• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Battle Chess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Battle Chess 1.0

Hello,
This is my first thread on this forum, so i'll start it with some explanations :
First, i've to tell you that i'm french, so please forgive my futur writing mistakes.

I'll now introduce you my current projet : Battle Chess
YoshiRyu said:
Map : Battle Chess 1.0
Concept : a humans vs orcs traditionnal chess game
Features : players 1v1, FIDE's rules, random start
Gameplay : left clic to select, right clic to move
Link : (2)Y-BattleChess1.0.w3x

bcshot10.jpg

I hope you'll have a lot of fun playing Battle Chess

Attachments

• (2)Y-BattleChess1.0.w3x
    280.3 KB · Views: 672
Last edited:
Level 35
Level 9
Thanks,

it's a real chess game where the two player play chess, with chess rules

it's including the official special moves (I'm don't know their english names, so i'll explain them)
French "promotion": when the pawn reach the last line and morph
French "roque": protect move between the king and one of the rooks (seems to be "castling")
French "prise en passant": move of a pawn "cutting" an enemy one start rush

I look for my orcish queen right there:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=285098#post285098
(some advert ^^)

When the 1.0 version will be finish, i'll will ask your help for a massive debug test ^^
(and after the debug, i'll add some useless features like camera moves)

Last edited:
Level 35
when the 1.0 version will be finish, i'll will ask your help for a massive debug test ^^
Sounds even better.

As far as I understand you right, there would only be two players in game?
If so then an upgrade idea (if map shows up fine) would be to make a tournement map where there are four or so chess macthes going on at the same time. Then the four winners dual two and two. And then the two winners dual. The last one is pronaunced Warcraft Chess Master / winner.
(Doesnt know if your triggers could handle multiable chess games in one map. But an idea how to evolve this map idea if it trns out a succes like the cardgames did.

Level 10
If so then an upgrade idea (if map shows up fine) would be to make a tournement map where there are four or so chess macthes going on at the same time. Then the four winners dual two and two. And then the two winners dual. The last one is pronaunced Warcraft Chess Master / winner.
(Doesnt know if your triggers could handle multiable chess games in one map. But an idea how to evolve this map idea if it trns out a succes like the cardgames did.

Or you could use the same system Soul Chess used and make it straight 4 way battles.

Level 9
As far as I understand you right, there would only be two players in game?
Yes, only two player
If so then an upgrade idea (...)
Step by step ^^'
A 1v1 map first, i'll see after for more
(Doesnt know if your triggers could handle multiable chess games ...)
They couldn't :/
some triggers are duplicate for each player
and some others are duplicate for each unit type
i was not allowed to do better than this, need some more option (especially for some instruction were you can only choose a constant unit and not a variable one)
if i want to do this, i've to do many many copy-paste :/

Last edited:
Level 35
Well, next time dont trible post, although the last post is okay.
I hostet your map on b-net and had some fun time playing chess with a russian. Problem was just he turned out to be a former chess master. So realy funny that if your good at normal chess your good at this, you even had the rockade in it. Impressiv done.
Only thing is as said more of it. You could make some menu's allowing you to pick differnt kind of games...
Like all enemy should be dead, not only checkmate. You should also make it so if the king is mate you should only be able to move him...(But maybe a bit hard to do)
Then there could be a speed game, timed turns if you havent move other player gets the turn.
Something else. But good work!
You should have entered the minigame contest..

Level 9
Well, next time dont trible post, although the last post is okay.
Well... 06-27-2007, 07-03-2007, Today, that's not really a tripple posting, you can't say i'm trolling ^^

he turned out to be a former chess master
Impressiv done.
Like all enemy should be dead, not only checkmate.
I don't understand these sentences...
too english for me ^^'
explanations?

But maybe a bit hard to do
No, but test checkmate need to test all possible move (alert checkmate with the Alt+G tool is on the list but that's not a priority) and sometime you can save the king by moving an other unit, so that's not a good idea to lock the selection to the king.

