• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Battle for Azeroth: War of Thorns

bfawarbanner-png.392012

Elune-Adore, everyone. Introducing Battle for Azeroth: War of Thorns Remastered, a custom campaign that works exclusively with Warcraft III version 1.36. Originally released in 2020, this campaign is based on War of Thorns, the pre-patch event to the World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth expansion released in 2018. The pivotal events seen in this campaign paved the way for the bloody Fourth War. Followed by the sequel, Battle for Azeroth: Blood and Fire.

Features
  • 6 single-player chapters and 3 cinematic interludes
  • 2 brand new levels where you play the noble Varok Saurfang and the sinister Sylvanas Windrunner!
  • Hundreds of custom models, voice files and music
  • Reworked heroes, with reworked models and spells
  • Fully voiced, using a mix of official and AI-generated voices

divider-png.390761

bfarecap-png.392013

The Story So Far...

Following the war with the Burning Legion, the Alliance and Horde's forces were diminished. With both factions debilitated in their ability to reinforce Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms, the Horde came up with a a plan to secure Kalimdor and elicit a political crisis in the Alliance that would lead to their downfall.

After luring a majority of the Alliance forces to Silithus through misinformation, the horde seek to hold Darnassus hostage and use the political crisis to sow division, forever breaking the Alliance...

divider-png.390761

shot1-jpg.392017
shot3-jpg.392018
shot5-jpg.392015
shot4-jpg.392014
shot2-jpg.392016

FAQ
1) Have all levels been remastered?
Yes, nearly all levels have been re-touched in some way. Extensive playtesting and feedback were graciously provided by Lazarator, cleavinghammer and Lordul Dracula.
2) Why the remaster? Because the original release was plagued with bugs, unfinished concepts, and overall felt lacking in many regards.
3) Why is Wally in this campaign? Because Wally is a good dude who just wants to help out.
4) Is this campaign fully voiced? Yes! With the advent of AI / Voice Cloning technology, the campaign is now fully-voiced. It has its quirks, but it works!
5) Will we get to play as Sylvanas? Yes!
6) Is this campaign exclusive to Warcraft III: Reforged? Yes! This custom campaign was originally developed with Frozen Throne 1.27b, and has since been updated to the latest version of the game.
7) Where's the sequel? You can play the sequel campaign, Battle for Azeroth: Blood and Fire now!

divider-png.390761

goodwarcomic-png.390779

One of the issues people had with the original War of Thorns event was the lack of context of Sylvanas actions that led to the Burning of Teldrassil. To help rectify this, this campaign features two brand new levels which incorporate some of the backstory as seen in the novella A Good War by by Robert Brooks. This short story basically recounts the event from the Horde's perspective. The other new level is set in Zoram'gar Outpost, a base camp near Darkshore, which helps fill in the Horde's lightning-fast conquest of Ashenvale, the defeat of the Night Elf resistance and the advance towards the World Tree. Please enjoy!

divider-png.390761

Changelog

- Released
- Fixed game cache issue

- Moved assassin that was stuck under some tree roots and couldn't move to attack
- Fixed Lashers that were not set to Neutral Hostile
- Fixed a Forsaken base wall where units could walk through
- Fixed summon Skeleton model issue
- Made Sentries consume 0 food in Mercenary Camp
- Fixed Furbolgs not set to proper player faction
- Fixed Raiders that were not set to Horde faction
- Moved chest in Furbolg cave so it can be accessed by the player
- Tried to fix bridges with pathing issues
- Added more lumber for players in the second level
- Removed Tree of Wonders as requirement for several upgrades
- Fixed cache issue in one of the levels

- Remastered Edition released

- Updated several doodads with new models, including flowers, rubble, the resurrection stone, waterfalls
- New higher definition "splash" texture added

- Updated to be compatible with Warcraft III: Reforged
- Updated loading screens to be widescreen

- Fixed some of Sylvanas' animation during cutscenes
- Fixed standing corpses in Astraanar level
- Added proper death sounds to units
- Trimmed opening crawl in introduction cutscene
- Added custom voice acting to the entire campaign
- Fixed first few levels which were set to HD mode instead of SD (Changes added in 1/17/2024)
- Removed redundant shortcuts description in spells
- Tweaked experience gained and hero cap
- Created a new campaign thumbnail

Known Issues
  • Custom campaign is best played with version 1.35
  • Game may crash in certain levels, so save often
  • Sylvanas may get caught in terrain when using Sylvanas Slide
  • Campaign does not totally fix World of Warcraft's story issues

divider-png.390761

Special Thanks

My sincere thanks to Lazarator, cleavinghammer and Lordul Dracula for their playtesting and feedback! You guys really stepped up in helping make this campaign better.

