• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Battle Mages -1.6.8f-

Update: The versions made between 1.6.0e and 1.6.6d are made by RushSecond, who was updating the map in my stead. I have resumed work since. See http://comclan.co.cc/forum/index.php?board=5.0 for the Battle Mages forum.

Battle Mages can be best described as a tactical battle involving only heroes and destructive spells. The goal varies depending on what game type you are using. Team Elimination is a team game where each player has X amount of lives. The last team standing wins. Deathmatch is a free for all brawl that ends when someone gets to X kills. Team Deathmatch is deathmatch with teams. Capture the Flag is self-explanatory. Assault is a double-round attacker and defender type of game.

There are currently 58 spells that can go into your 6-slot hand, as well as 16 ultimate abilities that are accessible from your ability card. You use your spellbooks to remove and add spells to your hand so that you can quickly activate them at a moment's notice. Spells are purchased at the shops at the top-left corner of the map, otherwise called the "base", the only place in which the two teams don't fight each other. Spells, in addition to gold, require spell points to learn. Spell points are gained by investing in your spellpower attribute, translating to 2 spell points per spellpower point.

The actual gameplay is heavy on aiming and dodging, and there are several unique or highly dangerous spells in each of the four classes: Fire, Ice, Lightning, and Arcane. Each class shares some similar types of spells, but they all have some unique things that make them have tactical value. Fire is great for dealing a lot of raw damage, but it all-too-often hurts your own teammates and yourself, and is generally difficult to aim correctly. Ice doesn't do as much damage as the other elements, but it has a crucial slowing ability that makes the victim much easier to target. Ice also has a couple abilities that completely freeze your enemies, but those are high-level and costly spells. Lightning is all about accuracy and speed, though there are a few special lightning spells that are slow and powerful. Lightning also possesses the ability to add "charge" to those it hits, increasing the damage dealt with future attacks if you can continually land hits on that player. Lightning is a well-varied element, but it is nothing in comparison to the range of uses found in Arcane magic. Arcane is very hard to generalize, but it is, in essence, both utilitarian and potentially deadly. From spells that form walls to a beam attack that deals mana burn damage to a couple homing projectiles to a holy bolt that heals friends and enemies, Arcane has a place in any strategy.

There are also hybrid spells available to those who wish to learn more than one element. This is a slower path, but is generally worth it in the long haul. To get a hybrid spell, all you must do is learn all of the spells of the same tier in two elements, and a predetermined one of your current spells will be replaced with a far superior hybrid version. There are five tiers of spells, numbered after how many spell points they require to learn. There are tier 2, 3, and 4 hybrids, no tier 1 or 5 hybrids. For all intents and purposes, tier 4 hybrids are regarded as ultimate spells; once you learn a tier 5 spell or tier 4 hybrid, you can't learn another. There are 18 hybrids to find, in total.

I hope you have fun with this map and its variety!

Keywords:
Battle Mages, Battle, Mages, Spells, Mage, Combat, Magic, Fire, Ice, Lightning, Arcane, Meta, Hybrid, Fighting, Crazy, Arena, Deathmatch, Team, Spell
Contents

Battle Mages -1.6.8f- (Map)

Reviews
Mini-Me: Nice spells. Good gameplay. Gets a thumbs up from me :).
Level 2
i played this map with my friends they find the map great and i too, for a beta map is this good.

nice spells, and Gameplay, but maybe add different models for the caster!!!

they do have different models? like -archimonde and -blademaster well in my opinion this is best spellcasting map warlock is 2 much about a good start i give it 5/5 because of so versatile spells and good arenas.

Glo

Glo

Level 2
This is one of my favorite maps and I'm glad you decided to continue it. But I don't really understand why the intelligence doesn't alter the max mana. That's one thing I liked about some other version. Now the max mana increases with levels, which truly is annoying =/. Also, don't like the new tile set.

One other thing, I'd prefer maybe at least one more arena for a few people, because I'm not a very good host and have lag problems with much people...

Anyways, good map, I hope the further updates will make the game more fun to play.

5/5 =P

EDIT: Please try to balance fire and lightning, waayy too much damage.

Level 1
Im assuming this is the latest version of the map?
Havent seen it since you were first designing the 3 original spell types XD

Level 1
Whenever I revisit this map, it never ceases to amaze me how this custom never really took off. It's much better than Warlock. Heck, I've only played Warlock 4 times with different people each time and I got first place every time. I don't claim to be a natural at games by any means... I suck at dota and I've lost in Battle Mages the few (VERY VERY FEW TIMES) I've played on BNET. Warlock just seems too easy. If a noob can win consistently it can't have all that much depth.

This map is extremely polished by comparison. Tons of skills and welded skills. Fluid map selecting system. Nice spell animations that stand out from each other and aren't just stock animations. Multiple game types. Random events (which I personally despise, but hey, it's another feature and can be fun to play with on occasion).

Really wish this were hosted more often... back when I was able to host I had trouble getting enough people to join and a lot of the time people would leave early on. Mostly ended up just playing 1 v 1 with friends of mine. I'd make the occasional acquaintance of someone who apparently used to play the map a lot (perhaps when it was first made and you guys tried to increase the popularity with tournaments? or just people who maybe played it with their friends) and that always proved to be fun.

Anyway. I'm eagerly waiting for whatever customs you make in SC2. I liked the idea behind PK too, but even compared to Battle Mages which was hard enough to get a good game going, PK was much worse. When I'd finally get a game of PK going, the phase killer most of the time had no idea what he was doing... a shame.

Level 13
I'm holding off on making a Battle Mages 2 for StarCraft II until I am absolutely rock solid on my abilities with the editor and its language. I want to get it as close to perfect as possible, so I'm going through different iterations of design on paper every month to get as close as possible to a winning combination.

Level 2
I, orgasm for this map frequently. I miss the days when spoofers worked, and abusing mike to become the 4 ultimate-ed god I was... that was fun... I may not have liked the new way ultimates work, but I'm glad that my riggedness was fixed. :D Buying multiple ults at once made it fun in a cheaty way... yeah. Still, I love your game, in any holes it has remaining. Frequently. Oh, and I absolutely hate the fact you've removed the ability to charge mana. Not as a cheater, but as a player. Thrust/push/whatever it is, is fun, but kind useless-ish for my style.

Level 3
It's like a simpler version of Warlocks... It's nice. I like that you can choose terrain, etc. I noticed that when i "buy a levelup" it said i could only have 6... but i did it many many times.
But overall, thumbs up
(PS, love the filesize)

Level 5
The :Spell's,terrain,idea's,gameplay allmost everything is so perfect, best arena map, seariously best, no commplain, didnt find any bug so far and thats weird :)

Level 2
A single thing!

Only one thing i dont like about this is the gold cost of the levelups.
Because they are so cheap, you cant use them up! If the price started at 1k gold, then increased by a set amount every time, or were set to 5k everything would be perfect! :)
4,5/5, but if you could do this, it would be PERFECT! :D

Level 4
now that someone has bumped it might aswell say that i hope that someone will continiue this epic map.

Necropost?

This is an amazing hero arena map. I learned so much looking at it in the past (v1.6.6)! It even sparked me to create my own projectile system (not uploaded to Hive). Favorite build is Lightning/Arcane, love Singularity.

One Issue: I remember being able to get to ultimate abilities at one point. Forgot how to do it though.

Is it bad that no one likes playing with me because I'm so good?

Level 4
necro nr2.
anyone inspired to create a map similiar to this? One of the most popular arena's up to this day.