Then there could be a speed game, timed turns if you havent move other player gets the turn.
That's on the list too, and i've already found the chrono design:
a peon vs a peasant, each one hit the other one during the opponent turn
(setting would be done to make them loose 1 live point per second)
don't let die your worker!!! (maybe they should hit a castle instead...)

the actual priority: found the bugs, found a queen model, and found the willpower to fix memory leak ^^'

Level 9
Well I just meant with chessmaster that he was good to chess,
That the other words i don't understand
turned out? former?

The other was meaning something like very very good work
OK, i wasn't sure

That one of the game types could be that you have too kill all enemy, not just only the king...
Ah? ok, i was thinking you were talking about animations, that's more clear now
As i've ever said: debug, debug, debug, memory leak

Level 9
LaoshRa said:
Soulchess 1.19 EPIC (contact: LaoshRa@Northrend; www.clancbs.com)
Genre:
A mix between turn based strategy game, arena battles and other miscellaneous possibilities (it’s de facto NOT like normal chess). Consider the game to last about one hour if played with 4 players.

Looks great, but it's not a chess game, it's a custom game of Laosh'Ra with a chess thematic ;)

Level 9
Upload Update ^^

I've remembered something important: rockade is forbidden when king's in check
So check detect is absolutly required, so i've done it ^^

update features:
- check detect (using the shadow strike special effect)
- rockade disabled if the king is in check
- all orders are now managed (smart/move/attack/patrol to point/unit)
- major memory leak destroyed

and it's ever JASSless! ;p

next step: englishisize the game and add in game rules

technical next steps:
cancel your move if it put your king in check
forbid the rockade if the intermediate square is in check
allow the promotion to every kind of piece (not only dead ones)
... as said in the FIDE official rules

... or maybe i souldn't care, and create the "YoshiRyu official rules" :p

_
Does someone know how to disable the mouse's wheel's camera's input?
I want to let the player move camera pos by arrow, but not its slope
(eventually, i prefer let the player zoom with the mouse's wheel)

PS: don't be surprised if i don't reply quickly, i'm webless :(

EDIT: and i've a question,
do you think I sould use circle to show players where their selected unit can move?

Last edited:
Level 9
The v0.96 was bugged (not enough test, my apologies)

x0.97:
I've fix this, and change the promotion to the FIDE's one (no death piece needed)
I've also add in-game rules (do not hesitate to tell me if its not clear)

next step is to allow the player to rollback his oppenent turn if this one put himself in check (in fact, i won't put an automatic cancelation, because with it, the game could be finnished ^^')

i'm also searching how to change basic button description (move/attack/stop/...)
if someone know... (maybe with something like a custom script on map init)

and then, the queen (i'm working hard on the orc sorceress, i've already change the staff)

if i can edit the basic button, i'll probably do these:
Move > well "move", no change
Stop > show possible moves
Hold Pos > white flag
Attack > no idea, to find ^^
Patrol > design square (to the opponent)

and then, when all this will be finished, I'll think about the blitz mode

PS: i'm still webless, maybe the 8th...

@Zergleb : towers don't have move animation, that's why i've choosen to use mecanicals instead.

EDIT: still webless... (the 11th)

Last edited:
Level 9
the return of the net!
and i'm coming back with a new feature: the cancel option!
now, when your opponent put himself in check, you can cancel its move
(that's an ability wich is added to the king when it's necessary)

i haven't got time enouth to test it, so i don't remove the v0.97

enjoy

EDIT: map removed

Last edited:
Level 3
Try this. Don't even use a Queen for Orc. Instead, use an Ogre Lord and call him Warlord. Just think of an alternative that fits the lore. I'm sure it would be fine. Realistically speaking you won't find a decent Orc female model.

