1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Ask a Psychologist Anything

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ash, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Empirean

Empirean

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    what? its perfectly valid.

2. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ooooooh, a research psychologist studying cognition!

I've got a few.

I'm going back to university for a dual major in psychology and computer science. I'm very interested in the cognition of perception and memory models - specifically human-computer interaction. What are some of the most interesting new developments in our understanding of memory and perception in your eyes?

Can you talk about any of the research you are working on?

3. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    You mentioned counseling above. What's your opinion about counseling? It's something I've thought about pursuing as a career. First I need to go to counseling to see what it's like and how it affects me, but I've always been attracted to the idea of talking to people for a living, and helping them.

I assume, since you recommended it to someone, you think it's a good thing.
    So to start..

What is your general opinion about counseling?
    Why go to counseling?
    What is the role of a counselor?

I also assume this is not your field professionally, but I'd still love to hear your opinion.

4. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    People are strange.

It's a matter of perspective. You shouldn't only do the things you love, because then we'd never get everything done. You should love everything you're doing, though, because you'll never get the chance to do it in the same way ever again.

Good questions, and maybe the first that are directly related to what I'm actually! Congratz on choosing your major; I hope you enjoy it! I'm interested in perception too, but not so much HCI. To that end, I don't really keep up with their literature, but I have a close friend that does. If you wanted me to ask him anything, I'd be happy to.

But, to answer both of your questions at once, the most interesting stuff I'm currently playing around with relates to how effects we typically consider to be embodied (aka, directly related to sensorimotor information) interact with one another. At present, my research concerns spatial semantics, numbers and affordances. During the PhD, I've made a case for the existence of a pre-linguistic, generalised magnitude system that, via means of spreading activation and common coding, causes some very interesting effects. For example, the spatial semantics of words, object microaffordances and number presentations bias attention in ways similar hypothesised by the concept of mental number space. Most interestingly, though, are that the interactions observed have been both facilitatory and superadditive in nature. In other words, depending upon the direction of the effect (bottom up vs top down processing) you are able to observe some really interesting responses from participants - even in low level cognitive processes like properties of eye movement. It is 8:30am where I live, and I'm still waiting for the first coffee to kick in: I hope this makes sense! If I can help out with your direction of study at all, please let me know. Collaboration is cool

Counselling is a good profession. In the UK it can get a bad rap from people that believe you should put up and shut up, but these are the exact people that would benefit from an intervention. It is not weak to admit you're suffering from something, and it is certainly not weak to get help. Counselling can be beneficial for any number of reasons from the obvious (depression, anxiety), to the not-so-obvious (just needing some help figuring things out). During a session you're in a receptive, reflective space: the mental health professional actually does very little beyond displaying unconditional positive regard. That is, the counsellor just accepts you as a person. They may make suggestions and honestly sound their thoughts, but in the end it is you that is most familiar with your own mind. These people are there to help you to realise that.

I respect consellors hugely. It is an incredibly difficult field, both in terms of getting into and staying in. But, we need people to do it. Good luck.

5. TheLordOfChaos201

TheLordOfChaos201

Resources:
    Resources:
    one of my late friends was dying of cancer but his family refused to treat it like a problem. so much so that it was actually damaging his perception of reality. they put him through the rest of highschool, got him a job and he worked like a normal guy right up until his death

with absolutely no last day celebration or blowing all his money because he was going to die... he died like a whisper.

it felt like, is this it?

anyway I just wonder what is the correct course of action when you know you will die soon?

6. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's horrible to hear, I'm sorry your friend went through that. Your question is broad, and as such I feel answering it may do you a misjustice. I don't want to leave you empty handed, so I'm going to rephrase the question.

"What is the correct course of action if you are going to die soon due to causes you are unable to prevent"

Accept it. Take pleasure in the moment. Know, now more than ever, you will never experience something as beautiful as what you are experiencing right now. Live.

Please know this is just opinion, unmotivated by research. I don't know work in this field, so this is only how I feel about the matter.

7. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hearing from friends, their experience with a counselor was often more directed or hands on (for lack of the right word). They would receive "unconditional positive regard" (I call that love :p), but sometimes that means hearing what you don't want to and having someone call you on your bullshit.

Edit: I googled unconditional positive regard. Really fascinating stuff! When I studied philosophy, this was the kind of thing I really enjoyed. I never got around to taking psychology, but I have a feeling I would really enjoy it.

From my wikipedia research, UPR seems like the exact thing that Christians have been trying to teach for a couple thousand years. Unconditional love is what humanity desires most of all. Even if we don't think so.

8. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Checkmate, Athiests. :p

9. TheLordOfChaos201

TheLordOfChaos201

Resources:
    Resources:
    when I was younger, I tried committed suicide several times

the thing I never understood was. when Ever I started to bleed out I would panic and seal up the wound. my intention was truly and absolutely to die, but yet when I was slowly dying I refused

what's up with that?

10. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Again, I have to stress that I'm an academician. My psychology comes in the form of research, specifically the examination of how things like attention and memory are embedded in different processes.

As of such, I really can't answer your question to a degree that would give you satisfaction and me piece of mind. I do hope you're feeling better than you were when you were younger, though.

11. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm too much of a prick at times. I think it's a waste to display emotions to certain people. I get annoyed when I receive answers out of context, mostly because it somehow feels that I've heard it all before. I believe that it's all caused by a lack of patience. So, how do I overcome this?

12. TheLordOfChaos201

TheLordOfChaos201

Resources:
    Resources:
    could you explain what a volatile personality is?

I have a stress triggered volatile personality, it's only ever triggered twice both times during school exam time period

13. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Try Mindfulness. These thoughts you have, emotions, whatever you want to call them, they're not you. They will pass, and you will still be here. Just observe them, watch them come like clouds and then watch them leave again.

This is really something you should discuss with your mental health professional. I know of no mental illness termed as stress triggered volatile personality, so I really don't want to speculate.

14. Roland

Roland

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    Is this true?

15. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes.

16. xxdingo93xx

xxdingo93xx

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Okay, here's a situation, followed by a question.
    Back in the days, there were some people who brought me only negativity and hatred in my life, for quite some time.
    After a few years, our roads have split and we didn't see each other for another couple of years.
    Within that time apart, I surpassed those people in most (probably all) aspects of life, because I kinda used this negativity as the fire that keeps me going, after I had that click-moment in my head.
    Now, years of no contact have passed and the very same people who gave me a hard time are trying to get in contact with me.
    I have no idea why, since we have nothing in common and we've never even been on a neutral level.
    Furthermore, I guess I've never forgotten what they did, because I still feel some kind of anger just thinking about how they've been earlier.

Now the question.
    What should I do? Should I respond, leave it or act like nothing happened?

17. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    IAMAP/T, but I think that it's important to recognize the influence of people/things around you and act accordingly (seek out/keep the good, get rid of/avoid the bad). Follow your gut and avoid people/situations that drag you down, keeping you from being your Best Self.

Imagine, however, the worst- & best-case scenarios. Worst-case scenario, your friends are just like they always were (or worse), and getting together with them will (continue to be) no good. Best-case, however... Well, thing is, people change. You said as much yourself, about yourself. : ) So what's stopping them from making changes in their lives? Perhaps they are in a better place as well, and these people (once you guys work out the issues of the past, the anger/guilt/etc) could be a great rekindled friendship for you!

Think of it this way: a long time ago, you had a friend who you dragged down with your antics & demeanor. Years have passed and you've turned your life around, and you'd love to reconnect, maybe even make up for all those years... So you send out some feelers, trying to reestablish contact. What would you want?

TL;DR, go ahead and court their advances. Feel them out & determine their intentions; no harm there. If things look good, move forward with the reconciliation process; if not, cut off ties politely again & move on with your life.

18. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm wondering. I might or might not asked this before, but let's just ask AGAIN!

Back in the earlier day. I somewhat develop a sense of "secondary person" inside me.
    This person sorts of act as main key of negative thought (most of time) and tend to intervene with my decisions, mostly romance influenced ones. I had to resist it's influence to keep my actual decision on, and it was very bugging.

Sometimes there are clashes in mind back in the day which influence my capability to handle decisive situations. Though I get rid of it mostly now (good riddance), it still have a small fraction of presence inside me, though locked and imprisoned (I can really faintly sense it, even as I type this).

Any explanation on this, your views or maybe from academical side?

I know this is sort of stupid, but yeah, life's full of wonderful mysteries.

19. TheLordOfChaos201

TheLordOfChaos201

Resources:
    Resources:
    I actually had the same thing daffa Had, but mine were good

they disappear with age. I lost mine at my first age 19

20. xxdingo93xx

xxdingo93xx

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    They might, but from all that I've heard, they're not much better than they were in the past. If they feel like living in a better situation, that's good for them, but the surroundings obviously don't see/receive anything from that.
    By the way, there NEVER was some kind of friendship involved whatsoever. It was just like we were kind of forced to daily see each other, even though I didn't want to. They were the one provoking this bad blood, and now they suddenly are interested in what I'm doing. Probably just natural human curiosity, but still weird.

Anyways, thanks for your reply. Does really sound wise.