Med. MapGuy (Original Creator)

Models:

YourArthas
YonatanDS
DreamHack
xYours Trulyx
eubz
Remixer
Kimbo
Cuore
MaoLi
Pyritie
Mythic
Sxar
Dark Hunter1357
Anvil
JesusHipster
Uncle Fester
Illidan(Evil)X
assasin_lord
Xardian
Deolrin
xorkatoss
dhguardianes
JetFangInferno
Geries
HammerFist132
kellym0
DCrimson
nGy

Icons:

Blizzard Entertainment
zbc
HappyCockroach
PeeKay
Marcos DAB
The Panda
The D3ath
Marenko
Anachron
Mullar
CRAZYRUSSIAN
Ceterai
The Panda
Mc !
-Berz-
PrinceYaser
Static
JollyD
Gwen Stefani
Darkfang
Blood Raven
kola
SkriK
General Frank
MadMax
Stanakin
CRAZYRUSSIAN
Murlocologist
Thorneon

Music:
Blizzard Entertainment
Previews
Contents

Battle for Azeroth: War of Thorns (Campaign)

Reviews
Kasrkin
You can't actually hire the sentries since they require food. More horde aligned lashers in this level. I don't know if these guys should be neutral/hostile or not considering there's one that is a part of the faction a little further down. Random...
Shar Dundred
A shame that the bugs are not being fixed & the author apparently went MIA again. Still, I would not say that the bugs make this unapprovable though it certainly feels like one of your weaker creations compared to others I have played. Approved.
Level 1
A wonderful company in terms of atmosphere, graphic solutions and plot, many thanks for your many years of work!

Do you plan to continue this story - BFA: Battle for Darkshore?

Level 4
Would prefer to give 4 1/2, however giving 4 seems low. Very good campaign, missions & items, however could be longer, which suppose is a sign that was enjoying. The story is dark and at the end am really gunning to kill Sylvannis, however since is based off a book, am hoping she gets hers in the sequel, as she is a total bitch in this one. Wish Wally had really killed her. Actually would of been good to not have any missions as the horde and played as night elfs & allies the whole campaign. At least the orc has a shred of decency, am not sure why he is siding with those other low lifes.

Level 4
One of the best Warcraft 3 campaigns I've ever played, you can see that the creator really loves what they do.

I haven't played much WoW, and definitely not any of the newer expansions, so it's really sweet to see story, especially in an RTS format.

Level 6
Hello,

The archer corpses in the first map are standing for me (it looks like the archers are alive, just paralyzed...)...

Is this a known bug?

EDIT: To clarify, I'm talking about the corpses in the first playable map. By the way, during cinematics, the main hero's portrait in the same map is periodically covered by something pink flying over their face for a split second... It's very distracting. That should be another bug since the portrait doesn't have this problem during gameplay. Only during cinematics.

Last edited:
Level 23
WarThornsUpdate.png

Custom Voice Acting Update Development
  • I started experimenting with ElevenLab's Voice Cloning tech a few months ago and the results were promising
  • While there are limitations, adding voices in a campaign added a lot to the immersion
  • I began work on adding voice acting to my follow-up campaign Battle for Azeroth: Blood and Fire (release to follow)
  • Began implementing voice acting to this campaign, War of Thorns
  • Small visual updates like standing corpses, Sylvanas having bugged animations during cinematics have been fixed

Clarifications
  • This campaign has been updated to work exclusively for Warcraft III: Reforged (v.1.36)

Last edited:
Level 23
View attachment 456866

Custom Voice Acting Update Development
  • I started experimenting with ElevenLab's Voice Cloning tech a few months ago and the results were promising
  • While there are limitations, adding voices in a campaign added a lot to the immersion
  • I began work on adding voice acting to my follow-up campaign Battle for Azeroth: Blood and Fire (release to follow)
  • Began implementing voice acting to this campaign, War of Thorns
  • Small visual updates like standing corpses, Sylvanas having bugged animations during cinematics have been fixed

Clarifications
  • This campaign has been updated to work exclusively for Warcraft III: Reforged (v.1.36)
Just out of curiosity, do you have plans to add voice acting to your Rexxar campaign Med.mapguy (and your others ones)?