Level 9
if i had the wish to make a chess without warcraft 3 features, i wouldn't use warcraft's world editor to do it...
the aim of this project is having fun by hijacking (my new learned word) the warcraft system to use it a way it wasn't made for (without JASS)

but when it will be finished, this map will allow all customisations you want (that's easy to import and change 16 models and a little more icons)

Boring. Why not add a few things to make things more intresting than just stuff people have done before? Perhaps give some very simple spells to alter game a bit in some way to some of the more powerfull units (queen, king, tower etc.). Spells that perhaps does simple things like the tower can put up a wall to block passage and stuff like that.

Level 9
I'm making chess, nothing else
there is already chess game? and? it's forbidden to do mine...?
i want to make a chess game... not a custom one
am i not allowed to make what i want...?
if chess is to borring to you, made your own custom game...
i don't work for you! i work only for myself
if my map doesn't interrest you, don't play it

am i going on all TD project to say "do something else" because i dislike TD? no!

(this community is really starting borring me, when i make tuto, the only reply i have is "already done" and "do it better" nothing constructive; when i request a model, my request is trolled and people came to explain me i don't need it; and now in my map project, you're telling me "do something else"... can i post something here without someone who think he is allowed to order me what i have to do?)

Last edited:
Level 9
you can comment, but you can't tell me to do something else because chess is borring for you, if you dislike chess game, don't pay attention to this map.

this IS a chess game
this is nothing else!

i've said it clearly in the first post: a traditionnal chess game

now, if you've something to tell about gameplay, interface, animation, or bug, it's welcome, but i won't change the rules to please you!

i want to make a chess game, a real chess game, all comments that's telling me that i should better do something else that what i want are not welcome!

it has nothing to do with your "I LUV UR MEP" childish scornful caricature

I state my oppinion, I am allowed to do that, I never forced you to do any changes, don't you understand English properly?

Also, I do like chess but I just don't see why you would want to recreate what others have made in Warcraft many times before. Ofcourse you can do that, I don't care, but I just stated what I thought would make it more intresting and I won't shut up just because you get angry and keep on telling it is normal chess.

Level 9
in the first topic, i said clearly "a traditionnal chess game"
so, don't accept oppinion telling me to alterate the base of my project

I just don't see why you would want to recreate what others have made in Warcraft many times before
i'm not working, i'm having fun
it please me to do a chess game

it is normal chess
i want to do a normal chess, i tell it in the first post
i won't do something i doesn't want to do because you want it
that's my project, not your's, and that's a chess game, even if it does please you

yes i'm angry, why did you come here just to depreciate the concept?
the first post was a perfect comment, even if i disagree because i like very much the idea hums vs orcs, but the second just tell me to do something else that i'm doing!

yes i'm angry, why did you tell me that it was already done?
do you thing i'm stupid and fancy enough to think i'm doing indispensable important for the community...? i do it for me! for my fun!

Yes i'm angry, do you thing "boring" is constructive?

I never said you have to, I said you should, which is clearly stating my own opinion, how come you don't understand what I am saying? You just keep repeating yourself.

But whatever, you can do your chess game, that's fine by me but don't go angry and become a little cry baby over comments that doesn't praise whatever you do, with such a crappy attitude it would be great if you left.

Level 24
YoshiRyu, ragingspeedhorn is allowed to post his opinion, and as he said he was simply giving you a suggestion, he wasn't forcing you to do anything.

If you all keep on arguing about this, I will close the Thread. ragingspeedhorn dosn't like your idea YoshiRyu, just keep on working on your map as you like, don't making anymore posts about this to ragingspeedhorn, and he shouldn't post about it again.

Level 9
I said you should
I won't, that's not what i want to do

don't go angry
don't said "boring" and "already done"
that's not constructive

become a little cry baby
and stop insulting me!

EDIT
ragingspeedhorn dosn't like your idea YoshiRyu
I don't like TD, sould i go on each TD thread to say "borring, do a DotA instead"?
if he don't like the base idea, he can go out of my thread, there is other project
"borring, do something else" even if it's an oppinion, is unconstructive and useless
i won't do something else because it's too borring for him

Level 9
I ask ragingspeedhorn to forgive my reaction
but next time you want to make a comment, try to avoid to start it with "boring"

this project is a simple chess game; i've not started it with the aim to make a fabulous map wich be played and loved by every one in the world; i've just started it to see if it was possible to make a "non real time" board game (and when i started it with the first WE version, it was really not obvious); now, i know how to do it but i will finish the map before starting an other one.

