• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Battle Arena Zero - Rel. + Discussion, formely Angel Arena Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Battle Arena Zero v0.1 Alpha Release, Formerly Angel Arena Zero
Date: 13-12-06
Map Author: Zerotech
E-Mail: [email protected]

Status 25% Complete

Q. What do you get when you combine one map of a certain type and another under a different mode?

A. You get 2 maps integrated into one.

Overview of Battle Arena Zero

Info. About this map
I am aware that a number of players have already have tested out the previous versions of Angel Arena Z scattered throughout the internet.
The overall gameplay of all the versions that the map author have made have been a major transitions, thus creating a more dynamic gameplay atmosphere.

Ever wondered what it would be like to combine one map of a particular role and another map of a different role. By experiment the feelings are somewhat mixed. As this release is in development stages.

A lot of work needs to be done before the author declares its finished product.

In case you were wondering about the sudden name change, I've decided to provide my explanation of the changes (details are below the page) to improve the overall image of the map and as well as the Angel Arena projects.

What's new and different compared to all the other Angel Arena series?
A lot has changed, not just in visual appearences, also the gameplay role has changed dramatically, as people are adjusting to new gameplay enviroments. The map has taken over 3 months to complete from scratch and it is still a long way to go into completion. I'll start by explaining what this version contains comparing to the rest.

Whats NEW? That has been added
o Hero Selection Module redeveloped, now you can select heros from tavens instead of navigating (incomplete)
o New Heros added (Not many has been added as the author have begun fixing the map for any memory leaks)
o Re-Established Items, new and existing
o Item Manual Sets Complete restructuring - Combining certain items as well as the manual will transform into improved weapons and protection at your disposal
o Visual Layout has been redesigned from beginning
o Trigger Codes are now been re-written from scratch as all other Angel Arena Series they use the same coding algorithm and thus the code structure are prone to memory leaks
o Reduced the amount of memory leaks in the map, thus preventing any abnormal gameplay bugs and crashes
o Imposed limits on Gate Creeps spawning, the limit is 8 on each camp (this is done in order to reduce the memory it takes and improves on gameplay)

What's yet to be added/improved
o The basic foundations of the Angel Arena Series
o Preview - 2 Gameplay modes integrated into one
o Incomplete coding structure, It is not finished at time of writing
o New and existing Heros have yet to be added
o Item Sets have not been fully completed or implemented
o Additional Quests have yet to be established
o Duel Arena have yet to be installed
o Multi-Arena is yet to be established (more info. about it on future releases)
o TOP-SECRET - A New System will be established, cannot discuss of what this system is about. Info. about this new system will be elaborated upon future releases

Why a name change to the map based on the Angel Arena series?
To start off, I am aware there are various releases of the Angel Arena series. Most of the releases are edited and repacked. Most of the various releases uses the same psuedo-coding from the original Angel Arena series.

I've decided to change the name as the new name change will appeal to the target audience, thus creating an enviromental atmosphere. The idea is to attract as much of the audience as possible at the same time to keep the
map appealing. It is impossible to satisfy everyone as they have their different interests on how they like to play their game.

Why have you decided to write the code from scratch instead of using the existing coding from the Angel Arena Maps?
As far as I'm aware the coding structure that was used are heavily bugged, memory leaks were occuring at an alarming rate which could lead to the game unstable and prone to crashing. Warcraft III crashes happen more likely on bad edited maps which have a lot of memory leaks rather than the game itself (apart from hardware issues not relating to specific playable maps).

Another reason I've decided to write the code from scratch is to keep the coding organized and balanced so if changes were needed to be done, it can be retrieved in a matter of moments rather than replacing the existing coding values. It's a case of If it's broken, replace it rather than If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I am aware as this is not a finished product, bugs are expected to happen, Provide your feedback to the map
author here via email (contact details are on top of page)

Releases of this map are coming soon, for now I will start by providing some screenshots.

Keep an eye out on this thread for future releases.

UPDATE: Due to Forums File Size Limits, I'm unable to send the files directly to the board, instead I will upload it onto my personal webspace.

Link to : Battle Arena Zero v0.1 Alpha Dev. Preview Test Rel. 1

NOTES:
o Duel Arena isn't setup properly, this will be fixed before an official release can be made.
o Trigger Coding has been re-written from scratch in order to stablize the gameplay, existing Angel Arena map releases are using the same code.
o Multiboard is not active, it was setup as the design template, priorities are needed to be addressed first before any work on the multiboard can be commenced.
o Map is approx. 4mb big, custom sounds and icons have been added and the author is yet to be determined on how they are finalized and managed.
o Limits have been imposed on gate spawn creeps in order to minimize memory usage and preventing memory leaks.
o Map is currently NOT PROTECTED, Feel free to use the trigger code as such on your map projects, but please respect my work and not hosting this map on a regular occurence as possible leaked versions may happen. Author has decided that this map will be OPEN SOURCE until the author states otherwise.

Level 40
For now, I'll give it avg, but...

A) From the screenshots, I noticed that there doesnt seem to be a single trigger in there to do with spells, items, etc. Try and make the spells unique, the items different, etc, so that your map isnt just another old, basic, arena.

B) Why is that ultimate weapon thing free? lol

Level 1
Thanks for the replies.

Ill start off elaborating with the items and the spells. Currently only about 20% of the items have their abilities set. The hero abilities have yet to be implemented at this stage as I'm still working on the action triggers.

It can be a pain to get it right, so far I haven't got the duel arena working properly, let alone the multi-arena that I have proposed and have some draft developments happening.

Basically it's a matter of priorities of what needs to be done first, from my point of view the coding structure needs to be addressed first, so that the basic gameplay functions can work properly without major incidents.

Oh yeah about that Altima Weapon being a free weapon, I happen to put it there as a test weapon, it will be part of the game, but have yet to esablish it's primary location and it's main objectives in order to accquire it, and other ultimate weapons such as the Holy Warfare and the Guardian Force will be part of the Ultimate Items category and can only be obtained via a sub-quest ie. obtaining the required items and being in a specific location in order to transform the neccessary criteria in order to happen as well as Item Sets (works just like Diablo II Item Sets).

Atm the coding structure had to be written from scratch and the whole map had to be redesigned from the beginning so that I can focus better on working on the things it needs one at a time, so far I'm kind of scrambled as to decide if I should fix up the Duel Arena, Displaying the Multiboard correctly, adding custom abilities, finalising the items that are avaiable to purchase, completing the gate creeps spawning and the list goes on etc.

A lot of work needs to be done, I'm not suprised that I would be given an Average rating, although it was given for the right reasons.

I would like however to get in touch with the original author of the angel arena series, if anyone happens to know LiL_DeviL_Child please give my thanks to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.