting potitions.
I usually give feedback after i play a campaing and focus on general staff. I think those small things can prevent and descourage someone
from enjoing or playing the campaign.
This is Just an opinion, dont count it as more than one. I will continue posting here

Last edited:
Level 8
Played this campaign this night, pretty fun, really enjoyed it.
All the bugs have been reported already, nothing else missing from what's been said.

what was with that Maiev cameo lmao, expected to see more of her for a moment

I tried to play this on normal difficulty on patch 1.30.4, but all of my units got low health and there was no way to restore their health. There were a couple of moon wells, but the path to them was blocked by a pathing bug. There was no way to access them. I did not want to use cheats so I quit the campaign instead.

Last edited:
Level 5
Excellent campaign, everything is good, terrain, custom models, and also the story that is based on the WoW lore, is accurate, but also it has your touch of humour with the main hero (Wally the walrus), it gives that funny spin to the story, that continues to the end of the campaign (how he bitch slaps sylvanas and the dissapears), loved it, great campaign
I only found one bug: the last mission doesn't load the cache from the mission 3, but loads the cache from the mission 2.
Played it on v1.24e

Level 1
I've played many custom campaigns over the years but this one is the best in terms of models , gameplay and just the overall feel it's simply perfectly done ! :)
It reminded me of the official Blizzard campaigns ( i realise tha it is the adaptation of Wow but still) and it made me register just so i could write a coment and rate it a job well done :)
I hope for more gems like this one keep up the good work
P.S. I hope someone from Blizzard stumbles on this masterpiece and deep down starts to feel ashamed for the potential they wasted in Reforged

Level 23
Ricox19, A lot of that Pre-patch event in WoW felt really grimdark, and I felt injecting an avatar of sorts was the right thing to do. Sorry about the cache bug, I thought I patched it recently? I checked the triggers for the game cache and they seemed correct...

NemanjaSRB, thanks! I felt a lot of WC custom campaigns retread the same old stories in the early WoW expansions and wanted to try to adapt some of the newer stuff. Wish I had more time to work in missions featuring the perspective of the Horde to really flesh out the material.