For all that you say, i can tell you that i'm seriously thinking about release the map unprotected (so everyone will be able to change the design easily, and the map could be a basis to make alterate chess game)

And i'm also working on a custom board game but i'm still working on the concept at the moment cause it's not easy to make an exciting board game.

you can tell everything you want about the map gameplay
but every advise about concept is useless, i won't came back on it now

EDIT: i've just realised that your first post was already about alterate chess rules, i was thinking you were talking about piece design, so i realise that my first reply was totally impertinent and that your second post was relative to the first one which change a little its sense -_-

Last edited:
Level 40
I know this is like... more than a month late, but

"former" basically means "used to be"
"turned out" is a little harder to explain, but it effectively means "he/she/it was" in the sense that you didn't know that he/she/it was before, and you just found out.

And what Bob was saying was not that "ragingspeedhorn is right. You're wrong". He was saying that ragingspeedhorn doesn't like your map, and if you leave it like this, that's not going to change, but if you want to leave it like this, then don't let it bother you, and if you really don't want him posting about that here then don't talk to him about it. Don't lose any sleep if one person doesn't like the concept you based your map around.

Anyhow, I personally like the brought-up suggestion of the queen being an Ogre Warlord.

Also, I suggest you have something like an Ogre for orcs/Mountain King for humans (or somesuch) as the rook; the catapult/steam tank don't give the impression of a powerful piece in that sense.

Also, about the special move names:

"promotion" I don't think there's really any official name for this, but I could be wrong

"roque" is generally referred to as Castling. I think that this is more of a slang, however, as alot of people call rooks "castles" due to their appearance.

"prise en passant" is generally reffered to as "en passant", the french name. (No idea why an english name like "in passing" or something was never adopted)

Level 9
i was just thinking that "boring. why not ..." was his first words about the concept comming from nowhere, which sounds like "it's stupid to keep chess rules"
but in fact, it was the response to my previous post which was totally impertinent because i was mistaking about the sense of his first post
regardless to that, and because my english is to poor to read my own post with abstraction, i have no idea about the sense of my first reply for a english speaker, and i suppose it may sound agressive or maybe fancy...

and thanks for the english lesson
former = champion
turn out = superman ^^

for the special move, i've found all that on the web, it's already in the map

And for the queen, it was hard enought to found it, now i keep it preciously

Last edited:
Level 9
v0.99, the last upload before release
+camera management, an option to display moves and a model for the orcish queen

now i will work on an other board game,
still a chess-like game, but this one will be more warcraft way.

i let you hunt bugs in my map before release it
have fun! ^^

Level 6
hint1: you should re-apply the camera every 2 seconds or so... just in case someone presses insert or delete...

hint2: if multiple units are selected and you hold the cursor over one of the icons, the peon/peasant tooltip will be displayed. not very important, but if you feel like pasting piece rules, it'd be nice.

hint3: i know that making full ai would be madness, but you could make ai choose random valid move. that would make testing much easier for you and those who would set out to develop a new branch from it (if you release it).

Level 9
hint1: you should re-apply the camera every 2 seconds or so... just in case someone presses insert or delete...
in fact, i sould write somewhere that "Esc" re-center the camera
(you don't have insert or delete key event in WC3 ;)

hint2: if multiple units are selected and you hold the cursor over one of the icons, the peon/peasant tooltip will be displayed. not very important, but if you feel like pasting piece rules, it'd be nice.
exact
i've forgot that, i'll copy-past the movement's rules

hint3: i know that making full ai would be madness, but you could make ai choose random valid move. that would make testing much easier for you and those who would set out to develop a new branch from it (if you release it).
I've got several computer
but i'll think about it (because i think i'll release it unprotected)

Status
Not open for further replies.