• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Baneling or ''How do you kill what wants to die?''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
They probably will have some major down side.

Some of the protos AoE abilities will probably eat them for breakfast.
As for terran AoE units, probably the same.

Undoughtably they will also have below average HP for their cost if they are as stong as they sound.

Thus I say they are for killing large slow attacking units during a large attack to soften them up if not critically damage them. However also they probably will be good on building and so might make good anti tower units if the tower is strategically placed. If they can borrow, ambusing may also be possiable but again that would only stop small assult armies. Main attack armies should have 1 unit of detection with them atleast otherwise they deserve to have their expensive units blown to buggery by unburrowing under them while the rest of the meatshield is fighting.

Level 2
As of the latest build, the Nydus Worms can be seen at all times without detection, and have relatively low HP. Focus fire will easily kill them, but if they do manage to go unnoticed and emerge in your base, you could be in a world of hurt.

P.S. This info comes from blue posts at Bnet forums, not personal experience, just so you know.

Level 6
thats stupid, easy to see but easy to get killed by them if you don't see. that is an odd concept, so odd i can really even explain why i hate it so much. why cant they just have a nydus tunnel like in SC1? and how can focus fire kill something that is underground? so its kinda easy to spot, but the one time you don't spot it, it pops up right next to your resource gatherers and release banelings on them and destroy your command center, so you can't rebuild or make new workers. thats when i kick over my computer in pure anguish after cussing the other player out and then quiting the game...angerly.

it is as easy to spot as it is to be killed by it

Level 2
It's basically an improved shuttle unit.

Not entirely. You should really read the last couple of batches on the Bnet forums. Specifically, look at this thread and Batch 40. Karune gives quite a bit of insight into the Nydus Worms. Surprisingly, they actually work very similarly to the old Nydus Canals, but with some new twists. Quite an interesting mechanic, to say the least.

Level 40
Aye, I know. Hence why it's an improved shuttle unit.

Without that mechanic, they'd be terrible, due to their high tech requirements and lack of flying.

I'm not sure I exactly understand how you'll be able to specify where you want people to go when inside the Nydus network, but I guess we can only wait.

Level 2
Gotta love how off-topic this post has gotten :D

The baneling, just like it's sc1 cousin Infested Terran, probably won't get used nearly as much as people think. The infested terran had HUGE (500?) damage, but how many times did you really see people trying to infest a CC with their queen to get these uberly powerful guys? Srsly. The only difference will be the tech level of banelings are going to be lower, so they'll be easier to get, but due to that, they will be severely weakened.

The zerglings are cheap, and effective, fast, reusable. Banelings, do they cost anything to morph to from zergling? Research cost maybe? If any cost, the zergling will still be the more effective rusher. And a properly done rush will prove damaging, and with possible return of your own units. If you were to use banelings, you'd lose your forces and be unable to keep the attack going. These guys are only for the initial wave of an attack to weaken defenses IF you can catch them by surprise.

well the banelings killed by marines wont explode? but the ones that get to the marines cause a chain reaction? or just kill nearby banes without actually causeing greater damage, i think since they are chemical when one baneling kills others with its explo they all should explo causeing greater range, and more acid damage(is it over time? i havnt read alot on sc2)

Status
Not open for further replies.