• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Bane - A "Hybrid RTS"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Muahahahhaha!

UPDATE. Ok, I am hoping to release a demo version with a near-complete Manipulator, as well as most of the completed units.
I have scrapped the Hide system, as it interferes with a lot of other things, such as magical invisibility etc.
I have completed the majority of 24 basic units and, after the demo, I will finish making the Shadow Spawn.
I am redesigning the tooltips, with a paragraph of practical information about the unit, and another with miscellaneous information.

UPDATE AGAIN. Awesome new banner :D
Added information about what exactly will happen at the start of the game to the General Information section of the thread.

YET ANOTHER UPDATE :mad:. Added a bit to the Manipulator bit regarding Rituals, a new form of magic! :D

Last edited:
Level 3
I would love to test the beta if possible. Any new information on the Infection race and the Manipulator, They sounds awsome :D.

{EDIT}
Will the Infection race feature in the demo?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 19
Yeah, there is more stuff on the Manipulator, who will feature in the upcoming demo which i hope to finish in a week or so.

{EDIT}
Nope, haven't even started it, though all the planning is done.

Level 19
I hope to release the demo version today. :D

EDIT. DONE! After a tiring day of brainstorming Silhouette ability ideas, I finally managed to finish!
As I have said, this demo mainly features the Manipulator - minus several abilities - and some units.
I will now either do the Infection race, or the Shadow Spawn...

Last edited:
Level 3
Okay, I've had time to test this now, so here is my comments on the Manipulator.
I think the concept is really great, and you're definately on the right path. However, I don't feel that this setup really utilizes the concept properly.
Here is my suggestions on how to improve it.

I would like the Manipulator to be more... Manipulating. The Doombolt and Scrying are both nice abilities(Especially the last one), but none of them seem quite approiate.

The Domination spell is fine, so the Complete Domination(Convert) and the Kill spell, but i think you could do better. For example abilities like this:
*Standard* -Domination (Fine as it is.)

Complete Domination (This would be better if it cost some mana. Maybe make a limit to how many could be converted at a time? Maybe a the cost could be decreased and the limit increased by leveling the ability?)

"Kill-spell" (This is to simple and boring for an ability. I think that the ONLY way the Manipulator should regain mana would be by using this ability. Something like "Add(number of units killed) to Manipulators Current Mana.". That would make it feel a lot more usefull)

*NOTE: The three above mentioned spells should be standard. Maybe levelable, but then the Manipulator should start with them all in lvl 1. Also DON'T have them in spellbooks if it can in any way be avoided. Having spell, especially standard spells, in spellbooks is annyoing and inefficient.*
Maybe add a some different abilities that requires dominated victims to function. That would be great. I hope to be truly amazed by the end of this.

Level 4
Hey wereguy2, Glad the demo is here and ofcourse i gave it a shot :)
The manipulator looks really nice (Noticed the model from the campaign uhh.. dreamlords or something?) I was just leveling my manipulator and noticed that I could solo an entire army >:p , was this really his point?

Do you have any ideas how to solve this in the start of the game? because i think he can just manipulate someones entire base in start .. game over?

Will he be able to manipulate builders?

P.S. 2 more posts for an awesome post count :)

Level 19
Pretty good ideas, I will read them properly sometime tomorrow, as I am busy now.

{EDIT}
No, he will not be able to manipulate builders, this would just make it stupid.
I will probably give the Doombolt spell a cooldown.
Lulz, 1234 posts.

EDIT. Ok, I am currently making some changes to the Manipulator. I am going to give the doombolt a longish cooldown (60s+5/Level) and a higher mana cost. It's maximum damage will also be drastically reduced to about 5+5/Level or even lower. It is pretty much his only form of personal defense (though he will have the Ritual of Summoning, which I will probably implement in the next update, as well as the Infection race).
Scrying I will keep mostly the same, it is his way of subtly finding out where units to manipulate actually are, instead of running around looking for them, it fits his style.

I am not sure about the Complete Control thing, maybe I will limit the amount of units he can control using some sort of (level x 2) + 5 equation...
Maybe I will make the Manipulation Menu abilities dependent on his level. This would mean that he does not have to actually spend ability points on them, but levelling would still influence their effects.
For example, with the kill spell, i could do something like (Number of killed units x level/3) + 1...
Units in warcraft do not have enough ability slots to make these regular abilities, so I will keep them on another units. The manipulator will be using a spellbook ability for his rituals, he would only use these every so-often anyway, so it wouldn't be much of a hassle.

EDIT AGAIN. Lol, the infection race, which I have made a surprising amount of progress on, is currently ridiculously overpowered. I will probably make killing an enemy unit only have a chance to spawn a new Infected unit.

Level 4
You could also make it like , it spawns really weak units , or maybe really slow ones.. and you might combine them to make them stronger.. sounds like an infection to me and it will get rid of controlling masses of units if you dont want to.

Level 3
are you using models for the infection race because its boring seeing zombies. I tested the demo and it was really nicely. Are you going to give the terrain grass and such?

Level 19
No, I will not be using many, if any, custom models for the Infection race. I'm pretty sure it says (many times) that the terrain is nowhere near completion... D:

EDIT. Okay, I hope to finish the new version sometime soon, which will include the Infection race and a slightly improves Manipulator. After that I will hand the map over to leet.firefox, who will work on the terrain (He has already done a little bit and it looks great).

EDIT2. Done, new version uploaded.

Last edited:
Level 19
Bump! :D
Here's a terrain progress screenshot. It's too forested though...

Attachments

• Terran.jpg
    Terran.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 136
Level 5
i have a great solution to ur "infected are OP".

simple as this, make em very slow, like 1/3 to 1/4 the speed of normal units, and make em a lil tougher.

or have like 2 infected and everyone else human and have an epic war :D

Level 22
mana sounds good, probably a longer cool down. its just damn annoying to have to select all the units ur gonna convert one by one. a small AoE would also help balance things out. and instead of insta kill, u could just deal a certain amount of damage, stun, etc.
chance to convert would be intresting as well.
just makin few suggestions.
how big would armies be?

Level 19
No, some just do.
I'll fix that.

UPDATE!!!
Okay, I fear that this project may be slowly declining. For one, the terrain isn't really working out (no, this is not your fault, leet), so instead of a proper underworld map corresponding to the overworld, it will consist of numerous caverns. These will only be accessible through the overworld, and will be separate from each other.
I will upload a new version within the next few days, with new terrain and some minor changes.

EDIT. Except an update tomorrow.

EDIT2. Okay, uploaded a new version, and I may have a new Legendary Unit idea. Well, this is actually two, slightly weaker ones that must work together. They will either be controlled by two players or by one through Shared Control and will be very interdependent - one dealing damage and the other healing and slowing etc. I have two similar looking models which would really suit this concept. One is all fiery, while the other, frozen.

Last edited:
Level 19
Okay, I am now officially ditching this project. However, I will upload an unprotected version which people may freely edit and, hopefully, even complete!
If someone does decide to do this, feel free to ask me for help and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.