• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Ask Tutorials in Warcraft III!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Ask Tutorials in Warcraft III !

Welcome to Ask Tutorials in Warcraft III! So in this thread I am going to be teaching you guys tutorials about triggering in Warcraft III: How to trigger, how to import and more! I have a lot to teach you guys if you are willing to learn Warcraft III Editing - and if you have zero experience with the World Editor, a tool that is older than I am!
It's simple, you can tell me what you want to learn in Warcraft III World Editor and I will teach you how to do it in a YouTube video on my channel! So that you can easily understand and so that I can generate views.

Ask me and don't be scared! Just tell me what you wanna learn and I will teach you how to..... and get money from YT for explaining stuff that already has plenty of tutorials both on YT and on Hive!

Activity: I am only online during the weekend.

This thread is about teaching you the important things in Warcraft III Editing and even more.The purpose of this thread is to let you explore the World of Editing in Warcraft III's World Editor. Teaching you everything you want to know. Just ask me and I will tell you everything you wanna know - if I know it or after I looked up tutorials myself.

Note: Only ask for Warcraft III World Editor Questions because I do not want to be trolled!!!!

Last edited:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Ask Tutorials in Warcraft III !

Welcome to Ask Tutorials in Warcraft III! So in this thread I am going to be teaching you guys tutorials about triggering in Warcraft III: How to trigger, how to import and more! I have a lot to teach you guys if you are willing to learn Warcraft III Editing - and if you have zero experience with the World Editor, a tool that is older than I am!
It's simple, you can tell me what you want to learn in Warcraft III World Editor and I will teach you how to do it in a YouTube video on my channel! So that you can easily understand and so that I can generate views.

Ask me and don't be scared! Just tell me what you wanna learn and I will teach you how to..... and get money from YT for explaining stuff that already has plenty of tutorials both on YT and on Hive!

Activity: I am only online during the weekend.

This thread is about teaching you the important things in Warcraft III Editing and even more.The purpose of this thread is to let you explore the World of Editing in Warcraft III's World Editor. Teaching you everything you want to know. Just ask me and I will tell you everything you wanna know - if I know it or after I looked up tutorials myself.

Note: Only ask for Warcraft III World Editor Questions because I do not want to be trolled!!111!

Fixed a few things for you.

Level 14
man are you trolling us

No i am not trolling you guys.... As you can see I only know Triggering and Important stuff that bigginers need to know in Warcraft III's World Editor, You can't simply say like when will be the next Update of other people campgains be released because I am not part of the project tell me Warcraft III World Editor stuff that I can make a video with in Youtube for you guys to know. Note that I will also be Hosting Hiveworkshop in the process to gain more and more people in the community.....

Level 12
But that's what the whole World Editor Help Zone is about, posting questions, this is making an inception out of things. Here's a suggestion: when a new topic is make in the
World Editor Help Zone that you find interesting, make a video on it and post it as a reply, if there's already a reply then make sure the video adds something more to the topic. And please don't make us travel back in time with those Tutorials made with a notepad and copyright free music from 2002 that's blasting full volume, the tutorials for warcraft 3 on YT are poor enough as it is.

1. Your English is bad.
  2. Your knowledge is probably subpar.
  3. Video "lessons" are much worse than well sourced textual explanations.
  4. Coupled with #1, your videos will have bad English as well
  5. We already have forums with thousands of threads that pertain to specific questions, so it's actually hard for you to create a video that's more informative than what we already have
  6. I don't understand the motivation of trying to get views for videos for a basically 15 year old dead game, if you want that, make videos about Fortnite or something
  7. Creating unstructured videos will not even be helpful in the end, since unstructured (but helpful and searchable) information already exists in thousands of threads on THW, and the information can be reached through searching

Level 20
How can i import/export object editor data from one map to another?
There's an "Export/Import all object data" under File. This will only work for the object data, not the imported files, though.

If you meant the imported files... Well, I don't know about the expanded/user-made editors, but in the original one the only way I know of is using "Export all files" in the Import Manager and then import it to another map. Note, this will require you to re-edit all custom file paths manually.

If you're making a series of single-player maps, just use the Campaign Editor, import the object data and all files there and you'll be able to freely use it for every single map in the campaign.

Level 14
How can i import/export object editor data from one map to another?
It's simply dude all you need to do is go to Object Editor and go to file then find Export/Import All Object Data, if you wan't to export the object or you want to import one. If you wan't to move a Object Data to your map then all you need to do is, Export All Object Data find a folder which you can put your Object Data, Load your map and Import All Object Data in Object Editor. Done! So simple!

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 20
But that's what the whole World Editor Help Zone is about, posting questions
That is correct. The biggest issue with the OP's idea is that he's basically trying to do what WEHZ is already doing better, since:

1. When someone asks a question on the forum, he will likely get an answer pretty quickly, perhaps even within minutes or a couple of hours depending on the question's difficulty level, instead of waiting for the OP to make and upload a video.

2. The OP will answer from the perspective of a single person, whereas there are multiple skilled users on the Hive, each with a different ideas or level of knowledge, so you have better chances of getting a good answer here.

3. I don't know how the OP would go about this, but on the Hive there is an option to easily share custom code or just straight up share your map with the community to have someone examine the issue firsthand and perhaps even fix it right away.

when a new topic is make in the World Editor Help Zone that you find interesting, make a video on it and post it as a reply
Seeing as how fast things are generally answered around here, I think this would be a bit counter-productive as chances are that before the OP would upload his video, someone would have already solved the presented issue :)

Video "lessons" are much worse than well sourced textual explanations.
I disagree. It depends what kind of lessons we are talking about.

If the OP would try to make semi-advanced+ tutorials or answer individual questions then you're right - it's probably better to just go with a well written tutorial instead, but... If he's about to make video guides for beginners then that's a completely different story, granted he would actually show how things are done in the video. Simply having that visual representation of the stuff that is being talked about is a tremendous help for people who are new.

Granted, there's not a lot of those considering Warcraft 3 is an old game and thus I doubt such guides would get a lot of views.

You could try to bundle starter themes and informations together, for which you think visual help is useful and then provide them as video format.
This.

@Wardota2 Gamer - if you really want to make content for Warcraft 3, I'd recommend that you just make a series of guides about the basic stuff for the beginners. Try to explain things in as simple manner as possible and actually show everything that you do on screen, so that people watching might actually see how things are done.

As @DaneTheBeast mentioned, quality is the key here. It'd be best if you didn't use any music or have a general Warcraft music playing quietly in the background. Notepad is bad, use a microphone. Also, if you want the guide to be really useful - some video editing skills would be welcome, for instance - if you make a guide about the basic terrain editing, you could put a frame around the buttons in the terrain palette to highlight the ones you are talking about or zoom them in a bit, so that it's easier to see what you are doing/discussing than having the user follow your cursor.

Also, while a well made video series about the basics would definetely be a nice addition to the tutorial section, chances are that you won't really get too many views on them. As I've mentioned, there aren't many new people getting into W3 map making these days, so yeah... If you want to grow as a youtuber, you'd be better off just looking into other games.

Status
Not open for further replies.