Level 7
im having careful optimism with reforged, but i admit, this looks dope. nice to hear from you again med map guy. been enjoying it all so far!

Level 6
Hello,

I would like to signal that in the latest version neither the bug with the corpses nor the problem with the portrait that I signaled in my last comment were actually fixed...

I'm using the latest WC3 version. Didn't buy Reforged.

Level 23
For whatever reason on the download section, the "recommended version" to play my campaign is displayed as 1.30, when it's for 1.36.

Just out of curiosity, do you have plans to add voice acting to your Rexxar campaign Med.mapguy (and your others ones)?

Yep, I'm currently working on adding voices to the Book of Rexxar campaign, which will be followed by Joe's Quest Remake series.

I would like to signal that in the latest version neither the bug with the corpses nor the problem with the portrait that I signaled in my last comment were actually fixed...

This latest update only works for Reforged. If you're interested, you can grab a copy of Reforged now for 15 bucks as its currently on sale (at the time of this writing).

Level 6
This latest update only works for Reforged. If you're interested, you can grab a copy of Reforged now for 15 bucks as its currently on sale (at the time of this writing).
Is it too much to ask for a re-upload of the latest version that didn't require to buy Reforged (a concurrent re-upload with the current version of the campaign, I mean) :) ?

To be clear, I'm actually on WC3 version 1.36.1, it's just that I didn't buy the """"updated"""" models... Nor do I want to no matter the price, honestly.

Last edited:
Level 23
Is it too much to ask for a re-upload of the latest version that didn't require to buy Reforged (a concurrent re-upload with the current version of the campaign, I mean) :) ?

To be clear, I'm actually on WC3 version 1.36.1, it's just that I didn't buy the """"updated"""" models... Nor do I want to no matter the price, honestly.
Do you have some kind of modified wc3 local files or multiple versions of wc3 that could be conflicting with each other? Those are the only two issues I know of that could be causing you to have problems that others do not when playing on the latest patch wc3. I was just playing the first few chapters of this a few weeks ago, and did not experience the pink cinematic bug you experienced, and I do not recall any archer corpse issue.

This current version Medmapguy uploaded does not require reforged graphics, it just needs the latest version of wc3. He might even have it set to classic graphics only, since he uses his own WoW style of models, which might conflict with "reforged" graphics. Uploading multiple versions of the map would potentially create issues for people who casually want to play custom campaigns, since they will not necessarily know what the difference between the multiple concurrent map versions are (even if they are named "1.32+" and "pre1.32"in the campaign name, since casual players just want to download a campaign and play it without needing to know much extra information.)

Level 6
UPDATE: It seems that the bug with the corpses (at the very least) WAS actually fixed for the majority of archer corpses... But two of them have been missing from the bug fixing and are still standing... It's the first two that you meet in the map "A Disturbance in Ashenvale" - those that are standing among a pack of wolves. I saw them without checking the rest of the map and I thought that the problem was still persisting generally.

Do you have some kind of modified wc3 local files or multiple versions of wc3 that could be conflicting with each other? Those are the only two issues I know of that could be causing you to have problems that others do not when playing on the latest patch wc3. I was just playing the first few chapters of this a few weeks ago, and did not experience the pink cinematic bug you experienced, and I do not recall any archer corpse issue.

This current version Medmapguy uploaded does not require reforged graphics, it just needs the latest version of wc3. He might even have it set to classic graphics only, since he uses his own WoW style of models, which might conflict with "reforged" graphics. Uploading multiple versions of the map would potentially create issues for people who casually want to play custom campaigns, since they will not necessarily know what the difference between the multiple concurrent map versions are (even if they are named "1.32+" and "pre1.32"in the campaign name, since casual players just want to download a campaign and play it without needing to know much extra information.)
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've uninstalled and re-installed WC3 and nothing changed, those two archer corpses remain standing. As for conflicting WC3 versions, I DO have two separate installs of v1.27b, that shouldn't actually conflict with the main WC3 installation since they don't use the Documents folder...

Last edited:
Level 29
can anyone can provide with 1.27 version of the game please?
Unfortunately, this campaign has been updated to be ONLY PLAYABLE on Reforged (1.36). There is no even an older versions of this campaign for Classic 1.27. However, the sequel of this campaign, Blood and Fire, is still playable on Classic 1.27 (the custom VO version of Blood and Fire still requires 1.36).